• Published 11th Mar 2013
  • 2,306 Views, 117 Comments

The New Student - TheTwelfthDoctor



Twilight sure has come a long, long way. But what about The Great and Powerful Trixie? Doesn't she matter anymore? Trixie sure thinks so.

  • ...
11
 117
 2,306

Chapter Four

Chapter Four

On Monday morning, Trixie followed her usual getting-ready-for-school-routine. She slid out of bed late, hastily brushed her mane, and downed a bowl of Cheerioats.

She collected her saddlebags, dropped them over her flank, and was just about to walk out the palace’s front door and head out when she was approached by Twilight, who was also wearing a pair of bags.

“No, no, Twilight. I’m going to the school for big ponies. You should be going off to your little baby fifth grade class now.”

“But I am a big pony. Princess Celestia skipped me ahead to the ninth grade on an accelerated two-year curriculum.”

Trixie stifled a gasp.

“B-But I’m in the eighth grade...” was all she managed to whisper before fainting.


Twilight had conjured some water out of thin air and allowed it to drop onto Trixie in order to revive her. The two fillies were now halfway through their trip to the School. Trixie was less than thrilled about having a sopping-wet coat on such a chilly morning.

“Brr! It’s so cold!” Trixie whined.

“Want to borrow a scarf?” Twilight asked, levitating one out of her saddlebags.

“No.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

“Okay then. Suit yourself,” Twilight replied as she wrapped it around her neck.

She pulled out the small piece of paper that held her new schedule. “Hmm...first I have...ooh! Free library period! Sounds fun!”

“That must be a mistake!” Trixie sputtered, taking the paper from Twilight and glaring at it intensely. A footnote stated in small type that Twilight was one of the few ponies who had an exemption from Exercise Session, due to ‘advanced skills.’

“Gah! I should have known you wouldn’t have to do Exercise Session!”

“What’s that?”

“Most everypony has to warm up their magic at the start of every day so they don’t burn out later. Some don’t have to do it because they’re that good,” Trixie begrudgingly explained. “You’re one of those ponies.”

“Oh,” Twilight replied curtly as the two entered the building. Immediately they were cornered by a group of tenth-grade students, who were widely known to be the school’s chief bullies.

“Hey, Tricks! Is that your baby sister? What’s she doing here?” the pony who was obviously their leader taunted.

“No! She’s just some little egghead I have to show around! Celestia’s orders! Hey, watch this!” Trixie hurriedly fibbed. She pulled out her water canteen and shoved it into Twilight’s mouth. “Ha! Little brat needs her bottle!”

Twilight spat the canteen out and glared at Trixie. “What was that for?”

“Ooh! Feisty little baby too!” another one of the bullies jeered.

“I’m in ninth grade.”

“Ho ho ho! Hey, Tricks, is that true? Is the baby a grade ahead of you?”

“No! She’s lying!”

“Yeah, like we believe that,” the leader laughed, picking up Twilight and swinging her by her tail.

Twilight yelped and quickly teleported out of the older colt’s hooves. She then lifted the three colts up in her telekinesis and tossed them roughly to the side. Finally, Twilight surrounded herself and Trixie with a small force field and walked off. Trixie had no choice but to follow. The bullies looked around in confusion for a few seconds, then scampered away.

“I could’ve stuck up for myself!” Trixie protested.

“But you didn’t.”

“You’re so annoying! They were right! You are a baby!

Twilight didn’t reply, but reduced the size of the force field, removing its protection from Trixie. She took off at full tilt towards the library, holding back tears.

“Baby,” Trixie remarked without moving, shuffling her hooves idly.


Twilight didn’t feel up to walking back to the palace with Trixie after the events that had transpired that morning. And this time, she was going to tell Celestia.

She went out a back exit and out to the jousting field. A few members of the school’s team were suiting up for practice while others were running laps. Making sure nopony was watching, she screwed her eyes shut in deep concentration, collecting magical energy into her horn. After a solid minute, her horn flashed and she teleported directly to her tower in the palace.

Trotting briskly through the halls, Twilight made her way to Celestia’s chambers. She paused outside their doors a few minutes later. One of the guards poked his head in.

“Your Highness? Twilight Sparkle is outside. Should we let her in?”

“Sure,” Celestia’s voice came from inside.

“The princess will see you now,” the guard informed Twilight, swinging the doors open.

“Good afternoon, my faithful student. What can I help you with?”

“Hello, Your Highness,” Twilight said meekly, bowing, sighing, and then flopping onto the ground.

“What’s wrong, Twilight?” Celestia asked concernedly, rising and striding over to where Twilight lay spread out on the floor before settling down next to the lavender filly and draping a fluffy wing over her.

“Well,” Twilight sniffed, “when I got to school today a bunch of big colts started pushing me around. They called me a ‘baby’ and Trixie...joined in and called me a baby too...”

“Oh?” Celestia picked her head up. “Is that all?”

Twilight nodded.

“Twilight, you don’t have to listen to them. You’re not a baby. Just ignore them and they’ll leave you alone. As for Trixie, I’ll have a little talk with her when she--come to think of it, how did you get here so quickly?”

“I teleported.”

“My...impressive. Just be careful,” Celestia teased, standing up. “Thanks for giving me an excuse to get away from answering all these petitions,” she continued, pointing at a tall stack of papers on her desk. “But I’ve got to get back to work. Why don’t you go and do your homework?”

“Sure! See you later, Princess!” Twilight called, her mood very much improved, as she dashed out the door to collect her books.

Celestia picked up the top paper from the pile and looked at it as if it were some foreign object threatening the harmony of Equestria. She really didn’t feel like doing any more paperwork, and crumpled the petition--something about tax cuts for the nobility--into a small ball, shooting it towards the wastebasket.


Trixie waited at the door of the school for ten minutes after the dismissal bell rang, but Twilight didn’t show.

‘Figures,’ Trixie thought dejectedly. ‘She’s probably crying her little heart out to ‘Tia right now, and I’m going to get a flogging when I get back to the palace.’

She started off towards home, but stopped after walking just a few feet.

‘But who says I have to go home?’

Trixie didn’t know where she was going, but she did know that, after turning around, her destination was most definitely not the palace.


Celestia glanced up at the wall clock. She had been engrossed in the latest Daring Do novel for the past forty-five minutes while waiting for Trixie, but had quickly lost track of time.

“Already four o’clock? My...”

The princess stuck her head outside and cleared her throat meaningfully. One of the guards snapped around. “Yes, Your Highness? What can I do for you?”

“My student, Trixie, has yet to return from school. If it’s not too much trouble, could you send out a small aerial patrol team to look for her? I want to see her about something important.”

“Of course, Your Highness,” the guard replied, swiveling around and rushing off to alert his superior.

“Foals these days...” Celestia chuckled to herself, closing the door and picking Daring Do back up. “Daring approached the doors to the throne room. She knew that the evil princess awaited her--WHAT?! WHO INVENTED FREE SPEECH, ANYWAYS?!


Trixie was having the time of her life.

She had already stolen a piece of pie from somepony enjoying a late lunch at a sidewalk cafe and was just about to sneak up on some old ponies playing Chess in the park and ruin their silly game when two royal guards descended behind her.

“HALT! ARE YOU TRIXIE?!”

“No? Why do you ask?”

“Her Highness, Princess Celestia, has requested her presence at once!”

“Well, I think she went that way,” Trixie told them, waving off to the left.

“Thank you for your help, miss--HEY! YOU CAN’T FOOL US! GET HER!

“Shoot!” Trixie exclaimed, teleporting a few feet away and taking off. The guards quickly followed suit.

“STOP! THIS WILL HURT LESS IF YOU COMPLY!”

After Trixie failed to respond, one swooped down and tackled Trixie into a small ditch. His partner landed nearby soon after. The two slapped a binder on Trixie’s hooves and attached a magical silencer to her horn before forcibly righting the squealing filly and pushing her off towards the palace.


The guards barged in the door.

“Your Highness. We have the prisoner.”

“Prisoner?” came Celestia’s startled reply as Trixie, under heavy lock and key, was escorted into Celestia’s chambers, still shouting obscenities.

Celestia’s mouth hung open. After a moment she facehooved, and took a deep breath.

“Release her. I’m sorry for your troubles. You are dismissed.”

“Right away, Your Highness!” one of the guards confirmed, undoing Trixie’s restraints, and trotting out of the room, followed closely by his partner.

“Well, what was that about?” Trixie exploded after the guards had exited.

“When you didn’t come here after school, I sent out a search party. I guess they misunderstood my instructions.”

“I had my reasons.”

“I know you did. But you would never be able to avoid it forever, Trixie.”

“I knew that.”

“So let’s just get this over with now so we can move on, shall we?”

“Why not? What more can you do to me? You’ve already replaced me, kicked me out of my room, and ignored and shamed me for the past four days! What’s next?--”

“That’s enough, Trixie,” Celestia interjected sternly.

“Banishment to the moon?! I guess your sister, your own sister, who just wanted attention, would enjoy the--”

Celestia found herself choking back tears. “I SAID, THAT’S ENOUGH, TRIXIE!”

“Fine. Do your worst,” Trixie quickly stated in a calm, resigned tone.

‘She has a point, you know,’ Celestia thought, putting a hoof to her chin.

“Alright,” Celestia began after a few moments of silence. “First of all, I apologize for the way that I’ve been treating you over these past few days. I might have been taking things a bit too far, and was frustrated at times by your lack of dedication to your studies. I promise, I’ll find a way to make it up to you soon.”

Trixie beamed.

“But, secondly, I want to make one thing clear,” Celestia continued, leaning her head down so she was eye-to-eye with Trixie, who wilted a bit. “Nopony, and I mean nopony, gets away with bullying Twilight Sparkle. I’m disappointed in you, Trixie. I expect better of you. Now, don’t you think that you owe Twilight an apology?”
“I’m sure you two can become friends if you just put aside your prejudices,” Celestia added when Trixie groaned.

‘She has a point, you know,’ Trixie thought, putting a hoof to her chin.

“Alright,” Trixie began after a few moments of silence. “I’ll go talk to her. And I promise to do better next time. I guess I let my ego get the best of me.”

“Thank you, Trixie,” Celestia said warmly. “Twilight’s in her room.”


At dinnertime, Trixie found an extra helping of dessert on her plate. A small note was tucked underneath it:

Enjoy! - Princess Celestia

Author's Note:

Beware...all is not what it seems. This story is definitely not over.

I had a lot of fun with this one.