• Published 24th Jan 2013
  • 820 Views, 24 Comments

The Dawn Chronicles - Book 1: The Star at Midnight - littlelionbigheart



When Princess Luna's unicorn student, Midnight Star, is brought to ponyville to study magic and other things, she finds that something isn't right. Will she be able to save Equestria from what lurks in the shadows?

  • ...
8
 24
 820

Chapter 2: The Shooting Star

The party went on for hours. Throughout almost the whole time, Midnight had her head on the table, the sounds of the ponies and music ringing in her ears. When she couldn't take it any longer, she got up, and went to her room. Just as she opened the door, Pinkie Pie came bouncing over, again.

"Oh great, hi Pinkie." Midnight sighed.

"Hiya party pony! Are you hitting the hay early? Because the party is still going on! If you leave, everpony will be sad! Do you want everypony to be sad because you wanted to sleep through your party?"

Midnight pondered on the idea for a moment.

"Yes, yes I would. If it means I can sleep!"

Midnight walked through the door and slammed it behind her. She glanced back out of the small window in the door, seeing Pinkie sitting with her mouth slightly open.

"Pinkie, what did you do?"

It was Rainbow Dash who had spoken. She sounded as though Pinkie had caused Midnight to leave, but she didn't, so why was she suddenly blaming her for something she never did?

"Rainbow! It wasn't Pinkie Pie's fault, I'd been sitting here the whole time, and it was Midnight's choice to leave."

It was Applejack. Her voice sounded scolding, but it was securing, almost loving, like a mother.

"Come on sugarcube, how about we get ya'll one of those delicious cupcakes ya made huh?"

Pinkie slowly nodded and walked with Applejack towards the snack table, While Rainbow flew to where Fluttershy and Twilight were. Midnight sat on her bed and thought about whether she should go back out there. She had a pounding headache, so thinking was sort of hard to do.


"It wouldn't be worth it." she mumbled to no one in particular.

She decided to stay in her room, since she was tired anyway. She got under the blankets and just stared out the window. It was night time already. The moon was high in the sky.

Suddenly, a shooting star raced across the sky. If there was anytime to make a wish, it would be now.

Midnight quickly thought of something to wish for. She had always wanted to sort of stand out, but in a good way, not like changeling stand out. She wanted to be extraordinary. Amazing.

"I wish that I could do something no other pony could do, something that could help Equestria one day."

She looked at the shooting star just as it was about to disappear, and she swore she saw it flash a bright green for a second.

Did shooting stars normally flash green? What could it mean? Was it something bad? all these questions would have to be answered when Midnight had the energy to actually ask them. She curled up with the soft blanket and fell asleep.

She had dreams about the possible powers or things she might have. Laser vision, super strength, and many more. She hoped that maybe, just maybe one of them would come true.




Deep in the sewers of Ponyville, the strange creatures were out hunting, and Leena and Gavier were with them.

"Leena, is it true that once a male Toxicon became friends with a female pony?"

Leena nodded with a look of disgust on her face.

"Yes, he was killed for that. Don't you remember our rules?"

Gavier shuddered. He certainly remembered. They were almost literally etched into his brain. The rule that Leena was talking about was rule #5: Under no circumstances may any Toxicon interact with a pony in any way. But he could not deny that in one way or another, ponies seemed to... attract him. They had luscious, flowing manes with sparkling eyes and clean shining coats.

A female Toxicon would be the exact opposite. A grotesque mane, dull eyes, and dirty, ugly coats. Sure, he and Leena were friends, but nothing more. And they never would be. If he had to betray some rules to find true love, he would. Gavier slowed down, and thought for a second. The flock of Toxicons pulled ahead of him. He flew up to a manhole and pulled the cover off. The streets were dark, and full of long shadows. Gavier took one last look at Leena as she flew with the swarm of Toxicons for their prey, not noticing him, and he flew up and out of the sewers.

Author's Note:

You might be able to guess what happens with Gavier, but I won't spoil it for anyone. Feel free to throw all your criticism at me, whether it's Tomatoes and Peaches, or Tulips and Roses.