• Published 30th Jan 2012
  • 1,270 Views, 2 Comments

We Rule the Night - Solar Flare



Nightmare Moon's possible return poses a threat to Equestria.

  • ...
5
 2
 1,270

Chapter 1, Stranger in Ponyville

We Rule the Night
Chapter 1, Stranger in Ponyville

It was well past midnight, and Ponyville had gone quiet as everypony in town had gone to bed. Everypony but one.

Hood walked slowly down the main street near the Library, his trademark hooded cape pulled over his head, his horn peeking out from underneath. He watched silently as a horned owl swooped into an open window of the library before continuing on his way.

Hood wasn’t surprised that he was the only one about. Most ponies preferred the daytime, and indeed, none of the shops were open. Hood had always preferred the night, even before Princess Luna had returned. The stars and the moon were beautiful to him, and the sun had always hurt his eyes.

Hood was hauling a cart behind him. He was going slowly so that the wooden wheels wouldn’t make too much noise and hinder anypony’s sleep. The cart was loaded down with all sorts of fruits and vegetables from the farms outside Ponyville. He silently hauled the cart to Berry Punch’s Grocery Store, dropped it off in the back and left without a word.

He trekked back through town, passing Carousel Boutique, where one light remained on, and three fillies could be seen through the window, energetically doing Celestia-knows-what. He turned a corner into an alley and headed towards the park, his deliveries for the night done. He found his favorite spot on a bench near the fountain, laid down on it and lowered his hood, revealing his dark blue coat and black mane.

Hood’s horn lit up faintly and an apple and a book levitated out from beneath his cloak. For most ponies, reading with the light of the quarter moon would have been impossible, but Hood could see just fine. He silently munched on his apple and read for a few hours. He looked to the sky, seeing the stars begin to disappear and the midnight blue turn to grey. He huffed a little at being interrupted, but tucked his book away and started off towards home.

-

Berry Punch yawned as she opened the back door to her shop. A cart loaded high with produce waited for her, a piece of paper tacked to it. The paper had a small blue eye drawn on it. Hood had made his delivery, faithful as always. Berry Punch smiled and pulled the cart inside. She would deliver Hood’s bits to his house later.

-

Hood heard a knock at his door around seven o’clock. He rubbed an eye with his hoof. He had just woken up. He lit his horn and pulled open the door.

A purple earth pony wandered in skeptically, looking about in the dark. “Hood? You home?”

Hood shook his mane. “Oh, right, sorry.” He lit his horn once more, and candles around the room lit up magically, filling the room with a pale light.

“I just came over to deliver your pay for the week. Are you just waking up?”

Hood nodded. “I sleep when most ponies are awake, that’s why I make my deliveries at night.”

Berry Punch dropped a small bag of bits on the table, peering about curiously. Hood’s home was chalk full of books, glass orbs and all manner of magical paraphernalia. “What interesting décor, Hood. You like magic then?”

Hood pulled his cape over his shoulders, telekinetically tying the knot on the front and raised his hood. “Yes, I’ve been doing magic a long time. I attended a magic school in Canterlot when I was a colt, and I’ve been studying magic ever since.”

“Do you know Twilight Sparkle? I hear she show knows a great deal about magic.” Berry Punch gabbed casually, poking at a crystal ball with her hoof.

“I met her a long time ago, but we havn’t spoken in a long time. Thanks for dropping off the bits, Berry.” Hood said. He was being polite, but he didn’t like ponies snooping with his magic stuff, especially those who couldn’t use magic themselves. Many of his artifacts were delicate, and others could even be dangerous.

“Oh, that’s no problem. Could you get the next delivery to my shop Monday? And tell Elderberry I said thanks for the berries.” Berry Punch said with a friendly smile, trotting out of Hood’s home.

Hood sighed in relief and magically snuffed the candles. He walked over to the crystal ball Berry had been interested in and lit his horn. Fortunately, it hadn’t been damaged. It lit up in response to Hood’s magic, but Hood didn’t seem interested. He moved to his couch and lay down with a book between his front hooves. Once everypony was asleep he would go outside for a while, but for now he would quietly read alone in his house.

A crash resounded from his roof, making Hood jump. He frantically opened his window with magic, just in the nick of time, as his dark grey Pegasus friend Solar Flare burst in, smacking into the opposite wall. Hood shook his head as the door opened and his other friend, a pale green Earth Pony with a berry cutie mark named Elderberry trotted in.

“Still havn’t got the hang of using a door, eh, Solar?” Elderberry chastised.

Solar Flare scoffed. “Who needs ‘em?”

“Hey, everypony. What’s going on?” Hood greeted.

“He was bored, so we decided to see if you were awake yet. Here, I brought somethin’ for ya’.” Hood reached into his saddlebag and pulled out a long-necked glass bottle. “Figured we’d hang out, long as it’s okay with you.”

Hood nodded. “Fine by me, I was just gonna do some reading.” His horn lit up and three glasses floated in and sat themselves on the table near the fireplace. The fireplace magically roared into life and the three friends gathered near it. Hood poured some wine from Elderberry’s bottle for each of them.

“How have you guys been keeping?” Hood chatted, sipping his wine. Elderberry owned a winery outside Ponyville and made the best wine outside of Canterlot.

“Not too bad, even though my sales have been less than great lately.” Elderberry replied. “They’ll pick back up around Hearth’s Warming Eve, they always do.”

Solar Flare chugged his glass and poured himself some more, drawing a scolding glare from Elderberry. He ignored his friend and began a story about the weather. Hood mainly sat and listened. He was quite content listening to his friends’ stories.

The three friends sat and talked for hours before Elderberry glanced at the clock and excused himself. Solar Flare had to leave as well. The two wandered out yawning. Hood bid them farewell before settling back into his place on the couch, his book between his hooves. His head was swimming a little, but he could read just fine.

Something was on his mind, distracting him from his book. It wasn’t his friends’ stories. It was actually his conversation with Berry Punch earlier. He had mentioned how his schedule conflicted with him knowing many ponies. How he was always about in the night instead of the day. It had been like that his whole life. He remembered back to when he was a foal…

-

Hood had been living and studying at Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns for about a year, and the changing of the seasons from winter to spring had just occurred. He was attending an astrology class in the courtyard of the school just after sunset.

Around him, many colts and fillies were starting to nod, the class taking place well past their bedtimes. Hood, however, was perfectly awake and was gazing with fascination at the moon through a telescope. He could see it more clearly through the instrument, and was enthralled by the unicorn shaped series of craters on its face known as the Mare in the Moon.

The teacher, Spell Scroll, was explaining the influence of several astral bodies on the waning and waxing of magic. Only one pony among the class seemed at all interested, a purple filly with a pink spark cutie mark. She hung on the teacher’s every word as she did in all her classes.

Hood pulled the hood on his cloak back up. He gazed around at all stars and planets and then back to his friends from class. It kind of saddened him how no one seemed to enjoy the night as he did. He even looked the part of a pony of the night, especially with the black cape he always wore. The real reason he wore it was to hide the fact that he did not yet have his cutie mark. Every other foal in his class had earned theirs, yet his dark blue flank remained quite bare. He hoped it would have something to do with magic, but so far, nothing had appeared.

“Any questions class?” Spell Scroll asked loudly, alarming several foals out of their stupors.

“I have one, can we go to bed now?” A little colt asked sarcastically, earning giggles from his friends.

Spell Scroll smiled softly. “Ah, well, I suppose it would be time for that. Alright, I’ll lead you back to your rooms.” The teacher started off towards the dorms, a group of yawning foals following close behind. Two figures remained in the courtyard, hiding behind a table so they wouldn’t have to go to bed just yet.

“No, no, that’s the little dipper, see how the last star in the handle is brighter?” Twilight Sparkle explained, pointing with her hoof.

“Ah, I see. So where’s the big one?” Hood asked, gazing with genuine interest at the sky.

“It’s further to the west at this part of night.” Twilight lectured. She sounded like a teacher even though she was barely any older than Hood.

“I see. Say, aren’t you tired? I thought I was the only pony who liked to be up this late.”

“I couldn’t sleep if I tried right now. That class was so exciting, don’t you think?” Twilight exclaimed.

Hood raised an eyebrow. “Uh, sure.”

“Say, why don’t you ever take that cape off?” Twilight asked, suddenly interested.

Hood lowered his Hood with a hoof. “Um, no reason. I just like it.”

“Ah okay.” Twilight replied, gazing back at the sky. “You can see the Mare in the Moon really clearly tonight. Don’t you just love full moons?”

Hood nodded. “I like the night time. It’s peaceful and quiet, plus I can usually get some time alone at night.”

“Is that why you’re always tired during classes?” Twilight asked.

Hood rubbed the back of his neck with a hoof. It was true. His grades were good, but he had more than once been scolded about sleeping in class. The fact was, he just had his wiring backwards. He was awake at night.

“That’s kind of neat actually. Most ponies sleep at night, but I bet your not the only one who likes to stay up. I was reading a story a few days ago about how there used to be two princesses, one for the daytime and one for the night-“ Twilight rattled off the entire story, Hood listening contently. Fond as he was of his peaceful nights, it was nice to have someone to talk to without the sun making his head hurt.

Twilight finished her story with a mighty yawn. “Well, it’s been nice talking to you, uh…”

“Hood.” He replied with a smile, putting his trademark hood back up.

“It’s been nice Hood.” Twilight finished with a smile before trotting off towards her dorm. Hood lay down on the grass, gazing at the moon. He wondered if there were other ponies out there who liked the night like he did.

-

Hood shook himself awake. He must have dozed off. He peered out the window to see that the sun was rising in the east. Hood groaned. He hated waking up during the day; it set his internal clock off balance. His stomach growled. He had skipped two meals and was starving. He pulled his rumpled, slept in cloak off and tossed it onto a chair as he made himself a sandwich.

He quickly recanted the previous night’s events. Berry Punch had dropped by and then Solar Flare and Elderberry showed up with some wine. Hood chuckled. That at least explained his impromptu nap. He ate his sandwich in silence, looking into a few crystal balls. He didn’t use any magic, and yet could still see things in the glass orbs. Of course, anypony that he scried was just starting their day, but he decided not to spy too much.

Hood wrinkled his snout in thought for a moment before pulling his cape back on. He put his hood up and opened the door, wincing against the sun a little. He trotted out towards town square, letting the sun warm his coat. He earned glances from a few ponies. He was a stranger to most of Ponyville.

His spot on the bench next to the fountain was free and he laid down on it. He lowered his hood and shook his black mane. This was the first time in a long time he had come out in broad daylight. It felt kind of good, actually. His head didn’t even hurt. He settled his chin between his front hooves and sighed peacefully.

“Hi!” Hood was started out of his doze by a cheerful greeting. He looked up to see a spunky looking pink pony with frizzy hair and a balloon cutie mark.

“Hi, it’s good too meet you.” Hood greeted politely.

“It’s good to meet you too! That’s funny, I don’t meet new ponies very often. I know just about everypony who lives around here, so that means you must be new, are you new? Do you have any friends yet?”

Hood realized his mouth was gaping and closed it awkwardly. “Um, well I’ve lived here a while…”

The pink pony’s jaw dropped. “But, but that means I- UGH!” She darted off without another word.

“Well, that was… Weird…” Hood said to himself, rubbing behind his ear with his hoof. He was about to settle back into his rest when he was greeted by another voice. One he had heard somewhere before.

“You’ll have to excuse her, she’s just being Pinkie Pie.” A purple unicorn said with a warm smile as she approached Hood.

“That’s alright.” Hood said, raising his head, now convinced that he wouldn’t be allowed to rest for a while.

The purple unicorn looked at him for a moment before a look of surprise crossed her face. “Hood? Is that you?” Hood realized where he had heard this voice before.

“Twilight?” Hood asked in surprise. He hadn’t expected to see her here. He knew she lived in Ponyville, but hadn’t seen her since he had moved there.

“Wow, it’s been years, how long have you been in Ponyville?” Twilight asked excitedly, giving Hood a welcoming hug.

“Not long, only a year or so.” Hood replied. It was nice to see his old friend from school again.

“A whole year? And you never stopped to say hello?” Twilight scolded.

“Well, actually, I’ve been to the library to borrow books once or twice, but you’ve never been there. A little dragon always helped me find the books.”

“That’s Spike, you don’t remember him from school?”

“Spike? That was the dragon you hatched for your entrance exam? Wow, he’s grown a bit.”

Twilight chuckled. “That’s nothing, you remember that dragon that rampaged through town a few months ago?”

Hood looked toward the ground awkwardly. “Well, no, actually. I must not have been awake.”

“Oh, that’s right, I forgot that you’re usually up at night. I suppose that explains why we havn’t seen one another. Say, are you busy? Maybe you could join me and my friends and catch up.”

Hood smiled and raised his hood. “That sounds nice.” Twilight smiled warmly and led Hood through town.

“Here we are, I was on my way here for a get together we had been planning. I’m sure my friends would love to meet you.”

Twilight said as they approached a vibrantly decorated sweets shop. A sign hung above the door that read “Sugar Cube Corner.” Hood had never been inside, but he had passed by the shop during his night-time deliveries.
Twilight magically opened the door. Hood stepped inside only to receive a blast of confetti to his face. A resounding SURPRISE! filled the shop.

“Oh, right, I probably should have mentioned that…” Twilight said sheepishly.

The pink pony from before bounced up to Hood, chattering excitedly. “Hey, remember me? We met earlier. You were on that bench and I was like ‘Hi’ and you were like ‘nice to meet you’ and then I was like-“ Pinkie was cut short by Twilights hoof.

“Er, yes, I remember.” Hood said awkwardly.

Four other ponies approached, an orange earth pony, a white unicorn and two pegasi, one blue with a rainbow mane and tail and a yellow one who hid quietly behind her mane.

“Pinkie, please, you’re going to overwhelm him.” The white unicorn scolded. She turned back to Hood with a smile. “Sorry about her, darling, she just loves to make new friends. I see you’ve already met Twilight.”

“Girls, this is my old friend from school, Hood. Hood, this is Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and, of course, Pinkie Pie.”

Pinkie gasped. “You already know him? Why didn’t you tell me? If you knew he was here, then we could have thrown him a welcome party and then he would already know everypony.”

“I didn’t know he was living here. He, um, well he works at night.”

Hood shook hooves with everypony. They seemed like a nice group, even though they all had surprisingly little in common. Once they were all acquainted, they sat down to some cake that Pinkie had inexplicably prepared in no time at all.

“I just love your cape, what is it made of?” Rarity asked.

“Spellcloth. I had it specially made in Canterlot.” Hood explained.

“It’s simply divine. Black really is your color, it goes with your coat perfectly.” Rarity praised.

“Rarity designs fashions here in Ponyville, Hood.” Twilight explained.

“So, Twilight say’s y’all work nights. Don’t you get tired?” Applejack asked curiously.

Hood shrugged. “I sleep during the day, most times, that’s why I’m not around much.”

“Ugh, I don’t know how you can take it. I wouldn’t be able to stand not being out in the sun.” Rainbow Dash chided.

“I think it might be kind of nice, being able to stay up at night. It must be nice and quiet.” Fluttershy added. It was the first
Hood had heard her say, and she looked at the ground when he responded.

“Oh, it is. And I’m not alone all the time, my friends Elderberry and Solar Flare come by to visit a lot.”

“Hey, I know Solar Flare, he’s never mentioned you before.” Rainbow Dash said skeptically. Hood just shrugged.

“Hey, Hood, if you don’t mind me asking, what did your cutie mark end up being?” Twilight enquired. Hood blushed a little, he had hoped no one had noticed that he still hadn’t earned his mark when he graduated from school.

Regardless, he pulled his cape aside to show the turquoise eye-shaped mark on his flank. “Nothing special.” He said modestly, letting his cape flap back over him.

Twilight didn’t press the issue and the party continued into the evening before everypony started off towards home. Hood walked Twilight back to her library.

“It was so nice catching up, Hood, we should do this again some time.” Twilight said.

It was nice to see somepony for a change, even if the sun had left him a little discomforted. He would wait a bit before coming out during the day again.

“Well, here we are, thanks for walking me home, it’s been good seeing you again.” Twilight said, hugging Hood goodbye.

“Tell Spike I said hi.” Hood said with a wave goodbye. He walked off, but not back towards his home. He wasn’t really tired, so he would lie down on his bench again for a while.

He lay there, listening to the fountain babble for a while. Before he knew it, he was drifting off to sleep, right there in the park.

-

Hood was surrounded by other ponies, whom he recognized as citizens of Ponyville. He felt unwelcome, and yet nopony confronted him. They were all fixated on a figure standing on a podium nearby. His vision was blurry, but the figure looked like a Pegasus. No… There was a horn on her head. An alicorn?

A voice filled his head. “Ah, my beloved subjects…”

“-see the signs?”

“-sun loving faces…”

“The night will last forever!”

-

Hood woke up with a start, covered in cold sweat. He gasped for breath, and looked around frantically. He was still on the bench in the park. It was dark as could be, he guessed sometime around one o’clock.

But he wasn’t alone.

He turned toward the other figure, the invader in his night and lit his horn.

Standing before him was a pony larger than him, though not by much. Her coat was a shade of blue even darker than Hood’s own, and her flank was graced with a nightscape cutie mark. Her mane flowed like water and was full of stars. A small black crown rested above her horn and proud wings were spread against the night sky.

It was Princess Luna.