• Published 11th Mar 2013
  • 2,676 Views, 105 Comments

Pinkamena's Awakening: A Promise Unforgotten - Kingsley



Pinkamena returns to reality with the help of Pinkie Pie and her friends, but everything is not as it seems when events start to take a turn for the worse.

  • ...
6
 105
 2,676

Demons Cry While Angels Lie

Chapter 3: Demons Cry While Angel Lie


After several hours, the train Twilight took to Canterlot had finally arrived at its' destination. Twilight got off the train and headed towards Princess Celestia's Castle with haste, hoping that Luna would have the answers she sought for. Not wasting any time, she arrived at the entrance and pondered her thoughts carefully before entering.

"Ohhh... What if Princess Luna doesn't have the answers I need? Come to think of it, she's only an expert on dreams, not on split personalities or otherworldly entities!... But I guess I have to take my chances and hope for the best," Twilight said, trying to ignore the possibility that Luna couldn't be of any help, she continued on inside.

_______________________________

Back At Sugarcube Corner
_______________________________


"Alright Pinkamena, you heard Twilight, give Pinkie control of her body again!" Rainbow Dash demanded.

"I'd appreciate it if you spoke in a more subtle tone," Pinkamena said. "Demanding things from others will not get you anywhere."

"Why you little! I outta-" Rainbow Dash said, interrupted.

"Easy Rainbow Dash, she's actually being cooperative at the moment, let's try and take it nice and slow, okay?" Rarity said.

"What!? Are you kidding me? She won't listen to anypony unless-" Rainbow Dash said, interrupted again.

"Um... Pinkamena... Do you think you could... Let Pinkie have her body back... At least for now?..." Fluttershy asked. "I mean... If you don't mind that is..."

"I'll gladly give control back to Pinkie," Pinkamena said. "You see that Rainbow Dash? You could learn a thing or two from this one."

Rainbow Dash's face flushed red with anger.

"Alright Pinkie, you can have your body back," Pinkamena said.

"Awesome!" Pinkie said. "But uh... How exactly do I take it back?"

"Just tell yourself that you want to switch places with me and the rest will be taken care of," Pinkamena said.

"Alright, I'll try," Pinkie said.

Shortly after, black electrical sparks ran through Pinkamena's body, as it underwent transformation once again. Her mane returned bright pink and poofy, along with her tail. Pinkamena's cloak disappeared and her coat became bright again as well.

"Hey! I did it!" Pinkie said. " Did it hurt at all Pinkamena?"

"Slightly, the more we do this the easier it will get, so eventually it'll be quick and painless," Pinkamena said. "Now come on, Twilight said we should head back to the Library correct?"

"She did say that..." Rainbow Dash said. "But I think it'll be better if we just catch the next train to Canterlot right now and meet her there!"

"But Twilight told us to-" Applejack said, cut off.

"So what if Twilight told us, she's not exactly in charge here," Rainbow Dash said. "The day I acknowledge all of Twilight's ideas is the day she sprouts wings or something! Which we all know will never happen!"

"I just don't think it's a good idea to ignore Twilight with a situation like this," Applejack said.

"As much as I hate to say it, I agree with Rainbow Dash," Pinkamena said.

"When did you change back?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"That's not important, what's important is that we should go to Canterlot," Pinkamena said. "If Luna really does know something about releasing me, then it would be best to be there in case we have further questions to ask."

"She does have a point," Rarity said. "Besides, we have a much larger range of people to ask over there in case Luna doesn't know anything."

"Then it's settled! We'll head for Canterlot right away!" Rainbow Dash said. "Make sure to change back into Pinkie, we don't want the townsponies having a heart attack y'know?"

"Yes, yes I know," Pinkamena said, changing back into Pinkie.

"Come on everypony! Let's get moving!" Pinkie said, rushing out the door with her friends towards the train station.

_______________________________________

Princess Celestia's Castle - Twilight's Arrival
_______________________________________


Twilight entered the Castle and made her way to Princess Celestia's Throne Room.

"Excuse me, Princess Celestia?" Twilight asked. "Do you know where I can find Princess Lu-"

"I know it's somewhere in this room Celestia! You wouldn't be so protective of it if there wasn't anything here," Eternal Sleep said.

"Why are you so bent on searching this place! You're surely mistaken little sister!" Celestia said. "Oh, hello Twilight, please come in."

"I'm sorry, but am I intruding on something?" Twilight asked.

"No it's fine, I'm just trying to talk some sense into my little sister here," Celestia said. "Twilight, this is Eternal Sleep."

"Eternal... Sleep?" Twilight asked. "Well Eternal Sleep, it's nice to meet you."

"Huh? Oh, um yeah... Nice to meet you..." Eternal Sleep said, turning back to Celestia. "Now if you'll excuse me Celestia, I have some investigating to do."

"Eternal Sleep! If you'd only let me talk!" Celestia said.

"What's wrong Celestia? What's she doing?" Twilight asked. "And you never told me you had a little sister!"

"That's because she's not really around, she doesn't exactly mettle in everyday affairs like me and Luna do," Celestia said. "She's quite... Different from us in many ways."

"Like what? I want to get to know her!" Twilight said.

"She isn't exactly big on making friends, even though I've tried my best to convince her to at least attempt to mingle, but she just refuses completely," Celestia said. "You really want to know about her?"

"Yes please!" Twilight said, excited.

"Alright then, Eternal Sleep is to simply put it... The Embodiment of Death," Celestia said.

"The... Embodiment of Death?" Twilight said. "Does that mean..."

"Yes, she possesses powers far greater than that of me and Luna," Celestia said.

"But, she's just a little filly!" Twilight said. "How can she surpass both of you?"

"She was simply born like that, she gets unexpected bursts of power sometimes, but it isn't anything she can't handle," Celestia said.

"Does that explain her odd mane and coat color?" Twilight asked, looking at Eternal Sleep, who had a pure black coat and a mane that of silver mixed with a light blue. Her pupils were also silver and her cutie mark was that of a skull and crossbones. Her mane style was also quite unusual, as it resembled that of her friend Derpy Hooves.

"Yes, although she seems quite confident now, she's actually pretty shy when talking to people she isn't familiar with," Celestia said. "Like with how she greeted you."

"I see... So what exactly is she doing here?" Twilight asked.

"After the Pinkamena Incident, many ponies here succumbed to her, and didn't make it. Eternal Sleep's main job is to escort the souls of the dead to their appropriate afterlife, using her own body as a vessel for them," Celestia said. "Hence why she is The Embodiment of Death."

"Wow... I never knew there was somepony who had a job like that..." Twilight said. "it's incredible..."

"I know, she has special powers and I'm trying me best to-" Celestia said, cut off.

"AH HA! I'VE FOUND IT!" Eternal Sleep said, running behind Celestia's Throne. "You could never hide it from me Celestia!"

"What are you talking about? There's... Nothing there!" Celestia said. "I'm telling you to get away!"

"No no no... You see Celestia, I know when somepony is suffering or when they're time is coming to a close... For some reason this was a bit more difficult to pinpoint but I've finally located it!" Eternal Sleep said, feeling around the floor behind the throne until she unlocked a secret passage way, leading down into the Castle's Depths. "What... Or better yet who are you hiding down here..."

"Eternal Sleep I FORBID you to go down there!" Celestia said.

With her first step downwards, Eternal Sleep felt uneasy, as a feeling of dread and extreme depression coursed through her body.

"What... Do you have down here?... It's... Suffering beyond belief..." Eternal Sleep said, hearing a blood curdling scream in her head, which was a trigger that told her that somepony... Was nearing death. "Whatever it is down there it's dying!"

Eternal Sleep raced down the stairs as fast as she could, hurrying before time ran out for the victim.

"Stay here Twilight, I'm going after Eternal Sleep," Celestia said. "I'll be right back."

"What? No way I'm going down there with you," Twilight said, racing ahead of Celestia and following Eternal Sleep.

"Twilight get back here!" Celestia said, going down the stairs. "Ugh... Why does no pony listen to me!"

Eternal Sleep raced down the seemingly endless hallway when she heard hoofsteps behind her.

"Why are you following me?" Eternal Sleep asked. "This is my duty and mine alone!"

"Hey I wanna see what Princess Celestia has locked up down here too!" Twilight said. "I won't be a bother, I promise!"

"Hmph, fine," Eternal Sleep said, "Just don't do anything you're not su-"

Eternal Sleep and Twilight came to a complete halt when they reached the end of the hallway. What they saw before their eyes was unbelievable. A filly with a pure white coat and light blue mane had been chained up against a wall. She was small and slightly crying to herself. Several protection spells of a high caliber had been placed around her as she was locked up in a reinforced cell.

"Is that...A filly?" Twilight asked. "Why... Why would Celestia have somepony down here trapped like this?"

"...Hold on a second," Eternal Sleep said, observing the prison. "That filly... Something isn't right about her."

"What do you mean?" Twilight asked. "What's wrong with her?"

"Eternal Sleep!" Celestia said, finally arriving to the scene. "Don't you dare release that pony!"

"Why have you kept her locked down here all this time? Stuff like this is my department Celestia, you have no right to interfere!" Eternal Sleep said.

"I'm so confused! Please explain to me what's going on!" Twilight said.

"You want to know? Fine, that pony is a demon," Eternal Sleep said.

"A demon?" Twilight said. "I didn't think those even existed."

"They are a very rare case, I myself have only seen about 1 or 2 in my entire time doing this," Eternal Sleep said. "They are created by experiencing extreme grief, pain, and sorrow in the time they were alive, they then resurrect themselves as a being composed of what they were most affected by, creating a demon."

Twilight sat there astounded, still trying to grasp the situation.

"Hate and malice are usually primary contributions to the creation of a demon, however... This one is different. I sense small traces of those feelings," Eternal Sleep said. "What I'm sensing... Is mostly sorrow, that must mean this pony had a rather emotionally traumatizing life... Where did you find this poor soul Celestia?"

"...We found her in the attic of an old house. Apparently she had brutally murdered her own mother and locked herself in the attic with her corpse, starving herself to death," Celestia said. "When we tried to help her... She killed many of our guards out of blind rage, it took all of my strength just to restrain her."

"Why didn't you contact me when you found this pony?" Eternal Sleep asked.

"She possesses powers that of a demon and she refuses to listen to reason! I wasn't sure if you've dealt with something like this before, so I didn't want to risk it..." Celestia said. "I'm... Sorry Eternal Sleep."

"It's alright, I forgive you... You were only looking after me after all... So thank you, I appreciate it," Eternal Sleep said. "However, something still most be done about her."

Eternal Sleep walked towards her cell and deactivated all the protective spells.

"You two stay back," Eternal Sleep said.

"I'm telling you she won't listen to reason! Please just leave her!" Celestia said.

"it's not that she won't listen to reason," Eternal Sleep said, opening the pony's cell and walking inside. "it's just that you haven't been portraying it correctly."

Eternal Sleep walked closer to the filly, hearing her strained breathing. As she got closer, the filly looked up at her, her eyes were pure black with small blood red pupils and red streaks were going down her cheeks.

"It's alright, I'm here to help you," Eternal Sleep said. "You have nothing to be afraid of."

The small pony started to breathe frantically and to everyone's surprise, she ripped off the chains constricting her and brought Eternal Sleep down to the ground, choking her neck.

"Eternal Sleep!" Celestia yelled, about to rush in and help.

"Stay out of this!" Eternal Sleep said. "I can save her, I know I can!"

Eternal Sleep reached her hoof out to the little pony's face and touched her cheek.

"You... Don't have to fear me... I'm here to help you... To care... For you," Eternal Sleep said, feeling the little pony's grip getting lighter. "I'm not like the others... I won't fight you or raise any violence towards you... I just want to help you."

Eternal Sleep took the pony's hooves and pushed them up gently, sat up... And hugged her tightly. "You might have experienced a lot of grief and sorrow in your life, but not anymore... I promise I'll be here to help you through everything," Eternal Sleep said.

The little pony slowly returned the hug, her eyes changed from blood red... To a glistening bright yellow.

"I'm... I'm sorry," The Little Pony said. "it's... Been so long since anyone has ever showed me any form of compassion... I'm sorry if I hurt you..."

"It's alright... You definitely are much different from other demons I've encountered..." Eternal Sleep said. "Heh... But the good kind of different."

"Thank you... I'm just... So happy!" The Little Pony said.

"Tell me, what's your name?" Eternal Sleep asked.

"My name?" The Little Pony Asked. "...It's Lilith."

"Lilith... What a beautiful name..." Eternal Sleep said. "Come on Lilith, let's get you outta here."

Eternal Sleep and Lilith left the cell and started along the path back to the castle.

"Hey, Eternal Sleep?" Twilight asked.

"Yea?" Eternal Sleep said.

"I just wanted to say... Well that you handled that amazingly," Twilight said. "What are you going to do with Lilith? Are you going to send her way onto the afterlife?"

"Not yet, demons are a special case as I said, so they take time until I can send them to their peaceful slumber," Eternal Sleep said. "For the time being... I'll just have to stay here with her and help her with whatever it is she needs... Also keep her under control... You never know what to expect from any demon."

"I understand..." Twilight said. "Hey, since you can interact with those whom are spirits... Would you happen to know anything about psychological parts of the mind?"

"The mind? Yes I know quite a few things about it, why do you ask?" Eternal Sleep asked.

"I actually came here to ask Princess Luna for help with something... But I think you might be more help to me on the subject," Twilight said. "I'd really appreciate your help if you don't mind!"

"Well... I'm not exactly doing anything at the moment so I don't see any reason why I can't," Eternal Sleep said. "Alright, when we reach the surface I'll help you with whatever it is you need."

"Oh, thank you so much!" Twilight said, hugging Eternal Sleep.

"H-Hey! K-Knock it off! I didn't say you could touch me!" Eternal Sleep said.

"Heh... Sorry about that, I couldn't help myself," Twilight said, laughing.

Eternal Sleep returned a chuckle and then continued on down the hallway until they reached the surface, only something was waiting for them this whole time.

"Hi Twilight!" Pinkie said. "We thought it'd be better if we went to meet you here in Canterlot!"

"What are you guys doing here! I told you to wait at the Library!" Twilight said. "Gah! It doesn't matter anymore I suppose."

"Hey Twilight, who's the little pony with the black coat?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"That's Eternal Sleep, Princess Celestia's little sister," Twilight said.

"I didn't know she had a little sister!" Rarity said. "She's adorable!"

"Yea, you don't wanna do that," Twilight said, looking at Eternal Sleep, whose eyes were open widely and staring at Pinkie. "Is something wrong Eternal Sleep?"

"...Something... Is very, very wrong here," Eternal Sleep said, walking towards Pinkie. "I sense... An unfathomable amount of malice coming from this one... I've never seen anything like it..."

Eternal Sleep raised her hoof and tapped Pinkie on her forehead, ultimately forcing her to switch places with Pinkamena.

"Well I uh... Didn't expect you to do that," Pinkamena said, looking down at Eternal Sleep, who was looking right back up at her.

"What... Are you. I've never seen anything like you before," Eternal Sleep said. "The fact that your power... Seems to rival my own is... Unsettling."

"Well you learn something new everyday am I right?" Pinkamena said. "But I suppose introductions are in order correct? I am Pinkie Pie's alter ego, you may call me Pinkamena... And I was born from the years of searing hate and malice that was locked away within her mind..."

"Twilight! I thought you sealed her away for good!" Princess Celestia said. "Why is she back!?"

"Princess Celestia, believe me when I say this, she's changed! She wants to be separated from Pinkie's body so she can lead a normal life in Ponyville!" Twilight said. "I know she's changed Princess! You have to believe me!"

"It's... Hard for me to say Twilight, she was the one who devastated Canterlot and the rest of Equestria!" Celestia said.

"I know, but don't you think if she really wanted to try again she would have already? I'm begging you, give her a chance." Twilight said.

"...Alright Twilight, I'll give her one chance, one and that's it!" Celestia said.

"Oh, thank you Princess! You won't regret it!" Twilight said, looking back at Pinkamena and Eternal Sleep.

"I'm Eternal Sleep... The Embodiment of Death," Eternal Sleep said. "And I'm not exactly sure If I can allow someone like you to roam around this world freely..."

"I have no intentions of using my powers for the purpose I once did before my dear," Pinkamena said.

"Even so, you... Intrigue me... And I want to see just how far your malice can take you..." Eternal Sleep said, getting into position.

"Oh, so it's a fight you want eh?... Very well, if you so choose to pick the time of your own death... I'll be happy to oblige," Pinkamena said, getting into position.

"You guys don't fight! It's not-" Twilight said, cut off my Eternal Sleep.

"Don't interfere Twilight, this pony intrigues me very much..." Eternal Sleep said. "Lilith stay close to Twilight for now."

"Oh um... Alright," Lilith said, moving next to Twilight.

"Stop this right now! It's-" Rarity said, cut off.

"Didn't you hear Eternal Sleep? Stay out of this, this is between us now!.." Pinkamena said.

Eternal Sleep And Pinkamena both got into a fighting stance, staring at each other with the motive to kill. Bright energy with feelings of kindness and hope circled Eternal Sleep as she gathered her strength, while utter darkness and feelings of despair and sorrow enveloped Pinkamena instead.

"Let's see just how far your hate has taken you!" Eternal Sleep said. "Although... Even as you are, I don't expect much..."

"Don't expect much do you..." Pinkamena said. "Believe me, if you underestimate me... You're in for a rude awakening."