• Published 5th Mar 2013
  • 1,155 Views, 14 Comments

To Trust Chaos - Spiral Eyes



Twilight has to watch over Canterlot with Discord, but can she trust him?

  • ...
2
 14
 1,155

Chapter 1

Sunlight glistened upon a large tree, casting a shadow that reached the center of the town it stood in. Though this tree stood above many of the buildings in this small village, it was as much a home as any of the other abodes in the area, and as such had a door and windows in where one would expect them to be. Through one of those windows the light of the sun pierced through, shimmering through to the inside, which held a small bedroom on the upper section of the tree. Near the corner of the room held a bed, everything around it in a neat order. On the bed laid a young alicorn mare, snuggly wrapped underneath the covers. Her lavender coat shined a bit as the light approached further into the room, while she snored gently, her head and wings bobbing in rhythm with her breathing. As the sun reached her face, she began to squirm. She opened her eyes, stretching her wings and forelegs as she gave a bellowing yawn. She sat up in the bed, looking around the room as her face began to take a smile.

“Another beautiful day…”she said, excitement beginning to overtake her exhaustion. Her horn began to glow a purple aura and her blankets soon took that glow as their own, and they moved to the front of the mare’s bed. She stepped onto the ground, all four hooves on the floor. She began to slowly but happily trot, moving towards a towards a small basket. Reaching it, she gave the basket a tiny kick. “Come on Spike! Time to get up!”

Inside the basket, a small purple dragon squirmed and groaned. “Come on Twilight…” She said in an exhausted and rough tone, “Five more minutes…” He began to drift back into sleep.

“No way!” the mare said in a joyous yelp, causing the dragon to jolt slightly into the air. “We have a big day of studying ahead of us, and we’re going to start early.” She began to walk down the stairs, her excitement making her look almost as bright as the sun itself.

Spike rubbed one of his eyes, slowly trudging to his feet. “What’s this “We” stuff?” the he asked. “I’m not the new princess around here, you are…” He groaned as he began to follow Twilight down the steps.

“Oh come on Spike,” Twilight said, “I couldn’t do this without my favorite study partner.” She smiled and chuckled at the small dragon, as she reached a desk with a mirror, and looked at the reflective glass.

She stretched her wings out wide, analyzing each feather in the mirror. “New princess…” the words vibrated in her mind, her excitement increasing more every time she had the thought. It had already been two weeks since Twilight had gotten those wings, two weeks since she had been made an official princess of Equestria. At first, she had been beyond nervous at the prospect of royalty. Nearly her whole life, she had been a student to the great Princess Celestia, ruler of Equestria, but now Twilight herself was royalty, perhaps (though very unlikely) in equal status to Celestia herself. It was almost too much for her to handle. But with time to think about it, the prospect of royalty made her nothing but eager. With this new position, there were now hundreds, thousands, maybe even millions of new things for her to learn so that she would be prepared for this new path. The thought of her gathering all these new details about Equestria brought her to a near euphoric feeling.

Before losing herself completely in thought, she took a brief look at her deep purple mane. In was mangy and disarrayed from her sleep. “We can’t be having that now, can we?” she said picking up a brush with her magic. Using it, she brought her mane to a neat bobcut. However, as she was about to put the brush down, part of her mane frazzled out to its initial mangy state. Puzzled, she tried to brush it down. Though that section came down, as soon as she moved the brush away, the rest of her mane frazzled out. Twilight took a face of irritation, and began to brush again, but as soon as she did, her whole mane poofed and curled in a burst of air. “What the-“ before she could finish her sentence, air burst once again, and her mane was tied into buns. More bursts came, rotating her mane through various hairstyles, from spikes to Mohawks, to crew cuts and pompadours. Finally, her mane settled in an afro like state, resembling the wig of a clown. “What the hay is going on!?!” Twilight shouted, her voice shaking with anger. She tried to brush away this anomaly of a look, but her progress amounted to naught.

In the steam of her anger, her ears perked. She could swear that she had heard something. The sound was muffled, but was most definitely the cacophony of a snicker, combining the sound of a young colts laugh with that of an energetic and eccentric older stallion. Twilight quickly deduced what was occurring, and grinded her teeth in anger. Her face fuming with rage, she gave a mighty shout into the air-“DISCORD! I know you’re the one doing this!”

Out of seemingly nowhere, a large creature made of the parts of various animals appeared, and those snickers that Twilight had heard quickly transformed into cackling laughter. “Oh Twilight!” the creature shouted, levitating in the air, “The look on your face was absolutely priceless!” The creature rubbed his eye, removing the tears brought on by his laughter.

As the creature’s laughing died down, Twilight’s anger rose. “Discord, fix my mane, right now!” she demanded, eyes red with her moment’s avarice.

Discord rolled his eyes, then pulled up on Twilight’s mane, restoring its bobcut state. “Really now Twilight,” he said, with a bit of a smug tone, “You must learn to laugh at these things. They’re just tricks! Why, I’ve even gotten Celestia to laugh at a bit of my mischief!” he gave this whole monologue while circling Twilight.

“I swear Discord” Twilight said, “You’ve gotten more annoying since you’ve reformed…”

“OH! Princess Twilight, you’ve wounded this jester with your hateful words!” Discord took an over dramatic bow backward, as the garb of a clown was brought onto him, with a tear painted under his eye.

Twilight looked on at this in annoyance. “…why are you here Discord?” she asked.

Discord returned to his standard look, and put his to his chin in an attempt to remember. “Ah yes! I remember!” Quickly , Discord took on the costume of a king’s squire, holding a brass horn to his mouth and pointing it into the air, playing the tune of royal entrance. “Here ye, Here ye!” he shouted after the completion of his tune. “Princess Twilight Sparkle is hereby ordered to report to Canterlot, and take temporary watch over the castle, as mandated by her royal highness, Princess Celestia!” At a snap of his fingers, a scroll landed in front of Twilight. Twilight took a face of curiousity and she opened the scroll. It read-

My Most Faithful Student,
I know that this request has been given to you on very short notice, giving very meager time to prepare for what I ask of you. Despite this, I ask that you put aside your doubts in yourself, and do your best to lead while I am away. Though I do not wish to put you through this, my sister and I have urgent business to attend to in Saddle Arabia, and are forced to trust you to take care of things well enough. Should you find this work too stressful, feel free to ask Discord for help, he is a faithful and effective vassel, despite his mischievous ways.

With great faith,

Princess Celestia.

“….” Twilight had to reread that last part. Discord faithful? Discord effective? She may have been there when she he reformed, but such a positive reception towards him was impossible for her to believe. “Discord must have added that last part…” Twilight thought to herself.

Suddenly, Discord grabbed the purple mare, “Oh this is fantastic Twilight!” he shouted, intensifying his hug. “Just you and me, taking care of all of Equestria for Celestia knows how long! Oh, I am so excited!” at a snap of his fingers, , confetti dropped down on Twilight. Twilight knew that with Discord by her side, whether this temporary rule last one day or 100, it would be a very unpleasant experience.