• Published 10th Mar 2013
  • 532 Views, 17 Comments

Prisoner - Hearts n Hooves



Unable to live for himself, Archaic Smile lives to hide, unknowingly suffering his irrational phobias of society. When a mare from Manehattan moves to Ponyville, he suddenly finds himself caught up in an uncontrollable, life-changing relationship.

  • ...
1
 17
 532

Spring Season

There’s a new garden shop that opened the other day. My garden hadn’t done so well during this last winter season, so I decided to see what the shop offered. From what I understood, the shop was owned by a mare who just moved to Ponyville from Manehattan. City types have always unnerved me more than the ponyfolk around here; they always seem to expect some kind of small talk from me. This mare, though, wasn’t a city pony. She seemed to have other interests in mind.

I arrived at the shop after weaving through the quiet, hidden alleyways I know so well and saw a big banner hanging under the shop’s new sign. Together, they read, “Spring’s Glories; Grand Opening.” I looked around to confirm nonpony was around, then made my way to the shop’s entrance. Through its windows I could see several different flowers―the usual eye-catchers. I trotted in, and a little bell jingled; I winced at the sound, fearing that it would alert somepony of my arrival. Unfortunately, I was right. A pretty but worried-looking unicorn mare rushed in from the shop’s back room. Her coat was a light, minty green that almost seemed to sparkle. Her mane was a much darker green, like grass, yet it was just as radiant. Bright lavender were her eyes, shining like little stars.

“Hello! Welcome to Spring’s Glories! I’m the manager, Spring Glory,” she said with a nervous yet confident smile. “How may I help you, sir?”

As she spoke, my stomach knotted up and I regretted my decision to come. I could easily tell this was an innocent, good-spirited mare who simply wanted to find her place in Ponyville as the owner of a garden shop―and I felt like I would let her down as a customer and a Ponyville resident. Just... be natural, I thought.

“Hi... I, uh... I just wanted to... check out what you offer here.”

“I may not have everything you need, since my shop is still fairly new. I’ve been waiting for some shipments to come in.” She seemed a bit flustered; I was very flustered, though, so it might have only been my imagination. “If I don’t have it here I can promise to order it and receive it within a day or two,” she said.

I nodded and tried to smile. This was worse than the pointless Manehattan-banter I had prepared for―she was just so kind; it made me too nervous to think straight.

“...What is it that you’re looking for?” she asked.

“Just... a few things.” I pretended to examine the contents around the shop, but all I could really think about was my method of escape.

“Like?” Her smile seemed so genuine. It was nothing like the ersatz smiles many city ponies have.

“Um... I think I should go make a list and come back later.”

“...Are you sure?” Now her smile seemed genuinely strained.

“Yes... I can’t remember everything I need.”

“Perhaps if you look around, you’ll remember what you want?” I could tell she didn’t want me to leave without making a purchase.

“I think... I should go home and make a list, just to make sure I don’t forget anything.”

“You could always come right back if you do forge―”

“No, thank you. I... I’ll come back another time, with a list.” I felt bad interrupting her like I did, but I simply couldn’t maintain myself any long with this beautiful mare being so kind to me.

“Why... Yes, of course.” Her smile looked more like a grimace, and I’m sure my attempt was similar. I turned, heading for the door.

“Have a good day, sir!” she shouted as I stepped out.

Without looking back I spread my wings and leaped into the air. I flew as fast as I could―inconspicuously, of course― aiming for home.

I’m never going back there, I thought. I just can’t.