• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 3,984 Views, 75 Comments

Mac's Daring Dash - SparityLoveisForever



Big Mac finds him self in the middle of Winter Wrap Up with mixed feeling for a lavender, bookish, unicorn mare, and a prismatic maned, cyan, pegasus, mare.

  • ...
18
 75
 3,984

Prologue: Bridges

Prologue: Bridges

First hooves beat causing to leaves fall to the ground; secondly costumes come around on a night of nightmares, and finally snow begins to descend around a warm hearth encompassed by friends. Big Macintosh knew he wasn't the smartest pony in Ponyville, yet, he always knew he had received more schooling than either of his sisters had. His sisters seemed to have more friends than he ever did. Big Mac had seen one of his sister's friends in a new light, for a moment when she was hurt earlier that year. He hadn't really thought much about Miss Dash, a cyan Pegasus with a rainbow mane and tail, and magenta eyes, she was a good friend of his sister. While he finished wrapping a gift for a lavender unicorn whom he had already taken a shine to, an image of the cyan Pegasus resting in the hospital with her rainbow mane just across her face was stuck in his mind. The gift he had spent most of his spare time on this year was fixing up a certain lost doll for Miss Sparkle, a lavender unicorn. He thought it would make a great Hearths Warming gift for her, and hopefully lead to something more between the two of them. Still the image of Miss Dash remained on his mind while he was getting the cart ready to go into town.

The wielders of Elements of Harmony, a group of six friends, this group set about to have a big Hearths Warming's Day party with their families in Golden Oaks Library. Twilight had tasked Spike to deliver the invitations she made. Spike had brought Rarity the invitations for her and her family personally first. Her father was likely to complain about the use of taxes for said parties, government issue Timberwolves, and other conspiracies. Twilight's parents were the first to respond and arrived from Canterlot a week early. Even Shining Armor and Princess Cadence said they would be able to arrive from the Crystal Empire.

Next, Spike brought invites to Pinkie Pie and the Cakes. He noticed that there was one pony at Sugarcube Corner not on the guest list. Soarin, the Wonderbolt, had taken the week off to spend the holiday with Pinkie. Spike noticing the problem, quickly took out a quill and quickly added the words, “plus one,” to Pinkie's invite. He finished by giving the twins their invites on the way out Spike smiled, seeing Pinkie move to kiss Soarin under some mistletoe. The next pony on Spike's list was Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow Dash had been throwing herself at her weather duty only to come home immediately when she finished her shift. Stunt-flying just didn't have the same thrill for her anymore seeming to having gone bland for some reason. Rainbow Dash would never admit it, but the thought that her primary Wonderbolt contact was now in love with one of her best friends had taken a toll on her. She would also never say it, but she had lost her parents at a young age it was the reason she usually spent Hearths Warming day alone. This year looked to be one of the coldest she had experienced in a long time. Rainbow was just about to rest and relax, clear her mind with the weather done for the day.

Suddenly, Spike called out her, “Hey, Rainbow Dash! You're invited to a big Hearts Warming Day party Twilight is throwing, with Pinkie's help of course.”

Rainbow sighed knowing she wouldn't get any more relaxation until she answered, she had almost purposely forgotten Twilight had set something big up this year. She responded a moment later. “Yeah, sure thing Spike, I'll be there. Leave the invite in the mailbox and I'll get it later.”

Spike shrugged his shoulders putting the invite in the box, then continuing on his way. Dropping off Fluttershy's invitation was uneventfull. He continued on to Sweet Apple Acres. He slowly approached the fences of the fields and made his way quickly to the front door once inside the farm. He knocked gently waiting to see if there was to be a response from inside. All he could hear was the sound of Granny Smith snoozing the afternoon away. He put the invites inside the screen-door, figuring they would get to Applejack and her family once they finished working for the day. Upon finishing, Spike headed back to the library, starting to think about what he still had to finish wrapping for the holiday.

Big Mac was the first one to find the invites, as a result of finishing his long list of chores before either of his sisters. The invites were really more of a reminder since his sister and her friends had been discussing the party for weeks in advance. He figured the party would only make things easier with trying to tell Twilight his feelings. His father had always told him to make every word count, and he was going to try his hardest to tell her how he felt. Hopefully the gift would just be icing on the cake. The more he thought about it, the more anxious he became. This was really the first female who had actually garnered his attentions. Miss Sparkle was bright, kind, and a worrier at times. Big Mac could imagine a great and wonderful life with Miss Sparkle, yet the image of Miss Dash resting in hospital bed returned to interrupt his placid view of the future with Twilight.

~~~~Later~~~~

The party was bright, colorful, and loud. Pinkie had Vinyl Scratch playing all the carols at full blast. There was food in astounding quantities, mountains of presents, and more than a few hanging sets of mistletoe. When the Apple's had arrived, everypony was already there. Big Mac unloaded the cart of gifts AJ had brought, only adding to the overwhelming quantities of boxes inside the library. Big Mac had kept the one he was giving to Twilight in his hooves. The party went on and the sun was just starting to set as they started to open gifts from one another.

As the gift opening wore on, the full boxes were now empty stacked in teetering piles up against the walls of the library. Some still had a few personal gifts they felt would be better saved for last. The first of these special gifts was a golden pocket watch with an inscription on the top that read, “B.B.B.F.F.*” Inside the flip top was an image of Shining Armor and Twilight hugging from their childhood. This gift elicited a big hug from the siblings and an “Awwww” from their parents.

Spike had walked over to a side of the main room with Rarity, when he pulled out his gift for her. The white box wrapped with a purple ribbon, was slowly pulled apart and opened by Rarity's blue magic aura. Inside the box was a sparkling pearly pure white dragon diamond, it was just under the length of one side of the box. The white baguette cut diamond was set in a golden backed pendant, however the remarkable thing was the three brilliantly blue princess cut diamonds set into the white diamond. It gave the appearance of her cutiemark to the already incredible gemstone. Rarity moved in to hug the young dragon holding him closely for a moment, suddenly she realized they were under a batch of mistletoe. She then proceeded to give Spike a very big, slow, gentle kiss on the lips. She didn't let it last too long. Spike fell over when she let go of his body. He had just gotten the best gift ever and he would never forget it.

While Spike was giving his gift to Rarity, Soarin and Pinkie exchanged few personal gifts of their own. Soarin had given Pinkie a crystal balloon shaped pendant filled with liquid rainbow, telling her it could remind her of him while he was away. She was awestruck at the pendant she promised to wear it every day. Their exchange ended when Pinkie handed him a Pink Pie, and told him that he'd get her special gift much later. She finished by kissing him deeply, holding him closely, while he returned the affections of his sweet pink marefriend. Rainbow Dash could only gag at all the mushy stuff happening, primarily a defense against not having someone for herself.

Last but not least, Big Mac moved over to Twilight and handed her a very simply wrapped gift box. She was about to ask what it was for, but he just silenced her gently with a wave of his hoof saying, “Open it, Miss Sparkle.”

Twilight proceeded to do so. Reaching in with her lavender magic she pulled out the small gray doll inside. She couldn't believe it. It was her Smarty Pants doll, yet, it looked brand new. The eye was sewn back into place, the few strands missing from its mane were replaced, and even the patch on its hoof was fixed. Twilight looked down at the doll, and then up to Big Mac saying,“I thought I had lost her after I enchanted her. You... you fixed her up? Mac, I... I... Don't know what to say.”

Twilight proceeded to move to give the big stallion a hug. Mac looked down at her putting a hoof around her shoulder he said in a gentle tone, “You could say you'll be my special somepony.”

Twilight Sparkle was completely shocked at this statement. She couldn't believe her ears, neither could most of her friends and family who had been listening. Big Mac wanted her as his special somepony, Twilight was dazed by the situation before her. Her brain tried to explain the reasoning behind the set of events, yet it just did not add up. She knew she'd have to say something, but what if she said the wrong thing. Would Applejack hate her? She gulped before looking up at the big red earth pony she pulled back from him some saying, “I... This is just so sudden Big Mac. I'm not really sure I'm at a point in my life where I want a special somepony... The gift is a wonderful gesture that you think so highly of my friendship. I just don't think I'm ready for that right now.”

Big Mac had bared his heart in front of a lot of ponies, and she had just cast it back into his face. He turned from her and trotted out into the snow leaving a silence to the party behind him. His heart was beating with pain and anguish as he tore across the landscape leaving the party behind and home in front. He needed something familiar. He ran past the gate he charged full bore at the first tree to the west. He pivoted perfectly, even in the snow and his back-hooves collided with the trunk of the tree, and caused a rift straight across the trunk of the tree. Like a wild stallion he did this in succession heading deeper and deeper into the west fields. He had broken several trees before he was only kicking the snow out of them. Each buck was filled with a solitary thought, 'Nope, not good enough!' He was tiring so when the snow was about to fall on the last tree rather than run out he stayed letting the snow envelop him in a blanket of white.

The snow piled around Big Mac eased the anger in his head and heart. The scene played back in his mind again and again, as he tried to find just went wrong. His anger continued slowly subsiding, as sadness was beginning to taking hold. The snow started to make him feel safe, much like his mother's hooves around his body. He knew he'd likely get an earful from his sister when he got back, but right now he didn't care about that. A single tear slid down his cheek and fell into the snow.

Applejack hadn't heard what was said, as she had been engaged in a heated discussion with Rainbow Dash. After seeing her brother turn from Twilight and move out into the night, Applejack moved over to Twilight. Then Applejack started to yell, “What the hay is going on Twilight?! Why did mah brother just leave alone?!”

Twilight did her best to explain things to Applejack. Twilight was also very upset at how the confrontation had ended, as she was sniffling through her explanation. 'We hardly even know each other. How hard could he have taken it?' thought Twilight. Then she looked down over the gift again taking in the time and care that went into the restoration of the doll. Down to the last detail Smarty Pants had been brought back to her better than she had taken care of it in the first place. She realized that her statements had been more stamping over his heart, than any sort of let's slow down a little. Twilight's explanation to Applejack came to a close with, “It was a really sweet gift, Applejack. I'm just not ready for a relationship. I can't just promise myself to somepony special, even your brother. Not without knowing I'd be able to return the affection I was being given.”

“Who're ya'll trying to convince, Twi?” Applejack looked back at Twilight with a stare that bored into her. While Applejack waited for a response Twilight shifted about nervously, and then darted up to her bed.

The rest of the Party was silent as ponies started to make their ways back home; Spike offered to walk Rarity home. She accepted happily. Twilight, her parents, her brother, and his wife, Cadence, were soon the only ponies left in the library. Cadence went up to Twilight's room in the library using her magic to open the door. Twilight looked over at Cadence who had come to comfort her saying, “W... Was I wrong Cadence?”

Princess Cadence, the Princess of Love and the Crystal Empire, looked down at Twilight Sparkle putting her hoof on her shoulder saying, “You did nothing wrong, Twilight. Rejection by someone you idolize should be something you're slightly familiar with though.” Cadence smiled knowingly as she rubbed her sister-in-law's shoulder.

The scene flashed back through Twilight's eyes as she suddenly realized what she had done. Her doll had been hoof stitched to an almost brand new condition, Big Mac had clearly worked on it in all his spare time just for her. The more she thought about it, the worse she felt about just telling him off like she had. She could have been gentler, but it was too late for that now. She couldn't even go out and search for him. The trail would've gone cold by now.

Applejack shook her head at Twilight's silence. She wanted to make sure Big Mac was going to be alright before morning, so she asked if Rainbow Dash would help her look for him. Applejack and Rainbow Dash were the first two out of Golden Oaks Library after Big Mac, following his trail in the snow. Tracking the trail it back to Sweet Apple Acres where it disappeared. There was just too much activity in the snow to accurately follow the tracks around the farm. Noticing this Applejack said,“Ah'll, check the house. Rainbow, go check if you can see any thin' out of the ordinary in the fields.”

Rainbow Dash mock-saluted being given the more difficult job, but from up above the orchard she could see things Applejack couldn't. She noticed something out of the ordinary in the direction of the west fields. There were a set of big trees that were snapped like twigs at the base. Further on there was a larger number of trees in a row that had large snow banks under them. She started to follow the new trail in hopes it would lead her to Big Mac. The cold night air rushed over her feathers, as she moved through the trees with speed and precision. Rainbow Dash finally came to the last tree in the line and didn't see any hoof-prints leaving the final snow mound.

She moved up in-front of it, brushing off some of the snow from the top of the mound, soon revealing the head of the big red earth pony who had his eyes closed. His red coat not yet discolored by the downright near-freezing temperatures. She looked at him, shouting,“Oh!... Big Mac! Wake up! Please, wake up! Wa...”

Her yelling was stopped suddenly by a big red hoof coming up to her mouth. Big Mac opened his eyes. It wasn't Miss Sparkle, it was Miss Dash. It surprised him that she would be the one to find him in his slow steady drawl, he said, “Ah'd have been back at the farm-house within the hour, Miss Dash. Ah just needed some time to myself. Ah'm going to remove my hoof from your mouth. Please don't yell any more. Ah can hear ya just fine. Anyways I'm going to get more than earful from AJ.” He lowered his hoof slowly. The now brokenhearted stallion looking over at the mare who had gave him pause about being with Miss Sparkle. The inner attraction increasing with this time near her.

Rainbow Dash let out a sigh of relief that he wasn't frozen to death. Lowing her tone, she said gently, “You really had us worried Big Mac, I know AJ is going to give you a hard time about this. I just want you to know, if you need to talk about it; I know what it's like have a crush, crush you.” She let out another sigh thinking about what could have been with Soarin. She looked over at the big red stallion, noticing the strength of his fore-hooves for what seemed like the first time.

Big Mac looked into her magenta eyes with his own deep green eyes, before saying, “Miss Dash, a stallion should always be clear with his feelings, and I'm sorry somepony left you in a world of hurt. Maybe that was the problem with Miss Twilight one part of me always was unsure about her. Ah guess Ah'm really self-defeating at times. Especially when all any pony thinks Ah can say is 'Eeyup', or 'Nope.'... ”

“No pony. Ever thought you were dumb, Big Mac. I certainly didn't. I would ask. Could you just call me Rainbow or Dash? Miss Dash was my mom at best, but I never really got to know her...” She trailed off on the thought. Her dad had told her since she was young that she was the reason her mom was dead. She hadn't seen him in years, because she didn't want to.

The large red earth pony moved to give the slightly smaller Pegasus pony a gentle hug. A daunting task given his impressive strength, yet, he managed to make both fore-hooves around the Pegasus feel like just a warm blanket. He said in his simple tone, “Dash, if you ever want to talk about it, you can come to me. Ah know the feeling of losing family members. Ah know it's hard for Apple Bloom sometimes. She never got to know Ma and Pa. Ah can only imagine what it's like being an only child going through that.”

His steady simple tone, the words strong and comforting, with the warmth of his big barrel chest had warmed Rainbow Dash inside and out. So much so that she was starting to blush a bit. Not wanting to spoil the moment she nuzzled her head against his gently, saying,“We should really get back to the farm-house before we both freeze...”

“Eeyup, but AJ can wait a little longer, Ah like being right here with you,”Big Mac held the hug a moment longer before he picked up Rainbow Dash putting her on his back. He knew Pegasi had wing problems in extremely colder weather. In the time they had talked, the night had worn on it was almost midnight and the temperatures were much colder than the start of the night. He brought her back to the farm-house, putting her in the guest room, regardless of her protest.

When he got to his bedroom the light was out. After walking through the door Applejack flicked on the lamp at his nightstand. He sighed and shifted his neck, stretching it out a bit, before saying in an audible whisper,“We've gotta guest tonight, AJ. Granny Smith and Apple Bloom are likely already asleep. So do you think you hold off hollering at your big brother for being a stupid lovesick pony till morning?”

Applejack hated when the truth was used against her, and just stared back up at her big brother saying, “Fine... But ya best turn your flanks around and get to sleeping on the couch until you apologize to Twilight, ya big dummy.”

“Can Ah get my blanket and pillow? Unless o'course ya like smelling like a stallion in the morning.”Upon finishing his statement, he received a blanket rolled around a pillow to the face; which he grabbed before it hit the floor and took downstairs. Maybe he'd leave early to apologize to Twilight so he wouldn't have to hear his sister's loud voice in the morning either. His eyes closed his mind at ease for the first time all night as he drifted into slumber-land.

Dreams over took Big Mac's mind that night. A set of three orange apples and a lavender star were giving him a long speech about the right way to approach a mare for courtship. Suddenly a rainbow came down from the heavens and saying,“Let's get out of here. These two are boring.” He wasn't sure what to do, but since the rainbow was at his feet, he decided to take his chances. He started to run up the steady incline of the rainbow. He was slightly shocked as his hooves ran along the rainbow like it was the ground. Neither the apples or the star could follow. It was like the rainbow was only made for his hooves to run on. Soon he was running through the sky looking over all of Ponyville. It was an amazing view, and now he could understand why Pegasi loved to fly. He was about to ask the rainbow why it helped him, when a batch of storm-clouds over took the two.

Author's Note:

(A/N)
I want it to be clear the name of this chapter is, “Bridges,” is for the purpose of bridging the time gap between the two stories. This Big Mac's perspective for the most part so there are going to gaps that aren't filled because he wasn't there to witness the events. When I am having other ponies or dragon perspectives I feel they're relevant to the story. I'm a firm believer in the Big Mac that has one word responses because ponies don't ask him questions that need bigger responses. He can speak at length about things if he wants to, and he's a bit more vocal around his family than anypony else. Also he's much smarter than AJ when it comes to fancy mathematics. What could be the implications of his dream? Is this the last of Mac and Twilight's chances to be together? Will Pinkie Pie and Soarin stop having PDA's through the story? All this and possibly more in the next chapter. *: Big Brother Best Friend Forever. Twilight calls Shining Armor this multiple times at the end of season two.