• Published 26th Mar 2013
  • 744 Views, 5 Comments

The Big Grim Happy Family - roguesoul



If you thought all ponies were happy, loving, adorable plush creatures that never hated, fought, or did any dirty work; then you are a gullible foal, cause that doesn't come close to the truth.

  • ...
3
 5
 744

The Diary of Grim

Rain pattered the window sill and a roll of thunder drummed across the sky. Almost every pony was huddled in there homes near the glow of the fireplace. In an small cottage outside of Detrot sat a young colt in his room every curtain shut and a firefly lantern glowing on the desk where he sat. With his gray hooves he cleared the desk of papers, letting the parchment float to the floor. A flash of white lightning flew by causing the silver dagger in his telekinetic grip to glint eerily.

He set the dagger down gently the name of the Shadow king flashing in the light of faint light of the lantern. The colt winced is his memory flashed back to when he got his cutie mark in the caverns beneath the earth. That searing pain as the cloud and lightning burned into his flesh with the intensity of fire. He wondered if it hurt like that for everypony. He didn't have the guts to ask his father though.

Using a quiet push of magic he lifted a thin book out from under the bed. The top was dusty, but from under the layer of dust he could see the same old cursive writing, "The Diary of Grim."



Entry 1:

Mother said I should create a journal, she says that I could write down my thoughts in here. Thought one: My life is the pits. I feel that wherever I go ponies are giving me weird looks, especially the unicorns. They don't like that I'm an earth pony, but can do magic. Mom says I'm just special; I think it is just weird. Only unicorns are supposed to do magic and yet, I can do things.

Sometimes in the middle of the night I hear voices in the shadows. They tell me to come and find them, but they scare me. What if they come from the griffins. Griffins have been threatening Equestria from years now because they think the princess is the cause for their missing trade caravans. She probably is, but I don't know. All I know is war is going to happen sooner or later.


Entry 2

Insomnia you are a heartless bitch. I haven't been able to sleep in days; ever since the Summer Sun Celebration. The shadows are more talkative then before, but seem to always be speaks in riddles. But their meanings are true; they want be to find them. And every night they get louder and louder. Tonight, even as the candle light glows I am not safe from the cacophony of voices. I don't think its the Griffins any more though. According to my teacher Griffins can't do magic, but are stronger then pegausi when it comes to carrying things and flying. Well, that last part actually wasn't from my teacher, but the Captain of the Guard in Canterlot. It was in his speech how even though Griffins are faster, stronger, and possibly smarter then us we have a chance to defeat them in war.

Yeah that's right you heard me; the Griffins have invited us up to the challenge and the princess has accepted. I only hope we make it through to see the next sunrise.


Entry 3

War has begun. The masses of soldiers have begun the march west to the Griffin Kingdom as the griffins themselves prepare for battle. But this is what I don't understand, the griffins only challenged Equestria because they thought we were attacking their caravans. Sure from what I've been taught the griffins need all the supplies they can get cause of their unfertile rocky land, but why would we steal their stuff? Equestria is rich in supplies and according to the history books we have been allies of the griffins in the past. Why think it was us that stole their supplies and also; why would Princess Celestia agree to go to war? Its all very.... odd.

There is a story going around. It's just a rumor, but it says that some kind of creature has been attacking the caravans. It's totally possible, but its a story nothing more.

Entry 4

My magic is getting better and the ponies in the village are giving me stranger and stranger looks. Mom says I'm being silly, but the teachers don't like me. They give me weird looks. And whenever I make friends the next day, they say they can't be friends with anymore because of their parents. I don't understand, what I do wrong?

Star Spark say's I'm a freak, that his dad the village leader, says that Mom and I suffer for our treason. Star Spark is a dickhead, but is he right? I always used to brush off the whispers and the names, but I can't seem to stop thinking about these. It doesn't help that I can't sleep.

I wonder what would happen if I followed the voices.

Probably get killed by a griffin.... I guess that wouldn't be a huge loss.

Entry 5

I've started following the voices. They lead me to the graveyards, as if I didn't get enough dirty looks. But I've started eating lunch with Mr. Funny Bones, he's the Undertaker. He's sort of grumpy, but he's really funny. And morbid, but who wouldn't working here. But he doesn't stare at me funny like the folks in town do. Mom doesn't like it, she says I should play with foals my age. But school's been bad, thanks to Star Spark. Ponies steal my quills and some asshole keeps trying to take my journal. He succeeded once, getting it away from me on the way home from school. He said he'd throw it down some diamond dog's hole, but I managed to get it back. That's why I'm going to start keeping you at home.

Entry 6

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?????

Author's Note:

I am so sorry I've been gone for so long. I've been dealing with depression for a really long time and recently I've just started getting help for it. I'm trying to go back to what I used to love to do, but it's difficult to find inspiration for something I haven't thought about in years. I couldn't even remember my username, I had to dig through my emails and thank myself that I never delete anything.
Again really sorry I've been gone and that this is so short. To be honest I have no idea where this is going to go, but I'll do my best to at least finish it with the respect it deserves. Have a nice day/night.