• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 2,791 Views, 39 Comments

Angels and Demons - lunabrony



When a fall lands your everyday human in the hospital, visits from a strange equine creature propel him to adventures he never could have imagined.

  • ...
1
 39
 2,791

Questions and Answers

He connected, and there was a loud thud as something smacked against the wall. And then before his eyes, the strangest creature he'd ever seen began to appear. A hoof here, a claw there, a wing, an antler. None of it made absolutely any sense, and it was a moment before he realized it was all attached to the same creature, which drove him crazy. There was no rhyme or reason, no organized pattern, no sense to it. The creature was tall and slim, and distinctly feminine. She rubbed at her shoulder. "Well that wasn't very nice at all, Silver." She said with annoyance. "Can't even allow a girl her fun?"

"Who are you? Are you here to help or not? I don't...!" A sharp pang ended his protest and he struggled with his words, as the world blurred for a moment. Breathe deeply Silver. "I... huff... am not in the mood for this. Just, if you're here to help, help, if not, go. I've had enough bad news today, to be the object of ridicule and taunting from tricksters." At least that's what she looked like, and Hero With a Thousand Faces had been on the literature assignment in his high school. "Are you here to help?" He asked a little hopefully.

The creature approached him. "Am I here to help? Well I'm certainly not here to cause you misery." She said, and touched a talon to his horn. The pain receded instantly. "You really should get that looked at." She mused. "Heads will roll, otherwise." With that, she removed her head, and did exactly that, rolling it across the ground before it hit the wall and popped it back into place.

He felt like crawling under the covers somewhere. Somewhere deep and dark. In a nice room, with straight lines, and a bright noiseless, non flickering light. Healing his headache was at least a good thing. "Not an enemy then." Who was she? He looked her over, not much seemed to make sense. "Not a pony, can't be too many like you; Didn't see any or hear of any in the few books I flipped through on Equestria's population; Powerful, that trick of yours... powerful enough to be able to cross dimensions." Intelligence was a good thing, it made him feel less powerless all things considered. "Weren't sent here by Novaria, and you didn't come on your own unprodded, if you did why would you have come here? Ergo you were sent by Angel… I'm sorry I hit you then."

She sat on the table, floating one of his books in midair and spinning it in circles. "Nopony sent me, I'm here of my own accord. Nor do I know who Angel or Novaria are." She said. "I am here because I sensed an instability in your dimension, so I followed it, and lo and behold, here you are." She frowned. "You do realize you're a pony, right?" Really. He hadn't noticed.

Always something. "Ah alright, but then I'm not sorry." Humor helped, he'd need a lot of humor… and washing his hands a couple of times to withstand being with her all night. "Gee you've finally noticed, didn't take you as long as I had anticipated." He went down the stairs. He didn't care that he was a pony, or that he probably had a biology that belonged in a completely different universe. However if he was gonna do this he needed a special magical power unique to his world. Coffee. Did they have that in Equestria? Well his guest was gonna have her first cup. Levitation made the preparations easier. "What do you give unexpected visitors?" He asked her rhetorically, following the commercial for the brand of coffee they had. See if she liked receiving non sequitors as much as she liked passing them out. He realized something.. he'd talked to Novaria about one of their villains as a comparison to humans… "Discord! No.. you're not him, but similar?" He started the coffee maker.

The strange girl tapped him playfully on the head. "I'm a draconequus, and yes, I know Discord. We went out a few times, but he's a little... eccentric, for my taste." She said with amusement. "We're still good friends, however." She took hold of his hoof, and shook it feverishly. "I'm Alicia. Whoops!" She grinned, his right front leg had completely come off in her grip, like the arm of an action figure. She was trying to cheer him up, a relief from the sour day he'd been having thus far. "So how come you're still a pony? I don't think your species will take too kindly to that. Of course you could always pass as a regular pony and live in a stable, but I really don't think you'd want to do that. Similarly, coming out as a talking blue horse really isn't all that smart either."

The arm detached unceremoniously with a little comical plop. All common sense would make anyone expecting a huge jet of blood gushing out from the main artery. A part of him kinda wished it had, if only to shock the creature who called herself Alicia. He shook visible, he needed a drink of something strong. Two cups floated down, and the blackish and enormously strong coffee was poured into them. He floated one over to her. "I have a right to keep and bear arms you know... so hand it back."

Alicia looked absolutely delighted. "But of course, you absolutely have the right to bear arms!" She snapped her claws, and not only did his front leg snap back into place, but his front legs were covered in shaggy brown fur and ended in massively clawed paws. Alicia grinned widely. "I do love wordplay!" She teased. Well she was quite... interesting, to say the least.

He blinked, looked down, drained the entire cup of coffee in one gulp. Rinsed it, soaped it, rinsed it, soaped it, rinsed and put it back on the rack. Looked down to see the bear like legs still there and, well they weren't human toes, but indulged himself and kneaded and flexed them all the same. "Haven't been to do that for a couple of days." This was a good sign. At least he hoped so. "You do transformations? And no, to answer your earlier question I don't know why I remained a pony. I figured Angel might have forgotten, she was a bit out of it, emotionally." He wouldn't have put it against her for a second.

Alicia grinned, and settled back in a chair. Another snap of her claws, and his regular hooves returned. "My dear, I do EVERYTHING." She said. "I try to practice more moderation than Discord, however, as I don't get the same thrill he does taking over cities." She said. "If you don't mind my saying so, I MIGHT know why you're stuck as a pony. You used to be... what are you called... humans, right?"

"Yes.." He said and quickly corrected. "I used to be one human." Just to be sure that she didn't turn him into a flock. The thought of that made him uneasy on his feet. He felt like washing his hands three times. He scratched the underside of the counter. He stood more easily on the pony legs, than on the ursine limbs. "Why do you think it happened?"

Alicia looked him over, her arms crossed. She seemed fairly kind, though not as in control of herself as Angel was. She was more unrestricted. "Honestly?" She asked, and pointed a talon at the mark on his flank. "That."

"My cutie mark?" He asked skeptically. Part of him was surprised it had made the journey at all. No, Angel had had a cutie mark on her even when she was on Earth. It was a mark he had gotten for unlocking puzzles. Somehow it meant he couldn't go. "Why?"

"Multiple theories, but that is all they are, are theories, unless you have a better suggestion. First, you have a lock. I don't know what your talent is, but locks not only unlock things, they lock things, so perhaps metaphorically you have locked yourself into being a pony. Secondly, cutie marks are reserved for ponies who discover their destiny. So, perhaps... you have discovered part of your destiny is to remain a pony." She offered, summoning a monocle, pipe, and teacup, and sipping from the latter. "Elementary, my dear Watson."