• Published 18th Mar 2013
  • 5,838 Views, 170 Comments

Mega Man X: Forgotten Legend - Blue Bomber



Realizing that he is the only being left on the abandoned Earth, X is faced with a problem; should he stay, or attempt to leave?

  • ...
5
 170
 5,838

Sands of Time

RUNNING CORE SYSTEMS CHECK...
AUTO REPAIR SYSTEM...PASS
OPTIC CAMERA...PASS
MOTOR FUNCTIONS...PASS
MEMORY SYSTEM...PASS
GYROSCOPIC STABILIZATION (FULL AUTO BALANCER)...PASS
ESCAPE UNIT...PASS
SUB-TANKS...READY
SOLAR POWER UNIT...PASS
MICRO-FUSION REACTOR FUEL TANK...100% FULL
SOLAR BATTERY: 23%
ALL SYSTEMS: CODE GREEN
COMMENCE BOOT SEQUENCE

---

X opened his eyes to be greeted by a thick glass panel directly in front of him. Or was it on top on him? Only now did he realize that he was lying down in what appeared to be a capsule. He waited for a few seconds, expecting it to open. After a while, it was clear that it wasn't going to open on its own. He tapped on the glass, hoping someone would come unseal his capsule. No one came. After a while, X decided that he had to break the glass. He pulled his hand back, and struck the glass. It was no match for his reploid strength as the glass shattered upon impact. He stepped out of the capsule, only to realize that it was extremely dusty. And it was also turned off.

"That's strange...if it was off, then what woke me up?"

"And where is everyone?"

---

He examined the room around him. It seemed to be a small lab, a lab that looked oddly familiar, and also seemed to be extremely dusty. He walked over to a nearby desk and ran a finger over it. As expected, a large amount of dust was now on his finger. There was also a small stack of notes on the desk, and he picked it up.

"I'm surprised that there are still enough trees left to make paper."

X decided that there was no longer anything of value left to take from the abandoned lab, so he walked over to the door. He really had to charge his solar battery. He caught a glimpse of himself on a glass window as he passed. The first thing he noticed was that he looked different. Indeed he looked a bit like Zero after he got his body replaced during the Elf Wars. His body was black with a blue vest-like body piece and his legs were slimmed down, like the reploids built after the Elf Wars. His whole body had been redesigned to be more streamlined and aerodynamic.Which was useful, he decided, although he doubted that he would ever actually take to the skies and fly. He wasn't designed to fly. He examined himself intently for a while, then opened the door that led to the outside. What he saw outside shocked him.

It was empty, save for a patch of trees that had somehow survived through the constant warfare that had ravaged the planet. The ground was mostly dirt, but plant life had somehow begun to grow in this wasteland. X magnified his optic camera, and he could see a city far ahead to the east. It seemed to be abandoned, but war-torn didn't seem to be the right phrase to describe it at this point. It positively looked like a forgotten ruin.
"Just how long have I been missing?"
---
X slowly left the lab and walked towards the city. He could have dashed his way there, but he opted to walk so he could look over the notes he took from the lab.

April 4, 24XX
I think I've found the lost biometals, Models X, Z, F, H, P, and L. I don't want anyone else to find out about these biometals, or else the Mega Man war would start all over again. Instead, I think I will attempt to undo the biometals; that is, convert them back into their reploid forms. The heroes of the past, X and Zero would live again!


"Was this what happened? Is this why I'm still alive?

However, this must be done in secret. I can't imagine what would happen if word got out if I was trying to revive the lost heroes. I've taken my materials to the old Maverick Hunter HQ to carry out my plans in secret. I don't think all of the biometals will be successfully revived, but I am fairly certain that at least one will survive the process and fully recover. If X really does have limitless potential...

The notes stopped there. X checked his status. The sun was bright, and his battery was charging smoothly. He was getting pretty close to the city at this point. He wouldn't get tired as long as the sun was powering his solar unit.

Power 75% charged. Variable Weapons System online.

X had almost forgotten about that. He morphed his left arm into the X-buster. It was larger than his previous buster, this one changed his entire forearm into the buster, and stopped just below the elbow. He charged up his buster fully, and aiming at no particular point in the sky, he fired. A loud bang sounded out as a blue burst of energy flew towards the sky. X looked at it until he couldn't see it anymore. He then morphed his right arm into the X-buster and looked intently at it. He had always preferred to use the left arm as his buster arm so he could hold the Z-saber with his right hand, if he had it. Aiming again at no particular point in the sky, he let loose a barrage of uncharged shots.

Pewpewpewpewpew.

The buster weapons made by Doctor Light always made a rather distinctive sound when they fired uncharged shots. It sounded so anticlimatic, but they always got the job done, so X didn't mind for the most part. He kept walking towards the city as he opened his weapons list in the Variable Weapons System. He was a bit surprised to find that it was not empty, although most of the data inside was gibberish. He selected what he thought was Storm Tornado and tried to use it, but his buster made strange clicking sounds and refused to fire. His armor also turned into an ugly shade of brown instead of the usual shade of purple and lavender. He quickly unequipped the special weapon, turning back into his usual blue color. He noticed three options that weren't there before; one was labeled "BioM" and the other was simply labeled "Elf". The third one was labeled "EXIT".

X chose "Elf" and his vision faded out for a moment, then faded back in. He looked around him, and he seemed to be a bit taller than before. He looked down on the ground, only to find his body lying on the ground. X quickly looked at his hand, and saw that it was a bit transparent. X realized that he didn't get taller, but was floating a few inches from the ground! He immediately concluded that he could freely switch between his physical form and his Cyber Elf form at will. Feeling slightly shaken, X touched a hand to the chest of his body, and he was immediately pulled back inside his body. He got up and brushed the dust on his back, and looked at the other weapon. "BioM". He chose it, and his body instantly began to...shrink? He was floating as the tiny Model X, small enough to fit in the hand of an average human. Since there was no point staying in this form, he quickly switched back into his normal form.

As he continued walking forward, he noted that all his special weapons were on the list, but they were all unusable and made his buster feel like it was going to fall off. The weapon names were all written in gibberish, so he really had no idea what weapon he was selecting. Then he saw the EXIT button and realized how stupid he was for not selecting it. It was his escape unit, which allowed him to teleport to a preprogrammed location provided that his current location was cleared of Mavericks. A quick query showed that X's escape unit was still tied to Maverick Hunter HQ. X remembered that the notes had mentioned the other biometals in the old Hunter HQ. He quickly selected the EXIT button and X was carried away in a bright beam of light.
---
Back at the Hunter HQ...
X beamed into the center control room and looked around. Strangely, the building seemed to have been well maintained, despite the Hunters being disbanded after Zero had stopped Dr.Weil and the maverick outbreaks. There were papers thrown everywhere, and he randomly picked a torn piece of newspaper up.

March 21 25XX
DIMENSIONS COLLIDE
It has been found by scientists that the Earth is on a crash course with a strange wormhole that has... might destroy the Earth, and all it's inhabitants. "The space-time continuum is already being distorted. Reality as we know it might not last for long. If this continues, we may...

X crumpled the paper and tossed it aside. He now understood what had happened. There was nothing to fight for now, and nothing left. X, the robot with limitless potential, was the only one left.

The lab.

X ran to the labs of Hunter HQ. This was surely where the other biometals were, if they were to be revived. There were 4 capsules in the middle of the lab. It was clear that the things inside had been moved around. X ran towards the nearest capsule. He looked inside the capsules. They were empty. X looked at a nearby worktable. To his horror, he found the mutilated remains of Model H, P, L, and F sitting on the desk with papers scattered on them. Hands trembling, he took one of the papers and read through it.

January 3 25XX
The conversion of H, P, F, and L were unsuccessful. They had been lost for too long, and the casing of the biometals were much too damaged. It was already impossible to extract any sort of data out of them. Model Z seems to have fared a little better, but only a little. It is nowhere near enough to reconstruct Zero from the broken biometal, although I have managed to extract a piece of weapon data from it. The corresponding data files label it as the "Z-Saber". Unfortunately, that was the only thing I was able to reconstruct. Model X, on the other hand, seems to have been weathering the elements outdoors exceptionally well for whatever reason. With a bit of perseverance, I should be able to reconstruct fully all of X's systems. It is truly a miracle that X's biometal had survived at least 100 years out in the elements with no protection whatsoever. Perhaps this is part of his unlimited evolutionary potential?

A single tear rolled down X's face as he read through these notes. He was the only one surviving after all these years. If there was anything good, it was that he no longer had to fight. He made his way slowly to a fifth capsule tucked away in the corner of the room. He could see something small inside, though it wasn't very clear what it was. X reached for the power button on the capsule, then remembered that there was no power. He curled his hand into a fist, and slammed it onto the top of the capsule. X brushed the glass aside and took out the small object inside the capsule. It was the hilt of the Z-Saber. He flicked it on, and the familiar green triangular blade instantly shot out. In a rare moment of anger, X waved the Z-Saber and a green shockwave flew forward, slicing through the capsules and through the wall, leaving a gaping hole the the building. He looked outside, and at that moment, he realized that there was truly nothing left.

X turned around to leave when a capsule caught his eye. Upon closer inspection, he found that it was a teleporter. He tapped on it; to his surprise, it began to power on, despite it not having any obvious power source. A message flashed on its small screen. X stepped closer and began to read.

I AM WELL AWARE OF THE PENDING COLLISION OF THE WORMHOLE WITH EARTH, AND THAT LIFE AS WE KNOW IT WILL BE OVER SOON. HOWEVER IN MY FINAL ATTEMPT TO SALVAGE WHAT IS LEFT ON THIS WORLD, I BUILT THIS TELEPORTER THAT WILL SAFELY BRING ANY REPLOID THROUGH THIS WORMHOLE. UNFORTUNATELY I CANNOT SAVE ANY HUMAN LIVES WITH THE TELEPORTER; IT IS WELL KNOWN THAT TELEPORTING IS DESTRUCTIVE ON THE HUMAN BODY AND IT IS UNLIKELY THAT A HUMAN CAN SURVIVE HAVING ITS MOLECULES REARRANGED. THIS WILL MOST LIKELY BE A ONE WAY TRIP. IT IS NOT KNOWN WHAT IS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THIS WORMHOLE, SO I AM AFRAID THAT I CAN ONLY HOPE FOR THE BEST.

X stared dumbly at the message. He could choose to go to a new world, one where X could make a new life for himself, or he could remain in this world, one where he has lost everything, one where he has nothing left, one that was lost to the sands of time. Powering up the teleporter seemed to damage it and he knew that it wouldn't last long like this. X looked at the Z-Saber he was holding. In one fluid motion X retracted the blade and sheathed the hilt onto his back. He looked back one last time, and stepped in. The capsule enclosed around him. He closed his eyes, and the world faded.

As the teleporter began to rupture after teleporting X, a ghostly hologram of an old man with a lab coat looked on. It was flickering and fading fast.

"I'm sorry, X."