• Published 11th Mar 2013
  • 2,304 Views, 117 Comments

The New Student - TheTwelfthDoctor



Twilight sure has come a long, long way. But what about The Great and Powerful Trixie? Doesn't she matter anymore? Trixie sure thinks so.

  • ...
11
 117
 2,304

Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

“So this is what it feels like to be part of the twenty percent, huh?” Trixie screamed to the cornfields. The buzz of a pegasi-pulled crop-dusting chariot swooping low overhead and dousing her in magical fertilizer was the only answer she got.

“Ack!” Trixie wheezed.

She stood on the side of a minor farm road outside of Ponyville, and held a sign in her hooves, a broken piece of wood with her message written out in messy black paint: “ANYWHERE BUT HERE OR BUST.”

Unfortunately, the road was rarely used, and the one pony that would pass every hour would ignore her plight and trot right on by.

“Well, poo poo to you too.”


After what had seemed like an eternity to Trixie, an old farmer pulling a cart of freshly-harvested vegetables stopped.

“I’m headed to the big produce auction in Dodge Junction. Does that appeal to you, foal?”

“Sure,” Trixie said as she hopped in the back of the cart among the colorful peppers, squash, and leafy greens. Roots and soil still clung to some of the spoils, creating a musky atmosphere that was brought out by the rotting wooden crates and dust blowing in the wind.

The cart bumped along the road--it was made of dirt and poorly maintained, with large potholes and rocks here and there--through the vast, fertile sun belt of Equestria. Sharp red farmhouses, pastures, and fields stretched out as far as the eye could see.

After a time the lush farm country began to give way to dry, brown prairie accented by stubble and sparse ranchland. Brimmed caps on ponies’ heads gave way to stetsons. A large billboard proclaimed: “WELCOME TO THE REAL WILD WEST!” In finer print, it was noted: “Paid for by the Equestria Tourism Initiative.”

A cluster of wooden buildings appeared in the distance. A rusted, tilted sign stated: “NOW ENTERING DODGE JUNCTION. POPULATION 42.”


The farmer pulled the wagon to a stop in front of a long, wide barn that was identified as the civil hall. A handmade notice out front advertised a bulk fruit and vegetable sale. Farmers from all around were hauling their goods inside and displaying them to purchasers from various food stores--Maremart, Bullseye, and Pony Foods.

Trixie, sans wagon, went about collecting scraps of metal and wood from around town in garbage cans, gutters, and scrap piles, then retrieved a hammer and nails from the civic hall--everypony there was too busy staring in awe at a Celestia-sized pumpkin being weighed.

She constructed a rudimentary stage (though not without accidentally hammering her hoof on multiple occasions) and mounted it. As the town was almost entirely packed in the hall, Trixie needed a way to get them to come out and see her perform.

‘Hmm...‘Tia’s approval rating has been good lately.’

She barged in the hall’s main doors in dramatic fashion in order to draw the attention of everypony in the room.

“HEY! PRINCESS CELESTIA IS HERE!” she announced.

At once, most of the ponies in the room stood and began to stampede towards the exit in order to possibly get a glimpse of the princess--really just a weak magical construct Trixie had set up--waving and smiling at them.


“Did somepony say my name?”

“No, Your Highness. Not that I could hear. More tea and cake?”

“I really need to get my ears checked...oh, and could you give me a piece with one of the little roses made of red frosting? I just love those.”


“...and that is just one of the feats that The Great and Powerful Trixie can perform!” Trixie happily told the now-disappointed crowd after she had fizzled “Princess Celestia” away with her horn.

“Wait, The Great and Powerful Trixie? As in the one that almost destroyed Ponyville yesterday?”

“How’d you hear about that?!” Trixie asked in accusatory tone.

“I live there. Besides, it was in all the papers this morning.”

“Boo!” somepony else called.

“Let’s get back to that pumpkin!” another offered.

“Yeah...let us never speak of this again,” a third proposed as the group began to shuffle back inside the hall, the last locking the door behind them.

“Party poopers. I think I did a pretty good job.”

“Can I help you there, little filly?” a rough voice asked from behind her. Trixie turned around to meet another old farmer. He was a frail, muddy yellow earth pony stallion. He wore a fedora and tie, but the blade of grass that hung out of his mouth gave away his true nature.

“Who are you?”

“The name’s Toru Pie,” he said, extending a hoof. But you can just call me Mister Pie. I own the Pie Family Rock Farm outside of Ponyville and was in town buying some new rock seeds. So, once again, do you need anything? You look kind of lost.”

“Well, to be honest, I’m currently homeless and jobless.”

“Oh! Matter of fact, I have an opening on my farm. Do you want to come work for me? I can cover your room and board, and if I do say so myself my wages are pretty good--one bit per broken rock, and more if there’s gems inside.”

“Sure. I could use all the bits I can get.”

“Then let’s get going, then. The sooner we can get the rocks planted the sooner we can harvest them and the sooner we can sell them, after all.”

“Right.”

‘Rock farming...I’m going into rock farming...oh, how the mighty have fallen. Hey, at least I can try and steal gems from the crop when this guy isn’t looking and resell them at more than he’d pay me.’

“Here’s my cart,” Toru said, climbing in the back with bags of rock seed. “Why don’t you pull? It’d help you build some muscle, and rock farming takes a whole lot of that. A whole lot of that and a can of hoof grease,” he laughed.

“Yes, haha,” Trixie replied flatly, saddling up to the cart and starting out of Dodge Junction.

‘Rock farm, here I come!’

Author's Note:

Sorry for the short chapter. I told you I'd have trouble with this one, and look, I did.

Another movie reference in the cornfield scene. Whoever gets it wins a cookie.

I loved writing that little scene with Celestia. I like those little roses made of frosting, too...

By the way, I got the name Toru from the name of Pac-Man's creator, Toru Iwatani. Seeing as Pinkie and her siblings are named after the Pac-Man ghosts (Blinky, Pinky, Inky, and Clyde), I thought it would be an appropriate tip of the hat, if you will.