• Published 3rd Feb 2013
  • 1,904 Views, 51 Comments

Pie For Two - lillytheomegawolf



After the perfect day with one of her best friends comes to a sudden end, Applejack is left with nothing but questions.

  • ...
7
 51
 1,904

Pinkamena

“Kiss me Pinkie.” The glowing orange beauty before her ordered.

The southern accent made the in the party pony’s heart rate take a hike into the skies. This was too good to be true. Her first date had been a glorious success. Now the time had come to share their first kiss under Luna’s moonlit sky.

She could hardly believe this was happening!

A mega huge grin lit up Pinkie Pie’s face. Heart aflutter, the super excited mare leaned in toward her companion. “First kiss with the best mare-turned-marefriend ever, here I come!” 



She was met in the middle by her companion and tingles of joy exploded all though her system and into the night. Some way off, her party canon fired, small fireworks painting a picture of joy in the night sky.

After what felt like forever, two earth ponies pulled away breathless. Pinkie Pie would have continued, had it not been for the need to breath.

“Wow...” Was somehow all she could manage as she gazed into her lover’s green eyes that captivated her.

“Ya liked that did ya?” Chucked the pretty orange earth pony, rubbing her muzzle where the two had met.

“Oh yes!” Pinkie couldn’t help herself, boing! She bounced round and round her mare, in bliss.

“How could somepony like me love a crazy dyke like ya’self?” The ever so slightly warped voice of Applejack rang out.

The wonderful sensation fell away, shredded by her lover’s words. The touchy party pony’s mane drooped as she fell, mid bounce and landed muzzle first on the hard ground.

Those impossible words... It felt like she had just taken a knife to her heart.

“Applejack doesn’t love you! She never will. Ya are alone Pinkie Pie. Forever...!”

“No!” An almost desperate plea escaped before Pinkie had a hope stopping it.

With a shocked gasp she staggered back from the orange earth pony in front of her. Applejack was no longer herself. She was replaced by a ghastly apparition, mostly Applejack, but with a blood stained face and Pinkie’s own mane, drooped around her shoulders as if she were Pinkamena.

“Hello Pinkie Pie. Don’t worry, everypony likes you just the way you are... a crazy outcast, not worthy of love.” The evil apparition strode up to the shocked pink mare, a grin upon her once beautiful face.

“Y-your not AJ... Where’s my marefriend. I want her back...” Pinkie’s shrill tone was almost a wine.

“It was all in your head. Remember how she said no. Remember how she turned her back on you?”

A tear escaped the pink mare. Yes, she remembered now. 

It had been something she had worked so hard to repress. Yet here the memory was once again.

Mock despair took the evil Applejack before her who gazed into the tearful party pony’s eyes and continued to verbally hammer her. “I know. You lost her. But she was never your’s... Applejack would never say yes to you.” The earth mare before her was now in her face, with a dominant grin of victory upon her muzzle. “You will see... Very soon you will see...”

"Not listening… I'm not listing!" A tear escaped as Pinkie cured up, laying both forehooves across her ears in an attempt to block out the taunts that pelted her like rocks.

"A stallion will come to town. She will ask him out and he will say yes. Meanwhile you will be the only mare in your pathetic group of friends without somepony to love.” The victorious tone of the mare who taunted her turned into a gleeful giggle, earning a tearful sob from the pony who cowered at her nightmare’s hooves.

“My dear Pinkie is alone. Alone with me!" A laugh of delight followed as the evil pony before her faded out of existence.

A quivering ball of Pinkie Pie, remained, lying there in her own little world of pain. All she could think about was the mare who had rejected her. How could such a special pony so quickly turn to another?

No. She couldn’t. Her evil nightmare pony had to be lying!

She tossed and turned on the spot. Still curled up as tight as her body would allow.


Seconds later, Pinkie fell onto the floor. With a pained groan she glanced up to find she had fallen off her bed. "Go away meanie nightmare… Pinkie doesn't want you…" The distressed murmur escaped the mare as she fought to stand.

Knock, Knock.

'Who could that be…?' The flat mane seemed to fly everywhere as Pinkie tried to shake herself into wakefulness.

"Pinkie, are you in there?" Mrs Cake sounded concerned and followed her question with a further knock to the door. "Hello?"

"Go-way…." Moaned the less than energetic mare as she trooped to the doorway and opened it.

Her lackluster stare was met by with a very concerned looking mare. "Pinkie. We are all worried about you. Will you at least come out of your room today?"

"I guess…" The earth pony in question shrugged.

What did it matter any way. If what the evil Applejack inside had said was true, then the real Applejack was probably in search of her new date right now.

"Thank goodness… I was really starting to think you had lost it. You don't even normally spend more than a few hours… let alone three days in your room."

As Pinkie Pie trodded along behind, her mind was hard at work, it raced around in circles as she came to the realisation. 'I spent how long in there!?! If felt like forever…'

"Are you okay?"

"Oof…!" The sad earth pony plowed muzzle first into the older mare who had paused when she had posed the question.

With rapid rubs to her smarting nose, Pinkie pulled away. "What? Huh…?"

A sigh escaped the blue earth pony. "You're not all better then I see. What ever happened to you Pinkie? One moment you were happy...you were our Pinkie Pie.... and the next… You might as well be somepony else…" Her concern shone strongly through and the returned-to-Equestria mare flattened her ears, a pang of shame shot through her.

'Oh what have I been doing? Pinkie, you have been so selfish… You forgot the happiness of other ponies! And all because you were sad because of… her…' The straight maned mare could hardly bring herself to think of the pony who had and still appeared to cause her so much pain.

"I…I'm just not feeling…happy. And Pinkie Pie without happy is no Pinkie Pie at all…" The downtrodden mare admitted.

With a nod, the poor mare’s caregiver replied, clearly hoping that she could at least get something out of the closed pony. "Well… is it okay if you at least tell me what is wrong?"

"Um…" With a cautionary glance around her, the pink mare confirmed an absence of anypony else in the vicinity. "Well… Um…" 'Come on Pinkie, It's just Mrs Cake… She's basically family! In fact she's the best mother who isn't my mom ever…' Certain that her resolve had been solidified, Pinkie Pie took a deep breath.

The force it took to release the breath and turn it into words felt like one of the hardest things she had done all day. "Well… I sorta like AJ… But when I asked her after we had a super duper awesome day… she said...no…" She shrank back from her mentor, afraid of repercussions for her words.

The already sad expression of the motherly mare became laden with as much care and love she could muster. "Oh…you poor dear… When did this happen?"

The younger pony gathered courage from the mother-like pony’s words. She had not expected Mrs Cake to be okay with her heart’s choice.

"Um… Just before I locked myself up in forever alone land…"

Mrs Cake nodded. This was all it took for Pinkie. It felt like she could understand, if only a little. "Come with me. I think a day with me, working, will help you."

“Okay.” With such a downtrodden mood, it was easy to be submissive.

As she followed her boss and caregiver along the hallway, thoughts of her crush invaded her head. These were quickly followed by the dark Applejack who offered her only hurtful taunts. With a shake of her head, her once poofy mane waved around her shoulders, an outward indicator of inner feelings. It looked like there was no way she was going to get her usual mane style back today. ‘Oh I do hope nopony notices...’

They reached the doorway to the kitchen and Pinkie stood there, sucked into a trace like state as the memory of that fateful day when her dreams were shattered smacked into her once more.


Right were she was standing now, stood Applejack. A light bead of sweat leaked down her pretty, smiling face as her green eyes met Pinkie’s.

“...Lead on ma’gal.” With a graceful wave of her forehoof, the laden farmer indicated for her friend to enter the kitchen.

“Right!” With an energetic boing! Pinkie entered her bakery, dropped her pack and began to set up for work.

She was so busy in set up mode, filled with thoughts of the super sweet things she could do in the kitchen with her marefriend that all the rest of Equestria soon began to disappear. It would be the most amazingist awesome thing ever! They would create the most delicious treats for everypony to share and have the time of their lives. After all... both earth ponies were happy to just live in Ponyville. What could possibly go wrong?

Suddenly she snapped back into reality like a rubber band when she noticed her friend was still in the doorway, a light smile on her muzzle while she watched.

“You don’t want to join me AJ?” With a cock of her pink head, she wondered what her friend could have been thinking of.

“It ain’t that. Ah’ jus don’t often get ta see th’ master work tha’s all.” With a playful smile the orange mare entered and placed her filled pack next to her friend’s. “This really is ya zone ain’t it?”

“Yip yip! It sure is!” Her brain kicked into overdrive,‘yay for me! I have Applejack in the kitchen with me!’ She did a few excited hops, before she calmed herself down again enough to talk more.

“Wanna make some Apple Pie, AJ?” With a delighted grin, the party pony leapt across to her companion.

“Well sure... An’ do ya mind if Ah sell a few o’ them at the market tomorrow? Somethin’ new...ya know.”

“Then we had better make a whole wide range of great tasty treats! Then we can sell them together!” With a single fluid motion, Pinkie Pie threw a foreleg around companion, abuzz with a strange, ecstatic sensation.

“That would be fun...” Applejack agreed.

Those few words sent Pinkie’s mind into a mini fit of joy and she could barely contain herself from shouting out. ‘Today’s the day Pinkamena.... I can feel it... It must be my Pinkie sense telling me she will say yes!’

To hid the inner explosion of joy, Pinkie leapt over to main table where she had laid out the first few items she required. “Would my super duper baking buddy like to help by getting us some apples then? I’ll finish setting these other things up.”

“Sure Pinkie. Anything for ya.”

The last few words only made it harder to keep herself under control and avoid blurting out the question Pinkie knew she needed to hold off blurting until the opportune moment.

----------

Two mare’s stood around the table of the bakery at Sugarcube corner. A light flowery mist of baking hug in the air. It was a scene of fun, laughter and friendship. A scene Pinkie was wishing to add one more word to...love.

Although the mare herself would have preferred to be doing a little more than just baking, she restrained herself. It was hard, to hold the randomness of Pinkie Pie back was a feat even the mare herself was finding almost impossible. On several occasions, she had to fight for control of herself, else her traitors lips would meet her mare and shock the unsuspecting earth pony with a kiss.

Not one to wish to explain such random acts of passion, even now that baking was nearing it’s end, Pinkie Pie kept her muzzle as far away from her friend as she could without seeming stranger than normal.

This appeared to turn into one such time as Applejack patted her friend on the back. “Well done there, Pinkie. Ah think we really overdid ah’selves today. Now what say we sample some of these ‘ere treats?”

The contact sent a shiver of joy up the light red mare’s spine. She felt immensely proud of herself for having brought her crush along and succeeded in producing a wonderful, fun filled day of fun. But what made it feel even better was that they had created a few new secret recipes together. Pinkie felt hopeful that they could do such things again as marefriend’s in the future. To create new foods with the pony you love and then share them with others was really, truly special. “Oh, oh, oh! Yes! Let’s try this one first!” An ever so slightly shaky pink hoof nudged a luscious well encrusted apple pie toward her friend.

“Awww, shucks. That was gonna be mah pick.” Grinned the farmer.

Ever so slightly lovestruck, all Pinkie could do was admire the mare as she took her first bite. It was probably just her, but it felt like her crush had built on her advances and offering a few in return. ‘We’re going to be singing under the stars tonight! Oh I do wish I could hear her sing more. She has a very pretty voice!’

“Ya say somethin’ there Pinks?” The charming southerly voice of the hard working farmer brought the spastic pony back.

“Who me? I’m always talking.” Grinned the pink mare back at her crush.

Suddenly she froze. ‘I do hope I didn’t say any of that out loud! That would be...like...really bad. Worse than Discord coming back twice bad, except he’s now good now so that must make it worse than King Sombra bad!’

With a loud gasp, the spastic party pony fell on her back, hitting the hard floor with a loud poof.

“Ya’ alright there Pinkie?” The concerned face of the good looking farmer poked over the table at the mare in question making her heart do a few loops.

“Me? ... Just being me AJ... Random!” With a crazy grin, she leapt up and swallowed the remainder of the half eaten pie in one go. Her tongue polished off the crumbs around her mouth. She proceed to made a satisfied smack of her lips and resumed her activity of gazing happily at her companion as she lightly bounced on the spot.

“Ya’re a pig Pinkie...” Giggled the blond maned mare. “Do that again...”

No further prompts where required. The impulsive baker devoured a pie at random. She flipped it up, up, up into the air. It almost hit the roof before it spiraled back down into the waiting maw of the ever hungry pony.

“Can you do that Applejack?” The overjoyed mare, leaned forward, eager for a response.

“There aint no way Ah’m a gonna out eat ya. I remember how easily ya smashed yer way through a whole cake... and it was massive!”

“He he, he... It was scrumptalicous!” Grinned Pinkie, abuzz with happiness. “As is your cooking!” She was pretty sure that she had just sampled her crushes pie, but if not, it was still worth the added compliment.

“Well, Ah did have the best cook in Ponyville to help me.” The farmer replied as she bashfully rubbed her forelegs together.

“Nope! That was all your super wonderful awesomeness!” She was determined to give her crush the biggest compliment between the two of them. Aware that there was sure to be a reply incoming, Pinkie decided to speed talk her way into another topic. “Wanna try one of the sweeties too!”

“Why sure...” The big beautiful green eyes passed over the candy in question.

Pinkie wasn’t sure if her companion had truly accepted the compliment yet, but decided to give her a moment as she seemed to be moving on to the new topic easily enough. “But only if ya have one too.” The grin that followed was impossible for Pinkie to resist.

With gusto and many smiles, the two mare’s began to sample the tasty treats. Pinkie had the gusto and they both wore the silly smiles.

As the sugar began to hit Pinkie’s system she felt a rise in the need to touch her crush. Even just a brush.

“This one’s amazin’ Pinkie. Ah know yer treats are always good, but this batch are jus’ amazing. How in the hay do ya make yer sweets so good...”

“Maybe because I like you!” With an excited hop she realized exactly what she had blurted and speed added, “like a very good friend. My best friend!” She chose that moment to offer a quick nuzzle to her crush who blushed.

“Awww... Shucks Pinkie. Tha’s very kinda o’ ya.”

Pinkie Pie felt an attack of the warm fuzzies. They lit up her system like a wild bush fire and she hopped excitedly around the room before she rushed back over, popped another sweet into her gob and nuzzled her companion once more.

This certainly had progressed better than she could ever dream. Pinkie only hoped that the afternoon would continue to go this well.

“Would you like to try a few more recipes? Come up with some more fun Pinkie and Applejack treats and meals?”

“Sure. Jus’ as long as ya samplin’ doesn’t include eatin’ everything we make.” Joked the blond-maned earth mare.

“I can manage.” The baker nodded back, sage-like for a moment before she broke down into giggles.

-----


“Thats it! Ah’m stuffed!” A full looking Applejack settled down beside a buzzing Pinkie Pie.

At the contact, Pinkie gave a teeny-tiny squirm of delight, that was another successful part of the day over. The latest batch of goddies were sitting on the bench, cooling slowly in the noon day sun. Their smells tingled the buzzing mare’s nose. They called to her. She knew that soon it would be taste test time!

She settled back to take in the rest of the scene. The place held a romantic atmosphere. Late afternoon rays of sun lit the scene before her, making the fine mist of baking glow in an almost surreal way. ‘Add candles and there would be sweet romanticness fit for a Pinkie and her most perfect of perfect mares!’

“Okay. Well... we can save the rest for the most wonderful super amazing party and for you to sell tomorrow at your stall.” Brimming with confidence, Pinkie Pie leaned against her friend and licked her muzzle.

The receiver giggled softly and brushed her suddenly flushed face with a strong orange hoof. “Now... don’t tell me, ah’m tasty too.”

Pinkie giggled softly and wrapped a forehoof around her companion. “Well you do have a tasty face after all the fun baking we’ve had.”

She sneakily snuck in a tentative sniff of her crush’s scent. It was filled with the smells of baking. Yet under all those smells of cinnamon and spice, she could still sense the fragrance of apples and sweat. Here she was, her mare in her grasp. It felt very good to be able to relax with a secret special somepony. It almost felt like the mighty farmer was her special somepony.

That thought sent a torrent of bubbles through the pink mare. Bubbles of joy. Bubbles of nervousness. Also, of courage. Her tail gave a twitchy twitch while her mane gave an itchy itch. It was not one of her usual Pinkie sensations.

This could only mean one thing!

‘Now’s the time!’

“Um... Applejack?”

As if able to sense the change in mood, the strong farmer glanced into the eyes of the mare who held her. “Yea? Somethin’ on ya mind there?”

A nervous nod followed. Suddenly, her mind filled with words she wanted to say, to share with her remarkable companion and let her know she was loved.

The talkative pony lightly bit her lip. The only problem seemed to be the release of her emotions. Why did this have to be so hard? It was normally so easy to let loose with a torrent of words.

After a few more moments silence, Applejack gave up and settled back against the cool floor, happy enough to wait for companion to speak her random mind.

“Applejack...” ‘Now come on! Say the rest!’ Those wonderful green eyes met her own and Pinkie knew now was the moment she had been awaiting. It was now or never.

“I-think-I-like-you-a-lot!”

The well worn hat fell from the orange mare’s head as she jerked, unable to believe what her ears had caught. “Come again?”

The pink pony took a super large gulp of air. ‘Don’t mess this one up!’ “Will you be my marefriend?”

She found herself dumped on the hard floor in a confused mess as her friend and once secret crush stared down at her in disbelief. “Yer what?! No! Ah can’t...”

Those were not words of love. They were words of shock, rejection, and of somepony who didn’t love her back.

"But Applejackie… I am being serious." The normally bouncy party pony pouted, brushing a hoof along the floor in a oddly shy fashion.

And that was were her day, her dream come true had shattered into a million-trillion pieces.

-----

There she was. Despite all her best intentions, she didn’t get the apple of her desire. With a shudder, Pinkie let out another breath she hadn’t realized she had been holding onto and re-entered the world.

She stared blakly at the older mare in front of her who waved a hoof in her face. The light blue mare had a tear in her eye as she gazed pleadingly at her charge.

“Im okay...” Pinkie bowed her head, breathing deep as feeling came to the rest of her.

“No your not dear. Please try and stay with me today.”

This got Pinkie’s brain going. It went into overdrive. She thought about the good she knew would come from a day by the side of the pony who was most like a mother to her in ponyville. It was a thought that comforted her, stilled her panicked mind.

“I will. Pinkie-promise...” She followed with the required hoof motions. She did truly mean it.

A rueful smile was the reply to her promise. Mrs Cake turned and trotted into the kitchen, ready for work.

With a shake of her head, Pinkie did her best to rid herself of the multitude of thoughts that still threaded to ruin her day.

She briskly followed, eager to get away from her own thoughts in favor of other ponies company. Any way to get back to normal was worth her pursuit.

She spotted the door to the outside room where ponies were busy with their morning meal at the much loved Sugarcube Corner.

There were single ponies and couples, all busy enjoying themselves. As her Blue eyes scanned the crowd, Pinkie spotted cyan and then yellow of two of her friends.

With a parting glance at her blue mentor, she bounded up to the two lover birds. She did her best to look happy, despite her mane, which told the world otherwise.

Just as she was about to open her mouth and announce her presence, Pinkie spotted a small poster stack off to the side of Rainbow Dash. On the top of the pile was a Wonderbolts poster, with more underneath. It appeared to be advertising for something. However what drew Pinkie Pie’s eye was the middle. Right in the center was Soarin’ and oh boy did he look a little bit too victorious for Pinkie Pie’s liking. “She can never love you...” Those words hit her like a ton of bricks, they washed away the joy she had began to feel. Now, once again, it felt like she was alone. She backed off, eager to not be noticed by the two pegasi who were still in their own little world of upendi.

It couldn’t be. Yet the dangerous twitch on her right shoulder persisted.

Maybe her inside meanie see-it-all was right.

In a pink blur, she took off out of the semi-crowded room and sidled up beside her mentor, ready as best she could be right now, to work.

Confusion racked her system of randomness and Pinkie Pie fought hard to focus, to listen to what her friend and teacher was talking about. This journey, this day of baking was sure be a hard one.

It was only one of her best friends saying no after all.

If so, why did it matter that Applejack was most likely about to find herself a date?

And why did it continue to hurt so?

Author's Note:

I hope this was a good chapter. I like how they are getting longer again. The internal scene at the start was a lot of fun. Im just wondering how effective this chapter was as a whole as I do jump around a bit.

If you have anything to say on how effective they thought things were, (or if you think I missed something) I'm keen to hear it. :pinkiehappy::ajsmug:

Chapter 4 Im looking forward to, but it wil take some time.