• Published 15th Feb 2013
  • 1,588 Views, 16 Comments

Bleak - Shortstop



King Sombra wins, and the world pays for it.

  • ...
3
 16
 1,588

Prelude of the End

The dark crystal rose higher into the sky, making it's way toward the falling dragon and heart shaped crystal. Riding the spire was the shadow of the former ruler of the kingdom, his eyes focused intently on his prize as he continued to rise up. It had been a thousand year escapade to come this far, and finally it was almost within his grasp. Once he had the heart, he could resume where he had left off before his imprisonment. The thought of that alone was driving him to go faster, just to get what he desired.

As Spike fell, he tried desperately to get back the heart that was falling with him. He reached out his claws, swinging them wildly as if to swim through the air and be able to reach the dropping crystal. It proved to be all in vain. He and the crystal were of the same mass, and were falling at the same rate. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't catch up to the falling rock.

As the crystal descended further, Sombra felt an unnatural sensation run through his body. It was much like when he was being imprisoned, but the major difference being that this felt far favorable to him then being broken down. It felt as if he was being built up, regaining a part of his lost self. Before he could fully appreciate the sensation going through his abstract form, Sombra felt something he hadn't in a good while: wind across his face. He took a moment to look things over, noticing that he had regained his physical form. Under normal circumstances, he may have taken time to appreciate that he was in fact back. But he had far more pressing matters to attend to. He looked up again, the heart getting ever closer. He licked his lips, almost able to taste his victory.

Shining Armor looked up, not liking what was unfolding in front of him. He knew that there were very few ways to stop this, and he had to act. He held his wife up, knowing that even with her being worn out and utterly exhausted she was the only one left that could have any chance of getting to the heart first. Where as Rainbow Dash was fast, they also needed to save spike. He only had one chance to get it right. He just hoped that Cadence understood. And with one large burst of his strength, he heaved her straight toward the heart, and then waited.

Cadence soared through the air, her eyes watering slightly from the sudden force of being thrown as she tried to keep her eyes fixated on her target. It all came down to whether she could pull through or not. She had to grab the heart and simultaneously catch Spike. It was no easy task at the speed she was going, but she had to do it. She was the last ray of hope that these ponies had in order to be truly free once and for all. She was at the half way point, and her spirits started lifting. She could do this, she knew everything was going to be alright.

That was until she saw the dark king's eye's shift directly on her.

Sombra had sensed a growing presence as the heart continued to fall towards him. With a slight shift of his eyes, he caught a glimpse of just what he felt. It was the alicorn that had been keeping him at bay for the past several days. Now she was trying to keep him from getting back what he deserved. His once evil smile contorted into an angry scowl as he fixed his gaze on the pink princess.

I have waited a millenia for this!, he thought to himself, his horn coming to life with it's dark magic. I will not allow you to rob me of what it is rightfully mine! The glow in his horn started to become more vibrant, until he had as much magical energy that he could store up. Although it wasn't as much as he would of liked, it would do the job of ensuring she would not meddle with his plans.

Cadence let out a gasp of horror as she saw what was coming her way. Once Sombra had gotten his sights set on her, he wasted no time in stopping her. He released his energy all at once, sending it directly to her. In her weakened state, Cadence couldn't do anything to stop the blast and simply braced herself for the inevitable impact. As the magic blast hit her, Cadence felt an eruption of pain surge through her body as she was pushed away, sending her back to where she was thrown from.

"Cadence!" Shining Armor shouted as he watched his wife be launched backwards. Her body went limp after only a few seconds of contact with the blast of power, and he feared the worst. As she continued to fall, he hoped and prayed that she would land safely. As her motionless body continued to descend, he knew that she wasn't going to make it back to the balcony. Thinking that he was going to lose his wife, he closed his eyes, not being able to bear even the thought of looking at her as she fell.

"I've got her!" he heard another voice say. He opened his eyes, to see that Rarity had gone to the edge of the Balcony, and was trying to catch Cadence in her magic. Rarity was able to get her magic around the unresponsive alicorn, but was not able to keep her from falling. Knowing that it was in vain to try and bring her to the balcony, Rarity did her best to slow Cadence down so she wouldn't hit the ground too hard. Rarity struggled and strained with her magic, trying with all her mental will to keep the princess in her grasp. Sweat poured down her forehead as she continued to try and keep Cadence uplifted, but it was proving to be useless.

Finally, Cadence started to slow down, but it wasn't enough to keep her from getting injured if she hit at that speed. Rarity knew she had to try harder, so with one final burst of all her will power, she focused as hard as she could to slow Cadence down. With the last bit of her magic, she was finally able to get her controlled enough for her to land on the ground mostly unharmed. Once Rarity knew Cadence was safe, she collapsed onto the floor of the Balcony, completely exhausted.

Good, now that pest is out of the way. Sombra thought to himself. He then focused his attention back to his goal. The heart was almost close enough to reach out and touch. Not wishing to take another chance with anything, he used his magic to grab the falling crystal, bringing it to his face. He smiled wickedly. He had waited over a thousand years for this moment. A thousand years trapped in the ice, and now he had back what was his. He now had everything back, and then some.

That's when he noticed something else was caught in the aura of his magic. From his peripheral version, he could see something moving, as if trying to get away from him. He looked over, and saw that he had caught the small dragon in his grasp as well. Sombra at first entertained the thought of simply throwing him aside, or even having some fun with him, but for the time being he had far more important things to deal with.

Spike struggled with all his might to get away from the magic that now held him firmly in the air. But no matter how good he was at escaping Twilight's magic, there was something about the aura that held him now that was far stronger. Suddenly he felt his entire body move, as if being manipulated to turn him around. When he had done a complete 180 degree turn, he came face to face with the entity that had him.

Spike's heart jumped into his throat, too scared to move much less say anything to the omnipotent being that he was now facing. It wasn't the first time that he had been faced by a pony of such well known power, but this was something all together different for the young dragons mind. Where as the princess's were generally kind and understanding, he was now looking straight at their polar opposite: A stallion who had no mind for sympathy or remorse.

The sweat began to fall down spikes face, so horrified that he couldn't even mange the awkward smile that he usually did whenever he knew that he was going to be facing trouble. Suddenly, the king gave Spike a very evil smirk. Spike knew that there was no way that could at all be good. So he closed his eyes, waiting for what he thought was going to be very harsh treatment. At best he may be thrown off and hit the ground, dead before he could even know it. Or he could suffer something worse and be slowly and painfully tortured. But he didn't expect what happened.

"You needn't worry yourself, my reptilian friend." he heard the demonic voice say to him. While he was trembling, Spike dared to open one of his eyes and look at the dark ruler that held him. He was still giving him that smile. A smile that could send terror through the heart of even the most steel nerved stallions in the royal guards. What does he mean I shouldn't worry? Spike thought to himself.

"You need not worry, for you have done me no wrong." Sombra told him in a calm manner. "You've brought me that which is the key to my kingdom. And for that I thank you." Spike's jaw dropped, unable to comprehend what was happening. Not only was he under the control of the most feared stallion in all of this city, but he was also thanking him. Thanking him for making a stupid mistake. Spike was unsure how he should have been taking that. He was either mocking him for his slip up, or... something else he wasn't sure of. Either way, he was too scared to move or speak.

"We'll discuss your reward later, but first" Sombra said, looking back to the heart he held in his magic. "A little reunion with my kingdom." He looked closely at the heart, marveling at his prize. All those years spent in the ice. he thought to himself, All that time of waiting, and it has finally paid off. I have back my physical form, I have the crystal heart, and I have my empire. His eyes shifted to the sight below him, a group of ponies all gathered around an unconscious mare. "Ah, of course." he thought aloud.

The crystal ponies gathered around the still form of the fallen alicorn, wondering if she was alright after that great fall. The only indication that she was at all alive was the slow steady rhythm of her chest rising and falling. So distracted by what was happening at their hooves, many had forgotten the much more serious threat that was just above their heads. Until he made himself known.

"Hello again my kingdom!" A booming voice from high up said, catching the attention of the ponies that surrounded the mare. They all looked up, and were all paralyzed with fear at the sight that was presented to them. King Sombra stood atop the tall black crystal, the heart that the ponies were sure would save them held in his magic along with a very scared looking baby dragon. The sinister smile that he had been known for was adorned on his face.

Some of the ponies backed away, not sure of where they would go but just wishing to be as far away from the tyrant as they could get. Others were so scared they couldn't do much else other than look up and tremble. Their worst fear had come to life. And now, there was no way to reverse it.

"I'll tell you something my slaves," Sombra went on, "I have missed you dearly in my absence. It was very lonely trapped in that ice, and being nothing but a shadow for centuries. But don't think for a moment that I hold it against you. You were not the ones at fault for that." For the citizens of the crystal empire who were not frozen stiff in their own horror, what he just said was very odd to them. He was always one to place punishments fast, even if it was not proven that the accused was guilty. Something had to be up.

"No, you were not the ones to do that to me. I know who the true cause of my imprisonment was. But you need not worry yourselves about such matters. I know you are all anxious to resume your work." He looked at all of them, noticing how many of their face contorted into even greater fear. It gave him a feeling of great pride. Even after all these years, he still invoked fear into them.

"I have reclaimed my kingdom," he said to no one in particular, "and now, it is time for me to take my seat back on the throne." Using the magic still around the frozen dragon, he deposited him on to his back but kept hold of the heart. "I highly suggest that you hold on, my new friend." he said to spike, the smile never leaving his face.

"H-H-H-Hang on?" Spike stuttered, finally snapped out of his trance of fear. "W-W-Why? What's-" before he could finish his sentence, Spike got his answer.

In a split second, King Sombra's eyes turned that vile green color. The ground below started to shake, and Sombra gave a very toothy evil smile. Several of the black crystals shot up from the ground below, pushing aside some of the ponies that were standing at the base of the large one Sombra and Spike were on. Several of the crystals started reaching much larger heights, starting to make their way up to the level of the king.

"Get ready for a ride." Sombra said, looking down at the crystals. Before Spike even had time to react, Sombra launched himself off of the crystals top, and began falling. Spike gripped the back of his insane captor, not wishing to fall off. He let out a loud yell of fear, too scared to focus on anything but their rapid decent.

Much to Spike's and many others amazement, they did not continue falling. They ended up landing on one of the rising crystals. As relieved as Spike was not to be falling anymore, he knew it was short lived. He could feel the two of them slowly slipping down the crystals edge. With not enough footing, it wouldn't be long before they lost balance and fell again. But before that could happen, Sombra jumped again, landing on another lower crystal.

It went on like that for a few jumps, until there were no crystals left. It didn't bother Sombra though, for he was almost at his landing point. With one final jump, he readied himself for the landing. On his back, Spike was trembling uncontrollably from the little adventure that he was having with his captor. When he saw that there was no crystal below for them lo land on, Spike again started to panic. Until he saw where they were head.

With a loud clap of his metal encased hooves slamming against stone, Sombra touched down on the balcony of the palace. Although his landing was loud and utterly brutal in performance, he managed to maintain his composure and be confident with what he had just done. He stood there a few moments, smiling smugly as he held the heart next to him with pride. On his back, the baby dragon was clenching to him with all of his limbs, still shaken from the ride he had only a few seconds ago. His eyes were wide in fear, and his body trembled violently.

Sombra opened his eyes, his moment of bliss gone for the time being, and noticed who was on the balcony with him. Six other ponies were there, each giving them different looks. The cyan mare gave him look of anger, almost as if sending a message of "I want to fight" to him. The orange earth pony didn't look much different, only being slightly less confident. The white mare was lying passed out on the ground, exhausted from trying to keep the alicorn below from getting injured earlier. The male unicorn simply hid a look of hopelessness, trying to keep a facade of confidence and focus. The pink earth pony simply sat there, a guilty looking smile on her face as she stared at him with large eyes. Finally, there was the yellow pegasus. She thought herself hidden behind all of her friends, but Sombra could have seen her shake from a mile away.

He simply smiled to them.

"Ah, hello children." he greeted all of them, "It's so nice to finally meet you all face to face." The group didn't do anything except stare at the tyrant that stood before them. They had heard so much about him, but the actual thing in front of them was far more terrifying then any story could ever tell. His voice was unnatural, sounding like a combination of someone's real voice and something completely not of this world. It alone could have sent shivers down anyone's spine. The way he stood was that of someone in a controlling, dominant nature. And his eyes... oh those eyes. Those cold, soulless, unforgiving eyes. Eyes that could freeze lava with just one passing glance.

"Thank you all for helping to get the crystal heart back into my possession." Sombra spoke again, not losing that polite demeanor. "It pleases me greatly." Like Spike before them, the group couldn't believe what they were hearing. It was clear that he was mocking them, but the tone in his voice made it sound like genuine appreciation. He was either trying to manipulate them, or just plain trying to confuse them.

"I will admit, I was quite annoyed at first when you were trying to keep me at bay." Sombra went on, "But seeing as how you all worked so hard to get my empire back into shape, and return this to me, I think I can find it in myself to forget that minor annoyance." With the heart still in his grasp Sombra slowly turned around to face the kingdom once again. "I will show you my appreciation in a few moments, but right now I have more pressing matters to attend to."

The citizens of the crystal empire looked up at the king, back where he once was when it all started so many years ago. Now they were right back in that same position. Stuck under his rule once more.

"I do hope you have enjoyed your time off my slaves." he announced, almost shaking the balcony as his voice boomed. "But I am sorry to say that there will be no more breaks for some time. After all, idle hooves are Discords play things. Your work will resume, but first." Sombra brought the heart to his right hoof, holding it close to his chest, and then bore his teeth in an evil smile. "We must take some precautions this time around."

His eyes started to glow that awful green color, and his horn came to life with the dark aura once more. The earth beneath everyone's hooves began to shake, causing some of the high risen crystal to start cracking and falling to the ground. That's when everyone started to notice the black smoke rising around the border of where the shield once protected them. The same kind of smoke that brought them into the banishment from before.

"No chances will be taken this time." Sombra announced, continuing the spell he was casting. "No more slip ups or interferences. This time, no one shall stop me."

The smoke had almost completely enveloped the city, causing the once fear stricken ponies to now panic and try to run for their lives. Some tried making it to edge to see if they could escape, but it proved useless. The shadow barrier wouldn't allow them to leave. Others just stood, not able to believe what was happening.

"This isn't happening." one of the crystal ponies said to herself, "This isn't happening."

Sombra turned back to the group behind him, his eyes aglow with the evil flame that flickered violently as his spell was still being cast.

"Get ready children." he said, his voice almost sounding like an ambient echo. "For this is merely the prelude of what is truly to come." Finally, the shadow like vapor of the spell sealed the city in, not to be seen again by the outside world.