• Published 3rd Mar 2013
  • 1,211 Views, 11 Comments

Lost and Afraid - Mr Anomalous



Twilight makes a mistake with a new teleportation spell, and become lost...somewhere.

  • ...
3
 11
 1,211

What Have I Done?

What Have I Done?

What have I Done?

That's the question that refused to stop permeating my mind, no matter where else I tried to make my mind wander, that nagging question always found its way back to me, like a hidden cancer that refused to die away.

The state that my mindset was in was dark, very discouraged, and very cold. I had absolutely no idea where I was, none, zero, zip.

When the spell had ended, I had fully expected myself to be in the bright city of Canterlot, the sun sending its warm rays of light around the majestic buildings. But I got just the opposite.

Where I found myself was, instead... somewhere.

After the the light and the turbulence of my spell faded away, I was assaulted on all sides by freezing wind and heavy snowfall.

Naturally, I was quite surprised. This was not what I had expected at all. But, soon, my surprise was ripped from my mind, replaced instead by an unnatural cold.

It was freezing, a blacker cold then I could have ever imagined, colder then I had ever felt. I couldn't see, far to dark. It was nighttime, as far as I could tell, but it didn't mattered; I needed to find shelter.

I tried what I did best: magic. I still do not know to this day why it never worked.

I could not create a shield, nor could I create a light. I began to panic. I was terrified beyond belief. Not only had I failed to teleport to where I had wanted to, but now my magic wouldn't work whatsoever. For a unicorn such as myself, that is terrifying, especially when my special talent is indeed magic.

What would I do without magic? Would I never be able to use it again? If not, then wouldn't that mean that I wouldn't be able continue my studies with Princess Celestia?

Words cannot explain how I felt at that moment. I felt bare, naked, stripped, helpless, lonely and afraid, just to name a few.

I began to blindly fumble around in the darkness, trying my best to find something, anything, that I could hide behind or under. I found one.

As I was stumbling, I felt a second or two of a lighter wind. I back-tracked a bit and found the area again. Yes, the wind was definitely not as bad here.

I felt around for a bit and my hoof hit something. It was solid, and large enough to hunker down next to, so I gladly accepted its presence.

Despite my fear, and the cold, I found myself drifting into a sleep. I knew that I couldn't, something could get me in my sleep, or I could get hypothermia. But...I couldn't help myself. My eyelids dragged down, ready to shut out all of the cold and the misery, if only for a few minutes.

I knew that I shouldn't have, but I did anyway. I welcomed the black bliss, the illusion of warmth, and I drifted away, there, in that unknown land where my magic was useless, where I was lost and afraid.

I went to sleep.


[/hr]

I awoke to the sound of wind. Of course, there had been wind when I had arrived, but the wind...it was different. It was lighter.

I was alive and well, as far as I could tell. Then I realized that I could finally see. The blizzard was still raging, as was the wind, but it had all died down a bit, much to my thanks.

I turned around and gasped at what I had been leaning against. I cannot tell you what it was, because I have no idea. I can only tell you that it was some sort of machine. It was massive, made from metal. Several severed wires protruded from several broken parts. There was a smashed window and, inside, a seat and a worn control panel.

Whatever it was, three quarters of it was buried beneath the snow and ice, and it was ages old. Something quite advanced had created this, but I was not sure what it was. Where was it now? Hiding? Dead? Who knew?

I looked around and noticed several other shapes in the snow. As I looked closer I saw that they were only trees. Dead, nasty, gnarly trees, dead for a long time, but not permitted to decay because of the constant presence of the ice, freezing them over.

I was still tired, and I decided to see if I could find a safer place to drift away again. I climbed inside the machine, and found that, compared to the frozen outer world, it was still. I explored the small area, and found a hatch.

All attempts to open it were in vain, for it was frozen shut.

I curled up against the wall, farthest from the broken glass, and permitted myself to rest once more.

I. I was the prized student of Princess Celestia, the Element of Magic, and one of the most knowledgeable ponies in Equestria. I am not a boaster, but I am prideful in these things. Yet, all of this, and I was stuck. I was lost. I was lost and afraid, with no way to get home, not way to reassure my friends I was alright, at least for the moment, and no way to get warm. Again, I was assaulted by feelings of insignificance and incompetence. Then, all of that was replaced by hope. Hope that I would find a way back, hope that Princess Celestia would find me, and hope that I would see my friends again.

I looked back outside, and the negativity came back. I was alone. I was lost and I was afraid.

I was going to die all by myself, in the cold, never to be found, no one every knowing where exactly I went. I cried myself into a sleep filled with nightmares and without happiness.