• Published 25th Feb 2013
  • 2,501 Views, 43 Comments

The Mage's Jump - Marvelous Cheshire



After finding a strange creature in the woods one day, a young mage must help them return to their own world, he'll do anything he can to help the creature get home, even if he has to give up is own home to do so.

  • ...
15
 43
 2,501

Chapter 5

THE MAGE’S JUMP
BY GENOSABER
CHAPTER 5

“Curse the sun.” I muttered as I opened my eyes, only to be greeted by the harsh light of morning. I shielded my eyes with my left hand, giving my eyes time to adjust. Once I could see again, I glanced down at Spike’s bed, noting his absence. I turned my attention to the clock. “Almost noon.” I said. I looked down at the mare sleeping beside me. “Twi, it’s time to get up, we need to head to the hospital.” I said softly, giving her a slight nudge with my right arm. She stirred a bit before opening her eyes, looking at me with a lazy smile.

“What time is it?” Twilight asked as she rubbed her eyes and sat up.

“About a quarter till noon.” I said as I got up and made my way to my pack. I pulled a clean change of clothes out. “I was hoping to get to the hospital early, go through this screening, then take the time to prepare for my little lecture later.” I dashed into the bathroom and changed into a pair of jeans and my spare robe. Once I was done, I exited the bathroom and sat back down on the bed as I reached for my boots. I continued getting ready as Twilight went about her own morning routine. After we were both finished, we made our way down to the main room.

“I’ll be back soon Spike, I just need to show Trace to the hospital.” Twilight called to the Dragon as we passed. He gave nod in reply, not looking away from his task. We made our way out of the library and onto the streets. I followed Twilight as she led me towards the hospital, the walk was quiet for the most part, until-

“Look out!” A voice behind us called. My instincts kicked in and I quickly got out of the way. Twilight however, wasn’t so lucky.

“Ah!” Twilight yelped as something crashed into her. Once the dust cleared, I could make out four small ponies, fillies, judging by their appearance. An orange and purple pegasus, a yellow and red earth pony, and two unicorns, one white with a two toned mane and tail, the other very pale violet with a blonde mane and tail laid piled with a scooter and wagon next to a disoriented Twilight. “Ow.” Twilight groaned as she slowly sat up. The fillies recovered as well and all stared at Twilight, apologetic expressions on each of them.

“Sorry Twilight.” Three of the fillies said in unison, the blonde unicorn just stared sadly with her sapphire colored eyes.

Twilight turned towards to the fillies. “It’s fine, girls.” She reassured them before looking around her. “Trace?”

“Up here.” I said. Twilight and the fillies all turned their heads up towards me, their faces expression confusion.

“Um, how did you get on top of that lamp post?” Twilight asked slowly. I shrugged before jumping down.

“Years of danger has allowed my paranoia to heighten my reflexes.” I turned back to the post, it was only a few feet taller than me. “Last time I got startled I teleported up a hundred foot tree, didn’t come down for about an hour.” I said nonchalantly. the fillies seemed interested in my choice of words.

“You can use magic?” The white filly asked, glancing up at my head. “But you don’t have a horn.” While the other unicorn remained silent, Her expression told me she was curious as well.

“Well, no but I can still use magic like this,” I snapped my fingers and summoned a basic light spell, commonly used in place of lanterns. I saw the pegasus walk back over, apparently having asked Twilight something.

“What else can you do?” She asked.

“Elemental spells mostly.” I said. I don’t even know these children, but something about each of them reminded me of Twilight's friends a bit.

“Could you teach us?” I blinked at the little earth pony’s words.

“No, for three reasons,” I held up my right index finger. “One, I don’t even know your names,” I put up my middle finger next. “Two, I’m not sure my magic can be used by ponies. And three, I would require written and signed parent or guardian consent, magic where I come from can be a bit dangerous.” They frowned a little, but nodded.

“My name’s Apple Bloom, I’m Applejack’s sister.” The earth pony said before pointing to her friends, “This is Sweetie Belle, Rarity’s sister. Scootaloo, Alex and Rainbow Dash’s daughter. And Sapphire is Emerald’s daughter.” She finished by pointing to the silent filly. “And together we’re” They each took a deep breath, and my instincts screamed at me to cover my ears. “THE CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS!” I slapped my hands over my ears half way through their introduction, Bahamut’s flame that was loud.

“My name,” I said as my ears stopped ringing. “Is Trace Reinhart, a pleasure to meet you.” I turned to Twilight. “If you’ll excuse us, I have an appointment to get to. Take care.” I waved to them as I started walking beside Twilight. The...crusaders, waved back before departing as well.

“That,” I said, pointing back towards the fillies, “was just plain odd.” Twilight giggled and looked back.

“Most ponies in town might agree with you, but they’re also more used to to seeing them in town.” I nodded slowly and remained silent. As we walked, I began to notice a somewhat unsettling theme for the town.

Almost every building we passed appeared to be made of wood with a thatch roof. Due to the destructive nature of Black Magic, most buildings in Cornelia had been made of stone or heavily enchanted. I found myself disturbed by how much of a fire hazard this place was, one stray shot with fira could do a number on the town.

“We’re here.” Twilight said, pulling me out of my thoughts. The hospital was a pretty standard design to go with the rest of town. Like every other building it was made out of wood, but had a wooden roof instead of thatch. “I should head back to the library.” Twilight said as she turned back down the path, before turning back to me. “Actually, I was wondering if I could look through your books? I only got the chance to read a few of them before, and well...” She stared back at me with a pleading look.

I have a pretty good idea why she really wants to, but there is very little written knowledge of it. Plus, no harm in letting her learn more about my world’ I mulled it over for a second, before nodding. “I don’t see why not. Third pocket, green tag on the zipper.” She nodded and trotted off.

This is going to end badly for you, I hope you realize that.’ I whipped my head around to the direction the voice was coming from, but no one was there.

Great’ I thought ‘Now I might be going crazy.’ With that, I made my way into the building.


After finding the good doctor we started the tests. After going through the usual procedures to check vitals and having me fill out a bit of paperwork they got an X-ray taken. While that was was developing I was instructed me to wait a few minutes while they got everything else prepared. “Your skeletal structure seems fine.” Emerald said as he entered the room, the X-ray pictures floating in front of him and a table of tools behind him, both surrounded in a green aura matching his horn. “I noticed that while it matches Alex and Matthew’s in shape, it seems to be denser.”

“Drow genetics, they have stronger bones to help take more abuse than other Elves or Humans.” I explained. Emerald nodded and placed the photos on the table before grabbing a rather disturbingly large syringe. “Um, if I may be so bold as to ask, do you have a smaller syringe? I prefer subjecting my body to as little pain as possible.” I said, keeping my face calm despite almost panicking at the sight of the syringe.

He gave a slightly embarrassed chuckle “Oh dear, sorry about that old bean. Let me get the foal-sized one.” He switched the oversized syringe out for a more reasonable one. I relaxed and allowed him to draw my blood, feeling a bit of morbid nostalgia at the sight of the dark red fluid. It had been a comfortably long time since I last got wounded, and it was actually a bit relieving to see it outside my body for a good reason.

After that was done, Emerald requested a tissue sample. I gave him information any information that would help, including on the slight differences between my hybrid blood and normal humans or elves. “Anything else?” I asked as I took a moment to stand and stretch, releasing a series of pops from my joints.

“Yes, I’d like to run a few quick tests on your magic.” Emerald replied as he brought a device connected to several lenses made of what appeared to be crystal. “Just relax for a moment please. This will help check for any kind of aura” I sat back on the table in a meditative position. I cleared my mind and took several deep breaths, letting myself fall into a pattern.

After a few minutes of him switching between lenses and taking notes, Emerald placed the device back on the table. “Next, We’ll run a quick test to check your resonance with the magical field of this world. To do this, I’m going to run a series of small currents through your body and judge resonance based on your reaction and the dial on the resometer.” I nodded and laid back down in the table. After a second, I felt a very dull spark, then nothing. “Feel anything?” He asked after he checked the dial, which didn’t rise.

“I felt a faint spark at first, but nothing else.” I heard Emerald write something onto his clipboard as I sat up. “What’s next?” I asked, glancing at the clock. Nearly an hour had passed since I got here.

“Last test, I just need you to charge this with raw magic.” He floated a small strip of metal wired to some kind of measuring device to me. “And please be careful with it. Its aluminum.” I eyed it for a second before taking it. I closed my eyes and concentrated, focusing my energy into a the metal.

I started slow, taking care to not overwhelm it, but over time I carefully increased the amount of magic I was sending into it. I could hear Emerald’s quill scratching away at the clipboard. “Stop!” Emerald shouted. I complied, opening my eyes and looking down at the metal.

“Whoa.” I said silently. The metal had been bent slightly, and almost half of it had been blackened. “Heh heh, Sorry about that.” I said sheepishly.

“I-it’s fine.” He stuttered a bit, but quickly recovered. “I’m actually more surprised by these results.” He began looking through the papers. “As far as I can tell, your magic comes from within you.” He stared in surprise, looking between me and the paper.

“Yes, I going to assume ponies are different.” I said as I began Emerald nodded slowly.

“Ponies use the magic field as their source. You on the other hand are basically a,” He paused for a second. “A living battery of magic.” I chuckled a bit at that.

“Interesting way to put it, but accurate nonetheless.” I reached the doorway and glanced back at him. “I hope this information helps, and would you mind bringing a copy with you when you come by the library? I’m sure Twilight would like to know this as well”

“Of course, and thank you Mr. Reinhart.” He said. I gave a polite nod before leaving, making my way to the exit, but not without overhearing Emerald muttering “but where is he getting it from?

It was about halfway back to the library that I remembered something ‘I haven’t had anything to eat’ As if to remind me of this my stomach growled. ‘Hmm, I remember seeing a building that looked like a gingerbread house yesterday, I’m guessing that would be Sugarcube Corner.’ I altered my course slightly, remember the direction it was from the library.

The walk was pleasant, most ponies seemed to give me nothing more than a quick glance, but a few offered a polite wave, which I returned in kind. Eventually I made my way to the building “This is either an obviously decorated bakery, or the pony that lives here has the oddest taste in design.” I muttered as I glanced over the structure. I shrugged in indifference and entered the building.

The first thing I noticed was the strong scent of various pastries that I’ve come to associate with Bakeries. The second was a familiar pink coated mare behind the counter. “Good afternoon Ms. Pie.” I said as I walked up to her.

“Hey!” She said cheerfully, “Anything I can help you with?”

“Hmm,” I looked over the assorted baked goods, before making up my mind. “A couple almond muffins would be great, oh, and a cup of coffee please.” She quickly grabbed two of the delicious treats and a cup of wonderful smelling dark coffee and handed (hoofed?) them to me. I paid her along with a tip and made my way to one of the open tables. Sitting on the stool there felt a bit odd, but it was better than the ground. After second Pinkie... hopped... from behind the counter over to where I was seated. “Yes?” I asked, taking a bite out of one of muffins.

“I was wondering if you could tell about your tastes in music?” She said. I raised a brow, curious as to why she would seek this information. This seemed to get to her. “For your party I mean.” She added with a small smile. Oh yeah, Alex mentioned something about that when I met him.

“I’m not really picky about music, something light and mostly in the background would be great, as long as it’s easy on the ears” I said while giving a small gesture to the aforementioned additions to my head.

She nodded in understanding. “And food?”

“Obviously nothing involving seafood, but I’m guessing I won’t have to worry about that here.” She gave a short laugh at that. “Again, I’m not picky, so whatever you think would be good is fine.” She nodded once more and hopped back to the counter. “Odd mare. Nice, but a little odd.” I muttered quietly, returning to my breakfast.

The rest of my time in the bakery was uneventful. A few ponies came and went, but otherwise it remained quiet. Once I finished, I threw my trash anyway and left with a polite wave to Pinkie. The walk back was pleasant enough, until-

Is that a fish hanging in a tree?’ I stared in bewilderment at the sight. It seemed like some random pony had taken a couple fish and tied them up in a tree, high enough that anyone without flight or magic would be unable to take them. I felt a small chill and turned just in time to see a Green and white tail disappear around a corner ‘Okay then, I’m, going to just leave, before the stench of the fish makes me hurl.’ I shook my head and hurried away from the tree.

“Welcome back.” Twilight said as I entered the library. I saw my bag laying open on the couch beside her beside her and a several of my larger books stacked on the end table. I gave her a quick smile as I moved the bag and sat down, pulling Twilight so she was laying on her back with her head on my chest. my hands over her chest, I could feel her heartbeat speed up. I gave a small smile as I looked over the book she had been reading, still being held by her magic.

“Larsa Solidor’s guide to Advanced Alchemy? Interesting choice, forgot I still had that. It was a pretty rare book.” Twilight craned her head back towards me. The look in her eyes oddly familiar to one Arcana gave me back when she was just a small child begging for a cookie. “You want to keep it? I don’t really need it anymore.” Her mouth began to split into a grin. “...Fine, it’s yours.” Twilight squee’d in delight before twisting her body, throwing her forelegs around my neck and pulling her face towards mine, our lips connecting in a kiss.

After an unknown amount of time, a knock on the door startled both of us. Twilight and I jumped a bit, ending up on the floor splayed out, the book landing on Twilight’s back. We managed to right ourselves so we were sitting upright, blushes covering our faces and sparks dancing around my body once more.

I really, really hate these sparks.

I got myself under control and made my way to the door as Twi gathered the books and placed them back in my bag (keeping the Alchemy book out) and making her way upstairs.

“Emerald!” I said as I threw the door open, sensing the odd Stallion’s energy. “You’re,” I glanced at the clock. “Fifteen minutes early.” I turned back to him for an answer.

“Sorry, I finished my work early, and I had nothing to do, so...” He trailed off. I nodded in acceptance and turned to let him in. “Is Twilight going to be joining us?” He asked as he pulled out a folder with copies of the results from this morning.

I took the folder and headed for the stairs. “Sadly no, she’s a bit caught up in a book she found in my bag earlier.” Emerald frowned slightly but nodded. “Just give me a minute, I need to get some things.” I hurried up the stairs and into the bedroom, passing Twilight the folder and pulling a plain white shirt and three thick books from my bag. After changing I returned to the main room, Emerald waiting patiently at the table in the center of the room. “Ready?” I asked. In response he pulled a quill, ink, and a stack of papers.

I began drawing a rough sketch of my world. “Gaia is a beautiful world, filled with a variety of different species both sentient and wild.” I tapped the chalk on the topmost continent. “Cardia, the Northern continent, is where I lived. It’s a peaceful land, populated mostly by humans, but other species make this territory their home, such as the nomadic lycan, or werewolves, and the mysterious Kitsune, a species of fox with the ability to create powerful illusions, and even change their forms into that of other creatures.” Above the sketch I drew a magic circle. “Cardia is known for it’s magic, while humans use two basic types, White magic that can heal others, and Black magic that can bring destruction to one’s enemies.” I noticed Emerald giving me a look that was both curious and cautious. “Of course, modern Black Mages work under the Order, and use their power to protect others.” He nodded, looking less worried. “Thee other groups have their own magic, Lycans can use the power of the moon and channel it similar to human magic.” I placed the chalk down for a second. “Foxes however, are different, they are masters of illusion, but incredibly shy. Very few have actually managed to meet them.” I paused as Emerald raise a hoof.

“Have you ever met them?” He asked.

“Well, yes actually, I visited one clan, the Southern River Clan, about eight years ago. They are actually very kind, but they have been in seclusion for so long, it’s hard for them to adjust to normal life.” I picked the chalk back up. “The capital, Cornelia, is home to the Order of Magi, a collection of Magic users of all kinds that work to keep the work from falling into the hands of Chaos.”

I tapped the right continent next. “Elfheim is the second largest landmass, and home to the most sentient species.” I began drawing out the different emblems for each group. “The common species are the elves, split into three types, High Elf, Forest Elf, and Dark Elf. Along with the cave dwelling Dwarves.” I looked back at Emerald, who motioned for me to continue. “While not the most magically advanced continent, Elfheim is revered for the culture, food, art, music, and in the case of Dwarves, weaponry.” I stopped for a second and turned back. “I’m going to keep the talk of the species brief for now, I’ll get back to them once I’m done with the geography.”

“Understood.” Emerald replied with a nod.

“The western continent of Ivalice is a rather questionable one” I said as I drew a set of symbols. “They advance not in art or magic, but in technology. They use what is called magitek, taking magic they have harnessed and charged into different types of storage and using it as fuel for vehicles and weapons.” I drew two more emblems. “The two species that work on this are the Viera, a race of humanoids with some....rabbit like feature such as ears and feet.” Emerald stared at me in confusion. I pulled one of the books out and turned to a page with a picture of the Viera in it. Emerald nodded and went back to writing notes.

“The other is the Bangaa, a race of reptilian humanoids. Viera focused on technology to help in life, medical, transportation, and similar topics.” Emerald raised a brow. “It's been a few years since I studied it, so my memory is a bit hazy, and Cardia doesn’t really use much Magitek.” I frowned as I thought of my next words. “Bangaa on the other hand, are violent, they focussed on weapons, such as firearms and war mechs.”

“You seem... uncomfortable about the topic,” Emerald noted.

“Somewhat, I’ll explain why later.” I sighed and tapped the bottom continent. “Lastly, we have Lufenia, the wild lands. There are no civilizations on it, any that may have been there died centuries ago. The only sentient being that makes this savage realm is the dragon king Bahamut, the Hallowed Father of the Espers.” I stopped as I finished marking the Dragon god’s sigil. “The only other creatures that live there are powerful beasts, mostly beings of draconic blood.” I placed the chalk down and grabbed an eraser. “You mind if we stop for a moment?” I asked, looking back at Emerald as I began erasing the notes on the board

“Not at all.” He replied. I gave a short nod of thanks before heading for the kitchen and getting a glass of water. Now I remember why I didn’t do lecture that often, my damn throat gets dry and starts to hurt after a while. After a minute I reached into my pocket and pulled out a set of silver wire rings connected in a straight line. I returned to the main room with the rings in one hand and my glass in the other.

“Okay then, rather than take up room on the chalkboard trying to describe the creatures of Gaia, I’m going to be using these.” I held up the rings before slipping them on my right hand. “They’re called weaver rings, infused with a special illusion enchantment.” I waved my hand, conjuring a near perfect copy of myself. “This should help with showing what each species looks like, as well as giving an accurate portrayal of their height.” Emerald nodded in response, muttering something under his breath. I waved my hand again and a new figure joined my copy.

This one was about half a foot taller than me, his skin light and his blonde hair reaching his shoulders. He was dressed in well made robes signifying high ranking nobility. His ears were pointed, but unlike mine they actually extended a few inches outward. “High Elve, the nobles of their land. The males reach about seven feet, females about six. They are notable by their height, light skin, and ears, as well as their elegant clothing. They are masters of the spirit, using it as a source for magic based around the more peaceful aspects of the world. They are known for their art, paintings, tailors, and the like. They are omnivores, and normally try and keep a good balance in their diets.” I canceled the image and began to create another Elf.

The next one was the same height as me, with dark tan skin and white hair. he wore simple clothes, a white tunic and black leggings that went to his knees. He had a green cloth tied around his waist and a matching bandana over his short hair “The Forest Elf, the more reclusive type. As their name suggest, they prefer living in villages and settlements built in or near forests. They are druidic in nature, born with the ability to bond with animals, as well as being able to supposedly communicate with both plants and wild animals.” Emerald shot me a questioning look. “I said supposedly, I’m not entirely sure if it’s true or not.” He went back to writing notes. “They’re mostly vegetarian, only eating meat on certain days, or during celebrations.”

The next image made me chuckle. The figure was female, a few inches taller than me, sporting dark, almost black skin and dark gray hair reaching the center of her back. Her gold cat-like eyes locked in a menacing glare, and a dented flanged mace hanging from her belt. she was dressed in dull clothes, covered with a old white apron. “Something you find amusing?” Emerald asked.

I nodded and calmed down enough to talk. “My Elven grandmother. A Dark Elf. Born from the corruption Chaos infected many High Elf during the first Chaos uprising nearly five hundred years ago. They are more aggressive, being proud warriors and feared in the battlefield. While they are normally as tall as High Elf, they tend to be bulkier, having more muscle mass. They use forms of dark magic, mostly known for their infamous Blood Magic, being the only species that can use it without suffering from Vampirism.” Emerald was looking a bit disturbed by this information. “They can also use a more unique magic called Umbramancy, shadow manipulation. They don’t normally use it in public, only among their own. I only know about because my Grandmother showed it to me once. Dark Elves are primarily carnivorous, the opposite of the Forest Elf, which is why I need to eat meat, or my health will go to shit.” Emerald nodded.

Next, I called an image of a familiar woman, as well as a large bipedal wolf like creature beside her. “Dawn Greyclaw, daughter of the Alpha of the silverpelt pack, and a Lunar Priestess of the Werewolves. In human form, the only distinct features are their more animalistic eyes and sharpened claws. In Lycan form, they become much stronger, faster, and far more ferocious. There isn’t much to tell about them, they share a diet similar to the Dark elves, and their magic is subtle, they mostly use it for divination, seeking guidance from the moon to find their paths.” and Dawn was stubborn in not talking about Lunar Magic. “I’m sorry but I’m going to skip the Foxes. As I said, they are very secretive” Emerald frowned but didn’t protest.

I called an image of a short man sporting a thick brown beard, dressed in dense plate mail and a large battle ax on his back. “Dwarves.” I said with a hint of a smirk. “Loud, drunk, and rowdy, these guys are the mountain and cave dwelling neighbors of the elves. They don’t really have much magic, other than the ability to shape metals any other smith would find near impossible.” I pulled out my knife, letting the fading light from the window shine across the the blue tinted blade. “Mithril is their art, it is something few smiths would even think of working, but a dwarf can shape it without difficulty. This knife is one of two, shaped by a dwarven blacksmith from the remains of my fathers broadsword.” I admired the blade for a second, before tucking it back into it’s sheath. “They aren’t violent, but they won’t back down from a challenge. They have the same diet as Elves, but for one extra ingredient.” I added a mug of ale to the image’s hand.

“Alcohol?” Emerald asked. I nodded and thought back to the time I spent in the Dwarven capital.

“Yep, nearly everything they cook has whiskey in it, and it’s one of their most common drinks, I got drunk off a roast once, great night but the hangover was torture the next morning.” I chuckled at the memory of Reeve trying to wake me, resulting in me breaking his old guitar over his head. “But I suppose I should get this over with.” I sighed and waved my hand once more

I summoned the last two, one of a Woman roughly the same height as myself, long rabbit ears atop her head, her feet bent like a rabbit trying to stand on it’s hind legs. She had dark skin and silver hair, dressed in a pair of overalls and a short sleeve shirt, a pair of welding goggles around her neck.

The other was a dark blue creature dressed in leather pants, a long rifle in its hand and a harsh look on its face. “Veira and Bangaa, two races with similar culture. but at the same time vastly different. Veira are peaceful and lively, while the Bangaa are more violent and introvertive. Viera are inventors, finding new ways to improve everyday life, while Bangaa seek to perfect the art of war. Veira are herbivores like ponies, and I’ve seen them get ill from ingesting meat. Bangaa are mostly,” I felt my stomach churn. “Fish Eaters. I've spent plenty of time among both races, and I can honeslty say I prefer the company of Viera. They are friendly and rarely hold grudges, while Bangaa tend to fight at the slightest provocation.”

“They can’t be that bad.” Emerald said.

“They went into a ten year civil war after the sons of the last king couldn’t work out a peaceful way to choose who to rule, they ended up splitting the country apart and pitting brothers against one another. They are that bad.” I noticed my voice got more aggressive as I spoke, I quickly pulled myself in and cleared my throat. “I believe now is as good a time as any to end this. I hope you got what you came for.” Emerald nodded and we exchanged goodbyes before he left.

“Everything okay?” Twilight asked as she and Spike made their way down here. I sighed and slumped onto the couch. “We could hear you, sounds like you haven’t had the best experience with these ‘Bangaa’.”

“Yeah, what was that about?” Spike asked.

“I haven’t, I’m not going into details, but even without the civil war they’ve been violent war mongers for centuries, not to mention they summoned Chaos last time.” Their eyes went wide at this.

“And they just got away with this?” Spike asked. I nearly burst out laughing at this.

“Heck no!, But this was little over a hundred years ago, they used to be a powerful force in the world, they’re but a fraction of what they once were.” I couldn’t help but frown. As much as I disliked them, the Bangaa didn’t deserve what happened.

“Whoa.” Spike muttered. “How’d that happen?”

“The World Summit.” I said, receiving looks of confusion from both of them. “A gathering of the heads of all the major houses on Gaia, leaders, royals, the like. They gathered after the the Chaos outbreak, resulting in nearly the entire summit voting to pretty much demolish the Bangaa empire, they managed to pull themselves together about 30 years back, working into the art of combat and weaponry, but they’ve never managed to recover.” I looked down at the floor. “Well,” I said, standing up. “It’s in the past, nothing anyone can do about it.” They both nodded, and we let the topic die.

We spent rest of the day doing little, I told a few legends of Bahamut and the Espers to Twi and Spike, who seemed to enjoying hearing such stories. Afterwards, we ate a quick dinner and headed off to bed, hoping tomorrow was a better day.

Author's Note:

Doctor Emerald was created by DiscordsAdvocate for use in Memoirs of a Reality Jumper, he is originally meant to be paired with Twilight (My fic is to be non-canon to Memoirs, I had no prior knowledge of him when I first wrote this, but thankfully Techogre green lighted it for the group, and they've helped me figure out several bumps in my plans since.)

the next chapter will be short, similar to Chapter 3.

Thanks to DA, Tosety, and Spect for prereading this.