• Published 13th Apr 2013
  • 827 Views, 3 Comments

A Fractured Pinkie - RustyNails



After breaking her leg, Pinkie Pie spies on Ponyville, and becomes suspicious of Fluttershy's strange activities.

  • ...
0
 3
 827

Cheering Up Pinkie

Several days had passed since Pinkie Pie's accident. Pinkie was in her bedroom sitting in a reclining chair by the window, her casted leg propped up with a brace. Outside was a beautiful day, with birds chirping, shops bustling, and young ponies playing. Pinkie would love to be outside having fun, but instead here she was confined to her bedroom above SugarCube Corner until her leg healed. Pinkie rolled her eyes and sighed.

"Good Morning Pinkie Pie." said a cheerful voice. Mrs. Cake came up the stairs carrying a tray of food on her head.

"How's the leg this morning deary?"

"Same as yesterday and the day before. Sore, itchy, and weighing a ton.

"I made your favorite breakfast to cheer you up." said Mrs. Cake. "Fried daisies with grass, and a glass of Applejuice."

"Thanks." Pinkie said solemnly, as she dug into her breakfast.

"Mrs. Cake? What would you do if you couldn't move for six weeks?"

"Oh I don't know deary, I've never had that happen to me." Pinkie looked at her mundanely.

"But I'm sure there's lots of things to do while laid up in your house, like I don't know write a good story, make a new game, tell some funny jokes. Oh here's one. Why couldn't the pony sing in the choir? Give up? She was a little...hoarse." Mrs. Cake had a great chuckle. Pinkie broke the fourth wall with raised eyebrow.

"OOOh I get it." she said sarcastically. Mrs. Cake smiled with a blush.

"Carrot cake and I have several orders to fill today, but tonight when we're finished we'll all get together and play Canasta. Won't that be fun?"

"Sure." said Pinkie. "Have a great day." Mrs. Cake trotted back downstairs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Later, Pinkie was still in the same chair. Gummy her pet alligator was sitting on her leg gnawing at the cast. The door opened, and somepony came in.

"Pinkie Pie. Knock Knock." said a familiar voice. "Anypony home?"

"I'm up hear Rarity." Rarity trotted up to Pinkie's room.

"How's our little patient today?" asked the white unicorn.

"Do I really need to answer that?"

"Oh I know how you feel darling. Being stuck inside for several weeks would drive almost anypony off the pasture. I know that's what would happen to me. Heehee." Pinkie looked at her not amused.

"Well, I woke up this morning with a brilliant idea. What better way to cheer you up than a nice all around makeover." For once Pinkie actually perked up.

"That sounds nice."

"Oh I knew you'd love it." said Rarity.

"But how? I can't move remember."

"Oh you don't have to go anywhere. I'm bringing the makeover to you. Spike's right behind me with my equipment. Oh Spike, are you coming." The baby dragon strained up the stairs carrying an arms load of heavy makeover equipment.

"Right here Rarity."

"Oh thank you so much Spikey Wikey. How can I repay you?"

"Let me put this stuff down?" said Spike under enormous strain.

"Deal!" Spike collapsed with the equipment falling on top of him. Rarity reached for a pair of hoof shaped gloves that she snapped over her front hooves.

"Now let's get started." she said rubbing her hooves together.

Rarity put Pinkie's head back into a sink.

"Are we ready to be beautified?"

"Absotutleyloutly." said Pinkie.

"Perfect. Only last thing. Spike? Music please." Spike pulled over Pinkie's record player and slipped a record into it.

"Music?" asked Pinkie.

"Oh yes." answered Rarity. "I always do makeover to music." Spike put the needle down on the record, which started playing Rossini's Largo Al Factotum.

Rarity proceeded to give Pinkie a really aggressive makeover. She blasted Pinkie's head with water in the sink, massaged her scalp, ran combs through her mane, spread pore-refining clay over her face, and stuck two cucumbers in her eyes, all in time with the music. Rarity sung along with the operatic lyrics, albiet very badly. The unicorn then spun Pinkie around in the the chair, laid her face down on a massage table, and vigorously massaged her back and shoulders, sometimes picking her up and forcing her down on the table. Rarity straightened Pinkie's mane and tail, giving her several different looks: curly hair with ribbons, corn rows, straight hair with pigtails, pink Marge Simpson hair, Mikey Mouse ears, and many others. All the while, Pinkie was getting discouraged.

"Rarity?" but Rarity didn't hear her. She was too wrapped up in her singing.

"Rarity?"

"Rarity?"

"Rarity?"

"RARITY!!!!!!!!" At that instant, Rarity stopped singing and the record player died with a scratch.

"Yes Pinkie?" blinked Rarity.

"This is very nice of you, but I don't think I'm in the mood for a makeover anymore."

"Are you sure?" Pinkie looked at the makeover equipment with a sense of dread. She had no idea how aggressive Rarity's makeovers were.

"Positive."

"Well." Rarity shrugged. "Maybe a makeover's not the best thing for a broken leg. Come along Spike, back to the boutique." Rarity used her magic to pile all of her things back in Spike's arms. She trotted back downstairs.

"You coming Spikey Wikey?" Spike strained under the heavy tonnage.

"Right...behind...ya..."

-------------------------------------------------------

Pinkie sat in the middle of her bedroom with Fluttershy sitting next to her in a lotus position. Among them were sticks of smoking incense, and a statue of a Buddha pony. Fluttershy's mane was all done up in a turban like style.

"The best way to make the best of an unfortunate situation is quiet relaxing meditation." said the yellow Pegasus. "Looking deep into the inner reaches of the mind, and clearing it of all negative thoughts and feelings."

"Um Fluttershy?" asked Pinkie slightly confused as to what was going on. "What exactly are we doing?"

"Hush Pinkie." said Fluttershy as she closed the curtains. "We're taking a journey deep into a world of unbelievable relaxation. I do this with my critter friends three times a month. When we're finished you'll be so relaxed you'll practically forget about the cast on your leg."

"That's good enough for me." said Pinkie.
Fluttershy sat back in the lotus position and held up a small gong.

"All right. Are we ready?"
Pinkie closed her eyes.

"Ready." Fluttershy banged the gong with a mallet.

"Now take deep breaths in and out." They both inhaled and exhaled.

"Breathe in that positive energy, breathe out the negative emotions. Ahhhhhhhhh." Fluttershy opened one eye half way

"Are you feeling more relaxed Pinkie?" she asked.

"Yes. I am." said Pinkie

"Splendid. Now, go deep into your mind."

"Deep into my mind?" asked Pinkie

"Deep into your mind."

"Deep into my mind."

"Yes, deep into your mind. Deeper and deeper as if you're walking down a long spiral staircase."

"Like the one in the Crystal Palace?" asked Pinkie. Fluttershy paused for a moment with her eyes closed.

"...Yes, like that one. You're falling deeper, and deeper, and deeper, until finally...you come to the bottom."

"I'm at the bottom." said Pinkie.

"We're at the bottom." said Fluttershy.

"Now what?" said Pinkie.

"You see a door. And behind that door is a very bright light, brighter than you've ever seen."

"Oooh pretty."

"You open the door and you are engulfed in the bright nourishing light. The light lifts all the negative feelings away. You feel your body rejuvinating, the break in your bone sealing up, and it feels absolutely wonderful, and in a blinding flash...all is now quiet.

"That was cool." said Pinkie.

"You fall back out of your mind and into your body." Said Fluttershy. "Open your eyes." They both do.

"Wow Fluttershy." said Pinkie. "That meditation stuff really worked. I feel one hundred and twenty percent better."

"What are friends for." replied Fluttershy with a giggle.

"I think I fancy a stroll around Ponyville." but when Pinkie tried to walk, she tripped over her cast.

"Ouch! Hey, nothing happened. My leg is still broken."

"Well of course its still broken Pinkie." Said Fluttershy. "That can't be helped. The point is that now you feel better about it."
Pinkie's ears drooped, and she sunk her head into her front hooves with a sigh.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Next it was Rainbow Dash's turn to try to entertain Pinkie. She was reading Pinkie the newest Daring Do book.

"And slowly. Very carefully. Daring Do and her accomplice, ShahLaLa hoisted the long lost Golden Ark of Pony's Covenant out of its sarcophagus. Cast in the finest gold seen to Ponykind, the Ark possessed a power beyond all imagination. So powerful was it that one touch by any hoof would curse the pony to a terrible fate."

"Um Rainbow, not to disappoint, but I'm not as into Daring Do as you are. Is there anything else we can do, maybe something funny?"

"You want funny huh?" said Rainbow. Pinkie nodded. Rainbow set up a curtain in Pinkie's room.

"So you want to see funny. I'll show you funny." She ducked behind the curtain. With a drumroll, Rainbow burst out with a pig nose, doing Pinkie's pig dance.

"First you wiggle your tail, Oink! Oink! Oink! Then you wiggle your snout, Oink! Oink! Oink! Then you wiggle your rump, Oink! Oink! Oink! And shout it out, Oinki! Oink! Oink! First you wiggle your tail, Oink! Oink! Oink! Then you wiggle your snout, Oink! Oink! Oink! Then you wiggle your rump, Oink! Oink! Oink! And shout it out, Oinki! Oink! Oink!
Pinkie just stared at Rainbow.

"Wow. That's not funny at all." Rainbow stopped and looked at herself with the pig nose.

"What am I doing?"

Author's Note:

Rossini's Largo Al Factotum is a piece of music used in Bugs Bunny cartoons and many others.
The Fluttershy meditation scene is my favorite bit of the whole story.
Rainbow Dash doing the Pig Dance was one of the first ideas for this story.