• Published 7th Mar 2013
  • 361 Views, 0 Comments

The Story of Samantha Frost - shadowpheon



"There are thousands of alternant universes, each containing a possible future" -Anon

  • ...
 0
 361

The Fight Begins

One Year Later
***

"It's mine?" Samantha asked the flight deck officer, looking over the VTOL.

"Yes Sergeant. All yours. Command says you can add your own personal touch as well, morale booster or something." The officer confirmed. He wrote on a clip board, and then walked away. Samantha opened the passenger compartment of her new VTOL, and climbed into it, looking around.

"Hey Sarge!" Keeting called from behind.

Samantha turned, "Hey Keeting. Good thing you showed up."

"Why's that?" He asked, leaning against the side of the VTOL.

"I need you to get the others so I can give them a rundown of our new equipment." Samantha smiled as she climbed out. She was a Master Sergeant, and the leader of a squad. Her squad members consisted of Corporals Grid, Kard, Jenson, and Keeting.

"Copy that Sarge." He turned and left. Samantha began painting on the VTOL. By the time Keeting returned, she was working on the other side. "Sarge? I'm back with the others."

Samantha stepped out. "Hey guys. Check out our new VTOL." She motioned to her hoof work. She had painted a bucket of ice with a dragon skull sitting on the bucket with a bullet hole in its head, a playing card sticking out of a crack, a compass in one of the eyes, and a wrench and screwdriver crossed behind the whole thing. It had 'On the Rocks' written under it. "Whaddya think?" She leaned against the VTOL.

"What does it mean Sarge?" Jenson asked.

"The bucket represents me, and how I support the squad. The bullet hole is you Jenson, and your dead eye accuracy watching our front. The Jack of Spades is you Kard, and how you keep our spirits high. The compass is you Grid, and your ability to lead us safely. And the tools are you Keeting, and how you always have our back." She smiled, pointing out each one.

"And the dragon's skull?" Kard pointed.

"That's our prey, and how we all surround and kill them." She chuckled.

"'On the Rocks'? Interesting name. I like it." Grid input.

"Our motto, our name, and our goal all in one." Samantha pointed out. "Wanted to show you all what you'll be representing."

"It's phenomenal work Sarge." Keeting said. Samantha chuckled.

"Here," She tossed them some bits, "Go get yourselves some drinks. My treat. Just bring me back one."

"Betcha want an On the Rocks?" Kard smiled. The others had a chuckle, then left. Samantha returned to her work. A few minutes later, Keeting returned with two drinks. He sat down in the hold of the VTOL.
"Got your drink Sarge. You can take a break now." He smiled at her.

"Thank Keeting." She sat next to him, taking a drink.

"No problem. We're friends, and that's what we do." Samantha chuckled at this. "What?"

"I don't have friends Keeting. Only allies and advisories." She explained. "You guys are just closer allies than the rest." Keeting nodded.

"I see." He drank, looking down.

"What's up?" She looked at him.

"Nothing Sarge." He lied.

"Keeting. I can tell when you're lying. Especially to me. What's wrong?" She set her drink down, moving a bit closer to him.

"It's just..." He sighs. "I got a letter earlier today. My family was killed in an attack. I lost everyone. And I had no friends prior to joining. Hell..." He drinks. "I still have no friends." He sighed again and looked down. Samantha pat his back.

"Don't worry Keeting. You may not have friends, but you have a squad. We will be there for you."
***
One Year Later
***

Hector Frost stood in front of the small crowd. Lydia and Samantha stood next to him. An official of Stable Tech walked up, and pulled out a piece of paper. He read, "Colonel Hector T. Frost. You have been tried and found guilty of treason to the Stable Tech Corporation. You have been sentenced to death, and as per requested, your daughter, Master Sergeant Samantha F. Frost, will be the shooter." The official handed Samantha a .44 revolver.

"You have five minutes with your family." He walked away. Lydia instantly cut Hector's wrist restraints, and embraced him. Samantha stood nearby quietly, holding back any emotions.

"Well. This is it." He sighed and rubbed his graying mane. He was an old stallion, roughly fifty eight.

"Goodbye my love. We shall always remember you for the great stallion you are." Lydia said tearfully. They embraced once more before he turned to Samantha.

"Ready sweetheart?" He asked her. She simply nodded. He was escorted to his stand by Lydia, and Samantha walked to her spot. She cocked the revolver's hammer. She raised the revolver, took aim, but found herself unable to pull the trigger. The harder she tried, the closer she felt to bursting. "It's ok sweetheart. It has to be done."

Samantha burst, unable to hold her emotions back any longer. She leapt forward, catching Hector in a hug, crying into his chest. He hugged her back, petting her gently. "There there. It's alright. We both know it needs to be done. I'm so proud it gets to be you who does it. I love you Samantha. I love you both so very much." He planted a gentle kiss on her forehead.

The gunshot rang out loudly, Samantha pulling the trigger to the revolver stuck to the side of his head. Hector Frost fell limp as Samantha collapsed, still clinging to the body. She cried uncontrollably now. Lydia knelt next to her as she let go of him and grabbed onto her now. She held her distraught daughter close, gently patting her.

A morgue worker wrote on his clipboard while multiple tears of sorrow were shed, 'Hector T. Frost. Died on April Eighteenth, Twenty Ninety Six.' Samantha and Lydia soon after returned to Ponyville base.

Corporal Keeting sat with the others. Kard was playing Blackjack with the others, whooping them bad. They were on the topic of mares they would do in the base. They somehow got to General Lydia Frost. "Would you do her Jenson?"

"Hell no! Besides her being Sarge's mother, she's gotta be close to sixty!" He exclaimed.

"I might, depending on how much you'd pay me." Grid said. "I mean, every mare needs love. And apparently her husband was killed this morning. Sarge shot him dead as the two hugged for the last time." Keeting leapt over.

"What was that?" He interrupted their game.

"Sarge killed her father. He was sentenced to death by Stable Tech. He requested that Sarge be the one to shoot him." Grid clarified. Just then, Samantha walked by. Her eyes were red and puffy, and she passed without a sound.
"Should we do something?" Keeting turned back to them.

"What can we do? She shot him. Not much we can do about that." Kard said. The three resumed their game. Keeting stood, and began after Samantha.

"Where you going Keeting?" Grid asked.

"To comfort her. She needs us, and I'll be the first to help." He told them.

"Boy, you must have a death wish." Jenson input.

"No. I'm simply returning the favor." Keeting sighed as he left the three. They looked at each other.

"We'll help after this hand." Kard said. The others nodded in agreement. Keeting followed Samantha to the showers. She was standing nude in a corner shower, the cold water flowing down on her. Keeting stepped into the shower room.

"Sarge? You alright?" He asked, walking up to the shower. He was frightened as she turned around and grabbed onto him, pulling him into a hug, beginning to sob heavily into his shoulder. He was scared. He had seen her walk right through the Hell of Hell, and never shed a tear. The other stallions and mares in the shower glanced in their direction, and Keeting gave them a terrified, yet understanding look.

He wrapped his arms around Samantha, holding her, gently patting her back. He tried to give her the comfort she deserved. She cried on for about half an hour before lifting her head, sniffling. "He didn't deserve to die Keeting. He was the loyalist stallion I've ever know. Hell, he could’ve been the Element of Loyalty."

Keeting nodded. "Stable Tech is just a bunch of power hungry assholes. Anyone that gets in their way gets eliminated." Samantha nodded. She sniffled once more before releasing him. She gathered her things that lay in the floor of the shower. She then returned to the barracks and sat on her bunk, Keeting taking a seat next to her.

He draped an arm over her shoulder. "Keeting. Thank you. You truly are a great friend." Keeting took these words heavily. She had said it herself, 'I don't have friends Keeting. Only allies and advisories.' Yet right there, she had called him her friend. That meant the world to him.

"You're welcome Sarge. I'll always be here for you." He smiled.

"As will we." Kard said, walking up with the other two. "Sorry for the late arrival. Lost track of where you went."
Samantha nodded with a smile. "Thank you all."