• Published 10th Mar 2013
  • 532 Views, 17 Comments

Prisoner - Hearts n Hooves



Unable to live for himself, Archaic Smile lives to hide, unknowingly suffering his irrational phobias of society. When a mare from Manehattan moves to Ponyville, he suddenly finds himself caught up in an uncontrollable, life-changing relationship.

  • ...
1
 17
 532

Suggestions

“So, Arc,” Spring Glory said, “you’re a sculptor? That’s what the Princess said.”

Spring Glory and I had just finished a quick lunch, and since the afternoon was still young, I’d proposed that we walk around town for a while. I felt unusual being out and about so much, especially with Spring Glory—a friend— but everything had been happening so quickly that I’d hardly had time to process it all.

“Indeed she did,” I affirmed, embarrassed. “I’ve no clue how she knew, but... I am a sculptor.”

“Ooh, I’d love to see your work,” Spring Glory suggested.

“W-well, I do private commissions, mostly. Almost all of my work is in Canterlot, with my clients.”

“Canterlot? You must be very skilled.”

“Perhaps. I learned the trade there, so I had to be skilled,” I said. “B-by Canterlot’s standards, at least.”

“What do you mean?”

“Trends come and go in Canterlot. If one wealthy pony likes something, they all do,” I explained. “All I had to do was make my work flashy and expensive enough to get noticed. After that, I simply fulfilled the requests that followed.”

“So none of it was genuine?”

“N-not entirely... I was trying to save my profits,” I said. “I wanted to come to Ponyville, where my life could be quieter.”

“I see.”

“After I had enough, I moved here right away. I’m not rich, but I certainly have had enough savings for myself... I’m just one pony, after all.”

“Being a single pony is easier,” she said a bit distantly.

“Is it?” I hesitantly asked.

She said nothing.

“Being alone isn’t always... beneficial,” I continued.

Still nothing. She was staring at the dirt path as we walked.

“Glory?”

“What? Oh... sorry. I had something else on my mind,” she said. “You’re right, Arc. I don’t want to be alone. I’d rather be with you.”

“M-me?”

“Yes, you.”

“O-of all the ponies in Ponyville, there must be others... less like me.”

“You’re genuine.”

“Well, I—”

“Besides,” she interrupted. “You’re cute.” She giggled, and I looked down at my hooves as I blushed.

“I’m... glad you think so.”

We were silent for a little while. I was content with listening to the breeze, animals, and happy ponies we passed by. I could hear Spring Glory’s soft breathing, too, and for a moment I thought about the two of us.

Could we ever be more than friends?

I realized that I’d been staring at her, and I quickly looked away with knots in my stomach, relieved she hadn’t noticed. I couldn’t dismiss my thoughts about us, though, and it sent my heart aflutter.

“I’d love to see some of your other work, if you ever want to show me,” she casually suggested again.

I quickly considered her proposition. Any work that wasn’t commissioned was personal, and I kept it all in my basement. A small part of me wanted to show her, yet the thought of bringing her to my home—the only place I could escape to—made me uncomfortable.

“M-most of it is stored in my house. It’s all very... old... and dusty. Nothing special,” I murmured. “Maybe I can... show you another time.”

She nodded. “Only when you’re ready.”

Spring Glory knew I was just making excuses; we both did. I felt guilty for even trying to evade her, and more so that she seemed to expect it. She understood and didn’t mind, and I wasn’t sure what to think of it. Her insightfulness was embarrassing, yet comforting all at once.

“Thank you, Glory.”

“You don’t have to thank me, Arc,” she answered with a compassionate smile. “Why don’t we head back to the shop now?”

“Sure,” I said.

Almost immediately after we turned to head back, there was a loud boom, and we were bombarded with a cloud of streamers and confetti. I was completely stunned, and I watched with confusion as a bright, smiling, pink pony flew out from behind the cloud of streamers and began bouncing and singing in front of us. I recognized her immediately; it was Pinkie Pie, who had a reputation for partying and making ponies happy. The day after I’d moved to Ponyville, she had welcomed me, quite eccentrically, and invited me to a party, which I did not attend.

I couldn’t really tell what Pinkie Pie was singing about—I was too startled—so I stood still and waited for the ringing in my head to stop. She was dancing around Spring Glory, who seemed as confused as I was, yet excited.

When Pinkie Pie finally finished her song, she gave Spring Glory two envelopes and whispered something to her. Then, she bounced up to me and tilted her head, as if she was examining me.

“You okay?” Pinkie Pie asked.

I didn’t say anything. I couldn’t; my voice had vanished into my confusion.

“Ooohh, I get it!” she exclaimed. Her face instantly went blank and her eyes grew wide; she was just standing there, staring into my eyes, and I stared back. I didn’t know what else to do. Pinkie Pie’s gaze seemed to stop time, but then she suddenly blinked and stepped back.

“Wow, you’re good!” She hopped over to a large, pink canon—which had apparently produced the streamers and confetti—and started rolling it away. “Bye!” she shouted, and I watched her go.

“Archaic Smile?” It was Spring Glory. “Hey, Arc. Are you okay?” She was standing right in front of me, like Pinkie Pie had, but she looked worried.

“T-th-th-that w-was... e-ex... exhilarating,” I stammered.

She giggled a little. “Yes, it was... So, you’re okay?”

“Y-yes,” I answered, “just s-startled.” I started laughing about it, surprising us both. It felt so odd; I hadn’t laughed like that since I was a little colt.

“Good,” she said.

We remained standing face-to-face, and my heart melted. I could see every little detail—her bright, lavender eyes; her flowing, green mane; and her soft, radiant coat. I could even smell her breath, which I could only describe as an assortment of floral beauty. It was her eyes, though, that truly mesmerized me. I could see how she was eager—yearning, even—for something else, something completely alien to me, and I could see her fear; she looked as afraid as I felt.

By unspoken accord, we each leaned forward a little, until the tips of our noses were just barely touching. Spring Glory smiled and I blushed, and we stood together like that for a timeless moment. When she took a step back, I suddenly became aware of the ponies nearby who were watching us. Some were grinning at us, while others were awkwardly stealing glances our way, and I felt a little embarrassed.

“Perhaps we should go,” I murmured.

Spring Glory intimately rubbed her cheek against mine, and I felt a rush of excitement course though my body.

“Ponies are watching us, Glory,” I urged.

She looked down at her hooves—blushing like I was—and nodded. “Let’s go,” she said, turning in the direction of her shop.

I followed her, smiling to myself while trying not to look at anypony who’d been watching us. I heard a few of them giggling, and I quickened my pace to catch up with Spring Glory.

When we arrived at the shop, she unlocked the door and let me in. We stood awkwardly in the middle of the room for a while, and I tried very hard to find something to say, but I had no words for the feelings churning in my chest.

“So, who was that pink pony?” Spring Glory asked, breaking the silence.

“Um... Her name is Pinkie Pie,” I answered. “She’s known for her parties... and spontaneity.”

“She gave me these,” she said, taking those two envelopes out of her saddlebag. “They look like invitations.”

We tore them open, and inside were short letters inviting us to a party, just as Spring Glory had guessed. I read mine slowly, dreading what it meant.

A party... full of ponies... and it’s tonight, I thought.

“The party is tonight,” Spring Glory noted. “Would you like to go, Arc?”

“Would you?” I asked.

“I think it would be fun.”

“Then... Yes, we should go,” I decided.

“You’re sure?”

“Sure.”

“I should get ready,” she said, and I saw that eager look spark in her eyes again.

Abruptly, I kissed her.

The world whirled around us, as if we were caught in the eye of a hurricane, and I felt hot. My heart was hammering so hard it shook my body, and I felt like I was going to sway and fall, but Spring Glory’s brilliant gaze of wonder, astonishment, and delight kept me on my hooves. I thought the moment would last forever—I wished for it—but it ended as suddenly as I had begun it. I stepped back, trembling, and averted my eyes downward.

“I—”

“Hush,” she said, lightly kissing me again. “I need to get ready. You should, too. I’ll meet you at the party.”

I nodded. She turned and walked into the other room, and I stood in the middle of her shop, still shuddering. I felt giddy and profoundly confused; I wasn’t sure if I was melting or exploding. Eventually, I decided it was both, and I left the building. I sprinted and launched upwards, whooping as I took flight, and aimed for home.