• Published 18th Feb 2013
  • 1,229 Views, 6 Comments

A Polarizing Revelation - RamenWolf1485



Twilight Sparkle... Unicorn, Librarian... Mother?!

  • ...
5
 6
 1,229

Chapter 2

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.

The lavender mare stirred in her bed.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.

She turned herself over, “Five more minutes, Spike…”

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing. Riiiiiiiiiiiiii-BANG.

A lavender hoof had come mercilessly down upon the poor alarm clock. The figure in the bed stirred, and rose. Twilight’s mane was a disheveled mess, probably from tossing and turning all night… ugh what a night.

Twilight looked down at the now smashed clock, and with a quick CRACK, repaired it with her magic. She then stretched out her body, forelegs first, then rear legs… and lastly, wing-… oh, right, no more wings. Oh, well. She was happy it was two less appendages to stretch.

She looked over at the crib nearby her bed, where Polaris was still sleeping softly. Didn’t seem like he stirred at all during the night. The sight of the snoozing foal brought a smile to Twilight's face. With a groggy yawn, she picked up the clock to examine the time.

“7:46AM?!” She stared dumbstruck at the clock, “OH NO! The train to Ponyville leaves in 14 minutes! Oh, nononononono…” She leapt out of her bed and started piling all her belongings into one single suitcase, which she had modified before-hoof to fit anything, that way she wouldn’t have to lug around so much luggage like Rarity.

She gently lifted Polaris out of his crib and put on her foalcarrier at the same time. She ended up putting her suitcase in the foalcarrier and Polaris on her back. She started galloping out the door when she heard a small “Mommy…” She looked over her shoulder and giggled. How could she mix that up? She switched Polaris into the foalcarrier and the suitcase to her back, and trotted down the hall quickly.


The navy-blue alicorn arose from her bed. She stretched out every part of her body and shook her mane into place, before hitting the floor and trotting over to the closet, and pulling out a dark-blue robe. After tying it to herself, she trotted down to her sister’s room.

“Tia?” Being a Princess of the night, Luna spent most of it outdoors, observing her stars and making sure nopony messed with the moon, however unlikely that would be.

“Princess Luna… surprising to see you up this early. One would think a Princess of the Night would sleep most of the day, but you continue to surprise me.” Celestia stood looking out her balcony towards the train depot.

“Something in my mind told me that my sister was worried about something.” Luna trotted over to her sister, “Now, what be the matter, dear sister?”

“Twilight…” She sighed.

“Is this about her foal? The one that shares the name with our late nephew?”

“How did…”

“You forget, I am a Princess of the night. I can enter a pony’s dreams. Last night Twilight was dreaming of what her friends might think of her and her foal. Tis’ not a pleasant dream.” Luna looked to her sister.

“…So she’s still unsure.” She sighed again, “I should have known… but why keep it a secret for so long? Surely somepony picked up on it.”

“Even we do not know why she would hide him. Maybe it was fear of rejection…”

“She did mention something about an uproar in Equestrian society if it got out she had a foal out of wedlock with a member of the royal family…”

“That, indeed would bring up an uproar.” Luna looked out the window, “Do you think that maybe she was afraid you wouldn’t accept her growing up?”

“W-what?”

“Tia… you have been nothing but a mother to young Twilight. She looks to you not only as her mentor but as a mother figure.”

“But, I…”

“Yes, you are not the young mare’s actual mother. But that did not stop you from raising her like you would your own.” She turned back to her, “Twilight understands this, it seems. If you had a daughter get heavy with foal at a young age, wouldn’t you be mad? Even if it was that foal’s choice?”

“Well… Uh…”

“She was afraid you would reprimand her for a decision she chose on her own. She wanted to keep this foal, so she did. Even in the absence of his father, she managed to find a ground to stand on and push forward.”

“…Luna.”

“Tia… How much did it hurt for Twilight Sparkle to relinquish her position as Princess alongside you and I?”

“…How… you entered my dreams.”

“Indeed I did. After exiting young Twilight’s dream I took a look into yours. What I saw worried me. You seemed… depressed. Not knowing what was going right or wrong. You looked at Twilight like the daughter you haven’t had. Seeing her with foal made you realize she was grown now. She could make her own decisions. And you had a hard time accepting that… I saw the memory that appeared in your dream… where you reverted Twilight back to what she used to be, a unicorn. That seemed to hurt more than anything. And I think I know why.”

“…Really?”

Luna nodded, “Like most mothers, they want their foals to follow in their hoofsteps… While this is not true for all mothers, it is for a lot. And you wanted Twilight to be able to follow in your hoofsteps and be a Princess alongside us. But that simple dream shattered when she asked to be relinquished of her own duties as Princess Twilight Sparkle. You couldn’t bring to bear that she was grown now, able to make her own decisions… and not rely on another pony’s decision for her.”

“…Luna you’re a psychiatrist.” She giggled, “Well… I guess you’re right…” She sighs, “I wanted Twilight to become what I wanted her to be… I never took into account what she really wanted… Now I know… I sound so foolish.”

“You are not foolish, dear sister. You just looked at it from a mother’s perspective. Now, can you accept Twilight’s fate?”

“…I… I think I can.” She bent down and hugged her younger sister, “Thank you, Luna…”

Luna smiled and hugged back, “’Tis was sisters are for, Tia.” She broke off the hug and nudged her, “I think you have a train to catch. If you are as interested in her foal as your next dream put forth… I’d go and try to find out about him for myself.”

“Oh… that… sounds good, Luna. You can hold things down here, right?”

“But of course.”

“Ok… I’m off.” She quickly straightened out her mane and rushed out the door, before peaking back in, “Oh, and ummm… forget that last dream I had…”

“The one that included Starswirl the Bearded?”

“…yes.” She blushed.

“Forgotten.” She chuckled, oh the dreams her sister would dream…

“Thanks, Luna…” She rushed back down the hall.


A particular sky-blue pegasus waited at the train depot. He kept pacing back and forth, waiting on somepony to show up. He checked his watch. Huh, not long until the train departed. But where was she? He finally sat down on a bench, convinced they were going to miss the train. He took his black and gold-rimmed Stetson off and laid it aside, letting his purple-white-purple mane flow freely for a few. He looked up towards the Castle and noticed a purple dot coming in quickly.

The pegasus slapped his hat back on and stood up, “TWILIGHT! HURRY UP! WE’RE GONNA MISS- OOF!” He fell backwards as the mare teleported and accidentally teleported on top of him.

“OH, I’m so sorry, Cale! I didn’t mean-“

“Save it, Twi, the train is about to leave! C’mon, I already paid your ticket.” Calecune grabbed her hoof and hurried the mare and foal onto the train just as the doors shut magically behind them

“Oh goodness… I thought I was going to be late…” Twilight sat her suitcase down on the nearest bench and put little Polaris down as well. Polaris took to looking out the window as the train lurched forwards, causing Cale to fall over.

“Ow… I swear…” He got back up and dusted himself off, “Ok, you grab everything? I notice the wings are gone. Guess she took it well?”

“Mmmhmm. She took it better than I had thought she would… Now to focus on how to tell my friends.”

“Ick. Well, good luck there, Twi.” He smiled at her, “I’m gonna go get some food, need anything from there?”

“A daffodil and daisy sandwich, please.” She glanced over at Polaris who was intrigued by the scenery outside.

“Alrighty, be back in a few.” He trotted over to the door and opened it, stepping out and into the next car, right as Rick Coltsley’s “Never Gonna Give You Up” came on the train’s speakers. “OH COME ON!” he grumbled to himself.

Twilight giggled, knowing that the song had an adverse effect on Cale. She looked over to Polaris to make sure he was ok, and smiled knowing that him being able to finally get out and see the world was piquing his interests. She reached over and grabbed her suitcase, opening it and beginning to dig through it.

She was so busy digging through the case, she never noticed a familiar white alicorn sit down beside her, “Twilight. Lose something?”

She popped her head out and nearly gasped, “P-princess Celestia? W-why are you here?” She hadn’t a clue why the Princess would follow her. After all she already gave her reasons to why she wanted to not be a princess, and had relinquished her position. Was it possible Celestia had regrets and was going to force it back onto her??

“Don't worry Twilight. I’m not here on royal business nor am I here to turn you back. I know now that this was your decision.”

“Well, why follow me, then?”

“I wanted to learn more about your foal” She said calmly.

“Well…” She glanced over at Polaris. Oh good, still occupied by the passing scenery, “What do you want to know, Princess?”

“Memories, experiences… I want to see how this adorable little colt has fared over the course of his life… that and I want to see how good of a mother you are. And the trip to Ponyville is quite a long one, so this would be nice…” She smiled at Twilight.

“Uh… Ok, here…” She reached into her suitcase and pulls out a large photo album. She opens it to a picture of Cale in a burn treatment center.

“Uh… Twilight. This isn’t Polaris.”

“I know, but just listen…”


Cale strolled into the kitchen, “Hey Twi, Misty sent over some homemade muffins for ya…” he sat the tray of muffins on the table.

“Thanks, Cale!”

“Thank her, not me. Hey, whatcha doing?” He wandered over to where she was, “Boiling water for tea?”

“Yup. I’ve taken up drinking a lot of tea lately.”

Both were oblivious to the fact that the teapot was being levitated off the stove and rising above them.

“I love tea, 'specially when it’s-HOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! YOWCH!” Cale jumped in the air and started screaming in pain as the teapot poured its boiling hot contents all over him.

“CALE! Oh my gosh!” The teapot crashed to the ground and she looked over at Polaris, who was giggling like mad, “Polaris Sparkle!” He snapped to attention and his ears drooped, he knew he was in trouble.

Cale, on the other hoof, was in pain. The water had landed on his rear, and he was running around the room like crazy.

Twilight grabbed Polaris and rushed Cale to Ponyville Urgent Care where he was treated for second degree burns on his flank. Not a good day for the stallion, as he was out of work for 2 weeks after that.


“Was he ok?” Celestia became concerned.

“Yeah, he recovers quickly. That was back when Polaris was still really young, so he didn’t know it was wrong.”

“That's nice to hear. Who is Misty?”

“Cale’s wife. Misty Fly of the Wonderbolts.”

“Darn right she is!” Cale had wandered back into the car carrying a couple daffodil and daisy sandwiches.

“Cale!” Twilight exclaimed, taking one of the sandwiches with her magic.

Cale did a double-take at the regal alicorn sitting in their booth. “Oh, uh… h-hello your Highness…” Cale bowed to Celestia.

“No need to bow, Calecune.” She giggled, “I’m not on royal duty.”

“Oh, ok, thanks…” She stood back up and sat beside them, “Aw nuts, does this mean you want some food too, Princess?”

“Please, just call me Celestia.” She looked to him, “And no thanks, I’m fine.”

“'aight, just let me know if ya do…” He pulled out a book on the Wonderbolts and sat on the bench beside Twilight.

Twilight turns to another page in the book, showing a cake, “This was Polaris’ first birthday!”

“That cake sure looks good…” Celestia licks her lips.

“Misty made it for him. Polaris was still a secret to everypony but me, Cale, and Cale’s family.” She sighed.

“Must be hard hiding something like your own son from the public eye… How in Equestria did you manage to do that when your friends were over?”

“Well, Polaris spent a lot of time at Cale’s. I hired Cale as his foalsitter for a while. He has 8 foals of his own, and he said one more wouldn’t hurt, so I hired him, even though he said I didn't need to pay him.”

“I still can’t believe… 8 foals?! How does he stand it?”

"We manage" Cale said without looking up from his book.

“Wow… I’m going to have to meet them soon…”

Twilight giggled as she turned another page, “This was taken when I first tried to give him a bath. It took the combined efforts of me, Cale, and his 2 oldest sons, Lightnin’ Bolt and Sparks, just to get him in the water!” The picture showed the 5 ponies trying to push a struggling Polaris into the tub.

Celestia laughed, “Oh how fun that must have been!”

“Took us about an hour and by then all the water had gone cold!” They both laughed.

Cale just looked at the pair and shook his head, chuckling, “Mares.” He said, returning to his book.

Twilight and Celestia continued going through the picture book, laughing and carrying on like two best friends reading another’s private journal, with Celestia asking questions and Twilight answering them, mostly about Polaris. But then they got into mane care, taking care of your tail, all things that made poor Cale fall asleep. Celestia and Twilight were having the time of their lives… Then the train came to a slow stop.

“Are we there already? Wow. Time really does fly when you’re having fun!” Twilight giggled.

“Twilight, I haven’t laughed this much since Luna started trying to use the indoor plumbing after reverting from Nightmare Moon!” She chuckled.

“Glad we could do this, Princess!”

“The pleasure is all mine, Twilight.” She got up, “Now, would you mind showing me to the library? I’d like to see this amazing young foal’s living quarters.”

“Of course!” She exclaimed, “Polaris, Cale! We’re home!”

Cale jumped up almost immediately, “WE’RE HOME? OH YES!” He grabbed his book and bag and jetted out of the car.

“Well that escalated quickly.” Twilight giggled, “Must be missing his family. No worries… Polaris, sweetie… come to momma.”

Polaris quickly jumped onto her back from the seat, and the three of them exited the train, much to the shock of some of the ponies waiting at the station. Course when you’re a Princess, it just draws that kind of attention.

“Ummm… Celestia?”

“Yes, Twilight?”

“…Wouldn’t you need your guards?”

“Well, under normal circumstances, yes. But I am in the presence of one very powerful unicorn.” She smiled warmly.

“Who would tha-… OH!” She giggled, “Thank you, Princess.”

The two started off from the station, giggling every now and again at the reactions of some of the ponies to seeing their Princess trotting through town, a lot of them bowing at her sight, and a few too dumbstruck to even remember. Finally, they reached the library, and Twilight pulled out her key.

“I dunno why I locked up the place… Well, Spike has a spare so I guess it’s alright.”

The pair trotted in, and everything was pitch black, “Ugh… Spike forgot to turn the lights on…” She used her magic to flip the switch.

“SURPRIIIIIIIIIIIISE!” Yelled an entire crowd of ponies… all of them Twilight’s friends. Above them a large banner that said “CONGRATULATIONS PRINCESS TWILIGHT SPARKLE “And had a crudely drawn picture of an alicorn Twilight, probably done by the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

“Oh… crap.”

Author's Note:

Welp... another week, another chapter... damn im liking this for a change. Anyways. no hate mail please, constructive criticism welcome, though.