• Published 25th Feb 2013
  • 2,500 Views, 43 Comments

The Mage's Jump - Marvelous Cheshire



After finding a strange creature in the woods one day, a young mage must help them return to their own world, he'll do anything he can to help the creature get home, even if he has to give up is own home to do so.

  • ...
15
 43
 2,500

Chapter 7

THE MAGE’S JUMP
BY GENOSABER
CHAPTER 7

As I was tying my hair back, I could see Matt’s expression. “What’s up with you?” Alex had dropped by with him in tow and asked if I’d like to go drinking with them. While I wasn’t really in the mood, Alex offered to pay for the first few rounds


I quickly accepted and let Twilight know before following them out. The whole way, I couldn’t help but notice Matt looking a bit uncomfortable.

“Not much of a social drinker.” He finally replied as the Grain Bucket came in sight.

I suppressed a chuckle before responding. “Then we are very different when it come to drinking. Like most Elves, I prefer to be in the company of friends when I get wasted.” I turned to Alex as we reached the front door. “Go raibh maith agat ag an mbealach.” I said slowly.

“No problem.” He said. He paused in the doorway before turning back to me. “Oh, and please go easy on the drinks, I know Elves tend to have a high tolerance.”

“Sure thing.” I replied with a smirk as I followed him inside.

After we had found an empty table near the bar, Alex ordered me a “Virgin Human.” before I could ask what the hell it was, he handed me a brown liquid. “Just drink it.” Alex said. I eyed the drink for a minute, before shrugging and downing the brew.

“It’s Rye.” I said with a hint of surprise. It was definitely the rye whiskey, but it had a slightly weaker taste, like it hadn’t fermented as long. Admittedly, it tasted a bit better than the Dwarven brew I was used to. “I’ll have another.” I told the bartender. He nodded in response and fixed another mug.

After three and a half mugs I decided to tell them about last night. “I was able to get in touch with Shiva last night.” Alex raised a brow while Matt looked confused. I pulled the letter out and handed it to him. “Sadly, all she could tell me was that it’s not a big threat, and that’s it’s coming sometime in Winter.” He nodded with a frown as we drifted into silence.

“Luna also decided to pay a visit in my dreams.” I said to break the silence. Alex and Matt just looked in mild confusion. “Asked me a couple questions, looked through my memories of my last nine days on Gaia. Oh, and asked me if I love Twilight.” They both choked a bit on their drink and stared in shock. “Oh. Matt, I’m dating Twilight.”

"Good for you, just remember if you try anything stupid there's a Sun Goddess and if she doesn't get you I will." He said. I sighed and placed a hand on my face.

“Good to know she has friends and family that are willing to protect her.” Alex chuckled lightly.

“And?” He asked. I looked over to him. “What did you tell the Princess?”

“I’m not sure exactly how I feel.” I finished off the last of my drink and ordered a cider, same as Alex was drinking. “I know I have affection for her, and as far as I can tell she at least feels the same way, but I’m not entirely sure if I truly love her or not. I’m still debating it, and hope to tell her my answer within the next few days.” I pulled out the bag Celestia gave me and emptied out a small pile of bits. “I’ll go ahead and start paying for myself.” The bartender nodded and scooped up the coins before passing me my mug and trotting back to the bar.

After about five rounds of cider, I started singing. “Oh, the year was 1778,”

“HOW I WISH I WAS IN SHERBROOKE NOW!” Alex sang suddenly as he slammed his mug on the table, catching me off guard. I looked at him with a smirk before continuing.

I hadn’t noticed at first but it seemed that everyone in the bar had decided to join in the chorus. As we ended the song, the patron around us began stomping their hooves as a form of applause. I couldn’t hold back my laughter as another mug of cider was passed to me.

“I have to ask, how do you know Barrett’s Privateers?” Alex asked. I waited till my laughter died down to answer.

“About Seven years back a guy named Reeve Jackson got pulled to Gaia by a Chaos Seed. Unlike Twilight though, he chose to stay, bringing with him his rather extensive knowledge of music from his world, which I guess is the same one you two come from, or at least one very similar.” They both nodded.

“Know any more songs?” Matt asked. I thought it over for a moment before nodding.

“Now Before I sing this next song, I’d like to make something clear.” I called out to the others in the bar. “As you can see, Alex, Matt and I all wear pants, the reason for this is that unlike ponies, we lack the natural ability to hide that particular part of our bodies.” The ponies nodded slowly, a few of the still sober ones blushing slightly. “Now with that in mind,” I grinned as I started singing.

By the time I was finished over half the bar had burst out in laughter. I received another round of applause as I returned to my seat once more. Eventually the noise died down to general chatter among friends. I talked with Alex and Matt for a while before Alex checked the clock on the wall and stood up.

“Think I’m gonna call it a night. Dash always worries about me when I’m not within arms reach.” He gave us a quick goodbye before heading out the door. I stared at the door for a second before turning back to Matt.

“Have to say, it’s good to get to know a bit about you.” I said while extending my hand towards him.

“Likewise.” He said, taking my hand and giving it a quick shake. In the few seconds his hand met mine, I felt a familiar spike of energy run through my hand.

I stared at him in shock as I spoke without thinking. “Your soul’s been damaged.” I said softly.

Matt shuddered as he withdrew his hand. “Doesn’t matter how drunk I get, I’m not talking about it.”

“I understand.” I said as I looked down at my drink. “Believe me, I understand all too well.” I muttered quietly. Matt gave no inclination that he heard me as we drifted into a grim silence.

Several minutes went by before I reached inside one of the pouches on my belt, feeling the storage pocket I had placed in it. “While you don’t wish to speak of it, I going to take a guess and say you’ve had nightmares, rather dark ones.” I pulled out a glass bottle containing about thirty or so white pills. Matt gave me a questioning look. “Suppressants, powerful ones. Lets just say I’ve been through a similar experience, went about three months before I sought help.” I picked up the bottle and looked it over. “These things made it so I wouldn’t suffer those damn nightmares anymore, I took them every night until about five months ago, when I managed to learn how to suppress my dreams without the aid of medicine.” I set them down in front of him. “Here, they should last about a month. If they work then let me know and I can make more.”

“No thanks.” Matt said. I stared at him for a moment before sighing and putting the pills away.

“Very well then.” I said as I rose from my seat. “I suppose I should be going as well, goodnight Matt.” He gave a nod in reply. I hesitated for a second before leaving, but then continued on my way. I know from experience it’s not a good idea to push matters, no telling what reaction I could get out of him

After a short walk under the light of the newly risen moon, I reached the library. I made my way to the bedroom and moved in beside Twilight, careful not to wake her. I laid there beside her for several minutes before sleep took over.

Author's Note:

Memverse canon note: ponies don’t get drunk off alcohol, they get drunk off salt, hence the “Virgin” part of the drink meaning that it has no salt.

Update: as with the festival chapter, edtied out the lyrics