• Published 23rd Jan 2013
  • 879 Views, 38 Comments

It Starts in Charlotte - Cloud Quake



What would happen if a wave of magical energy direct from Equestria itself were to impact our planet?

  • ...
6
 38
 879

Chapter One

Good morning Charlotte! It's Wednesday, March seventeenth two thousand twelve and we've just hit the seven a.m. hour; if you look outside your window you'll probably see the massive rainbow that's stretching over the entire Mecklenburg County area- I slam my fist down on the radio as it blares the morning news at me. whose idea is it to talk about a fucking rainbow on the news anyways... I walk slowly out of the bedroom of my apartment and throw some bread in the toaster before going off to get myself ready for work; when I walk back into the kitchen to retrieve my breakfast a few minutes later I find it smoldering on the counter next to the toaster. bloody thing, I need to get it replaced soon, guess it's McDonalds for me again. I groan at the thought of eating at that place again, they served some terrible food but it was pretty much the only thing my wallet could afford.

As I walk out the door the rainbow that was being talked about on the news shines brightly in my face. damn that thing is vivid, no wonder they were talking about it on the news.

"Some sight isn't it?" I turn to my left to see my neighbor in the next apartment over commenting on the streak of colors in the sky.

"Sure is, don't think I've ever seen anything like it in my life." I reply.

"I was checking my Facebook and these rainbows seem to be popping up pretty much all over the globe."

"Is that even possible?"

"It shouldn't be, but until some official comes out and explains it I don't think we'll know."

"And if an official doesn't come out and explain it? What then?"

"Well, I was browsing a conspiracy forum and one of the more popular posts was trying to explain that this whole thing is related to a wave of magical energy that caused rainbows on Jupiter four years ago. The guy's a total nut job if you ask me."

"That's probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard; it was good talking to you but I'm provably running a little late for work at this point."

"Oh yeah, sure. See ya around!"

I walk down to the parking lot and unlock the door to my car, as I open the door I notice a scratch running along it. Fucking people and their shitty parking, they don't even have the courtesy to leave a note. I get in my car and start the engine, for the first time in a while it starts without issue maybe this day isn't going to be so bad after all. I try my best to put a smile on my face as I pull out of the parking lot of the apartment complex and head towards the McDonalds down the street for my breakfast.

Yep, I was wrong about today being good. I almost gag on a bite of the egg mcmuffin I bought; sometimes I think it would be better to starve. I toss the remainder of the breakfast sandwich out the driver’s side window as I pull my car onto interstate seventy-seven.

I rapidly approach uptown Charlotte; the tops of the skyscrapers begin to appear from behind the tree tops. More of the skyscrapers show themselves as I drive even closer; the Bank of America building sits in the middle of the city, holding its title of tallest in the city at eight hundred and seventy-one feet high. The rainbow that had been in the sky since before I woke up was still shining as brightly as ever, wait, was it getting brighter? Just then I saw the sky turn from a traditional Carolina blue to a blinding white, followed by everything around me turning pitch black.