• Published 28th Jan 2013
  • 632 Views, 0 Comments

Darkness Awakens 1 : Discord's Side - Tyler-the-Brony



Discord's story, from the beginning of his mind, to the end of it. Somepony looms in the background behind it all, but who could it be?

  • ...
 0
 632

Part 1: The Beginning of Chaos

“Awaken. You have slept long enough now. Rise up, in order to meet your duties.” A voice called out from the darkness that surrounded the only other creature present in this blank landscape.

This visible creature had the head of a pony, but the rest of its body appeared to be made from all sorts of different creatures, both magical and ordinary. Though this creature wasn’t aware of it yet, he was named Discord, the Spirit or God of Disharmony for the land Equestria.

At the end of the mysterious voices commands, Discord slowly began to stir from his current position in the mysterious dark world. A few long moments later, Discord had fully roused himself and stood staring avidly all around him.

“Welcome to Life Discord, Spirit of Disharmony.” The mysterious voice called out to Discord, catching his attention as Discord turned about, desperately trying to pinpoint the exact location of the voice’s origin.

“Who are you? Where are you? Where am I? What did you just call me?” Discord demanded of the voice, as confused as curious.

“This is my Discarded Realm. My punishment if you will. I have been here many a long year without another Discord.” The voice answered, very careful to be cryptic.

“A punishment for you? Well why am I here then? I have not performed the same crime as you. I have done nothing!” Discord berated the voice, curiousity still strong within his voice.

“You certainly have not Discord. But I did create you here because it is where all my power currently resides. It would have been impossible for me to define your shape and consciousness outside of this Realm. You are part of my residual power Discord.” The voice explained.

“Part of you? Nonsense! I am my own being! I have my own mind and ideals! I have my own name! Didn’t you state it as Discord a while earlier?” Discord bit back at the voice, anger apparent now.

“You may be of your own mind and body Discord, but you will never be entirely free of me. We two are joined now. And as we are dependent upon one another, I will now grant you your freedom from this place so as to enjoy your life as you see fit.” The voice laughed near the end, startling Discord.

“Why only free me from here? Why not free yourself if you possess the ability to send others away from here?” Discord inquired, confusion now immensely clear in his words.

“My power is too great to free all of it at once from this place. I may free small portions of my power at a time, but unless I condense my power and release it in influence over beings like you, I shall never be entirely free of this curse.” The voice now positively sounded ecstatic.

“What?” Discord demanded, before sight and other senses were blurred away for an instant.

“Fear not Discord, first of my Creators. You shall know what my words mean one day. But for now, go and follow my Will’s direction.” The voice whispered as Discord vanished, leaving only a blank area of space within the Realm afterwards.

**

Discord blinked a few times initially in order to clear his eyes of the lingering darkness, becoming shocked initially afterwards by the multitude of shapes, lights and colors around him. Discord had appeared in the woods near what was clearly an immense pony settlement being massively expanded at that particular time.

Discord did not yet know it, but this place was called Canterlot, the capital city of Equestria, new homeland of the Earth Ponies, Pegasi, and Unicorns. Though it had now been a long time since its founding on the first Hearth’s Warming Eve, Equestria was not yet fully settled or completely assembled. At the current moment, Canterlot Castle was being expanded over some of the older parts of Canterlot as the city spread wider to accommodate its large population.

Discord gazed upon the Castle and the city of Canterlot. Discord continued to stare at it for a few moments in silence, then felt an unresistable urge to travel towards it on foot. As soon as Discord set his goat hoof upon the cobblestone road to Canterlot, it immediately changed into soapy bubbles, yet Discord’s foot remained balanced upon the surface as well as if it were still made of cobblestone.

Discord immediately panicked and backed away, though the road remained soapy. After a few moments, it eventually returned to its original state. Shocked, Discord decided to touch a tree and see what might happen. As his paw made contact with the tree, it immediately inverted its own gravity and had its roots appear covered in dirt where its leaves had once been.

As Discord gazed at the tree before it too righted itself, Discord realized he felt no trepidation in changing things around him into odd versions of what they once were. His step upon the road proved that he could continue to exist as casually as he chose while the world bent around him.

Discord smiled malevolently at this revelation. Discord would make the whole of this new land feel his power, because he wanted to see how others might react in his stead to such changes to their natural order. Discord set off towards Canterlot again, this time choosing to somewhat casually skate over the soapy road as the world slowly revolved and changed around him, as was his will now.