• Published 26th Jan 2013
  • 566 Views, 1 Comments

Hidden by Shadows - Authora97



When the Mane 6 find three young mares just outside the limits of Ponyville, a large amount of questions are left unanswered. Also, a new evil arises in Equestria. One that not even Celestia is able to stop.

  • ...
6
 1
 566

A Still Growing Fear

“...Now Authora apologized at least a thousand times during our first few days out. We didn’t even know that all the while we were being followed by his demon birds until it was too late, each time leaving within an inch of our lives.” Flutterwing explained.

For the past ten minutes the two sisters, Authora would remind them of something every few sentences but other than that she was silent, were explaining how they knew the black alicorn or Black Jay as Acorn so cleverly nicknamed him in this dimension.

They left out some important details though. Like how they were humans but were turned into ponies. They changed their ending a little as well. Instead of running from a guard it was Black Jay but the outburst stayed.

Each of the seven listeners had different reactions. Twilight Sparkle was staring at them with rapt attention and using her magic to write down as much as she could to the Princess. Celestia would need to know about the pony this ‘Black Jay’ was after.

Applejack just stared wide-eyed. She was shocked that their story was true, being the Element of Honesty made her very able to tell a lie from a truth and these mares were laying their soles bare to them all.

Fluttershy and Rarity were a little teary eyed at the spectacle. Poor Authora, if it were them they wouldn’t have been able to run very far without their friends. And this alicorn was so twisted he murdered her father. No wonder she kept apologizing afterwards.

Rainbow Dash was angry at first, but as the story went on she felt a tinge of sympathy towards them. She personally would have kicked Black Jay in the face if she was in Authora’s hooves. When Dash told them all this Authora replied, using her thought-giver spell, that she always gave people the benefit of the doubt and that he was disguised as a deep blue unicorn when they met. Authora didn’t know he was an alicorn until it was too late.

Pinkie Pie was doing something shocking. Paying attention to the whole thing. The story was so sad. She still had her dad, poor little Acorn would never see him again. They didn’t even know what their mother was or if she was ok. Flutterwing assumed the Black Jay had taken her after they teleported near the Everfree as leverage for Authora.

”That’s our story. You all know what happened after we got here.” Authora finished as the white glow around her horn disappeared.

Twilight still had a couple of questions.

“You never explained how you came up with that spell and how about you explain why your horn glows white.” She asked.

Authora gave Twilight a small smile, she didn’t like when their were blanks. Neither did she. She used a piece of paper to answer this one, she was starting to feel tired.

“I don’t know why my horn glows like this. It just always has. And as for the ‘Thought-Giver’ spell, I read it in a book believe it or not. I didn’t get my cutiemark just by acting you know.” The paper read.

Twilight, having finished explaining Authora’s story, rolled up the letter and moved it towards Spike.

“Can I twy that?” Dandelion asked Twilight.

“Try what?” Twilight asked.

“Sending the lettew, can I twy it?” The golden baby dragon asked. Twilight gave a questioning glance at Authora who simply shrugged her shoulders.

“Sure, why not. Spike,” Spike nodded his head and handed the letter to Dandelion.

She breathed out yellow flames that quickly sent the letter on it’s way.

“I did it! That was awesothme!” Dandelion cheered with a lisp.

Authora trotted over to Flutterwing and used her thought giver spell again.

“I’m so sorry Skylar. I really thought it would be at least another week before we had to tell them. I had no idea he would follow us.” Authora explained with a tear falling down her cheek.

“It’s not your fault Thora. You just need a little time to get this overwith. You still feel guilty about all of this, do any of you mares know where we can find a spa?” Flutterwing asked the group as they began to move about her library again.

“A spa?” Rarity said. “Why yes, there is a spa run by Aloe and Lotus not too far from here. Fluttershy and I were going tomorrow for our weekly visit but clearly this is an emergency."

"Alright, Authora you go with those two. Acorn, you need to go out with your friends. Take Dandy with you." Flutterwing commanded.

“But why do I-?” Acorn argued.

“Thora is going to the spa Pipsqueak, somepony has to watch her and it ain’t gonna be me.” Flutterwing flat out yelled.

Then, and none of them know how but, Rarity, Flutterwing and Authora left for the spa while Acorn and Dandelion left to find the CMC’s.

This left Spike, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Twilight and Flutterwing at the library.

“If that’s everything you need Flutterwing then I-” Twilight started. Flutterwing quickly interrupted her.

“Pinkie Pie how about you go get Spike a cupcake?” This got a happy reply from Pinkie.

“SURE! Come on Spike-y Wike-y. I think I can get you a emerald sprinkles today!” Pinkie cheered.

“Uh, Pinkie I WOAH!” Spike yelled as Pinkie dragged him away from the library.

Rainbow Dash flew towards Flutterwing, she had been hovering in the air since her sister’s left. “Why’d you tell Pinkie and Spike to leave?”

“Because what I have to say stays between the three of us. You have to Pinkie Promise not to tell ANYPONY.” A Pinkie Promise, this brought some concern to Twilight and Rainbow Dash.

“Flutter, what do you need to tell us.” Twilight asked.

“Make the promise first."

“Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.” Rainbow Dash and Twilight said with the movements, remembering to close their eyes or risk pulling a Twilight.

“Will you tell us what this big bad secret is now?” Rainbow asked her.

Flutter looked around the library, then checked the door to make sure nopony was around. Giving a sigh that almost told the two mares how much she hated having to do this but knew she had no other choice.

“It’s about Black Jay, and why supposedly why Authora’s horn glows white.” This got Twilight’s attention, Rainbow only did because she really wanted to crack Black Jay’s skull. “Back at our old home, he was a part of a cult. One that practiced dark magic.” Twilight gasped. “Our mom, who is a unicorn, always told Authora and Pipsqueak to use Light Magic saying and I quote ’cause if I ever hear you touching Dark Magic I will disown you before you can even blink’. It’s a part of why Thora is taking it so hard. She was best friends with a dark magic practitioner, and he was the leader of the cult itself! As soon as Thora learned magic she kept it clean as a cloud, so clean that her magical aura changed colors from blue to white.

“Thora is my big sister. She’s our peacemaker. You’ve seen me and Pipsqueak, if she wasn’t there we certainly would’ve killed each other by now.” Dash nodded, Acorn had quite a temper. “I can’t let anything happen to her. She has too big a heart to go with that thing. If it came down to it and he offered her our protection over her, Authora would give herself up without another thought.”

“So why are you telling us this?” Rainbow asked.

“Because if it comes down to that, and let’s pray it doesn’t, then I need you two to hold Thora back and take whoever Jay has in his hooves.

Author's Note:

Here is the next chapter. Sorry it took so long. But good news, somepony let me borrow their old computer! I'm Pinkie Pie happy right now!!
Comment, like and fav!
PS- if you pressed the dislike button then you clearly made a mistake.