• Published 26th Jan 2012
  • 1,710 Views, 90 Comments

A Change of Weather in Ponyville - MLPDavester



A unicorn from the town of Manehatten is accepted to Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns.

  • ...
4
 90
 1,710

Ch.14 - The Summer Sun Celebration

I am deeply sorry to everyone for the lack of an update in the last...two weeks, my god...but things backed up. I have now forced a few things around in my schedule so that I can still manage an update for all of you fantastic readers. I hope people found some other good stories to read and such while I was away, and I hope you all enjoy my story's continued progression into more OCs appearances. Happy reading! :twilightsmile:

~Ponyville Town Hall, Day of the Summer Sun Celebration~

“Twilight, knock it off!” Maghus whined as Twilight and her friends continued to focus on him after the previous day’s events. It had only been a few hours since he had left the hospital with the rest of them, and already nearly all of Ponyville knew about what he had done. All Maghus wanted now was to get the celebration over with and then head back to the treehouse and sleep. He hadn’t really had a chance to relax since he had left Canterlot, and the constant running about doing things was beginning to wear on him.

“But you’ve got that terrible scar on your chest from what you did to help us, darling!” Rarity of all ponies couldn’t help but draw attention to the scar that clashed so openly with Maghus’ dark blue coat. “At least let me make you a jacket or a vest of something that at least works better for your complexion to cover it with!”

“If it’ll get you all to stop fussing over me then I’ll do anything!” Maghus practically yelled as he quickly searched for a way to stop all of the attention he was receiving. “Just please give me some time to relax. I need to just sit down and take a breather right now. You’ve all been practically smothering me over one simple thing.”

“Simple? Ain’t nothin’ simple ‘bout what you did for ma’ family, Maghus.” Applejack stated pointedly as the other nodded their heads in agreement. “You stopped a storm that woulda forced us to leave town and move on to someplace else to make a livin’. You deserve some respect righ’ now.”

“Yeah!” Pinkie exclaimed as they all gave their own praises to Maghus. “You came to Ponyville like ‘Hi!’ and then you were all ‘Bam!’ Stopping the storm and everything from wrecking Ponyville. You deserve like a…a Hero-of-Ponyville-Party!” Pinkie squealed as she thought about all of the decorations she would need for the party she already had planned earlier that day unbeknownst to the rest of her friends.

“That’s fine, whatever. I just wanna relax right now. Please.” Maghus gave a defeated sigh as the others nodded their heads in contemplation of what they would each do to thank Maghus in their own way. Maghus silently excused himself for the cider bar while they talked about vests and apple treats and party decorations everywhere they could think of.

Maghus groaned as he grabbed a mug of apple cider from atop the counter with a nod from Big Macintosh as he gave a small smile that said hello. He sighed as he trotted over to a slightly more open spot in the town hall, only to bump into Moonstone without realizing where he was going.

“Oh…hey Moonstone.” Maghus sighed as he sat down next to the one pony he wasn’t worried about making a big fuss over things since he wasn’t from around Ponyville. His hopes were dashed the moment Moonstone started to speak however.

“So how’s being a big hero treating you Maghus?” Moonstone asked as the blue unicorn groaned in protest.

“Not you too.” Maghus took a large drink of cider to clear his head as he thought of different ways to suddenly become anonymous in Ponyville even to Pinkie Pie. Maybe a fake name and mane-style…no, Rarity would likely see right through it given her attention to detail Twilight had mentioned in a few letters in the past…maybe a new home in the sky high above Ponyville…that wouldn’t work either. Somepony would notice the new cloud home and then on of the pegasi would come up to find Maghus hiding from everypony’s attention. Maybe he could ask the local mailmare Derpy Hooves to secretly mail him to the Griffon Kingdom or something…but that would be very uncomfortable and much more unpleasant of a living situation than this.

Moonstone chuckled as he watched Maghus ponder his options of escape. “You do realize that everypony just wants to thank you for what you did for the town right? It can’t be all that bad.” Moonstone smiled as he looked around the inside of the Town Hall, smiling and chuckling to himself as he saw a few small fillies and colts play tag amidst the adults, squealing and giggling as they ran about the large room.

“I never wanted all of the attention though!” Maghus exclaimed as he gave up on trying to hide from the attention. “All I wanted to do was come to Ponyville and just relax in a new life and show Twilight how much I...” Maghus quickly stopped as he realized that some of his more private thoughts were being spoken aloud in public.

Moonstone laughed as he caught Maghus’ trip up in speech. “So she’s an old friend you have a crush on, huh?” Moonstone gave Maghus a nudge in the ribs playfully like two colts would do when one of them had a crush on a filly. “Well why don’t you tell her how you feel? It can’t be all that bad can it?”

Maghus sighed as he lowered his head, realizing he had once again let slip his feelings. “You don’t understand the whole situation though Moonstone.” Maghus lifted his head as he looked back up and motioned to the scar on his chest. “Remember when Princess Celestia healed me yesterday and all that was left was this scar?”

Moonstone nodded as he began to think about what Maghus was getting at. “Uh huh. I know about it. I WAS there after all.”

“Yeah. Anyways, the point is that I could just barely hear what Princess Celestia and Twilight were saying right before I was healed. It was the only thing I could hear and I wanted so badly to just wake up and tell Twilight how I felt.” Maghus sat down on his flank and sighed deeply again as he looked up at the ceiling. A single tear left his eye and hit the floor as he continued. “I heard Twilight say she didn’t love me, just that I was a close friend. The idea that she ‘might’ fall for me was a little reassuring, but it still hurt knowing the feelings I had for her weren’t mutual. Even after I kissed her before they all took shelter in the library here in town.”

“Waitwaitwait.” Moonstone shook his head at the last statement. “You kissed her?! Without any warning at all?” Moonstone was impressed at the guts this stallion had at approaching love and feelings. “You did kind of rush it though Maghus.” Maghus looked over to Moonstone as he continued. “I mean, you had no idea how she felt about you, and then you show up in her life again after like a year or whatever and kiss her? Of course she’s not going to be totally in love with you right away. You have to give love a chance and take it slow if you want it to get anywhere.”

“I wish I had known that sooner.” Maghus replied as he finished his mug of cider. Maghus looked over to Moonstone with a smile on his face. “You know Moonstone, you sure do know a lot about romance and proper relationships. I bet Twilight’s friend Rarity would be pretty into you.”

“What, the white mare with the purple mane and tail? Nah…” Moonstone stated a little too quickly as Maghus chuckled to himself at the familiar reaction. “She probably likes more refined ponies like royalty or ponies from Canterlot of Manehatten.”

“You seemed a lot like that yourself yesterday at the hospital like that. What makes you so different?” Maghus inquired as Moonstone chuckled to himself amidst his minor embarrassment at the topic of their conversation.

“It was a hospital. Of course I had to be polite.” Moonstone stated matter-of-factly to Maghus. “Though my travels to Canterlot and Manehatten as a travelling minstrel did cause me to pick up a slightly over-polite personality that I guess I went into yesterday. Oh well.”

“Don’t sell yourself short. Hay, you just gave me a pep talk about taking things slow and gently, what’s wrong with you doing the same thing?” Maghus asked with a smirk as he countered with Moonstone’s own advice.

“I’m a ‘travelling’ minstrel.” Moonstone retorted quickly. “I never stay in one place very long so a relationship would be next to impossible.”

“Everypony needs to eventually settle down somewhere you know. It’s not like Ponyville wouldn’t be a bad place to live.” Maghus tried to sound as convincing as possible to try to reassure Moonstone.

“I’m barely in my twenties Maghus. I’m waay too young to ‘settle down’ already.” Moonstone gave a look to Maghus as if to say ‘What were you thinking?’

“So?” Maghus replied. “I’m 17 and I already have a feeling I’ll be spending most if not all of the rest of my life here in Ponyville with people I know. So what’s stopping someone in their twenties from staying since your soo old?”

“Ha-ha. Very funny, Maghus.” Moonstone remarked as they both turned their attention to the balcony as a loud royal introduction began courtesy of some birds trained by Fluttershy. “Maybe we can continue this debate later. Looks like the big moment is finally here.”

Everypony in the building turned their attention on the balcony where Princess Celestia and Princess Luna had just walked out on to. Everypony cheered loudly for their rulers as the moment they had all been waiting the past week for was finally here.

“Greetings everypony!” Princess Celestia began. “Today is, of course, the day of the Summer Sun Celebration- the longest day of the year!” Everypony cheered at this statement as they awaited the big moment of beauty they had stayed awake the last 24 hours for while most of the younger ponies finished playing tag, oblivious to the adults.

“But today the sun is also being risen as a thank-you to a very special pony that saved Ponyville yesterday. For if it has not been for their quick thinking and actions, this celebration would have never been possible!” Celestia’s horn began to glow as everypony saw a bright light ascend beyond the horizon. The bright orb of the sun rose up into the sky and shone a bright beam of light directly on to Maghus, whose jaw had just gone slack and his entire body had frozen in shock at being addressed by the ruler of Equestria in front of everypony in Ponyville.

“Today the sun is risen also in honor of…Maghus Uncorn!”

Everypony cheered loudly as Maghus’ was teleported on to the balcony by Princess Celestia, where he waved weakly to everypony in the Town Hall as he tried his hardest not to faint and look like a big coward in front of all of these ponies he would eventually get to know in his stay in Ponyville.

Twilight and her friends cheered along with the rest of the crowd as their friend was given a special place in the world on this special day. They all cheered louder than anypony else, an this did not go unnoticed by Maghus, as he began to blush and attempt to wave a little stronger to the large crowd in front of him.

Fluttershy out of all of them spoke up loud enough for the others to hear, causing all of them to burst out laughing at the comment from their timid friend.

“I think he’s a little shy up there.”