• Published 29th Jan 2013
  • 986 Views, 3 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: A New Age, A New Life - Part II - BlueDWarrior



The continuation of the saga with Conduits of Terra and the Bearers of Harmony.

  • ...
19
 3
 986

CH 2: The New Alliance

The Conversion Bureau: A New Age, A New Life - Part II
Chapter 2: The New Alliance

---[[ September 27, 2081 @ Safe Haven ]]

"So tomorrow is the day of decision, isn't it" a female voice said throughout the main computer room of Safe Haven. She was floating amongst the different monitors, using the cameras around the room to look at the various operators and guests within.

"Yes, Miss Shift. The Princesses and the HEA have been conducting talks on and off for the last six weeks. But everyone is to meet formally to finalize the treaties and make any final changes tomorrow." one of the human operators responded, noting how Miss Shift seemed to turn red when talking to Humans.

Away from the main computer room, Ponies and Humans were milling about, completing their preparations, hopefully before the deal itself was to be completed the next day. Food was being prepared, decorations and banners representing all four principles were set up in the main reception hall. All in all, things were set up to record what would possibly be the most momentous occasion in the history of both of the worlds involved. At least, that was the hope of all the people working and living in Safe Haven.

Captain Julio Rodriguez, now more or less the head of the human security forces for the H.E.A., sat in one of the common areas. The human population of Safe Haven had adjusted to the ambiance of the space-station like base of operations quite easily, most of them having lived in similar conditions one way or another anyway. He looked at one of the surplus rifles as he thought about the late Capt. Johnson.

It still hurts... We came up in the Service Academy together... And now I'm pretty much the go-to authority on military affairs for the time being...

He sat on a bench as he stared at the many tools of warfare that marked this era of Humanity, and took the time to engage in some somewhat deep contemplation about the situation.

Is this ultimately what the legacy of Humanity will be, a bunch of tools for waging war? I can't think that it'll end like this... But... I just don't know what to think about it all...

A guards-pony noticed Captain Rodriguez lying on the bench staring up into the ceiling, and decided to give the Human some company.

"Excuse me? Um, Captain Rodriguez? Wouldn't it be better to rest in your room, I can't imagine those benches to be comfortable..." she said, somewhat nervous still around all the firearms stored away for use by the Human security forces, such that they existed in Safe Haven.

"Oh, don't mind me, I wasn't planning on going to sleep in here. I was more thinking about the whole situation to this point," Julio said as he sat upright again.

"Oh, I see..." the female guards-pony said, her anxiety around the modern weapons of war obvious to Julio.

Sensing an opportunity to bounce his internal ideas off a sounding board, he decided to start a conversation. "Firearms of all shapes and sizes, that could fire all types of ammunition. Humans are extremely well-practiced at the art of warfare."

The female guard's ears perked up, and decided to respond to the young captain's assertions. "You make yourself sound like wingless Gryphons."

Julio chuckled at the response. "From what I hear of the Gryphons, I guess that'd be a fair assessment. Although seeing as we aren't raptor/feline hybrids, we had to go a little beyond the pale in developing our tools."

The Earth-Pony mare sat on the floor next to Julio, a little less anxious around all the firearms and such. "Yeah, we still have to deal with a few 'stragglers' who want to lead the 'traditional Gryphon lifestyle'. Most of the weapons they use at first blush wouldn't compare to this. But then again, being a predator by nature, they are living weapons in-and-of-themselves."

Rodriguez then began to contemplate the idea of a Gryphon outfitted like one of the SPH's grunts. "Yeah, the idea of something with a eagle's vision, a cat's reflexes, and heavy ordnance scares the hell out of me. I guess that's why tomorrow is so important."

"Yeah if we can get the Gryphons on board with the whole thing, it can go a long way to fixing what broke in this world apparently," she thought out loud, gasping at her last statement. Julio motioned that she shouldn't feel like she needed to hold anything back in this discussion.

"Anyway, while we're talking, it'd be nice if I got your name. Honestly it's hard for me to keep all you guards-ponies straight. If I remember correctly, your armor turns your coats colors like a magical uniform."

"Oh right. My name is Granite Base. I got it because I tend to act as a strong foundation for any team I'm a part of."

Hrm, I guess I could chide the Ponies for having such obvious theme naming... but we do the same thing anyway, just a few extra layers... Julio thought to himself, inwardly chuckling at how obvious some of the Ponies' names were.

---

The two continued to talk, comparing each other's military philosophy in an abstract sense.

"I can see why armor was the first thing you all suggested we make for this rearmament project. A world full of belligerent monsters, like yours, would tend to make you prioritize survival and continued pursuit of a goal," Julio remarked, thinking just what kind of weird world would produce such a nominally peaceful species despite all the screwed up things that apparently lived there.

Granite chuckled at the notion. "I could say the same for you all in terms of how you all think in terms of the military. At least, how the formal military appears to think. Although it seems like your 'monsters' tend to wear the same skin as you all, so to speak."

"Makes you wonder what’s better: to not be able to see the monsters around you, but then not know when they are ready to strike? Or to be able to see them all around you, and have to live with the fact that they are around you at all times?" Julio asked, as he laid back down on the bench.

"It's hard to say. I'd personally like seeing the monsters, but I can see how that'd wear on the mind too," Granite responded, taking her helmet off.

Julio noticed the well-kept and braided mane, reminding himself of so many of the female infantry he served with until that point. Shouldn't surprise me really, but she is pretty cute I guess.

He sat up on the bench, as the mare near him looked more and more comfortable in the armory now that she had someone to talk to. "I can see why you'd think that Miss Granite. Sometimes I think that's what's been happening on this side the last 50 years. People got so tired of having to worry about who the monsters were, they just retreated into this, I guess false world where the monsters were so clearly obvious."

Granite could tell Julio was irritated and depressed, and probably by far more than just losing his colleague those weeks and months ago. "I've read of the condition of much of the populace; and it does seem like apathy is the reigning sentiment. Forgive me for speaking out of turn or too harshly, but it is just so depressing to see a population as large and potentially vibrant look so... so... um..."

"Dull and gray, like a pencil sketch?" Julio finished

"Yeah, I guess that's a diplomatic way to put it..." Granite affirmed nervously.

"Well, I think it's true, at least to some extent. I think it wouldn't take much to restore humanity back to 'full color' as it were, even discounting how Ponification would literally turn you colors. At the same time though, with the SPH in charge, well..."

"Well what?"

"Let's just say that some movies produced about a century ago might start looking more prescient than they already were and are..."

"Come again?"

Julio rubbed his hand against his face, inwardly telling himself that Granite wouldn't have gotten such an oblique reference if she was a Native. "Perhaps I should go find some classic movie and comic book buffs, they can better explain it to you. We could probably both do without being around all these firearms anyway."

"Yeah, I see what you mean."

The human and pony then walked out of the armory space, hoping there was a free media room somewhere out there.


---[[ September 28, 2081 @ Safe Haven ]]

"Well it looks like we are rapidly approaching zero hour..." Blue Vague said out loud to himself, as he looked out at the massive underground arena that was recently carved out. One of the benefits of being literally based inside of a mountain no one cared about.

Princesses Celestia, Luna, and Cadence were all in full regalia as they sat on rather plain looking cushions await the formal arrival of the other heads of state. The upper echelons of the Equestrian military were also represented well, dressed oddly enough in dress uniforms and in their natural colors; not that anyone noticed with Shining Armor since he was naturally white-coated. The HEA and the other volunteers also were dressed formally, with the leadership, including of course Mr. Edwards, wearing blue armbands with gold trim to separate themselves from the volunteers. The Six Bearers of Harmony and the Four Conduits of Terra were dressed in the Pony equivalent of business casual, each having an insignia of their Element stitched on a foreleg-band. Spike sat off to the side, in meditation while going over his last lessons in his mind, and hoping he wouldn't be roped into anything before the start of the proceedings.

"Alright everyone, the diplomatic corps and Heads of State from the Gryphon Federated Kingdoms, The Republic of Zebra Tribes, and the Dragon Nomad Central Council should be here any minute now. Also, please no gawking. I really don't know how exactly each race will react once they get here, and I'd like our negotiations to not stall because of a some kind of unintentional insult," Richard said sternly to all the humans assembled.

All the humans nodded and spoke in agreement.

"I'm still nervous around the Gryphons though, I guess I just have to be around them longer than three days just to get used to it," Golden Storm quipped, as the ten Elements were all clustered around each other, carrying on side conversations with passers-by and amongst themselves.

"I guess that's why some of the young Gryphons attend the flight camps back in Equestria. To get us all used to each other. I know it was nice seeing Gilda again; never knew she was a part of King Guile's core clan, though," Rainbow Dash responded, wondering if her dress 'uniform' was a little too ostentatious.

"Indeed. Apparently King Guile's house is responsible for ending the last Pony-Gryphon War some 230 years ago, wasn't it?" Fluttershy thought aloud.

"The last major conflict between the Ponies and Gryphons was officially ended with the Ceasefire of Trottingham-Rockwall approximately 234 years ago," Twilight clarified, not missing an opportunity to flaunt her truly impressive-for-her-age font of knowledge.

"Signed by King Gauss, so named because of his trademark magnetic dual-blades he wore while in battle. His funeral and the formal ascension of his son, and Guile's father, King Pyrus, was truly a momentous occasion..." Princess Celestia added, nodding as she somewhat surprised the group by coming over to talk with them before the other's arrival.

"No surprise that you'd remember something like that. I guess the feelings were quite tense back then," Vague reasoned aloud.

"Indeed. And amongst some of clans, they still are. They cling bitterly to their old lifestyle, even 200-plus years after the fact," Celestia sighed as she thought of all the skirmishes afterward that might have re-opened the old wounds between nations. Thankfully Pyrus was able to contain the stragglers until many of the Gryphons acceded to the idea of raising meat in farms.

"Anyway, Princess, not to be too much of a prying mare; but I heard that there were some concessions you had to make in order to get those three on-board. Care to give us the skinny?" Red Blaze asked.

"No, my dear Element of Fire. Though the full terms will be announced before long, so will just have to restrain yourselves until then," Celestia replied, noting how briefly disappointed Blaze looked.

"I did enjoy my time in the Zebra Savannahs though, found a lot of interesting seeds to try out here. They are extremely good at horticulture," Midori Hana thought out loud as she thought inwardly about the sealed jars full of various seeds to try out.

"Yeah. The more Ah think about it, the more Ah realize Zebras and us Earth Ponies aren't that far apart. Just a matter of perspective Ah guess," Applejack mused, shrugging at the end.

"Heh, you should have seen Twilight and Blaze back in Karrak-za-Jalve. Both were absolutely astounded by their libraries and the information networks respectively," Vague remarked jokingly, before getting a rap in the foreleg from both named mares.

"Hopefully we get some time to make return trips and study more in-depth-ly. I have a feeling that we're gonna need all the resources possible going forward, if we want to make this smooth anyway," Twilight said, while, nodding sagely. Everyone agreed.

Celestia's horn suddenly lit up, as did Luna's and Cadence's. "Hrm, I would take that to mean our dignitaries should now be here any second. All spectators are to move to the seats so that we may properly give space to our guests."

With that announcement, all but the principles and (their attendants) to the negotiations walked or jogged into the seats, as the thaumatic sensors showed that quite a number of arrivals from Equus were now Earth-side.

"Ladies and Gentlemen. Fillies and Gentlecolts. I am pleased to announce the arrival of Prime Minister Al'Kadar and the Central Ministers from the Republic of Zebra Tribes," Princess Luna announced with an unusual degree of warmth.

With that, the metal doors opened and out marched roughly twenty Zebras, all varying shades of gray, black, and brown stripes on neat, white fur. The humans noted how the Zebras looked like striped and slightly larger Earth Ponies, although most knew now their magic had a different basis in it. Others noticed the flag of Zebra Republic, a vertical banner much like the Equestrian flag, except it was a simple, stylized white-and-gold Zebra head on a black background, and a pair of thin red and green stripes going cross-wise at the top and bottom. As the contingent marched toward the center stage, the flag was placed onside the flags and banners already there, the black a stark contrast to the white, gold, and blue of the HEA and the soft aqua and lavender of Equestria.

"Ah, good afternoon, Princesses of Equestria and H.E.A. leaders, this should be a truly joyous occasion," Prime Minister Al'Kadar stated, his accent sounding much like old Kenyan to the ears of the Humans.

"I see the Language Transfer spell is working as intended," Princess Luna quipped, taking great pride in her MANY contributions to the larger repertoire of Pony Magic.

"Yes, it does make this entire situation far easier if we can communicate in the terms the humans can understand without an actual middle-zebra, or middle-man as it were," Al'Kadar stated in his usual genial tone.

"Miss Hana, how are you doing my dear!" shouted a female voice from the contingent of Zebras.

Midori Hana waved at the sharply dressed white-and-dark-gray striped Zebra mare. "Oh Miss Ze'Ulra, it's been awhile. Vague, this is Ze'Ulra. Zecora's younger sister and the mare we stayed with while in the Zebra Savannah." Vague and the other non-Earth Ponies 'shook' Ze'Ulra's hoof as she quickly introduced herself to them.

"Dear Hana, have you had time to start growing the seeds I sent back with you?"

"No, we've all been busy with prep for today. I guess we'll get some time later though."

"Oh don't worry, take your time. The seeds will remain good for the next 3 years in those jars, unless the jar isn't sealed properly of course."

The two mares chatted for a brief while until a new set of arrivals got everyone's attention.

Princess Celestia then began to speak. "Ladies and Gentlemen, Mares and Gentlecolts. I am proud to announce the arrival of the Dragon Nomad Central Council."

Wait... all nine are going to be here... at the same time... INCLUDING HER?! Spike thought to himself, eyes wide open like he had just woken from a nightmare.

The metal doors then opened to reveal exactly 27 Dragons, all nine of the Central Council and each bringing two of their closest aides and deputies. Wraithwind, even in while in his humanoid form, towered over the rest of the Dragons, standing around seven-and-half feet tall (his long and thick beard stretched down three feet to about his 'belly'). The humans remarked to themselves how they seemed for the most part to be leather-winged lizard-people in that form, although a few saw Wraithwind at his full size in person, which originally necessitated the carving out of this underground arena. The flag-banner they carried was burgundy, with an upturned claw that also looked like a flame given the outlines around it.

"Good day to you all. I would suppose, due to our internal secrecy, we should reveal the identities of the council so that you all may be more at ease," Wraithwind started as he cleared his throat, his accent carrying the slightest hint of German to the ears of the humans listening.

"The War and Internal Affairs Sub-Council. Headed by Bloodthorn, Razorline, and Ironguard," as Wraithwind motioned to the silver/crimson, charcoal/green, and slate-gray/white Dragons respectively

"The History and Intelligence Sub-Council. Headed by Rosethorn, Silentclaw, and Frostwing," as he then motioned to the rose-red/teal, black/blue, and sapphire/teal Dragons respectively.

"And finally the Judiciary and Core Sub-Council. Headed by Crossfire, Livewire, and myself, Wraithwind," as he pointed at a crimson/orange and a gold/black Dragon.

"We hope that this accord will mark the beginning of an age of greater coordination and understanding between our many nations and species," Wraithwind announced, with a firm yet not-overbearing voice.

The Dragons then marched to the center stage, and placed their flag opposite the Zebra flag, and awaited the final arrivals with everyone else.

"Bloodthorn, always a pleasure. Haven't seen you since the last Status of Forces meeting about 12 years ago," Southern Monsoon quipped at the silver-scaled hothead.

Bloodthorn, for her part, was professional, even if her tone of voice constantly belied a sense of annoyance at the world in general. "Yes, although I am not one for formal get-togethers. The human negotiators have managed to quell my concerns, for the time being at least."

"It sounds like the terms were agreeable to you all then. I've seen the executive summaries. I wonder how things will fare for you all?" Monsoon then asked.

"That's Intel and History's department for the most part. I'll only care if they make good soldiers afterward," Bloodthorn said curtly as she drew in a deep breath and blew out a brief flare of orange-ish flame from her nostrils.

She can be such a hard-ass, but I guess that's what makes her the premier general in the Dragon's eyes. Monsoon thought to himself as he looked at the sensors showing the last of the arrivals preparing to enter.

The metal gates opened again, and a group of eighteen Gryphons marched through, to some mild fanfare. The first thing that caught everyone's eyes was the gold and black and white trimmed banner one of the Gryphons held, beaming with pride. The humans also remarked how some of the Gryphons walked upright and others walked on all fours, but could switch without giving it a second thought. They also remarked how the Gryphons seemed to have all kinds of combination of brids of prey and big cats, including one with a strange falcon-like head and a jaguar's coat and build.

"Ah, Wraithwind, Prime Minister Al'Kadar, Princesses Celestia, Luna, and Cadence, technically, and our new friends Mr. Edwards and his merry little band," the jovial sounding Gryphon bellowed, his gold and red and black-trimmed dress regalia shimmering in the spotlights of the arena. "Today is a big, big day for all of us indeed."

I always imagined the king of the Gryphons to be a hard-ass, but he seems like the exact opposite. I doubt that's his full nature though; can't be alpha male of a giant pride of predator types acting like that... or would it be flock? Vague thought to himself as the groups began to arrange themselves according to species.

"Correct, King Guile. Today is the day we formally sign the treaty allying ourselves and the Human-Equestrian Alliance. Although I would guess after today it'd be better called the Human-Equus Alliance, wouldn't it Mr. Richards?" Celestia started.

"Yes, ma'am. Since we are entering into a formal partnership with all four of your major powers, a name change is more than called for, any of you all disagree?" Richard asked of the assembled leadership. None disagreed, and an attendant promptly typed it down as part as the official minutes of the meeting.

"Are all cameras and recording devices operating properly?" one of the engineers asked. All of the digital and analog recorders were indeed reporting all green, and the meeting was then officially begun.

-----

Celestia strode up to the microphone and lectern, decorated with a pentagon with a sliced filled in with the major color of each nation's flag and the HEA's white. "Ladies and Gentlemen, Fillies and Gentlecolts. I am Princess Celestia, Avatar of the Sun. Despite the lack of overall audience for this occasion, we all felt it necessary to record this for posterity. Over a year ago, myself and my human allies launched the first version of the Conversion Movement. Although we were making slow and steady progress, I am willing to admit a gross error in judgment, that has cost many lives and untold damage to this planet and the psychology of those alive."

She then paused to gather herself, and resumed speaking. "This error was underestimating the depth to which the Powers-that-Be amongst humanity would go to preserve their position as the blessed and the kingmakers of this world. In retrospect, I should better prepared myself and my allies for this fact. Regardless of race or species, those who have a position of power will work to protect that position, and if possible, advance it. It is simply a fact of life that I over these long centuries, have come to accept. However, I cannot ignore the plight of humans."

"Therefore, I believe it would be in our best interest in order to enlist the help of the other three great Nations of Equus, as we have decided to name the greater world Equestria inhabits. The Gryphon Federated Kingdoms, Republic of Zebra Tribes, and the Dragon Nomad Central Council have all agreed to assist us in the re-launch of the Conversion Movement. In exchange for this, we have agreed to relinquish exclusivity to Conversion. Or in more simple terms: we will develop potions in order to allow humans to convert into Gryphons, Zebras, or Dragons."

Everyone was quite surprised by that announcement, at least those who were not previously privy to the negotiations. Although the idea did seem logical to some extent in order to ensure the support of the other Nations, most wondered just why the Princesses would give up exclusive rights to Conversion.

"Now, I will allow for each of the leaders to give brief statement," and with that, Celestia strode away from the lectern, and Wraithwind approached, raising the microphone some to ensure he did not have to shout for it to pick up.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. My name is simply Wraithwind, and I am the leader of the Dragon Nomad Central Council. For millenia, we dragons have existed as independent souls, recording information and fulfilling our heart's desire as we wished, with as little interference as possible. However, due to the rapid metaphorical shrinking of our world, we feel it was now time to begin to open our society and culture to others. With that, I have formally agreed to allow the Ponies and Humans to recruit Humans to join our ranks as Dragons. In exchange, we will offer what material and personal support we can in the rebuilding efforts here on Earth. I believe both our species and others can benefit from increased openness by the Dragon species, and I am willing to extend claw and wing in order to help improve my nation and those we have now allied with. Thank you." Wraithwind then walked over to the table and placed a claw print and signed the treaty formally.

The audience clapped politely, remarking on how remarkably aged Wraithwind sounded, yet not sounding weak at the same time.

At that point, King Guile then approached the lectern, lowering the microphone to match his 6'3" (while standing) frame. "Thank you for the words, Wraithwind. Anyway, My name is King Guile of the House of Leo, King of the Gryphon Federated Kingdoms. We Gryphons are a species of great pride and honor, and we have recognized the great cultures of humanity and their pride in themselves and humanity at large. While we do not portend to be superior to Humanity, we believe we can help re-establish that sense of pride of self, regardless of the form they ultimately take. Like the Dragons before me and the Zebras after, I pledge as many resources in both personnel and expertise as we can manage, in order to ensure that this greater project is a more successful one."

The audience again clapped politely, noting the gregarious nature of King Guile and his seeming eagerness to engage the wider Earth.

As King Guile left the lectern to formally claw-print and sign the paperwork, Prime Minister Al'Kadar strode to the lectern, and stood atop a platform in order to appear at the same height, roughly, as the previous speakers. "Good Evening all. My name is Prime Minister Al'Kadar of the Tribal Congress of Zebras, the ruling body for the Republic of Zebra Tribes. Our species and the Ponies share common ancestry going back many eons; and although we have diverged in culture and magic philosophy since those times, we share general common cause with the Ponies. When we were informed and learned of Earth, we were initially skeptical of offering our help, to be perfectly blunt. However, consultation on the Earth and with the human representatives, and our own curiosity with the spiritual nature of humanity and the Earth itself, eventually lead to the Congress to approve the treaty. We pledge to not only aid in the spiritual development of those who agree to join our Zebra Herd, but to aid in the spiritual development of all species and peoples who decide to join in common cause with us. We believe, to a stallion and mare, that true understanding comes from both knowing what is seen, and what lies unseen. We hope, through our words and coming actions, to impart our collective knowledge to humanity, both those that convert and those that remain. Thank you."

The audience clapped politely yet again, noting how serene Al'Kadar sounded, and figured it was most likely a trait shared by all Zebra leaders.

Prime Minister Al'Kadar hopped off the platform and nudged it away for Richard Edwards, who was set to speak while Al'Kadar signed and hoof-printed the documents. "Good evening, my name is Richard Edwards, President of the Human-Equus Alliance, a group of humans dedicated to the restoration of Earth through the combined efforts of humanity and the races and species of the world of Equus. Humanity has a strong history, a proud history. We have worked throughout our entire existence to improve our understanding of the world, and then to use that knowledge to improve our own lives. We have grown and advanced from a primitive, ape-like creatures to being able to build these great wonders of the world. However, while we have improved our tools and our methodologies to life, we have not been able to quell our darker nature. Greed, Wrath, Envy, many of the negative aspects of human, and now I believe greater sentient thought, have taken deep root in the leadership of this world; with that, it has led our civilization to rot from the inside, and that rot of civilization is now poisoning our world. I once believed that humanity on its own could simply rectify our own problems if given enough time, but I'm afraid that time is rapidly running out. The Society for the Preservation of Humanity, simply known to us as the SPH, I believe cares very little for greater humanity. As it stands, I greatly fear that they have begun the final death-spiral for this world."

"The SPH will allow the lower classes to wither on the vine even further, which will lead to massive unrest. Combined with the magic that permeates this world deeper and deeper by the day, it will not be long until the SPH and their allies begin to truly abuse it. The eventual counter-action by the populace could spark a war - Armageddon - that our forefathers believed would lead to the ultimate and final collapse of human civilization. Perhaps it is the hope that the leadership of the SPH survives this final cataclysm in order to rebuild from the ashes, but we cannot allow humanity to simply disintegrate. While I do not believe that to truly save this world, all of humanity should be converted; I do believe the option must exist, in order to allow those who wish to escape the coming crossfire to do so safely. It is my firm belief that, thought the body may change, the spirit will live on; and ultimately, that is what evolution is. Though the particular bodies of those that live may change over time, life itself must never be allowed to be extinguished."

All in attendance clapped and cheered loudly in agreement.

He makes a fine leader of men, and would make a fine leader of any other species should he convert eventually. I simply hope he remains true to his word and ideals. Princess Luna thought to herself, as she watched Richard finger-print and sign the documentation. Afterward, both she and her sister signed and hoof-printed the documents, and a special magical seal was placed on all of the documents in order to preserve them for the near future.

Princess Celestia then cleared her throat, and made a final formal statement for the proceedings. "And with this, we now formally enter into alliance for the purpose of rebuilding this world to be one where humanity may live in harmony with nature, and eventually, in harmony with itself!" She and the other leaders then posed for photographs, both digital and non.

Everyone clapped in strong approval. They knew the problem would take a lot of planning and execution to solve, and they hoped events beyond their control would afford them said time.