• Published 7th Feb 2013
  • 485 Views, 0 Comments

Everfrees and Equines - Codexwriter476



Once founded on unison and friendship, forged by prosperity and won through blood. This is how the Everfree became ever free.

  • ...
 0
 485

End of Innocence

The town of Everfree was quiet on an early Sunday morning, though it wasn’t quiet for long once the radial supporters for secession leave their homes. Ever since the news of the Hayvenport Incident reached their ears, they’ve been holding rallies to support secession and were steadily growing elsewhere, but in Everfree they had little following. No pony wanted to relive Hayvenport.

No, in Everfree, life went on as it does.

Amongst the few ponies preparing their shops in town was a young crimson stallion with a dark grey mane dusted with quarry stone debris and dirt. His skill at carpentry and mining displayed proudly on his flank, but instead of pulling stones and ores, he was pulling a wagon full of fruits.

“Thank you kindly for helping me with the food Coalwood.” A rather partite looking griffon yawned.

“It’s not a problem Baeder. We’re friends after all.” Coalwood replied.

Baeder had been a prisoner of war during the last Griffon Wars and had been put into labor at the quarry that Coalwood grew up in. Though a few years younger than his pony friend, he could easily fight off dozens of Equestria’s finest Royal Guards and make it home with medals to prove it. It was that magic pulse musket through his right wing that crushed any hope of that and once the war was over, he didn’t want to shame his family legacy by returning defeated and wounded.

“How is your wing?”

“Still sore but I can glide now. That Diamond dog, Hooch was it, is a good medic.” Baeder said looking back to the wing. “Though it stings every time I try to move it.”

The two continued their conversation with social issues and anything that came to mind, until they came upon the market square. The square was starting to fill with potential customers and shopkeepers establishing their stalls.

“I can take it from here Coal.” Baeder replied reaching for the hitch.

“Are you sure?” Coalwood was still concerned for his friend.

“I’m quite sure. I’ll send some pony to get you when its closing time. I’ll give you your share of the day afterward.”

“Well, if you say so.” Coalwood unhitched himself and allowed Baeder to take it. The griffon took hold of the poles and pulled the cart around to the back.

The town bell soon rung the hour and all at once life started to fill the dirt and cobblestone streets. No doubt the work crews and his brother Stone Cutter would be hard at work at the quarry outside of town; had there been a compromise between them. The strikes over wages and shortened work periods had slowed operations, not to mention the town guards taking their share for the Province Act. In fact, the strike was the only kind of news ponies here would be interested in then any war advocate.

Stone Cutter was a stubborn pony with his head in to the ground and ears full of dirt when it came to the strikes. Although he heard them out, he did little or no action to see them implemented unless they came to his terms.

It’s a surprise that none of the workers left to find better employment or to the gem rich regions near Dogson’s Creek and El Dogrado. Perhaps they wanted to stay and see if there was anything valuable, or maybe it was Hooch; the head dog of the entire quarry. Some nick-name him Kole from his black coat soot spotted all over his body and paws, or because of his connections with Coalwood’s and Stone Cutter’s father who first founded the quarry. Unlike many of his brethren and species; he didn’t see much value from gemstones or rare minerals. He had more of a nose for raw material that was actually useful such as Iron, Steel, even Ebony from the High Northern Mountains.

Coalwood’s mind soon caught attention to a large group of townsfolk gather around the town hall doors, all in eager anticipation. Barely audible through the quiet murmurs of those outside there was a collection of officials throughout the township discussing something of great importance if it was drawing this large of a crowd. Coalwood edged closer.

“Do you know what’s going on?” One pony asked.

“I think it’s about the secession. I also see an officer talking to the township governor in there, and he sounds convincing.” A Griffon replied perched near one of the rotunda windows overlooking the commons inside.

More soften conversation continued within the walls and the Griffon kept reporting. Minutes must have passed when the Griffon’s tone quickly changed.

“They’re coming out.”

The crowd parted ways as the doors started to open. Three officials and the officer walked out. The officer was in a rather odd uniform than to the Royal Guards. Instead of the bright steel platted gold armor and centurion style helmet, the officer donned a deep green jacket with brown trim and brass buttons and the tails of the jacket fanning off to his sides near the flank; his wings neatly tucked close to the jacket. On his hind legs were tan buttoned spats that were mostly common with Diamond dogs. Resting within his front right leg was a blue folded cap with a wood tail feather sticking from the brim, supposedly of Griffon origin none the less.

Judging from the unique style of the uniform, as well as the earned respect he was receiving from those round him, this Pegasus must have been well known, yet Coalwood have never even seen this pony before, let alone heard of him. But he stayed and listened.

“My fellow country folk, I am but a simple stallion with no political ties whatsoever.” The Pegasus started. “I served my time with your militias, made an honest living amongst the farmers, the miners and the shop keepers and paid what I due. Since the Hayvenport Incident and our secession, I have worked even harder to build us an army to match whatever the Homeland will throw at us, but I alone cannot do it all. We need your railroads to move material and troops. We need your militias to further increase our arms. We need your finest miners, smiths and farmers to provide with the food and material to get the job done, but most of all. We need your support if we are to see a new dawn in this, our darkest night.

“Many of us have never held a rifle before and I can understand your concern, but many of you were veterans of the last Griffon Wars and among you were former enemy soldiers and prisoners.” He looked out to the crowd before him. “Such worthy veterans can have a chance to redeem themselves of their dishonorable exiles, while other may wish to stay in their homes and be done with fighting. I will not force you to decide, since no conscription will be held the matter of volunteers will be the deciding factor for a better tomorrow.”

The crowd remained silent, believing that this Pegasus would be another war supporting drunkard who made up his own outfit just for show. The Pegasus, on the other hand, still had more to say.

“To those still in disbelief of my legitimacy, know this. I am not here only to support the cause for war, I am also here to tell you what will be at stake should we fail or do nothing. Should we fail, your hard earned way of life will be stripped from you. Your rights will be shoved into the dirt and many more Hayvenports will occur to your loved ones on crimes of treason and conspiracy against the Crown. Everything that your fore fathers and mothers earned through their sweat and blood will be for nothing. Our Griffon and Changeling neighbors will further be prosecuted by those in Canterlot, by command and by sword. Our Diamond dog brethren will be put to the leash until their dying breath. Children of Zebras and Bison will be treated as second class citizens. Even your children will be treated poorly as you struggle to support them.

Coalwood looked around to see some ponies squirm at the thought, as well as small families of other species huddle together as if that would be enough to protect them. Ears on the dogs dropped, knowing their history between them and the Equines.

“By doing nothing, we will be condemned to continually live under the shadow of the Equine Elite, who take everything you have worked for as their own, who decide how you will live and will continue to ignore our voice. We were taught that all kinds were to be treated as equals, but what of our Griffon and Bison neighbors who aid us in the Blizzard of 772? The Diamond dogs who taught us proper ways to mine? Even the Changeling refugees we sheltered during the fall of their once great nation? Their hardships and sacrifices, as well as our own, fell on deaf ears and they were, and still are, being treated as second class citizens and will do so until the very end of time.

“So I ask you this, Citizens of North Everfree, will you join in this, our great crusade for our lives, our liberties and our happiness? Or will you remain a slave to your fears, your doubts and your Equine masters in Canterlot?” The Pegasus finished. Parts of the crowd raised their hooves and paws into the air in agreement, while a rare few; Coalwood included, kept silent and parted ways.

Although the thought of war was far beyond his mind, Coalwood was rather impressed by what the officer had said. There had been others before him praising for independence and the consequence of failure, but they were radical politics who hated pretty much anything that came from Canterlot or were drunks looking for a fight for no apparent reason.

But what made this “simple stallion” different from every pony else? Was it his uniform? His words perhaps? All of these left more questions than answers for Coalwood to think about, only to be shattered as the clock struck eleven.

The quarry.

Stonewood would have his hide if he didn’t get back right away. Coalwood quickened his pace to a gallop as he rushed out of town towards the ridge beyond the Little Hayes.


The Ironwood-Hound Mine and Quarry was snuggled next to the Foothill ridgeline just a few miles north of Everfree with miles upon miles of tall fur pines and rocky crevasse dotted the landscape. Wooden two story structures dotted the foothills with scattered tents and mining tracks filling the space between. Separate tunnel entrances were visible as Coalwood climbed over the ridge road, as well as some barking and chanting from the strikers. To his surprise, however, he could see a small glimmer around the main structure near the center of the complex.

That can’t be good.

Coalwood broke into an all out run.

The camp was alive with howls and shouts as they focused their anger towards their unwanted guests: a small detachment of Royal guards. Although many of the townships had ordered them out, their orders came from Canterlot, so the township orders were completely ignored.

The howls and barks intensified as Coalwood got closer.

“Coalwood!” A familiar bark shouted out to him. Making his way through was Hooch, a large Sheppard-Bernard mix with his darkened paws and legs with coal covered spats and red vest. A loyal friend to his family and a strict yet reasonable fore-dog, Hooch was responsible for all the miners here at the Quarry, thus took most of the blame from Stonewood if anything went wrong or went against the rules. He also tended to dabble a bit with medical arts from a travelling zebra, though her name is lost in his memories, he always referred her as a striped shaman.

“Hooch, what’s going on? Where’s my brother?” Coalwood shouted over the noise.

“Guards came to take share, but now take Coal’s brother as well. Say of poor activity and possible aid to separatist.” Hooch explained. Although his speech was slightly better than his counter-parts, Hooch still retained some of his Diamond Dog speech impediments.

“Why did they take Uncle Stone? Momma said that he supported Equestria.” Young Whip Lash interrupted.

“The guards were noticing a slight change in their share of the old family profits that was “required” by the Act, and had concluded that it was secretly funding those in favor of secession and your mother is right. He did support Equestria, but the strikes had him preoccupied that it could have happened under his muzzle.” Coalwood sighed. It made him feel painful remembering what happened next…


“Get your hooves off me!” Stonewood shouted struggling to be free of his binds. The guards holding him only strengthen their hold on him, giving a thrashing or two. This only angered the crowd. “I’m a loyal subject to the Crown!”

“You’ve been accused of aiding separatist agents with war making material, along with treason and financial scrutiny against the Crown.” An officer shouted over the dogs. The guards blocking them strained their lesser wards but held none the less.

“I’ve done no such thing! Ask these miners, they’ll vouch for me! Where is my brother? He will surely vouch for me!” Stonewood was now looking to the crowd as they crawled their way towards a waiting wagon nearby.

Most of the dogs there could not speak properly and the only one who could was Hooch, who was with Coalwood further back.

“Let me through!” Coalwood struggled to pass through the large noxious mass of fur and dirt, trying to reach his brother. Little did both sides know, one of the dogs near the wards was standing near a malfunctioning drill-hammer when Coalwood bumped into him. The force accidentally pressed the starter, but by then it was too late.

The sudden blast from the machine quickly silenced the yard.

Mistaking the blast for a gunshot, a young recruit holding a ward lessened his magic, leveled his rifle and fired onto the crowd. Others soon joined in.

“Hold your fire!” the officer shouted but to no avail.

Enhanced rounds pierced through the dogs, causing them to flee in terror. The sudden change in motion forced Coalwood back, further away from his brother. Stonewood continued to struggle against his captors as the chaos around them ensnared his rope to a hoist. The officer kept shouting to the guards to cease fire, but was brushed by a panicked hound.

The officer stumbled backwards and struck the hoist lever. The hoist rapidly rocketed up the pole, followed by the rope as it sent the sandbag counterweight towards the earth.

It stopped before it touched the ground, for something had jammed the joints.

The muffled screams from Coalwood could not be heard over the panic and the officer looked to her doing. Through the bodies of fleeing dogs and powder residue, the ghastly sight engraved deep into his mind.

There, upon the mast, hung his brother.


Coalwood paused, his breath sharp and his heart heavy as if he was just there. He did not finish his tale to Whip Lash.

“Grandpa, are you alright?” Whip Lash asked. “What happened to Uncle Stone?” His questions cut deep into him like a knife.

Without another word, Coalwood stood up and walked off the porch, looking towards the ridge where it all ended.


“Withdraw! All of you sorry lot back to Canterlot!” The officer’s voice finally broke through the shots and shouts, a grievous look towards the young recruits then towards the hanging body. Following orders, the guards quickly withdrew down the road. What they left behind was carnage.

Ten dogs lay dead and dozens more were wounded. Many others were scared off the property and would take hours for them to return. The few that remained included Hooch and Coalwood were out of harm’s way at least, though they were not physically harmed.

“Coal?” A dog started but was stopped by Hooch as Coalwood approached the mast. The dust still lingered across the yard and stung his throat, Coal still looked. Though his tears started to stain his eyes, he still looked. The body gently swung left to right.

“Was this was that officer meant?” Coalwood’s mind raced back to the officer at town hall. He wanted to keep thinking that this was not real, that this was some sick twisted being of the Night Mare from the story. He wanted to believe the lie his mind told him, but his heart spoke otherwise.

He took one last look, only to see the body remain untouched and hanging.

Had Equestria really come down to this? Where was the Princess in all this? Why did she allow this to happen?

No.

No, it couldn’t have been the princess. She would never do this to her own subjects and any living within her lands.

No. It was those law makers in Canterlot, the elite that robbed him of his brother and their family’s earned labors. It was them that caused it.

“Coal? Are you sick?” The same dog asked but stayed his paw.

“I am not sick Mutt, but my heart is.” Coal replied.

“Should Mutt get medicine. Will make heart better.”

“No. Just leave me please.”

All but Hooch parted away to tend to their fallen comrades. Coalwood just sat there, his head now hanging low.

“Is Coal going to go? Hooch will go wherever Mister Coal go, same with others.” Hooch said trying to give comfort to his down trotten friend. Coalwood remained silent.

“At least let Hooch take brother down.”

“Could you bury him in the family plot? I don’t want to see him anymore.” He whimpered but Hooch could hear him. With a nod, Hooch went towards the mast and started to pull the hoist. The squeaky gurney and hoist scratched at Coalwood’s ears and heart.

With the body in Hooch’s paws, he started to walk away. He stopped when he heard another soft whimper.

“When you get back, please oil the hoist. I’ll have it ready when you return.”


The following morning was quiet as the town hall bell solemnly tolled out the hour. Dozens of spectators looked onto the streets as ten wooden caskets rolled down the street, as well as an empty stone wagon toed by Coalwood himself. Not a single soul dare speak out, but the message was clear.

Everfree suffered a far more devastating Hayvenport, but unlike the victim who was well respected, these victims were on friendly terms with every being in town and personal. Baeder walked beside his friend.

“I’m sorry about your brother Coal. He was a fine pony and a good friend.” Baeder spoke softly. Coal said nothing.

“So what happens now?”

“I had trust in Equestria and thought she’d see this through. Now, I lost my faith in her so I will do what I must to ensure this won’t happen again.” Coal turned towards the young pony leaning close to her mother, her eyes staring back into his but all he could see was his brother. “Tomorrow, I’ll become a volunteer for freedom.”

“Then I will join you.” Baeder replied. “To see your goal through and if Hooch wants to join, then I say the more the merrier.”

Though he remained sober outside, on the inside…

Coalwood smiled.