• Published 2nd Mar 2013
  • 769 Views, 22 Comments

Fearless - TrustTheTARDIS

  • ...
2
 22
 769

Accendo

It was now seven in the morning, a day since Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash had talked together. Rainbow had to leave without finishing her story for Fluttershy had a problem with Tank. Twilight was intrigued by this different part of her friends life. She knew everypony had secrets and parts of their life they’d rather forget, but from what she had heard so far, she had trouble wondering why Rainbow never talked about it.

She always knew that there was a special connection between Dash and Fluttershy. Now she knew why. They considered each other as cousins. Twilight was so intertwined in her thoughts that she didn’t notice her coffee spilling out of the mug. After she had cleaned up, she wrote down a message.

Dear Spike,

I’ve gone into town and won’t be back for a while. There is breakfast in the

kitchen. Make sure to feed Owlicious.

Love,

Twilight


Just as she had said, Twilight headed out into town. It was a fresh, spring morning. She stopped by the fresh market to smell all the wonderful foods. After meandering for a while she went on her way to Fluttershy’s cottage.

The small structure was placed on the edge of the Everfree forest. It was strange for a pony so afraid of the woods to live right near it. She knocked on the door and was met by Angel. He peered up at her curiously.

“Hi Angel, is Fluttershy home?”

The bunny twitched his tail and opened the door for Twilight. She stepped inside, thanked him, and looked over to see not only Fluttershy but also Rainbow Dash sitting at the kitchen table.

“Hi Fluttershy, sorry to burst in on you. I was looking for Rainbow. May I sit down?”

“Oh, of course, Twilight. She was just telling me about yesterday. I know how you feel. I felt the same way when I heard the full story. Please, come sit.”

Twilight did as she asked. Rainbow remained silent not looking at Twilight.

“Rainbow I-”

“It’s not you Twilight. I’m sorry if I’ve made you feel guilty about something but really, it’s not you.”

“Oh, ok. Would you mind telling me the rest of the story? I want take no for an answer.”

“You’re always stubborn, aren’t you?”
Rainbow chuckled as she spoke.

Twilight looked at her concernedly.
“Why, is that a bad thing?”

“No, no. I’m joking- You want to hear the rest of the story. Well, there’s not too much left to tell. After the camping trip we headed back home. The trip took all day again and I had to ride on the luggage cloud…”
~
Darkness came early as clouds rolled in. Spectra and her sister had just arrived in Cloudsdale. They landed and stretched their wings. Hurrying in the shadows, they made their way to the cloud house their father had left them.

“Spectra, I smell smoke.”

“Me too, squirt. I hope those cult ponies aren’t at it again. The uprising’s just died down.”

They trudged on. Soon they could see an orange light reflecting off of the clouds overhead.

“Wait, Dash, that fire looks like it’s coming from- oh no!!”

“Is the fire coming from… our house?”

Spectra’s white face seemed to drain of any color that it previously had. At the sight of her sister Rainbow Dash started to whimper. Suddenly, Spectra scooped up Rainbow and sped towards their home with luggage in tow.

They arrived too late the house had been destroyed and set afire. The light shone on the pegasi’s distraught faces. It wasn’t until she heard the staggered breathing did Rainbow Dash notice the tears streaming down the older mare’s face. At the sight of her sister, Rainbow could not bear but to cry also.

Suddenly Spectra’s ears shot up. She turned her head just in time to see a stallion charge at her.

“Rainbow, RUN!!!!!!!!!!”

They ran as fast as they could but the pony behind them caught up quickly. Spectra frantically searched the sky. She spotted a cloud.

“Get to that cloud! GO GO GO!”

Rainbow obeyed her sister and shot into the sky. She looked down as she reached the cloud. Spectra skidded to a stop. Sh stood facing the charging, drunken pegasus. Just as he was about to make impact, she flew out of the way. Rainbow could hear him cursing and calling Spectra foul names.

He charged again.

This time Spectra couldn’t jump out of the way quick enough. Rainbow shut her eyes as she heard the thump of a body fall through the clouds. Forgetting her fear and the luggage, Rainbow dive-bombed through the clouds herself.

As soon as she was below cloud-level, she searched for her sister. In the dark of Luna’s night the only thing that gave away her sister’s location was the rainbow mane.

As she drew ever closer she was able to get a good look. Spectra’s wing was bent back awkwardly. There was a trickle of blood coming from her mouth, but other than that she seemed alright. Rainbow tugged with all her might and the cloud began to move. She pushed it for miles, unaware of her own aching. She had to Spectra to safety. She had to find a home.
~
Morning came and Spectra awoke to find herself far away from Cloudsdale. They seemed to have traveled with the wind making the distance from the great, cloud city even farther. She tried to stretch her wings but found that one was dislodged out of it’s socket. Very painfully she pushed it back into it’s correct position. She found a bush with long grasses. Braiding these, she made a rope and tied her wing to her side.

She looked over at her little sister. The filly was still asleep. She had obviously crashed not too long ago.

“I’ll let her sleep. What’s in my…mouth-oh.”

A bitter taste had formed in her mouth and she found it was dried blood. Walking to the river she washed herself from head to hoof.

As soon as Rainbow woke up, she found her sister washing up in the river. She tried to contain the urge to run up and hug her. Rainbow crept down low and made her way silently until she was inches away from Spectra. Careful not to hurt Spectra’s wing, she pounced.

“Spectra! You’re okay!! Don’t EVER leave me here alone!”
Rainbow buried her face it Spectra's coat.

“’Course I am, squirt. I’ll never let you go.”

“Good.”
Rainbow couldn't hold back the tears now and they streamed down her face.
Spectra held her sister for a little while.

“Wait, I know where we are…”

“Where?”

“We flew by here when we went to visit Aunt Miranda. There should be a cabin somewhere. Come on!”

Author's Note:

If any of you are wondering why I tell the parts of the story Rainbow wouldn't see or know, I am only trying to convey the feeling of actually being there. If you have any questions, please just ask.
Enjoy!