• Published 30th Jan 2012
  • 1,271 Views, 2 Comments

We Rule the Night - Solar Flare



Nightmare Moon's possible return poses a threat to Equestria.

  • ...
5
 2
 1,271

Chapter 7, Sunset

Chapter 7: Sunset

A haunting howl pierced the night. Fluttershy awoke with a start, looking around frantically. Many of her animal friends were gathered around the windows in her cottage timidly looking outside. Fluttershy quietly flew from her bed to join them.

Outside the cottage, Fluttershy saw a terrifying sight. Ponies marched along the road, all obscured by black capes and hoods. Alongside them, all manner of horrible creatures prowled, Timber Wolves, Manticores, and even a few cockatrices.

Fluttershy began to shake.

A knock sounded at her door, causing her to squeal. Very slowly she approached the door and opened it. Two of the hooded ponies stood at her door.

“Are you Fluttershy?”

“Um… No?”

The ponies exchanged glanced. “We’ll need you to come with us.”

“Um, well, I would love to, but um…” She glanced around for an excuse. “Well I would, but my bunny Angel is, um… Very sick!” Fluttershy shot Angel a desperate glance. The rabbit began coughing with exaggeration.

One of the ponies lowered his hood. His coat and mane were completely black. “It wasn’t a question.” They took a step toward her.

Fluttershy’s eyes grew wide and intense. The two black ponies stopped in their tracks. Their eyes were fixed on hers in what would have looked like a ruthless staring contest. The three were locked together like this for minutes, Fluttershy’s stare stopping them from acting.

Eventually, the ponies winced, turned flank and ran. Fluttershy sighed and retreated back into her cottage.

“What could that have been about…?” Fluttershy asked herself.

-

Carrot Cake forced himself up to answer the door. It was past midnight, who could have been knocking at this hour?

Carrot Cake opened to door the find a small group of hooded ponies.

“Sorry, but we’re closed…” Carrot Cake muttered, half awake. He tried to close the door, but one of the ponies stopped him.

“We’re here to speak with your employee, Pinkamina Diane Pie. Is she here?” The ponies voice was deep and unforgiving, and Carrot Cake immediately knew not to trust them.

“Uh, no. No, she doesn’t live here anymore.” He lied quickly. He nervously glanced toward the ceiling. Above him, Pinkie and his two foals were sleeping.

“Well, we’re gonna need to have a look around anyway. Just in case.”

“Look, there are babies asleep upstairs and I have to-“ Carrot Cake silenced himself when a Timber Wolf pushed its way through the ponies and began to sniff around. The wolf creaked and groaned as it stalked around the bottom floor of the shop. Slowly, it made its way toward the staircase.

A bead of sweat rolled down Carrot Cake’s forehead. The last thing he wanted to do was hand over Pinkie Pie to these ponies and their wolves, but if that wolf got into Pound and Pumpkin’s room there was no telling what would happen.

“Alright, stop, stop! Pinkie’s room is on the third floor, just please, don’t let that wolf near my foals!”

The lead pony nodded and whistled. The wolf growled at the stairs but retreated reluctantly. Two pegasi flew silently up the staircase. A moment passed, then two.

“Hey, is this a surprise night party?” Pinkie’s unmistakable voice rang down the stairs. Carrot Cake hung his head miserably.

“Don’t worry. We’re under strict orders that she is to come to no harm.” The lead pony said.

“Strict orders from whom?”

“From Nightmare Moon, of course.”

A shiver ran down Carrot Cake’s spine. Had Redstar been telling the truth?

Pinkie trotted down the stairs, accompanied by the two pegasi. She jabbered happily, apparently oblivious to the situation.

She stopped when she saw Carrot Cake.

“Hey, Mr. Cake! Did you plan this party for me? It’s not even my birthday!”

“Uh, no Pinkie, it wasn’t me.”

Pinkie tilted her head and looked past him to where the Timber Wolf stood, poised ready to pounce on command. Its wooden lips were pulled back in what was apparently a snarl, and Pinkie’s face fell.

“This isn’t a party at all, is it?”

“We need you come with us.” The lead pony said.

“Where to?”

“To town square. Your friends Applejack and Fluttershy are being retrieved as well.”

Pinkie gazed at them for a moment, then shook her front right leg as if it hurt. Years of living with Pinkie Pie had taught Carrot Cake that that meant something scary was about to happen.

“Okie dokie lokie…” Pinkie said cautiously, following the hooded ponies from the shop.

Carrot Cake felt horrible. He had just given Pinkie, who was like a daughter to him, over to somepony who may be dangerous. The pony had said she wouldn’t be hurt, and Carrot Cake prayed he had been telling the truth.

-

Applejack had fallen asleep in a chair near Big Macintosh’s bed in the hospital, lulled by the rhythmic beeping of the machine he was hooked up to.

A noise from outside snapped her awake and she went to investigate. She gazed out the window on a strange sight.

A procession of cloaked ponies marched through the streets. Alongside them were all manner of horrible monsters.

Applejack recognized the Timber Wolves that always howled during Zapapple season, as well as the manticores, which she and her friends had tussled with once.

Halfway down the procession, one of the ponies wasn’t wearing a cloak. Applejack strained her eyes to see who it was in the dark.

It was Pinkie Pie. She walked slowly, casting nervous glances side to side. AJ bit her lip nervously. After a minute’s hesitation she trotted outside.

As she left the building, two Timber Wolves approached her slowly, growling. One of the ponies who was in the lead approached.

“Applejack?”

“Uh, yeah?”

“We have some questions for you. Would you come with us please?”

Applejack glanced at the wolves. “I guess I don’t have much choice, do I?” She followed the hooded pony, who led her to where Pinkie was waiting.

“What in the sam hill is goin’ on here?”Applejack asked.

“I don’t know, but my knee is pinchier than I think it’s ever been before.”

The two friends were led along the street toward town hall and instructed to wait. They obliged. Minutes passed. Two more hooded ponies joined the group.

“Where’s Fluttershy?” The lead pony asked them angrily.

“We, uh, ran into some trouble.”

“She wasn’t at her home?”

“She was, but when we approached her she did… Something. I don’t know what it was. She just sort of… Glared at us.”

“She glared at you…”

“Well it wasn’t a normal stare! It was like, like something out of a nightmare!” One of the ponies stammered. Applejack couldn’t help but chuckle. Fluttershy’s famous stare strikes again.

“Whatever, we have the earth ponies.” The lead pony lowered his hood, revealing a pitch black mane and coat. He turned to AJ and Pinkie.

“This will go much easier if you answer our questions with no trouble.” He stated in a warning tone. “I don’t have many questions, and once you’ve answered them, you’re free to go.”

Applejack grimaced. “Fine. What you need to know?”

“Where are the Elements of Harmony?”

Applejack gaped. “The Elements? What in Equestria do you want with ‘em?”

“Our lady Nightmare Moon has sent us to question you on their whereabouts. Now, answer the question.”

“No way!” Pinkie cried. AJ looked at her. “The princess wouldn’t want us to tell you where they were, so we’re not gonna.”

Pinkie said boldly, crossing her hooves across her chest.

“It would be easier for everyone if you cooperate.” The pony threatened, his eyes literally flashing.

“Now, wait just a minute, y’all. All this talk about Nightmare Moon and we ain’t seen horn nor wing of her.” Applejack said, emboldened by Pinkie’s determination. “I’m beginning to think you and Redstar were just blowin’ smoke.”

“Explain this then.” The pony motioned at a nearby Manticore. “These beasts joined the cause of reuniting Nightmare Moon with her throne. If we were lying, then explain why they listen to me.”

“Well, Fluttershy made friends with that one manticore when she fixed his foot…?” Pinkie suggested.

“Perhaps a different method is in order?” Everypony turned their gaze skyward. An enormous black pony with membranous wings swooped down toward them. He landed softly in front of AJ, his red eyes bearing down on her.

“R-Redstar…” Applejack said, her skin growing cold. Her gaze shifted to Redstar’s back, where a box was strapped. The box rocked back and forth and muffled cries could be heard from within. The black Pegasus gripped the box in his teeth and dropped it gruffly on the ground.

He tipped the lid off with his bandaged snout. Applebloom was inside, bound and gagged.

“Applebloom!” Applejack was allowed to help her sister out of the box and untie her. The filly was bedraggled and bruised.

“You monster! She’s just a filly!” Applejack shouted angrily.

Redstar sneered. “Perhaps now you can see how serious we are, and unless you want any harm to come to your grandmother and hospitalized brother, you’ll answer the questions you’re asked.”

Applejack stammered desperately, trying to think of something to say. Words failed her, however. She looked at the ground. “The elements are in Canterlot Castle, in the tower.”

Redstar sneered even more arrogantly.

“But you can’t get to ‘em. The princess said only she could open the door.”

“Oh, you just leave that to us. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a message to deliver. Be a good filly and answer my friends honestly won’t you?” Redstar put a snide enfaces on the word “honest.”

With that, the armored pony shot back into the sky and flew off in the direction of the Everfree Forest.

-

Fluttershy flew with all her might toward the library. An upstairs window was open and she flew inside, landing gently next to Spike, who was snoring loudly. She shook the baby dragon awake gently.

“Wha- huh? What is it Fluttershy?” Spike asked groggily.

“Oh, Spike, it’s just awful! More of those awful black ponies are in town, and they have Pinkie Pie and Applejack!” Fluttershy cried, loudly for her.

Spike jolted to life, frantically looking around for something. He found the scroll from earlier, its edges slightly charred. He took a deep breath and blew on the scroll, his green fire spiriting it away.

A few minutes passed, and the scroll didn’t return.

“Did it work?” Fluttershy asked.

“I don’t know. Maybe…” Spike rushed over to Twilight’s desk, found another scroll and scribbled down a quick note on it.

He blew this scroll away the same way he did the last.

“What was that one for?” Fluttershy asked, watching the puff of smoke disappear out the window.

“To tell the princess about the black ponies in town.” Spike explained, nervously gazing out the window.

“Oh, this is just awful…” Fluttershy said softly.

Spike said nothing for a long while. Neither scroll had earned any response, and he wasn’t sure they had even made it to the princess.

A mighty crack, like the sound of thunder, filled the night, snapping Spike’s attention toward town square.

-

Celestia was roused from her slumber by the familiar sound that marked a letter from Twilight Sparkle. She had been receiving Spike’s same letter to Twilight for almost two days now, so she assumed that this was the same one.

However, when she opened it, she found something else.

Dear Princess Celestia,
Ponyville needs help. I don’t know how much time I have, just know that there are more ponies like the one from my other letter, and they’re here! Please send help as soon as you can.

Your faithful servant,
Spike

Celestia read the letter one, twice and then a third time. Finally, she forced herself to wake up and made her way to the throne room. The guards constantly stationed throughout the halls straightened when they saw her.

Luna was sitting in her smaller throne, reading a book. She looked up when Celestia approached.

“What’s wrong, sister? You look upset.”

Celestia levitated her letter over to Luna, who read it without a word. When she was finished, she lowered her head and spoke quietly.

“What do we do?”

“One of us will have to go to Ponyville.” Celestia said grimly.

“Now? But what if she’s there?”

“That’s exactly why I need you to be the one to go. Alone. You know I can’t disguise myself like you can.”

Luna nodded then closed her eyes. A white light engulfed her and her form began to change. She shrank, her billowing mane dissipated, and her horn disappeared.

When the light faded, a normal looking Pegasus stood where Luna once had. Her coat had gone from midnight blue to pale brown, and her starry mane and tail had been replaced by normal black hair.

Her flank now matched the rest of her coat, and the white moon cutie mark that had once adorned it had turned black.

“What should I do if Nightmare Moon is there?” Luna asked, gazing up at her now much taller sister.

“Fly back here as quickly as possible. Hopefully we won’t have that problem.” Celestia said grimly.

Luna spread her wings and flew out of an open window, turning west toward the valley where Ponyville rested. She was flying much faster than most any Pegasus would be, but it was dark and she hoped nopony would notice.

As she approached the town she slowed, landing softly on a low flying cloud and pushing it gently toward the town. Once she was over town square, she dug her way into the cloud and peered out from the bottom.

A small group of various creatures could be seen near town square. Luna could see them perfectly in the dim moonlight.

Most of them were ponies, hidden under black capes and hoods. She could see Pinkie Pie and Applejack, as well as Applejack’s young sister. Strangest of all, a whole pack of Timber Wolves and several Manticore surrounded the group,
snarling menacingly.

A pony bigger than Luna stood near the center. The ponies talked for a moment before je pony flew away, his great dragon wings disturbing the air loudly. Luna watched him fly away toward the Everfree forest before turning her attention back to the other ponies. They spoke for a while longer before the black cloaked ponies departed, leaving the earth ponies looking relieved.

Luna extricated herself from her cloud and flew down to the ponies. They watched as she approached.

“Somethin’ I can help you with?” Applejack asked grumpily.

“It looked like those, uh, ponies were giving you trouble.” Luna said, only remembering to hide her voice halfway through her sentence.

Pinkie approached and gave her an intense look. “Hey, I know you, you’re-“

Luna covered Pinkie’s mouth with her hoof and shushed her. “I’m here to help. Spike sent us a letter and Celestia told me to come check things out.”

Luna freed Pinkie, who gave her another look. “You mean you’re not the pony from Rainbow Dash’s book? Huh, you look just like her!” Pinkie said cheerfully. Luna only gaped for a second, then shook her head.

“Princess Luna?” Applejack asked, staring.

“Yes, it’s me. Just what is going on down here?” Luna asked. She glanced at Applebloom, who looked like she had just lost a fight.

“Shoot, all it’s been lately is ponies talkin’ about Nightmare Moon. There anythin’ to all this?” Applejack said.
Pinkie gasped. Her tail was twitching rapidly. She, AJ and Applebloom all immediately looked skyward, and Luna followed suit.

At first, Luna saw nothing. Then, from the very cloud she had been hiding in earlier, a wisp of purple smoke floated. Stars sparkled within it. It approached them and then began to take shape.

Luna gasped. The smoke was familiar to her, but she prayed she was wrong. The smoke continued to take shape, slowly, almost mockingly. The distinct shape of a pony formed from it. A tall, lean pony with mighty wings and a long, sharp horn.

Applejack, Pinkie Pie and Applebloom backed away slowly, but Luna could do nothing but gaze in shocked silence at Nightmare Moon, a visage she had only seen in mirrors long before. The tall black alicorn flashed a wicked grin, her immaterial mane floating carelessly in the air.

“What’s the matter, princess?” Nightmare Moon whispered, lowering her head to be level with Luna’s own. “You didn’t honestly think you would never see me again?”

Luna uttered an angry cry and shifted back to her normal form. Her mane furiously whipped forward in long tendrils, as if you strangle her opponent. The taller pony snarled and did the same, the two smoky clouds entwining, becoming one. The two alicorns’ tails joined the fray, whipping skyward in a whirling maelstrom. Thin bolts of lightning danced in the tornado, cracking loudly.

Around the town shutters and doors flew open, the ponies curious as to what was causing the racket. Some pointed and cried out, while others simply watched in stunned silence at the battle taking place before them.

Applejack scooped Applebloom onto her back and ran. Pinkie followed, her terrified face very out of character.

The two alicorns were motionless except for their manes and tails. Luna’s face was determined, but a bead of sweat trickled down her cheek nonetheless and fell to the ground. Nightmare Moon was half snarling and half smirking.
Luna spread her wings wide and took a slow step forward, her eyes never blinking or leaving the eyes of her enemy.

Nightmare Moon followed suit, the distance between them closing slowly.

“Why do you fight? You know you cannot win.” Nightmare Moon sneered.

“Why… Are you… So powerful…? Luna struggled to say, her tongue dry in her mouth.

“Because I don’t have you within me, fighting me all along, you little foal!” Nightmare Moon snarled. The two ponies were now nearly pressed head to head, the storm of their manes and tails filling the sky.

Luna risked a glance sideways. A huge manticore was bearing down on Applejack and her friends, making no obvious moves to attack, but not allowing them to go far. Luna turned back to Nightmare Moon, her will slowly slipping.

“Let it go, Luna. Let it go and they will come to no harm…” Nightmare Moon hissed threateningly.

“How do I know that?” Luna asked.

“I have no more desire to see my subjects come to harm than you.”

Luna bit down on her lip so hard it bled. She closed her eyes and ended her struggle, the storm subsiding and the thunderous din no longer filling the air. She freed her mane from Nightmare Moon’s and let it fall back, Luna herself sliding down to her knees. Nightmare Moon laughed coldly.

“What will you do now?” Luna asked, looking at the ground.

“Now, you will be leaving. Celestia will soon follow you, but don’t worry too awfully much. I think a thousand years will be enough for you two to learn who is really in charge, hmm? Maybe someday you’ll be allowed to come back. Until then…” Nightmare Moon’s mane once again moved toward Luna, covering her body entirely. A black ray of magic shot from her horn, striking the night princess.

The black energy melded with Nightmare Moon’s starry mane, mixing together and covering Luna until nothing could be seen. A few seconds later, the magic faded and Nightmare Moon’s mane receded, once again beginning to list lazily in the air. Where Luna had been laying there was nothing. Not even a mark on the ground.

Nightmare Moon turned toward the ponies who watched from their homes in horror. She shouted, her magically magnified voice reminiscent of Luna’s own royal Canterlot voice.

“Look upon the moon, ponies, and see what you knew once before!” A tendril of her mane pointed skyward toward the moon. A series of craters once again graced its surface, forming the shape of a unicorn’s head. Cries of despair and outrage were heard from almost every pony present, but Nightmare Moon only cackled and spread her wings, morphing back into a cloud of starry smoke and vanishing.

-

Celestia watched as the moon changed. One moment it was a pale grey ball of light with dark spots at seemingly random intervals, the next, the familiar Mare in the Moon appeared. A chill ran through Celestia. Her billowing mane and tail seemed to go still and the rest of her body shook, the feathers on her wings bristling.

“No…”

“Princess Celestia!” A guard shouted. Celestia turned to look, only to see the guard thrown thirty feet across the room into two more, their golden armor clanging as they struck one another. A cloud of smoke was whirling in the middle of the room.

“L-Luna…?” Celestia asked quietly, already knowing the answer.

A vicious cackle emanated from the cloud and it instantly shifted to its true form. The horrible blue eyes that had haunted Celestia’s dreams for a thousand years stared into her very soul.

“Has anypony ever told you how predictable you are, Celestia? Or should I say sister? No, I guess that would no longer be correct, would it…” Nightmare Moon said, walking slowly toward the white pony.

“Nightmare Moon.” Celestia growled. Her eyes squinted with a cold anger the likes of which she had never felt before. It was mixed with a sense of fear, another emotion she had seldom experienced.

“Yes, it’s me. Did you miss me? Or did you only miss your sister? I have to say Celestia, that hurts me.” Nightmare Moon said, crossing a hoof across her chest sarcastically. “You know how poorly I deal with such pain.”

“So what now, are you going to return me to the sun? You were defeated once before, you will be stopped again.” The two alicorns began to circle one another slowly, a sort of grim dance.

“Ah, but there’s a flaw in your reasoning Celestia. Both times I was defeated in the past the Elements of Harmony were the cause of my dethroning. But what will happen when they are indisposed, hmm?”

“You’ll never get the elements.” Celestia growled, lowering her head and lighting her horn.

“Correction. I’ll never get the elements on my own.” Nightmare Moon said with a sneer. Her mane shot forward, wrapping itself in Celestia’s. Unlike with Luna, Celestia was powerless to manipulate her own mane and gasped in pain as Nightmare Moon jerked her forward by it.

“Now, let us take a stroll then.” Nightmare Moon chided, wrenching Celestia’s mane.

Several Pegasus guards flew toward them, but Celestia shouted at them to retreat.

“Princess…” One of them pleaded, glancing between his sovereign and her captor.

“Listen to your princess, foal. It will be easier for all of us.” Nightmare Moon said, beginning to walk and jerking Celestia’s mane once more.

“Where are you taking me…?” Celestia asked grimly, tears beginning to form in her eyes. She had learned from past experience that Nightmare Moon was more powerful than she was; at least now that she was no longer in tune with the Elements of Harmony. This knowledge, coupled with the pain from her mane being pulled, was enough to cause her to despair.

“Canterlot Tower. Your friend Applejack was kind enough to inform us of the location of the elements. She is quite the honest one, is she not?”

“You’re a monster.”

“I’m not the one who sentenced her sister to a thousand years on the moon.” Nightmare Moon remarked snidely.

“No, you’re the one who wants nothing more than to bring unhappiness to ponies. You’re no better than Discord. You might even be worse.”

Nightmare Moon tore at Celestia’s mane once more, causing her to cry out in pain. “Shut up you miserable foal! Those ponies should be punished for not appreciating the gifts I gave them!”

“You mean that Luna gave them…” Celestia whispered. “You’re nothing but a figment of Luna’s imagination. Were it not for my sister you wouldn’t even exist.”

“You’re quite the brave one, aren’t you?” Nightmare Moon snarled, continuing to lead Celestia down the stained glass hallway. They neared the end, the lavishly jeweled door to Canterlot Tower looming over them.

Nightmare Moon stopped and stared at the window depicting her defeat at the hands of Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. She grimaced angrily, wrapped a tendril of her mane around a nearby statue and pitched it through the window, shattering the colorful glass into a million pieces.

Celestia allowed herself a spiteful grin at Nightmare Moon’s pettiness, but was quickly jerked over toward the door.

“Open it.” Nightmare Moon demanded.

“Never.”

“OPEN IT!” Nightmare Moon screamed, pulling Celestia’s mane so hard she was lifted off the ground. Celestia screamed in agony.

“Alright, alright, please, just stop…” Celestia stammered through her tears. She had never in all her thousands of years felt pain so bad. How any creature could be as evil as Nightmare Moon eluded her. Even Discord was not truly evil, but
Nightmare Moon seemed to be nothing but hatred.

In a way, that was really all she was. A horrible projection of all of her sister’s jealousy and pain, somehow made whole again.

Celestia slid her horn into the hole in the middle of the door. Light filled the cracks in the door and it slid open, revealing the chest containing the six pieces of jewelry. Nightmare Moon gripped the box in her mane and opened it. She nodded with satisfaction then turned her gaze back to Celestia.

The black alicorn opened her mouth to say something, but was cut off by a powerful magical chime. She turned her attention back down the hall, as did Celestia. A bright light filled the hallway, forcing Nightmare Moon to hide her face behind her wing. When the light faded, she looked to its source.

Six ponies stood in the throne room, looking about frantically. She recognized three of them as Twilight Sparkle, Rarity and Rainbow Dash, but they were accompanied by three stallions she didn’t recognize. They caught sight of her and their faces fell.

Twilight Sparkle broke rank with the others as Nightmare Moon’s mane cloaked Celestia. The black magic poured from her horn, mixing with her mane and consuming the princess.

Celestia shouted to Twilight. “Don’t worry about me, my prized pupil! I know you’ll find a way to see me once more.”
Twilight was halfway down the hall now, her friends close behind.

“Don’t be so sure.” Nightmare Moon said grimly, finishing her spell. Her mane retreated and Celestia was gone, leaving nothing behind.

“NO!!” Twilight screamed. She collapsed to the ground where her mentor had once been, paying no heed to Nightmare Moon, but burying her face in her crossed forelegs and sobbing.

The other ponies were fixated on Nightmare Moon, who looked to them with an unreadable expression.

“Nightmare… Moon…” The dark blue unicorn in the hood muttered quietly, his eyes wide behind red glasses that did not suit him at all. She almost thought he was one of hers, but his coat was the wrong color.

“Oh no…” Rainbow Dash said, dropping from the air, a look of defeat on her face. She was staring at the box containing the elements.

“Oh, yes, my beloved subject.” Nightmare Moon said softly. “Celestia and Luna are now imprisoned in the sun and moon, and I shall assume my proper role as queen of Equestria. Never again will you see the sun, so you had better get used to the Mare in the Moon again.”

Rainbow Dash’s face grew angry. She looked as if she might fling herself at Nightmare Moon, but instead turned to the hooded stallion.

“This is all your fault!” She shouted, her voice cracking. “If it weren’t for you and your stupid prediction we would have been here to help!”

The cloaked pony stammered for a second. “I didn’t- how could I have known?!” He cried, desperation obvious in his voice.

The grey Pegasus with the comet cutie mark who had been silent turned on him now. “She’s right…” He muttered. His face too grew angry. “You’re the one who made Princess Celestia send us out there!”

Nightmare Moon watched the scene unfold before her with a sort of spiteful pleasure. The cloaked pony must have been Hood, the psychic.

The grey Pegasus continued to scream. “How do we even know you didn’t know this was gonna happen?! How do we know you weren’t helping her?!”

“Solar Flare, what are you talking about?! You know me, you know-“

Solar Flare shoved him away roughly. A hurt look crossed Hood’s face.

“Get out of here! I never want to see you again!” He screamed, tears beginning to stream from his eyes.

“But Flare… You’re my best friend…”

“I thought so too…” Solar Flare said, his voice now strangely calm.

Hood looked at the others for support, but they said nothing. Even Twilight simply continued to cry quietly into the floor.
Hood bit his lip, turned around and ran. After he had dashed a few yards he blinked away, vanishing in a small flash of light.

“Well, now that that’s done with, I think you should all be returning to your homes, hmm?” Nightmare Moon chuckled. Her horn lit up and all the ponies before her vanished the same way Hood had.

Redstar flew in through the shattered window. His snout was no longer bandaged, and he had a mad grin on his face.

“It’s done?”

“It’s done.” Nightmare Moon said, relief for the first time in her voice.

“The night shall last forever…” Redstar said with a maniacal laugh.

“Yes, Redstar. The night is everything now. And we rule the night…”