• Published 13th Mar 2013
  • 410 Views, 5 Comments

Ballad of a Pirate - Skywing the Mutant



A music pony seeks adventure in Baltimare, but this is more then he had in mind.

  • ...
 5
 410

My head hurts

Thor’s POV

The day before was full of shock, but one thing stood out from the rest. When the captain said ‘I take back everything I ever said.’ when he saw the airship. I’m glad that day is over, but I think it’s that day of the year. I got out of bed and trotted to the calendar I took from my cabin. yep, my cycle start all over today. I yawned as I lazily trotted to a small box I keep my personal stuff in, and pulled out a glass bottle. It’s empty. I stared at the bottle in disbelief.

___________________________________________

Star Whistler’s POV, about a half-hour later.

I stretched as I got out of bed, looking to my side told me it was 10 AM. After a few moments of just staring at my clock, something clicked in my head. “Huh, I’m surprised I haven’t been woken up yet.” I trotted out of my room, trying to remember where everything was. A few moments in, my thoughts began to wander. It’s going to take me awhile to completely forget what happened here.

“Morning.” Sprint opened his door as I passed by.

“Morning.” I passed by, beginning to wonder where I was going. Why is this place set up like a maze, anyway?

“Did we remember to get the food off the ship?” Sprint began to trot next to me, I assume he’s headed to the same place I am.

“Yeah, I think everythings been moved.” I felt my stomach rumble in agreement.

“Okay... Hey did the captain say what we’re doing today?” Sprint seems like more of a morning pony now, when he did when we were on the ship.

“Hmm... Not that I can think of. I suppose we could ask.” I turned the corner, finally remembering where I was, and began to head to the kitchen.

“Or ask Caramel.” Sprint said as we entered the kitchen.

“Ask me what?” Caramel looked at us as he ate his apple.

“Did the captain say what we’re supposed to do today?” I asked, reaching into a cabinet and pulling out a frying pan, beginning my raid on the fridge.

“I think we were on cleanup duty today.” Caramel said as he leaned back some.

“... Well damn. I was hoping there was a chance I could just avoid him, thus avoiding work...” I said, pulling out various vegetables, before turning to the cabinet to get spices, a saucepan, a knife, and some rice.

Caramel finished his apple as Sprint went for the macaroni salad and bread. “Nothing ventured, nothing gained.”

After filling the saucepan with water, I added a pinch of salt and put it on the stove, setting it to boil, and began chopping the vegetables. “Not much to gain either way.” I mumbled, nearly cutting myself.

Caramel trotted up to me and almost whispered. “Do you think I should tell Sprint or let him learn in his own?”

“Leave him, one should learn from the past.” I poured the dry rice into the boiling water, and poured a small spot of oil into the frying pan, and began to cook the veggies, using as many hot-peppers as I could handle, just in case someone tried to steal my food. Caramel smiled then trotted to the apple barrel, and took a second apple.

After about twenty minutes, I finally managed to finish making and eating my food. “Well, time to get to work.”

Stormy came into the kitchen wearing blue pajamas with smiling suns on them and stopped in the door frame to rub her eye and yawn. “Morning everypony.”

I felt myself shudder, remembering what Stormy helped do to the poor guard captain just yesterday, and the huge change in personality from then to now. “Morning, Storm.”

She slowly trotted to the fridge, passing Caramel on the way. She opened the door and looked at all the shelves. “Has anypony seen my macaroni salad?” At that point, Sprint stopped chewing, and looked at his mostly eaten sandwich.

Caramel tapped Stormy on the back, giving a quick point to Sprint, who was now sweating bullets, his eyes wide. Stormy began glaring at him as she eyed the opened container that had her macaroni salad. Sprint gave her a cheesy smile. “You ate, my salad.”

“Umm... I... Uhh...” Sprint leapt up from the table, trying to make a break for the door, “SOMEPONY HELP MEEEEE!”

“I’ll make his day miserable later, but for now...” Stormy let out a high pitch yawn. “coffee.”

“Yeah, I’m going to go get to work on... Cleanup duty, right Caramel?” I asked, feeling an urge to leave, and maybe hide in a box for the rest of the day.

Caramel nodded and began following me. I looked back in time to see her hug a coffee can, saying. “I love you, coffee.”

... Note to self, hide personal stash of coffee so Storm can’t defile it. I thought to myself with a shudder. “Ok, onwards to work. How do you want to split it?” I asked in an attempt to forget what I just saw.

“By doing as much as we can so we can relax later?” Caramel responded. “I’ll start with the west.”

“Ok, I’ll take the east, then.” I stretched my legs a bit, before turning, “See ya later.” Caramel nodded before trotting down a long hall. I made my trip down the eastern hall.

__________________________________________________

About an hour later

Now I see why I was given the east wing. I thought glumly, trying to scrub a fuckton of blood out of the walls. The fucker probably scouted out the areas in advance, and split the work in his favor, damn it damn it damn it! I threw the sponge I was using into the bucket, and, with a deep breath, pulled out the sponge, to find the water was a deep, crimson red.

“Oh of all the fucking...” I muttered to myself, stopping myself mid-sentence. “Ok, ok, I’ll just go get some more damn water.” I picked up the bucket, and began to walk down the hall, the blood-bucket held a few feet away by my magic.

A door flung open after I passed it, and somepony quickly pulled me in. “Scream and I suffocate you.” A familiar voice said into my ear.

I gulped audibly, and nodded, “Ok, ok, I won’t scream, now what was that all about, Thor?”

Thor sighed, and looked at me.“I don’t want anypony else to know about this, but I’m about to go into heat.”

“I... What?!” I almost shouted, it, barely keeping my voice in check, with the shout came a rush of heat to my face, “I... Wha... Just what?”

Thor slapped me then put her hoof on my muzzle. “Shh, I need to keep this a secret. Now can I trust you or will I have to get violent.”

I held up a single hoof, “I vow not to tell another soul about this, living or not.”

“Good, now I need you to keep everypony from my room, that includes the captain.” Thor glared at me as she spoke.

“I’m... Not sure if I could stop the captain... I’ll try though. How much time do you have?” I asked, hoping to not be raped when I do try to leave.

Thor sighed then threw me out. “Just don’t do or believe a word I say until you’re sure it’s passed.”

“I understand.” I said, looking to my side to see that the blood-red water had spilled from the bucket I was carrying, causing this area to get worse. “Oh of all the fucking... Really?” I picked up the bucket, and after moving the bloody water back into container, I continued walking down the area I had come from, once more in search of clean water. Once again, my thoughts began to wander. Why did Thor ask me to help her? I mean, wouldn’t it have been better to ask the captain?... No, wait, nevermind. He would probably just tell her to deal with it. Why not Storm or Crimson? I mean, they probably have something to help with ‘that time of year.’ Although I do understand why Caramel and Sprint weren’t asked. They would probably just use it the their advantage. Was it just that I was the first pony to pass by?

“I want that.” I looked up and Stormy stormed in my direction.

“... What?” I raised an eyebrow at Stormy, as she grabbed my bucket of blood-water. “Why do you-”

“Let go.” Stormy began to glare at me as he held the handle in her mouth.

“Yes ma’am.” I cowered slightly, before following Stormy down the halls. Maybe I could ask Storm about... No, I can’t do that. I promised not to tell anyone...

“Stupid captain making us clean up, when we could be celebrating our big victory at a casino.” I started to hear what sounded like Sprint complaining.

“You stay here.” Stormy whispered to me before taking the bucket in her hooves and quietly stepping towards Sprint before slamming the bucket on his head, then hitting it, causing Sprint to fall to the ground. “That’s for taking my macaroni, jackass!”

Note to self, do not piss her off. I thought to myself, feeling myself shudder slightly.

“You can have your bucket back, star.” She began to trot away as if she didn’t do anything.

“Thanks...” Suddenly, something clicked in my mind. “Hey, Storm, I was wondering...”

Stormy stopped in her tracks then looked at me. “Hmm?”

“What is it like to go into heat?” I asked, trying to be as subtle about my reason as possible.

“Hmm, it’s kind of like feeling an increase in sex drive.” Stormy answered as she began to turn around. “Why, is somepony you know in heat?”

“No.” I said quickly, “Just... wondering what it’s like.” Hell, even to myself I sounded suspicious.

Stormy giggled as she trotted up to me. “Alright I’ll believe you, only because I was right about you.”

Phew, that was clo- ... Wait, right about what what? “... What were you right about?” I raised an eyebrow. If she’s implying that about me...

“About you being the cutest thing in this crew.” Stormy smiled as she stood in front of me.

I said nothing for several seconds, but I felt my entire face grow warmer and warmer. “Uh...” Immediately, I began to try to think of a method of escape for the situation.

“Well, we better get back to work before the captain hangs us.” Stormy began to trot past me. “Take care, cutie.”

“Yeah...” I picked up my bucket with my magic, and began to continue on my quest to find water, my mind going off-topic once more. Wow that was.... interesting. I’m surprised she called me cute... On the other hand, I might be able to help Thor after all, thanks to Storm. I stopped, at a turning point in a hallway, and turned, going in the direction I remembered as the way to where I left my stuff. A heightened sex-drive means that hormones are clouding most thoughts. If something could clear it, she would be fine.

“Cleaning blood stains too?” Why is everypony interrupting my thoughts today? I thought as I turned to see Caramel with a bucket of water.

“Yeah, but I have to get something of mine.” Caramel raised an eye at me saying this, “It’s personal.”

“Hmm.” Caramel responded. “Tell the captain if anything needs to be repaired.”

“I know.” I hurried past him, not taking the time for another sidetracking. Let’s see... I think it was in... This room. I thought, going into one door.

“I told you before captain, somepony has to fix the beds.” The familiar voice of Haze said as I entered the room.

Oh damn it. Why am I running into every single damn member of the crew today? “Wrong pony.” I said, “Also, sorry, I got the wrong room.” I turned to leave.

Haze turned around before I could leave. “What’s on your mind?”

“Umm...” Come on, convincing lie, convincing lie... “Nothing.” DAMNIT! I mentally scolded myself for saying such a stupid excuse.

“Look, you get this peculiar look whenever you go deep into thought. So I know you have something on your mind. What is it?” Haze began to give me a stern look.

“... I promised that I wouldn’t talk about it.” I said calmly. “So I’m going to stick by that, I will tell you that I need to get my panpipes though.”

Haze’s horn lit up and the door slammed shut. “Now what would require you to get your panpipes.” Damn her stubborn streak.

“I... Uhh...” I began to charge magic in my horn, to attempt a small teleportation spell.

“Either you tell me now, or I’ll follow you around and find out myself.” Haze calmly exclaimed.

I felt the magic flow back from my horn, “I said I’m going to respect my promise to keep it a secret.” I quickly fired a small disabling spell at Haze’s horn, encompassing it in my magic as I teleported away, appearing a foot away from Skywing. “Uhhh... Hi.”

“What?” Skywing answered coldly as he repaired the cracks in the walls with his magic.

“Just trying to find something.” I looked around, and saw my stuff on the wall, “Huh, I teleported to the right room. I guess there is a first time for everything.” I took out my panpipes from the container, and strapped them to my back. “Ok, that’s all.” I calmly went to the door, wanting to get back to what my original goal was.

“Tell Thor she better be out in five.” Skywing said as he finished his work in this room.

“Right away, captain.” I turned, and ran down the hall in an attempt to make my way back to Thor’s room. When I was a few feet away, I slipped on the spot where the blood-water had spilt, causing me to crash right outside the door.

“Oh, just fuck me already!” I heard as I staggered to my hooves. I grabbed my panpipe with my magic and closed my eyes. Please don’t be broken, please don’t be broken, please don’t be broken, please don’t be broken. I finally opened my eyes and one of the pipes was smashed.

“Oh damn it!” I slapped a hoof over my mouth as the last word came out. Damn it, I can’t play the amp with it like this...

“Get in here and end my suffering!” I heard Thor scream out. I don’t think she knows who I am.

Damn it, what do I do? I need a new instrument, bu-... Wait, I have the ones that didn’t sell at Heavy Anchor... It’s worth a shot. I charged my magic again, aiming a teleport to the top of the fort below, hoping not to be off.

When I opened my eyes, I saw that I was off by about twenty feet, as I was on the first floor. I sighed, and, with a sigh, began to walk up the stairs to the room the rest of my instruments were still in. A shiver went down my spine as I passed the door I went in last time. It creaked open a bit then stood still. I ignored it, and went through the next door.

“Ok... Let’s see...” I used a simple levitation spell to move all of the instruments to the area around me. All that was left was the remaining ocarina, the black violin, the guitars, and the flutes. After they were set out around me. I pulled a small knife out of my bag, and placed it against the base of my leg, just above the hoof.

“I never would've thought.” It was too quiet to hear the words, but it almost sounded like somepony was here.

I twisted the knife in my magical grip, and pointed it toward what I assumed was the source of the voice “Who’s there?” After a few seconds, I moved the knife forward two inches in an instant, a few drops of blood rolled down the blade of the knife.

“Ow!” The voice said, this time clearer, and easier for me to recognize.

“Oh damn it Crimson.” I muttered, sheathing the knife, and casting a light spell, breaking Crim’s illusion.

“I told you that I’d follow you around. Now turn off that damn light.” Haze growled as she shielded her eyes with her hoof.

I complied to her request, turning off the light spell. “Fine, you’ve already seen this much, might as well let you see the rest of this.” I muttered, cleaning the blade of the knife, before turning back to the instruments, knife at the base of my hoof once more. “Sanguis ligat omnia. Magicam sanguis faciam ultimum potentia.” At the last word, I drew the knife across my hoof, and let the blood run over it, before flicking a single droplet onto each instrument with my magic, before pouring a portion of my magical reserves into each droplet.

“You’re not getting off that easily. You said you promised not to tell, I want to know who and what.” Haze began to lean against the wall.

“Shh, this is a delicate process.” I said, “ Inveni potest stare instrumentum.” At the second word, one of the drops of blood turned white, on the violin. “Ok, now to...” I felt a shock go through my horn as I directed my magic on my attempt to enchant the violin, causing the flow of magic to stop from my horn. “Owwwww... What the hell? It said it was compatible!”

“Would you look at that, something that’s not suppose to happen.” Haze as pushes herself off the wall.

“Shush.” I gave her a look, before turning my attention back to the violin. “Ok, let’s try a scan spell.” I began to charge magic in my horn again, focusing on the violin. A small amount of magic seemed to be lodged inside it. Dang, it’s already got an enchantment on it... Might as well see what it is. As I tried to probe deeper, though, it flashed a bright light, and suddenly there was a dark space in the center of the room, “Why the hell can’t I get ONE THING RIGHT TODAY?!” I shouted, looking up just in time to see my panflute flying into the void. Almost immediately, I began to feel dizzy, and another bright flash of light appeared, replacing the void with a pure black panflute.

“Enough with the lights, you ass.” Haze bitterly said as she turned her head away.

“That wasn’t me... That violin was already enchanted. I guess it absorbs instruments or something.” I focused my magic on it, happy to see that the enchantment on my panpipes was still there. “It looks like this will work just fine.”

“Good, now tell me what you’re hiding.” Haze began to trot up to me.

“Umm...” I picked up my panpipes, and slung them over my back. “I’ll tell you if the pony I’m helping agrees to it after.” As I finished speaking, I shot another small disabling bolt at Crimson, who jumped out of the way, but not quickly enough to stop me from teleporting to what I hoped was the deck of the ship.

Oddly enough, I landed right where I wanted to be. Getting back to Thor’s room once again was easy, and I was both glad, and a bit angry that the blood-water had partly dried, as I wouldn’t slip on it this time.

I quickly held the black panflute up to my lips, and began to play the second amp. As I began, my body began to feel heavy, which was rather unusual. Oh that fusion better not have had any side effects. That was my last thought, before completely losing myself in playing the amp, and passing out as I hit the last note.

____________________________________________________

Stormy Night’s POV

He’ll be begging for mercy after this. I thought after I loaded a simple cross bow with a beanbag tipped bolt. Shouldn’t have eaten my macaroni salad. “Be very, very quiet, I’m hunting Sprint.” I mentally giggled as I began my trip down the hallway.

As I turned a corner, I came to a sight that made me freeze, Star was lying in the middle of the hall, blood pooled around his head. Not the old blood from the battle, this was fresh.

Oh no, Sprints torment will have to wait. I threw the crossbow and galloped to Star, the crossbow fired down the hall leading to the right.

“Ow, what the hell Storm!” Oh no, did the bolt hit Crimson Haze? I worriedly thought as I turned my head just as I got to Star. Blood was flowing from his ears, eyes, mouth and nose, and he was barely breathing. “No seriously, what the hell?” Haze rounded the corner and glared at me.

“Haze, get the captain!” I shouted, before looking around for something to absorb the blood from his fur with.

“Use this.” Haze rang out the cloth that we assumed Star used to clean the blood with, then draped it on my hoof. I wiped the blood off of star’s muzzle, well, I smeared it actually, but it unblocked his airway, and his breathing immediately improved. I then worked on getting the blood off of his eyes, only partly succeeding, before finally wiping his ears. If the situation weren’t so serious, I would probably have made a joke about the shade of pink the smeared blood made him. “Think you can carry him?” I instantly looked at Haze.

“Probably not, honestly...” I looked to the side, and saw a pure black version of Stars panpipes a foot away from star. “Hey, where did these come from?”

“I think that’s the product of whatever Star was doing when I saw him last.” Haze answered, after a few moments, her eyes lit up. “I’ve got an idea.” Crimson’s horn began to glow, and my body began to light up with her magical aura. “Testosterone spell. You have about five minutes before it wears off, which should be more than enough time.”

I easily lifted Star over my back, “... Wow, when did you learn to do that?”

“It’s a basic spell, I learned it about three years after getting my cutie mark, now go.” Crimson stated before putting her hoof on the door.

“Yeah... Wait, where am I going again?” I asked, face-hoofing.

Crimson sighed. “Find a room with an unmade bed and call it an infirmary.”

I gave a quick nod, “Got it.” With that, I walked down the hall, quickly finding an empty room, which I made a small red cross on the door with the blood at hand. I then walked in, gently placing Star on one of the beds. A quick look around the room told me that, oddly enough, I chose an actual infirmary to make the infirmary. “Don’t worry, I’ll find out what to do.”

________________________________________________________________

Crimson Haze’s POV

I watched as Stormy galloped off. Now to find out what this is all about. I opened the door and trotted in.

“What the hell are you doing here!?” Thor yelled in rage at me as I closed the door.

“Learning why Star was so deep in thought when I saw him.” I answered. Thor got the angriest look, the like of which I haven’t seen of in years.

“That son of a bitch, I told him not to tell anypony!”

“And he didn’t. I just figured it out just now.” I answered before she could do anything. I then trotted up to her. “Come on, we’ve known each other for a long time. You don’t have to keep secrets of being in heat from me.”

On cue, Thor’s face turned beet-red, despite her light-brown coat, “H-how did you-”

“You reek of it.” I answered as I began to hug her.

“Uhh... What are you doing?” Thor asked, hesitantly returning the hug.

“I guess it has been a long time.” I released her after saying that. “I’ll go see if Stormy and I can make something to help. Don’t worry I’ll pass it off as thinking ahead.”

“Ok. I’ll be here.” She said, calmly looking around, “Tell Star... Tell him I said thanks for trying to keep it a secret.”

“Something tells me that you should.” I stopped in front of the door as I answered.

“What do you mean?” Thor gave me a look of confusion.

“Just trust me on this one.” I left the room after that and began looking for Storm.

__________________________________________

Star Whistle’s POV, some time later

I awoke with a loud yawn, and an IV in my foreleg. “Oh fucking...” I tore the IV out and sat up, and my first thought was ‘hospital,’ but then common sense got hold, and I realized I couldn’t be in a hospital. A quick look over of the room, and a glance out the window told me I was in an infirmary on the airship. The airship also seemed to be moving

“I’m telling you, Stormy found this shit in...” Sprint came into view with something white in his mouth and a big dopey grin. “Oh hey, you’re up.”

“Hey, what happened to me... and what’s that?” My attention was brought to the object in Sprint’s mouth.

He sort of staggers into my room and gets really close then begins to whisper. “They call it, a blunt.” He takes a deep breath and exhales with his mouth wide open. “All gone.”

“Really? You’re smoking weed in an infirmary?” I paused for a moment “This is an infirmary, right?”

Sprint began to wobble around before bringing his face uncomfortably close to mine. “... What?”

“Just get out.” I gave him a glare I had been practicing since I had joined the crew, and it seemed to work so far.

He shook his head around and turned around. “Fine, be that way.”

“You know he can’t hear you.” Somepony said to him as he left the room.

“That’s not true, he’s alive.” Sprint retorted.

“Out of my sight.” That voice...

“Thor? Is that you?” I asked, my question answered by the sound of something falling over.

Thor shoved Sprint out of the way, and dashed into my room. “You’re awake...” I saw tears slightly well in her eyes.

“Umm... Did something happen?” I asked, “I tried asking Sprint, but he was too baked to understand, I think.”

“You were found bleeding from your face, outside my room.” Thor answered. “Listen, I want to thank you for trying to keep my secret.”

“Trying? I had to seal Crim’s magic twice. Twice. Do you know how hard it was to take her off guard two times?” Outside her room? What was-.. Oh yeah... I played an amp on the panpipes right after... “Hey, were there black panpipes near me?”

“I’m not sure, Crimson Haze must have picked it up after she found out.” Thor shook her head.

“I see... Wait, how long have I been out for?” I asked, looking out the window, “and where is the ship going?”

“You’ve been out for three days. As for where we’re going, we’ve raided a small satyr village, now we’re headed back to the fortress.” Thor smiled as sat down.

“Three days, and all I missed was a raid?” I asked with a weak chuckle.

“We’ve also robbed two cargo ships,” Thor responded, looking off to the side. The smile was still there, but her eyes were sad. “but that was yesterday and the day before.”

“Is something wrong?” I asked, tilting my head slightly.

“Let’s just say, I was deep in thought while you were asleep, and...” She began to veer off for a bit.

“... And?” I asked, in an inquiring tone.

“Well, you can sleep in my cabin so long as I’m not in heat.” Thor smiled and began to blush.

I felt my face growing warmer. Woah, that’s blunt... Then again, how else would you expect someone who uses a warhammer to confess. My thoughts slowly grew more and more complicated, yet, for some reason, the only thing I could get out when I opened my mouth was “I...”

“I’ll give you some time to think about it.” She smiled then kissed me before turning around. “I’ll be topside in the meantime.”

As she left, I felt my brain shut down, not really understanding what just happened. For at least twenty minutes I just stood there, staring out into space, before snapping out of it. The first movement I made was slowly raising a hoof to my mouth, as a smile covered my face.

~ End of Chapter 5

Monday’s note: I’ve become rather sarcastic in the naming of these recent chapters, haven’t I? I mean, I named this chapter what I did because that’s how I felt after reading over what we wrote.