• Published 25th Jan 2012
  • 1,466 Views, 25 Comments

What I had and What I Was - ty500600

  • ...
2
 25
 1,466

Dayum...

Fast forward to around the second week of that year. I was still kind of a wreck after the whole “Spirit” incident. She wouldn’t talk to me pretty much after that and anytime I tried to get near her, her friends would block my path. It was rather…upsetting. I was feelin’ pretty down and I had just plopped my pathetic ass into a desk in history class. A waste of a class I might add, but my parents encouraged it being that it was an Advanced Placement class. Stingy parents always trying to save a bit or two in the future. I never read the book or listened to the teacher’s lectures. I tried to sleep through it as much as I could but the teach had an annoying habit of catching me as I began to doze off. Douche.

Anyways, back me plopping my flank into that desk. I had begun my daily ritual of getting my book out and cozying up to it with my face. As much as the book sucked, it worked rather well as a pillow in clutch situations. I was just about to put my head down when I felt somepony slug me in the in the shoulder. I looked around and a mare who I had known since elementary school had just trotted past. I gave her a stare of ‘What the hell was that for?’ She smiled at me and shot me a wink. My heart fluttered for a moment, a feat that I did not think possible.

Quick story; during the summer, Spirit and I had been hanging out a lot since we lived in rather close proximity to each other and I was trying to cozy up to her. Clearly that hadn’t worked, but anyways, story. From time to time I would see the mare that had slugged me in the shoulder come by and say hi to Spirit. Her name was Sparkle. No, I don’t mean that old bat unicorn that was in the history books. Her name was Sparkle, and rightfully so because her most captivating feature was her eyes. They were a brilliant sapphire blue that literally sparkled. I had never paid her much mind, however, due to me being infatuated with Spirit. Sparkle would chill with us sometimes and I began to get to know her personally. She lived on the same street as Spirit did, just a little closer to me.

Reverting back to the tale of the slugging, it was only then did I truly see the beautiful mare for who she was. She had a brilliant, amber mane that flowed down her neck and over her shoulders. Her purple coat was shining in the light, clearly well kept, and when she had winked at me, the sparkle in those eyes literally threw me out of my seat. I pretty much sprinted over to her and started talking.

“Hey Sparkle, what was that for?”

“Oh I don’t know, cause I wanted to?” she giggled after saying that. That made my heart jump again.

“Oh…okay,” I had stammered. Wow I must have sounded like an idiot. “Well, I’ll see you around I guess.”

She giggled again before talking, “yeah, I guess you will.”

I had felt a tap on my back and I turned around to see the teacher staring at me, “Mr. Sticks, would you like to take a seat and leave Miss Sparkle alone? Surely she doesn’t want to be bothered by you.” His beady little eyes fixated themselves on me.

“Uh yeah…sure teach, no problem.”

“My name, Mr. Sticks, is Mr. Olden, and you would do well to remember that.”

“You got it teach,” I pushed him on, hoping to see one of his little rants.

“Your seat?” He asked, ending the confrontation. I nodded and sat down, a smirk on my face.

‘I win again,’ I thought to myself. My body froze as a giggle sounded behind me. ‘Dayum, she is good.’ I had made it a point to talk to her again after class, I wanted to get to know her better.

After an hour of me completely ignoring the class and occasionally shooting a glance back towards Sparkle, the bell finally sounded. I quickly gathered up my crap and tossed into my bag, not really caring what crushed what. My mind was too focused on snagging Sparkle as she left the class. I exited the door and waited and when she came through I pulled her aside.

“Hey, it’s later.”

“I suppose it is, isn’t?” She threw in a smile with it. I might add that, while the giggles made my heart jump, the smile was enough to make it stop completely.

“I…um…want to hang out after school?” I stammered out. Eeyup, its official, I’m a dumbass.

“Sure, why not? My brother and I were going to get some friends together and play kickball, if you want in?”

She had barely finished talking before I blurted out, “Yes!” Desperate are we Sticks?

“Alrighty, I’ll see you then,” she said, smiling as she walked past me. If I wasn’t leaning against that locker, I probably would have fallen over. Inside of my chest, my heart was doing back flips. I don’t think I was more excited about hanging out with a girl more in my life. I don’t know what it was about her, but something made me fell all warm and cozy on the inside, and I was determined to figure out what it was.