• Published 30th Jan 2012
  • 1,270 Views, 2 Comments

We Rule the Night - Solar Flare



Nightmare Moon's possible return poses a threat to Equestria.

  • ...
5
 2
 1,270

Chapter 3, The Journey Begins

Chapter 3: The Journey Begins


Hood’s carriage touched down gracefully near the fountain. A few ponies gathered around, hoping to get a view of the princesses, but dispersed with disappointed grumbles when Hood stepped off instead. All but one, a pale green stallion, who approached Hood with a skeptical look on his face.

“Now, what in the hay are you doing?” Elderberry asked.

“The princesses needed my help. Where’s Solar Flare?” Hood said, lowering his hood back and shaking out his mane.

“Beats me. Probably asleep already. Lazy foal.” Elderberry chastised, looking in circles despite himself.

“I’m right here!” The two friends looked up in time to see a grey, blue and red blur miss them by inches and go careening into the fountain, splashing water all over two very displeased looking guards. Solar Flare shook himself dry and flitted over.

“What’cha need?” He asked, floating just over Hood.

“I needed to talk to you two. The princesses need our help with something.”

Elderberry looked skeptical again. “The princesses? Now, what in Equestria could they need us for?”

Hood explained the situation, Solar Flare making use of any opportunity to interrupt. By the time they were done, the moon was high in the sky, light from Hood’s horn supplying something for the other two to see by.

“So, that’s pretty much it then.” Hood said with finality, looking from one of his friends to the other. Solar Flare looked excited beyond words, while Elderberry seemed doubtful. “Of course, you don’t have to come if you don’t want. But we could really use your help.”

“So you guys really think that Nightmare Moon is coming back?” Elderberry asked, scratching his stubbled chin.

“We can’t let that happen! I mean, I know you like it dark,” Solar spouted, tapping Hoods horn from above, “But none of the rest of us do!” He did a loop in the air, his blood pumping.

Hood shrugged. “That’s what Celestia seems to think. So, you guys in or not?”

Solar Flare did another loop. “I am! This is gonna be awesome!”

Elderberry gripped Solars tail with his mouth, playfully pulling him to the ground. “Tell you what, Hood. You let me get some stuff from my house, then we’ll head out to Canterlot with ya’. And this best not be some waste o’ my time.” Hood smiled. Elderberry was a bit older than him, and a little gruff at times, but his heart was in the right place.

Hood explained the situation to the two armored pegasi, who snorted with displeasure at the concept of waiting around even longer. However, they dutifully stood in place as Hood, Elderberry and Solar Flare trotted off in the direction of the farm.

As they walked, they discussed the foreseeable future.

“So Hood, who else did you say was coming?” Solar asked.

“The librarian, Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, who I think you already know, and the local dressmaker, Rarity.” Hood explained.

“Rainbow’s coming?” Solar asked, suddenly excited.

“Yeah, three of the ponies who use the Elements of Harmony are coming. The rest had too much going on, that’s why I said we would help.”

“Psh, thanks fer offering up my help, ya’ dang foal.” Elderberry chuckled, giving Hood a playful shove.

“Well, I’ve got no problem with it.” Solar Flare declared proudly.

“That’s just ‘cause you got a crush on that little filly, Rainbow.”

“I do not!”

Hood and Elderberry laughed as they reached the farm. Elder’s unicorn wife, Boysenberry, stood on the porch, tapping a hoof impatiently.

“And just where have you been?” She scolded. “I’m not reheating your dinner for you.”

“Hon, we gotta talk.” Elder said, pecking Boysen on the cheek.

“What about? Did he get you in trouble again?” She demanded, waving a wooden spoon at Solar Flare with her magic.

“Hey, that only happened once!” Solar said, sounding insulted.

“Twice.” She responded, tapping him lightly on the noggin with her spoon.

“Nah, we ain’t in no trouble. Hood here needs my help with something mighty big.”

“Well, alright, let’s talk about it over dinner. I made enough for all of you, I suppose.” The three friends followed Boysenberry into the modified tree that was their home and sat down on some stools around the table. Only then did Hood realize just how famished he was. He hadn’t eaten in over a day.

Boysenberry scooped them some bowls of thick vegetable soup. Hood emptied his bowl quickly before explaining why he needed Elderberry’s help, leaving out a few select details. He figured Elderberry would explain further if he found it necessary.

“Oh, wow…” Boysenberry said as she scrubbed at some dishes half-mindedly. “That seems pretty dangerous.”

Solar Flare jumped up into the air. “Don’t worry, he’ll be with me.” He said, crossing a hoof over his chest smugly.

Hood pulled him back down with magic. “The last thing we need is you scaring her into making him stay.”

“Well, it ain’t my place to say what you can and can’t do, sugarcube.” Boysenberry said to Elderberry with a shrug. “If your friend really needs your help, then you should help him.”

“I knew you’d understand. I’ll need to gather some things, food, stuff like that, but the Princesses need us up in Canterlot tonight.”

“I’ll pack some bags for you, wake up the young en’s and say good bye to them.”

Elderberry thanked her and walked over to a side room, nudging the door open. He called inside softly and his two kids, a unicorn colt and an earth pony filly walked out, yawning and rubbing their eyes. Hood lowered his head and smiled. He had never met Elderberry’s foals before, even though he talked about them all the time.

The two spotted Solar Flare, however, and looks of joy crossed their faces. They tackled the Pegasus, simultaneously crying out “Uncle Flare!”

Solar Flare laughed, giving the colt a noogy with his hoof. “Hey squirts, miss me?”

Elderberry patted them both on the head. “Hood, these are the foals, Blackberry and Raspberry.”

The colt, Blackberry, who looked a few years older shook hooves with Hood. His mane and tail were a dark purple, giving away his namesake. The red-maned filly shied a little and his behind Elderberry.

“It’s nice to finally meet you both, I’ve heard all about you from your dad.” Hood said with a smile.

Boysenberry placed a saddlebag full of supplies on the table.

“Hey, come here you two.” Elderberry said to his foals. They sat down beside him. “I’m gonna be leaving for a little while, alright?”

“Where are going, daddy?” Raspberry asked, still rubbing her eyes a little.

“Me and your uncles Flare and Hood have to go talk to some friends of mine pretty far off. I should be back before too awful long, now I need you two to be good for yer momma, and don’t be shruggin’ off your chores, you hear?”

“Yes, daddy.” The two said simultaneously.

“Good, now, tell your uncles goodbye and get back to bed now.” Blackberry and Raspberry said their goodbyes to Hood and Solar Flare and went back to their room, yawning widely.

Boysenberry dropped another couple of bags on the table. “I put some dried stuff in these bags and this one has some other stuff you might need in it.” She said.

“Thanks, hon.” Elderberry said, scooping one of the bags on his back. Solar and Hood picked one up each as well, Hood expertly placing his comfortably under his cape.

“We’d best be goin’. Hood’s still gotta make a stop at his place before we head up to Canterlot.”

“Alright. But listen to me.” Boysenberry demanded softly. “You. Be. Careful. The last thing I wanna have to tell the foals is that their daddy ain’t coming home.”

“Now, don’t you fret. There ain’t nothing to worry about.” Elderberry assured her, wrapping a foreleg around her neck. “I’ll be back in a week or two and all’ll be just fine.”

“You’d better.”

The two kissed each other goodbye. The three stallions walked out of the house in the direction of Ponyville.

“You have quite the family there, E.B.” Hood said.

Elderberry smiled sadly. “Yeah, I do.”

Solar Flare nudged Hood and whispered into his ear. “The filly’s sick. Redheart says she probably won’t make it to next Winter Wrap Up.”

Hood’s eyes widened and a chill ran through him. That happy little filly? Hood could only imagine how much Elderberry must be hurting, and leaving them alone must be the last thing he would ever want to do. Elderberry was quite the pony.

The three friends walked in silence along the streets, passing a few ponies on their way toward Hood’s home. They reached the house, Hood opening the door and lighting a few candles with magic. His friends lied down white he trotted about the house, tucking a few necessities into his saddlebag. He packed some books and a single small crystal ball. Last, he tucked away a small notebook. He would try to find time to chronicle his journey and what he saw in the old lands for later reference.

When he was done, the three of them returned to the carriage to find the two Pegasus guards still waiting stoically. Elderberry and Hood climbed into the cart and the pegasi took off, Solar Flare flying alongside them.

-

“Hmph. I can’t believe the others flaked on us.” Rainbow complained as Twilight shuffled through some maps in Celestia’s study.

“They didn’t flake on us, they just had too much going on. Just because you spend half the day napping doesn’t mean everyone does.” Twilight said, neatly assembling some maps and scrolls in a saddlebag.

“Besides, Twilight’s friend Hood is coming, and he said he would try to get his friends to help as well. It should be no problem at all.” Rarity said, fussily organizing some accessories in her own bag.

Rainbow chuckled. “If you guys knew Solar Flare, you wouldn’t be so confident. I end up doing half his work most days.”

Twilight looked skeptical.

“Are we almost done? You two have been looking at maps for an hour.” Rainbow complained, flying upside down next to Twilight’s head.

Twilight snapped her bag shut. “Done.”

Rarity levitated her bag over and placed it next to Twilight’s. “Now we just have to wait for the others.”

Twilight yawned. Despite the excitement, she was tired. She had sent a letter to Spike, who had written back in sloppy handwriting wishing her luck.

“Twilight.” Celestia greeted them as she walked into the study.

“All done, princess. We’re ready to leave at any time.”

“You should probably get some rest first. You can’t very well travel in the middle of the night either way.” Celestia said with a slight laugh.

“Sounds good to me.” Rainbow said through an enormous yawn.

“Come, I’ll show you to a quest room where you can get some sleep.” The three mares followed Celestia, leaving their bags behind. Halfway through the throne room, they spotted Hood and two other stallions, a grey Pegasus and a green earth pony.

The two parties stopped when they met each other. “Hi, Hood. These must be your friends?” Twilight asked, motioning towards Hood’s companions.

Twilight shook hooves with the Pegasus, Solar Flare and the earth pony, Elderberry. The two groups became acquainted briefly before retreating to their individual guest rooms, the mares in one room, the stallions in the other.

Twilight’s room had three enormous beds, much bigger than any of them would have needed. Each settled into their own beds, Rarity daintily sliding into hers without ruffling the blankets while Rainbow simply dropped into hers out of the air.

“Hey, Twilight. Don’t you think it’s a little weird, I mean, you haven’t seen Hood in how long? Like, ten years? And now all of a sudden we’re going on some big adventure with him?” Rainbow remarked.

Twilight thought about it for a moment. “Just a coincidence I suppose.”

“And you know his friend Solar Flare, don’t you Rainbow Dash? I’ve seen Elderberry and him around Ponyville before, although I’ve never actually spoken to them.” Rarity said.

Rainbow nodded. “He’s on the Ponyville weather team. He isn’t from Cloudesdale like me and Fluttershy though.”

“I’m sure we’ll have plenty of time to get acquainted tomorrow. For now, let’s try to get some rest.” Twilight said, settling into her bed. The others agreed and nestled in for the night.

-

Hood tossed and turned in the gigantic bed in his guest room. Elderberry and Solar Flare had both fallen asleep with no trouble, but Hood had been asleep most of the previous day. Annoyed, he climbed down off the bed and wandered out onto the balcony.

He took a deep breath of the cool night air and gazed at the moon. He was used to the newer face of the moon, barren of the unicorn-shaped cluster of craters that formed the mare in the moon.

The soft sound of beating wings drew his attention. He looked up to see Princess Luna float down and stand beside him, not saying anything, but also gazing at the moon, her face unreadable.

The two were silent for a long time before Hood spoke.

“What was it like?”

He didn’t need to explain himself; Luna knew what he wanted to know.

“Cold. It’s not like I just stood on the surface of the moon for a thousand years, it was more like… It was more like I became the moon, in a sense. That’s why the mare in the moon appeared. It’s not really unpleasant, just… Just…”

“Lonely?”

“Exactly.”

The two once more stood quietly next to one another for while, soaking up the night air.

This time, it was Luna who spoke. “I could see all of my little ponies. Of course, most of them were asleep when I was over them, but I could see them. It was awful, seeing everypony I knew when I was here grow old and expire while I was unable to say goodbye to them. During my brief flashes of consciousness around my nightmarish façade I would call out to Celestia. She would come and visit with me for a while, but she always had to leave.”

Hood was silent.

Luna turned to look at him, her expression a mixture of happy and sad. “I would watch you sometimes. Even as a colt, you always liked the night time.”

Hood shrugged. “It was lonely for me sometimes too. Not many ponies to talk to, but I always had the moon as company.”

“We have a lot in common, Hood. More than I do with most ponies.” Hood looked to see a tear rolling down the alicorns face.

“What’s wrong?”

Luna brushed the tear away with her wing. “N-nothing, Hood. It’s just nice to have someone to talk to.”

“I’ll always be there if you ever need someone.” Hood said. The two lay down side by side on the balcony and talked, Luna doing most of the actual talking. Hood mostly just listened, content to hear Luna’s seemingly endless stories.

Eventually, the sun began to peak over the eastern horizon.

Luna looked at the sun with disappointment. “Well, I suppose you’ll probably be returning to your friends now?”

Hood glanced back into the room, where his friends were beginning to stir in their beds.

“Yeah, I suppose so. And princess?”

“Yes, Hood?”

“I’m glad we had a chance to talk.”

Luna smiled. “I am too Hood. I hope we’ll be able to share many nights in the future.” With that, Luna spread her wings and flew off in the direction of the throne room.

Hood stood up and stretched himself before trotting back into the guest room. Solar Flare had pulled his blanket over himself, but Elderberry was forcing himself awake, sliding out of the bed and shaking himself.

“Come on, get up now.” Hood said, jerking Solar’s blanket off.

“Eh, five more… eeh… Hours…” Solar Flare complained, covering his face with his wing.

Elderberry walked up, rubbing his eye with his hoof. “Ugh, come on, I have to get up, so do you.” He grabbed Solar Flare’s tail with his mouth and pulled him off the bed.

“Hey, come on, I’m sleeping here.”

“Come on, we’ve got a big day ahead.” Hood said, tying on his cape.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m up.” Solar Flare groaned, flattening an unruly lock of his mane with his hoof.

A knock sounded at the door.

“Come on in.” Elderberry called.

An eggshell-white unicorn opened the door and laid a tray of breakfast foods on the desk. “The princess asked these to be delivered to you, and she also asked that you meet her in the throne room when you’re finished.”

Hood thanked the pony and picked up a piece of toast. He munched on it while he waited for Solar Flare to finish waking up. Elderberry sipped some orange juice groggily.

When they had cleaned off the tray, the three strapped on their saddlebags, left their room and made for the throne room. There, they found Twilight and her friends talking to the princesses, saddlebags on their backs.

Rainbow Dash flipped over in the air as they approached.

“About time, we’ve been waiting here forever.”

“Rainbow, it’s been about five minutes…” Twilight said, rolling her eyes.

“Twilight Sparkle, and you too Hood, my faithful students.” Celestia started, beginning a seemingly prepared speech.

“I’m very proud that you would choose to take on this responsibility. I know you all have your own things going on, and it means a great deal that you would take this time to help me and Equestria.”

“We’re glad to help princess.” Twilight said proudly.

“I know you are. That’s why I have a very special gift for you and Hood. Luna?”

Luna nodded. “Hood, cross your horn with mine.” Hood sheepishly did as he was asked, Twilight doing the same with Celestia. A powerful magic poured into him, freezing him in place. In a few moments it was over, and Hood could move again.

It seemed as if every fiber of his being had been infused with powerful magic. He could feel it flowing through him; a pleasant warmth. Eventually, the sensation faded.

“What was that?” Elderberry asked.

“My sister and I granted some of our own magic to you.” Celestia explained, directed at Twilight. “Without the Elements of Harmony, this extra strength may prove useful if you run into trouble.”

Hood and Twilight bowed low. “Thank you, princess.” They said simultaneously.

Celestia and Luna accompanied the six ponies out of the throne room, through the courtyard, the trophy gardens and finally back out onto the road leading south across the mountains.

“Once you pass through the mountains here we won’t be able to help you any further. It should take a few days worth of walking to reach the old lands, but I can’t make any promises about finding help there. You may be on your own.” Celestia explained, stopping and pointing a hoof toward the mountains.

“We’ll be just fine, you can count on us!” Rainbow Dash declared, flying high into the air.

“I know I can.” Celestia said, beaming.

“We’d best be goin’ if we plan on getting there anytime soon.” Elderberry said.

The ponies all said goodbye to the princesses and turned to leave. Hood felt a hoof on his shoulder as he started walking. He turned to see princess Luna looking at him with blurry eyes.

“Come back safe, okay?”

Hood nodded. “I promise.”

Celestia and Luna spread their wings wide and took off back toward the castle while the six smaller ponies trotted off down the dirt road.

They walked (and flew) for a few hours before settling down on some soft grass for lunch. They talked about what they would do once they reached the old lands as they ate.

“As far as I know there are still ponies that live there, but I don’t know how well they’re all fairing. From what I’ve read, the blizzard caused by their feud never really stopped, just slowed down. The tribes shouldn’t be at open war anymore, but I imagine they still don’t get along too well.” Twilight explained.

“Well, it’s a good thing I packed warm.” Rarity exclaimed, wrapping a shimmery scarf around her neck.

“And to think, we’re some of the first ponies to ever actually go back there.” Solar Flare said through a mouthful of apple, drawing a disdainful look from Rarity.

“There’s never really been much reason to. Ponies in Equestria are a lot better off, I’d bet that only devout followers of the older ways still live there.” Hood said.

“That might be a bit of a problem.” Elderberry said, scratching his chin. “I mean, if them ponies livin’ there don’t want other kinds o’ ponies around, we might have to split up to talk to ‘em.”

“Oh, you’re right. What an awful thing to fight about…” Twilight said with a thoughtful look. “Three of us are unicorns, Rainbow and Solar Flare are pegasi, but you’re the only earth pony. You think you would be okay on your own?”

Elderberry waved a hoof. “Bah, it wouldn’t be no trouble. I been in a few scrapes in my time.”

“Well, if you’re really sure. And what about you two?”

Rainbow and Solar exchanged looks. “We’ll be fine. I did play Commander Hurricane in that play in Canterlot.” Rainbow said confidently. Solar Flare agreed.

“We should probably be on our way. We still have quite a long way to go.” Rarity said, picking her saddlebag back up off the ground and carefully dusting it off.

The others readied their own saddlebags as well, continuing on southward. The purple mountains loomed over them, some of the walls encrusted with sparking gems. Rarity made sure to remember this location so she and Spike could come back.

-

Twilight’s hooves were a little sore from walking all day, but she was otherwise just fine. She glanced over at Hood, who had been silent most of the time they had been walking.

He was doing his best to hide it under his hood, but Twilight could see his eyes beginning to droop. Of course, how could she have forgotten? Hood wasn’t used to staying up during the day. He must have been exhausted.

“Hey, are you all right?” She asked quietly, tapping him on the shoulder. He jumped a little.

“Er, yeah, I’m fine. Why?”

“You just look a little tired.”

“Nah, I’m good. Just a... you know, little headache.”

Twilight tried to write it off, but Hood did look pretty miserable.

“Hey, everypony, why don’t we rest here for the night. I’m feeling a little tired.” Twilight suggested.

“Tired? It’s only like five.” Rainbow Dash complained.

Elderberry looked at her for a moment and then looked at Hood. “Ya know, that sounds like a fine idea. I’ll get a fire goin’.” He trotted off in the direction of some nearby trees, picking up likely looking sticks and kindling as he went.

Twilight, Rarity and Hood busied themselves setting up a small camp while Rainbow Dash and Solar Flare worked on supplying some fog cover. They didn’t want any Ursas or Dragons spotting them. Elderberry returned, a bundle of sticks in his mouth. He expertly started a fire and the six ponies gathered around it.

They roasted a few marshmallows that Boysenberry had had the foresight to pack and talked, more about just small talk than anything about the journey still ahead.

Elderberry was telling the three mares about his foals. They seemed to be the only thing on his mind, or at least the only thing he found worthy to bother talking about.

Hood remained silent through the story telling, assuming his usual position of listener. Twilight poked him with her snout.

“So, do you have anything interesting to talk about?”

He shrugged. “Not really. I work as a delivery pony for some of the stores in town, moving supplies from farms and things, not much to tell stories about.”

“I know, why don’t you tell us a bit more about that magic you can do, what was it?” Rarity asked.

“Foresight.” Hood explained. “Well, I usually just see things in my dreams, then they eventually happen. I can never really tell what’s just a dream and what’s a vision.”

“So how was it that you foresaw Nightmare Moon returning?” Rainbow Dash asked.

Hood shrugged. “To be honest, that was mostly conjecture. Luna helped me use my powers to see a designated point in the future. The moon had the pattern of the mare in the moon on it.”

“But if that’s so, then wouldn’t that mean that Celestia and Luna had defeated her already?” Solar Flare asked.

“Maybe so, but we figured it would be better to try to stop it from happening at all, rather than allowing things to come to pass and let somepony get hurt.”

“That makes sense.” Twilight commented.

“And that’s why we’re on this trip. Celestia had heard something about cultist activity in the old lands and asked for my help in seeing if they would be a danger.”

“Wait a sec.” Elderberry interrupted. “If this is happening in the old lands, then who told the Princess about it?”

All of them exchanged glances.

“I… Don’t rightly know.” Hood said, scratching the back of his head.

“That is a good question. We’ll have to ask her when we get back.” Twilight said.

Hood yawned widely, dark circles forming under his purple eyes.

“We should try to get some sleep. We still have a long way to go, and we should get an early start.” Twilight said.

The other agreed, settling down in their own spots. Rarity had produced a blanket from somewhere, laying on that instead of the grass. Solar Flare and Rainbow Dash weren’t nearly tired enough to sleep so they stayed up and talked.

Hood had settled down, laying his head on his front hooves. Twilight lay down beside him, resting her head on his shoulder. He blushed a bit, but Twilight ignored it. They drifted off to sleep like that.

-

Back in Canterlot Castle, a darkly cloaked pony crept out of the castle in the dark. She spread her wings and flew off in the direction of the Everfree Forest.

She flew silently above the trees before dropping down and landing near a crumbling stone ruin. She walked closer, greeting another pony, also dressed in a black cape, a horn poking out from beneath his hood.

“Is everything going according to plan?” The unicorn stallion asked.

“Well, for the most part, yes.” The Pegasus replied quietly.

“’The most part’? What is that supposed to mean?”

“Well, three of the Ponies who wield the Elements of Harmony have begun traveling to the old lands, but three remain in Ponyville.”

“What of Twilight Sparkle?”

“She is among the ones who left.”

“Then we have nothing to worry about. Come, the preparations are beginning.” Together, the two walked inside he ruin, where dozens of other ponies, all dressed in the same black garments stood gathered around an enormous stone plinth. Five branches forked off of the plinth, each ending in an empty stone bowl.

At the bottom of this strange adornment, another bowl rested this one full of light blue shreds of what looked like fabric. Beside this bowl stood a thick bodied earth pony, his face concealed by a hood. As his companions approached, he lowered his hood, revealing a bright red coat and dark brown mane.

“So, then, are we ready to begin?” This pony asked.

“Yes, Twilight Sparkle has gone off toward the old lands. She won’t be able to interrupt our ritual.” The unicorn said, lowering his own hood. His Pegasus companion did the same. They formed a circle around the bowl of cloth.

The unicorn lowered his head near the bowl and lit his horn. This magic was different than usual. It didn’t glow a vibrant blue or red as usual, but instead was a solid black, flowing like water from his horn and into the bowl. The blue scraps of cloth were engulfed in the inky blackness.

As the unicorn worked, the earth pony turned to face the crowd of hooded ponies.

“This is indeed a glorious night, friends. I, your wise leader, the pony who walks in glorious night, he who has heard the words of mistress Nightmare Moon have set in motion a chain of events like none before.

On this night, the true goddess of the night shall make her return, to oust the weak pretender Luna, and the naïve sun-lover Celestia.” The last sentence he said with remarkable distaste, as if speaking the names of the princesses caused him physical pain. The ponies before him shared the sentiment, shuffling with displeasure at the mention of their names.

“Soon, Nightmare Moon will return for a third and final time. And we, the faithful followers of the one true princess of Equestria, nay… The one true sovereign of all the world, we shall be rewarded for our diligent work. It was our blood, sweat and tears that made this night possible. You, the unicorns who weaved the magic thick in this place. You, the pegasi who braved the treacherous skies of the Everfree Forest to hide us from the sun-tyrant. All of you who left behind friends and relatives still loyal to that damned ball of light in the sky!”

The crowd of cloaked ponies cheered. Behind the earth pony preacher, the unicorn was still hard at work, pouring a seemingly endless amount of the black magic into the shreds. The Pegasus stood watching with dumbstruck interest.

“And have no fear, my friends, for the Elements of Harmony are no threat to our mistress! Twilight Sparkle,” The pony seemed to spit the name, “has gone trotting off on a foal’s errand, seeking us miles from where we truly are. You should all be proud of your actions, for it was you who made our deception possible. Were it not for your work over these past two years, we would never have avoided detection for as long as we had! The sun Tyrant would have discovered us and stopped the coming of the true queen!”

The unicorn shouted in pain, the last of his magic flowing into the bowl of cloth. Once a light blue, the bits of cloth had turned black as pitch. Spare particles of magic floated around the bowl as the unicorn collapsed.

A mighty noise like that of a tornado ripped through the room, causing some ponies to duck and cover their heads. Ribbons of pure darkness were pulled from the air, flying into the bowl and fusing with the cloth. The unicorn struggled to his hooves, gazing in wonder, his expression matched by the Pegasus.

“Behold my friends! The one! True! QUEEN!” The earth pony shouted over the din, a maddened grin on his face.

Time seemed to stand still for a moment. All the remaining strips of magic had been pulled from the air. All was completely motionless for a time, the mad look of the priest of night never shifting.

A sound even greater than the one before seemed to tear the world apart. The unicorn and Pegasus at the altar were blown backward, the unicorn almost out the door, the Pegasus against a wall. Somehow, the thick earth pony managed to stay in place, laughing hysterically, although he could not even hear himself over the clamor. The dark cloth in the bowl rose into the air, spinning round and round before coming together.

Before the ponies’ very eyes, an inky cloud of black formed in the air, spreading slowly and unevenly. It looked as if somepony had spilled ink in water, but it floated in the air. As the ponies watched, the cloud darted at the Pegasus that had been thrown across the room. She uttered a strangled cry as it filled her nose and mouth, disappearing inside her body. Her entire body turned black, growing to a much greater size, her mane and tail retreating and a long, sharp horn sprouting from her head.

A wispy cloud of midnight blue mist grew from both her neck and flank. Slowly, what was once pure black filled with some color. Dark purple coated a space on her flank and in the center a turquoise crescent moon appeared. A turquoise collar appeared around her neck, the same crescent moon in the center. A helmet made from the same material appeared on her head, around her horn and down her neck.

She opened her eyes, terrible, turquoise, dragon-like eyes. She lifted herself proudly to her hooves, standing tall before her new subjects.

She turned to look at the unicorn, who limped weakly through the crowd, panting and sweating, but with a satisfied look on his face. He muttered two words, “My… Lady…” before collapsing, breathing weakly.

“So, you’re the one who aided in my return?” She asked the half-dead unicorn, who tried to respond but was unable.

“You’ve been very helpful, my little pony. And for that, you shall receive a fine reward.” A thin bolt of blue lightning flew from her starry mane, striking the unicorn. He did not struggle, nor cry out. He simply sighed and went limp.

“An end to your suffering.” The large, dark alicorn said, her voice dripping with feigned sympathy.

“My lady, Queen Nightmare Moon!” The earth pony cried out, dropping to the ground and kissing the hooves of this new pony. “We have waited so long for you to return to us. We have worked so hard to make this day a reality. And now you are here, here to take your rightful place as queen on this world!”

Nightmare Moon looked down at him and across the crowd. Memories washed into her mind. Memories of a stolen body, memories of plots, of anger and pain, memories of how she had planned to steal the sun away from the ponies of Equestria, to fill their lives with eternal night.

Now, she could finally do it. She no longer felt Luna’s powerful presence within her, fighting to stop her. Instead, she could feel the meager existence of the Pegasus she had just combined with, silently accepting her new role as home to Nightmare Moon.

“You.” She said, tapping the earth pony priest with her hoof. “What is your name?”

“Your highness, I am Redstar. It was I who began the process of your revi-“

“I asked for your name, not your life story.” Nightmare Moon interrupted rudely. Redstar looked to her with confusion.

“Redstar. You and your companions have been instrumental in my return. As such, I will grant you a gift.” Her mane rose, spreading out across all the ponies present. Strands fell down and touched each one of them. A remarkable feeling filled them. They turned to look at one another.

Their coats had all been stained black. Some pulled off their hoods and capes to find their cutie marks covered by the dark dye that had stained them.

Then they all turned to look at Redstar. He, like them, had been stained black. His cape was replaced with armor the same color as Nightmare Moon’s and enormous, dragon-like wings graced his back. He was even bigger than before, although not as big as Nightmare Moon.

Unlike the rest of them, his cutie mark was still visible. A vibrant star, red against his black coat. He turned to look at them, his eyes glowing red.

“Our mistress has RETURNED!” He shouted, his voice as mighty as ten ponies.

The crowd cheered, their voices altered to a shrill cry, like that of a bat.

Nightmare Moon looked at her children with grim pride. This time, nothing would stop her reign.

-

Elderberry and Rarity were still awake, though their friends had long since fallen asleep. Twilight lay with her head against Hood, while Solar Flare and Rainbow Dash slept side by side, their wings draped over one another.

“Isn’t that just the sweetest thing?” Rarity cooed mockingly, nudging Elderberry in the side.

“Adorable.” He replied with a sad smile.

“Something bothering you, darling?”

“It’s my foals. I hate to leave them alone with their mama like this.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t worry too much. Foals grow up fast, but not that fast.”

Elderberry huffed and wiped his eye.

Rarity looked at him with concerned confusion. “Did… I say something wrong?”

Elderberry shook his head, but was unable to hold back the flow of tears any longer. He lowered his head and sobbed quietly. Rarity put one of her forelegs around him, which was difficult, as he was almost as big as Applejack’s brother Macintosh.

“Sshh, now, now it’s alright. What’s wrong?”

“It… It’s my filly, Raspberry. She’s real sick you see… N-Nurse Redheart says she ain’t gonna make it much longer.”

Rarity felt a tug on her heartstrings. “Oh, dear, I’m so sorry.” She said in her most comforting voice. It did little good, and Elderberry continued to cry quietly for a long time.