• Published 24th Jan 2013
  • 820 Views, 24 Comments

The Dawn Chronicles - Book 1: The Star at Midnight - littlelionbigheart



When Princess Luna's unicorn student, Midnight Star, is brought to ponyville to study magic and other things, she finds that something isn't right. Will she be able to save Equestria from what lurks in the shadows?

  • ...
8
 24
 820

Chapter 1: Friends of a Friend

The morning light streamed through the window in Midnight's bedroom. The tree branches casted long shadows across the bed. She felt refreshed after sleeping as long as she did. She looked around, noticing hushed voices in the other room.

"Are you sure about this Pinkie Pie?" Whispered a worried pony.

Midnight couldn't see anything in the other room, as it was pitch black, but guessed that the pony had nodded it's head.

"Yuppers! I am as sure as ever!"

Midnight walked closer to the door, and prepared to open it.

"Shh! I think she's coming!"

Midnight guessed it was Spike from his boyish tone. She opened the door and the light flickered on. Midnight covered her face. She covered her face since the light wasn't like the one in her sunlit room. Many ponies yelled surprise. One pink pony, who seemed energetic, came bouncing over to Midnight.

"Hiya! You must be Midnight Star! That's a great name! My name's Pinkie Pie! So, do you like your party, huh, huh, huh?"

Pinkie Pie's face was right in front of Midnight, and she was surprised that she was comfortable getting that close to someone she had never, ever, met before. Pinkie eagerly awaited her answer.

"Yeah, it's uhhh... Great? I mean, it's great!"

Midnight smiled uncomfortably, there were many ponies here she had never met before. There was a snow white unicorn with a curled purple mane, who was Rarity from Luna's description, a cyan pegasus with a rainbow coloured mane, who she guessed was probably Rainbow Dash. a yellow pegasus, who was not dancing or anything, with a shy look on her face, and her pink mane covering her one eye. Midnight guessed this was Fluttershy.

Then there was Pinkie Pie, with the puffiest mane she had ever seen, a orange pony with a yellowish mane and a cowboy hat, who must be Apple Jack. There were other ponies, but these ones looked like they were better friends with Twilight and Spike than any of the other ponies. Midnight walked through the crowd to where Twilight was, with the five other ponies.

"Howdy Midnight! The name's Apple Jack! Hope ya'll didn't mind the surprise party!"

Apple Jack had a grip on Midnight's hoof and was firmly shaking it. She was very strong, in fact, very, VERY strong. Apple Jack let go and Midnight still felt as though she was still shaking her hoof.

The white coated pony with the beautiful mane trotted over to Midnight.

"Hello, Midnight Star, if I am correct?"

Midnight slowly nodded.

"My name is Rarity, and if I do say, your mane is quite lovely. Did a pony from Canterlot do it for you?" Her face beamed, she obviously wanted an answer.

Midnight gulped. "Yeah."

"If I may ask darling, who?" Again Rarity looked expectant.

"I'm not sure. A friend of Luna's I guess." Midnight shrugged.

The Cyan pegasus shoved Rarity out of the way, obviously not caring that she had been having a conversation with Midnight.

"The name's Rainbow Dash, don't wear it out! I am also the most awesome pony in Ponyville, so don't try anything funny with me!" Rainbow tried to keep a straight face as she said it.

"Okay, whatever."

Midnight headed toward the snack table, leaving Rainbow laughing. Beside the snack table was the shy yellow pegasus. The pegasus backed up when Midnight approached.

"Hi, my name's Midnight Star, what's yours?" Midnight waited for an answer.

"My name's Fluttershy..." the pegasus said it so quietly, Midnight could barely hear it.

"Sorry, what?"

Twilight came trotting over, a happy look on her face.

"Her name's Fluttershy, and she is one of my many friends. I know you already met Rainbow Dash, Apple Jack, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity. They are my best friends. I have quite a few other friends, but they aren't as close to me as those girls."

"Anyway, I'm still kind of tired, I think I am going to head back to bed."

Pinkie Pie came bouncing over, with a very happy look on her face, it seemed that this pony was one who would party all day and night.

"No way silly, we can't stop the party now! Look at how much fun all the other ponies are having!"

Midnight looked around the room twice, sat beside the table, groaned, and thumped her head down on the table. It would be a long day.

Author's Note:

This chapter could use some work, sorry, a lot of work, if you have any ideas for how I can edit it, please say so. I accept criticism okay generally. Unless I'm ticked off, which right now, I'm not. By the way, Midnight is no longer an Alicorn, she is now a Unicorn.