• Published 2nd Aug 2013
  • 1,029 Views, 13 Comments

Death's Bargain - Haseo



The elements are gone. Soul Tearer is gone and even Princess Celestia is gone. Where is faith when you need it the most? Maybe even Death will become a reliable ally in face of the upcoming danger. Official sequel to: 'The darkness among the S

  • ...
1
 13
 1,029

Chapter 18 - Doubt

Chapter 18
Doubt

Princess Luna waited idly in her chamber. Nothing occupied her mind more than the fate of her beloved ex-student and Applejack. She shouldn't let them go. From the very beginning she had a bad feeling about this. The fact that Soul made some ominous deal with Death didn't help. But nevertheless, she was patiently waiting for their return.

Her waiting was soon interrupted by a hesitant knock on the door.

“Come inside.”

The door slowly swung open and revealed Fluttershy's appearance. The timid mare stepped carefully into the room. Her head was lowered to the ground while she walked towards the Princess. “I don't want to interrupt you, but I really need somepony to talk to and I don't know to whom I could turn.”

The Princess offered her shy friend a warm and welcoming smile and invited her closer to her. “I have always time for my dear friends. Please tell me what is troubling you.”

Fluttershy didn't know where to start. Never before she had to talk about somepony that was so dear to the Princess in a negative way. “Uhm, you know it is about Soul...”

Princess Luna cocked an eye on the butter-coloured pegasus but she could already think of the reason for her concern. Fluttershy paused for a second before she could bring up enough confidence to speak up. “I still can't forget this mind read thing. The pictures are still flashing in my mind.”

She knew that this topic would come up again. Princess Luna still felt uncomfortable when she remembered this moment of dissipated rage and wrath. Only very few times she was afraid of Soul but he becomes more foreign to her every time they meet. “I'm very sorry that he had to take such drastic measures. But his time may be limited and the evil is still out there. He had his reasons.”

Fluttershy only managed to shook her had slightly. There was still fright inside her voice and movements. “It's not about that, I can live with the short pain that he had served to me. And I'm okay that we knows everything about me. What troubles me is that I could see into his memories as well. Don't take this the wrong way, there were many happy memories together with you. But the most of them were sinister and dark. Many times he had to witness death and loss. Ponies that he loved had died in front of his eyes. I think in his place I couldn't bear this pain. I really admire him for his strength. But these moments of faith became lesser while he fought for us two years ago. Many times he dwelt in doubt. After he decided to sacrifice himself... his own soul and body got torn apart. I felt it like I was there myself. Over and over the pictures of the deaths of his loved ones flashed in front of his eyes. It was seemingly never ending strive of pain and misery. After this, the connection broke loose and I could close my eyes again. With every step he does, with every enemy he defeats... he gets even more unsure and he has begun to doubt himself.”

The Princess couldn't bear the thought of Soul suffering so much for their sake. The tears were already forcing their way outside, but she could hold them back for now. “I always believed that Soul was a strong stallion. Many times I have asked myself what would have been if I never took him under my wings. Maybe his life would have been better and he didn’t have to suffer so much. It is so kind of you that you come to me and tell me about Soul's secret worries. You are really a good friend, Fluttershy.”

The timid mare scratched her hoof above the ground. She quietly raised her voice only barely loud enough to be heard. “This wasn't everything. Even though my eyes were closed, I still got two memories from him. They were so powerful... so full of fright.”

Fluttershy began to shiver while she spoke. But nevertheless, she stayed brave and continued to share her experience with Princess Luna. “There was something huge standing in front of him. He was shaking in fear. My own heart froze upon this sight. I can't even remember it’s face. I couldn't think of something different than running for my life. But Soul just stood there and watched him. This thing talked to him but I couldn't understand a single word. It seemed like Soul knew what it was talking somehow. This must have been shortly before he returned to us.”

Princess Luna was eager to know what the second memory was. Maybe it clears out the last details of Soul's return. “What was the second memory?”

Fluttershy inhaled deeply before she could going on. “The second memory was so surreal I don't know if it was real or not. He was standing on a vast empty field. Underneath his hooves was a little pond. He constantly looked inside and watched us. It was like a portal to our world where he could watch us every day. But he wasn't alone there. A greyish mare with a white top-hat was flying around him. She were stroking over his neck and flank. It felt really intimate and embarrassing. It was strength. This mare was only a pegasus, but Soul was definitely afraid of her. She could do everything with him, and she did everything. One day the mare violated him; she played with him in a very mature way. Usually he didn't resist, but this single time he struck her down and pinned her to the ground. Soul began to shout. This time the mare didn't resist. She just glared at him for a minute before she whispered something to him. Finally they got up and both of them walked to the pond. The mare flew around his neck and stroked him gently. She whispered something into his air and Soul jumped into the pond. This is the end of the memory. Soul Tearer is slowly losing his faith towards himself.”

Princess Luna smiled gently at Fluttershy. The timid mare immediately noticed the forced nature of the Princess' friendly gesture. Princess Luna wanted to prevent Fluttershy from worry at any cost, but she had to give up her hope quickly.

The noise of a rapidly running pony's hooves sounded through the hall in front of Princess Luna's private chamber. Slowly the sound became audible to the two ponies as well. The sound faded quickly, but instead, the door bashed open.

A completely breathless and highly stressed Royal Guard had stormed inside. He was panting and sweating like he had ran away from the Lunacy itself. Hastily the guard bowed to the Princess before he began to report. “I'm sorry, my Princess, that I have to burst in so impolitely, but we got word from one of our scout teams. Strange things occurred in the valley of Los Pegasus. It seemed like a path had rot itself into the fields. Our scouts wanted to go closer, but before they could get near it, a black wall erected out of the ground and shielded the creatures inside. The scene was to far away, they couldn't say if there were ponies involved... so they decided to fly towards the wall. The city of Los Pegasus hovered exactly over those walls, so the scouts couldn't get a sight from above. But before they got close enough … Los Pegasus got destroyed.”

Fluttershy and the Princess gasped in shock. The Princess of the Night could only barely imagine an entire city disappearing. “How is this possible? An entire city can't disappear just like that! What happened down there? Answer me this instant!”

The guard gulped. He was still withholding something. “Before our team could reach the city, a massive thunderstorm brewed up. It remained completely silent … until it discharged one single powerful time. The lightnings pierced through the clouds and dispersed them into thin air. Everything that stood near this thunderstorm disappeared. Nothing of the city remained like it never existed in the first place. I'm afraid to say that there were no survivors. Every pony living in Los Pegasus died … regardless of adult or foal.”

Tears began to run frankly down Princess Luna's face. It has been such a long time since an entire city was eradicated from the face of Equestria. She bit her lip and wept. Completely disbanded was the Princess searching for words. “Who... Who! WHO DID THIS?”

She was desperately crying. Something rose up inside of her heart that she thought was long gone. It was the desire to make the one responsible for this pay. Her magic lit up. Rage pulsed through her veins. Only until the guard continued his report. “The scouts put all their bravery together and dared to peek a look inside the black walls. Standing inside its centre was a lone black stallion. The burned ashes of a being that could belonged to a pony laid to his hooves. The stallion was maliciously laughing. The stallion standing there … was Captain Soul Tearer.”

Princess Luna couldn't believe her own ears. This was the one thing that she thought would never happen again. It felt like a cold dagger in her heart. Soul seemed to be so precious, so caring... and yet he annihilated a whole city. She couldn't even form one rational thought it was a mix of depression and anger inside her mind.

Fluttershy watched the stunned Princess fight with her emotions. Her own heart ached by the thought of countless pegasi dead. The thought of Soul being a mass murderer was awful. She knew that he had killed before in his darker times, but the Soul Tearer she knew was different, at least she thought so.

The guard watched his majesty fight with herself. He bowed down and slowly proceeded to walk backwards out of the room and left them alone, to avoid being a target of hers. Princess Luna gnashed with her teeth. There was one single thought left. When the scouts could already report. Why is Soul taking so long to return?

Her thoughts got quickly interrupted by the sound of a blazing fire, burning at the end of the room close to the balcony. The Princess spun around and looked inside the black flames, waiting for the ponies to appear. The far distant flame began to form into a unicorn. Princess Luna immediately stepped forward to face him. But the second source of fire laid her hooves at her chest, holding her back.

Princess Luna looked down at the still faintly burning form of Applejack. The orange farmer stared directly into the Princess's eyes and shook gently her head. Princess Luna's eyes shot forward and drilled through Soul's back. He was just leaning at the balcony framing, looking outside. He didn't pay any attention to them. Just simply glaring sadly outside was the only thing he did.

The Princess gnashed with her teeth. But something was wrong with him. He looked the same but the magic around him felt different. She couldn't put a hoof on it, but Soul has certainly changed once more. All of his pride seemed to be gone. Her gaze strived down to the shaking farmer to her hooves. She didn't notice before, but around Applejack's neck were some strange little scratches and scars. Even tiny drops of blood were still on her coat. Taken aback by Applejack's condition, the Princess paused in her steps. “Applejack? What happened to you?”

Applejack took her hooves down and gently stroked over the bloody spots. There was no pain in her face but sorrow. She rose her voice, it sounded week and soft. “It doesn't matter. Ah simply didn't pay enough attention and Soul saved meh just in time. Like he always does.”

Princess Luna could already see that Applejack was hiding something. But for the moment she couldn't bother. “Please, can you tell me what happened in the valley of Los Pegasus?”

The sad frown upon Applejack's face grew only wider by the thought of the screaming pegasi. “Ah'm sorry, Princess. But Soul and Ah got parted while we travelled to the valley. When Ah reached him the fight was already over. Ah don't know what happened exactly.”

She could tell that Applejack told her the truth. It bothered her. It was a thorn in her eye. Her blood was still boiling while the lone stallion was still leaning at the balcony. Princess Luna wanted to step closer but Applejack was stood still in her way. “So he is the only one who can tell us what happened down there?”

Applejack turned slightly her head. Her neck was still hurting but she had to deal with it for now. She eyed Soul carefully. An uncomfortable shiver ran through her spine. “Ah guess that's true. But he isn't comfortable with talkin' right now. We shouldn't bother him anymore and go on. Famine lost.”

Princess Luna gnashed her teeth. The answer were right in front her hooves. Why shouldn't she just ask him? The tension forced the Princess to spread her wings. Her voice sounded calm, but it was well audible how much she suppressed her anger. “This wasn't a minor incident. It’s not like you destroyed one single house. An entire city has been eradicated. I can't act like nothing happened. Somepony has to take the responsibility for this! And every of us knows who will this somepony be!”

The orange farmer tried to shield Soul from Princess Luna's unforgiving gaze. Sweat began to pour down her forehead. “Please Luna! Believe meh when Ah say-”

A cold chilling gust blew through the room. The balcony doors were still closed. Nevertheless came the gust from the direction of the struggling stallion. He didn't turn or bat an eye on them just his voice became audible. “It is okay, Applejack. Please don't bring yourself into trouble for me. You shouldn't protect me anymore. I will tell her exactly what happened, so we can end all of this.”

Applejack blinked rapidly at him. He hadn't spoken a word since then. She gulped and went out of Princess Luna's way. The Princess didn't show her anger. She just sat down and waited for him to begin.

Soul heard the Princess settle down and his small sinister laugh rang through the room. It didn't sound prideful and strong like before. It had more of something sick and twisted. There was still this faint echo in his voice. “When Applejack and I got parted, I went down the stony path down the mountains and headed for a white boulder underneath Los Pegasus. The apocalyptic stallion named Famine was already waiting for me there, like Lunacy once waited for me. I tried to fight him but there was no sense. He was strong. At the beginning he might have been even more powerful than me. So we talked to each other. Never before I actually listened to an enemy. But he told me the truth... the truth about myself. I never noticed before but he was right with everything he said. I'm only a tiny light that tries to devour everything in order to grow. Trying to shine brighter than everypony around me. If I'm honest... every single soul that I have consumed during my lifespan is brighter then my own. Harmony was such a wonderful pony. She brought balance to everything. Ponies stopped fighting just because of her. Even Midnight Veil was a better pony than me. She gave up everything for other ponies, regardless if stranger or not. Her heart was pure. Mine is rotten. Star Swirl was by far a greater pony than I will ever be. He was calm and intelligent. He would never made such serve mistakes that I did. Sometimes I'm wondering what would have happened if it was Star Swirl instead of me. If he had survived our clash back then. I'd bet that he wouldn't let something like that happen...”

Underneath her anger, the heart of Princess Luna ached. Something between a wince and cry for help escaped the strained lungs of the beaten stallion. He only paused for a short moment before his weeping turned into words again. “Famine showed me the meaning of evanescence. And in return I have showed him. I've caged us inside massive black walls so nopony could enter. I let myself drift into anger and madness. I felt so strong. It felt so good to let my wrath ran free. Hehe, It felt liberating to molest him. Every single scar that I had burned his flesh made me feel happiness. It is so much fun to fight somepony that constantly heals himself. You can beat him over and over again. He will always stand back up again. I got tired of him and decided to get rid of him. So I burned his flesh and smashed him against the very same boulder where he had waited for me. He was so pitiful. I wanted to relief him from his shame. My magic streamed frankly out of me and before I really thought about it a giant cloud filled with my magic hovered above us and the city of Los Pegasus. It felt so right in this very moment. I forced my magic back to the earth. It doesn't matter if something was in my way. My magic soared down. I pointed my horn at this pitiful shadow in front of my hooves. For a split second I heard their screams. It was such a great pleasure to hear him wince. The smell of his burned flesh was distinctive. I almost forgot how much I loved this smell...”

Princess Luna couldn't bear it anymore. Hearing him talking in such a cruel way was too much for her. Tears were flowing towards the ground. There were so many things she could say but no words wanted to leave her mouth. She only barely managed to withhold her sobbing.

She watched Soul's mad grin grew wider. It seemed like the shadow around him grew and swallowed him. His voice had become once more deeper and hollow. The air around them was almost cold enough to freeze water to ice. “After I've brought him down... I devoured his soul and power like I did with the soul of Pestilence. But this wasn't enough to please my bloodlust. So I devoured every single soul of the pegasi that have died above me. I never felt so powerful before...”

Slowly, she stumbled towards her former student. Ice-crystals began to grow on her midnight blue coat while she got closer. Her muscles got tired of the cold. She couldn't bring herself to move any further. “Soul? What are you talking about? Have you forgotten everything that happened after our ways parted? Please tell me that you are just making a cruel joke...”

Soul still didn't turn, he stubbornly remained at his spot. “A cruel joke? No... the joke is that I have played nicely for too long. This is my true nature. And this will never change.”

Princess Luna looked quickly at Applejack. But she was looking into a far distant corner of the room. Far away from Soul and the rest of then. The Princess woke up from her trance by the sound of a light-hoofed pegasus.

Fluttershy made slowly her way through the wall of freezing air and stop behind Soul for a second. The tips of her mane were already frozen and would break into a thousand pieces if they hit something hard. Her hooves slipped underneath Soul's, she let her head rest on his shoulders and closed her eyes, taking the stallion into a caring embrace. “Maybe it wasn't intended. Maybe it was but you shared your memories with me when you searched through mine. And I know that you aren't the pony you are claiming to be. You were a monster, but you've changed. You became kind and generous. I don't know what happened in Los Pegasus, but I'm sure you wouldn't do something bad to another pony if you weren't forced to. Please look inside your heart. Please come back to us, as you were.”

Despite the warmth of Fluttershy's body, the air between got even colder. Small pillars of frozen air built around Fluttershy and stroked above her coat. The pillars formed claws at their tips and grabbed Fluttershy's hooves. The claws pulled her away from him and threw her back. His sinister grin was gone. But his sadness was still there. “I couldn't expect something different from the pony that had wielded the Element of Kindness. But you are mistaken. I'm not kind... I'm cruel. Maybe I'm really the one who will bring Equestria down... “

Fluttershy rubbed her hooves together to warm up from Soul's coldness. The Princess wrapped Fluttershy into her wing and warmed her with her plush feathers. The Princess of the Night tried to find her attitude but there was still anger inside of her. But the fear for Soul overwhelmed her for the moment. “Soul, I can not possibly know what happened to you. But this isn't like the stallion I've raised. Please come to your senses. You know what is the right thing to do.”

A hot breath left Soul's mouth. It became visible in the cold air around him. “You are right. I know exactly what I have to do...”

Applejack gulped. It was this voice again. It was so similar to the sound of his voice in the valley of Los Pegasus. “Soul, please think about it. We still have to find Twilight. How shall we do it without your help?”

For the first time Soul moved. He distanced himself from the framing and turned his head to Applejack. His horn began to glow in a darkish blue. “The end is where we begin. We all shall return to the point where this journey has began. Farewell, my friends.”

Soul's body faded into the air and left the chamber together with the cold. Confused, they looked at each other, not knowing what to do.

The exact opposite of the scene in the castle occurred in a dark cave far off Canterlot. War walked towards a throne crafted out of citrin. She bowed down in front of her mistress. “My mistress, I've raised the army you demanded. How do you wish to continue?”

The glowing mare licked over her lips. Her pink-reddish eyes glared at the pretty apocalyptic mare beneath her. “Well done, my little filly. Our next step will be to find Twilight Sparkle.”

War raised her head and stared questioning at her mistress. “An entire army just to find this Twilight Sparkle?”

The mistress began to chuckle. She let her wings strive above the rests of her throne. “Twilight won't be the only pony there. You might even get the chance to fight him again...”