• Published 19th Jan 2013
  • 737 Views, 21 Comments

Asphalt and Trouble - Coconutswallow



Applejack has to prevent the last motorcycle manufacturer in the country from being ruined by its ruthless vice president and stop a plot to ruin the reputation of the biker gangs in the Sinks.

  • ...
0
 21
 737

Prologue: Bum Deal

Semi-solid petroleum-- known by most as asphalt. Twilight was very familiar with it, especially its smell. Used to, all the smell did was make her queasy, but very close contact with something has a way of making one change the way they look at it. It had scarred her and now it’s smell brought entirely different feelings and very distinctive memories...

“Lulamoon, you’re dumber than dirt!”

“Mr. Sparkle, seriously! I’m trying to save this company!”

Twilight couldn’t say she was too surprised at the argument that was ensuing. She didn’t expect her father’s vice president to ever relent pushing her plan for changes, though her ever increasing insistence was odd. It was a testament to Trixie's business know-how and killer instincts that Twilight’s father kept her around. He always consulted her before making a major decision involving the company, but this time he was completely close-minded. Even Twilight, who rarely got involved in business affairs, had tried to persuade him and failed. If she couldn’t do it then it was never going to happen.

Shifting in her seat, she tried to re-concentrate on reading her book. The Science of Advanced Propulsion Technology was not something easily enjoyed when one was sharing a backseat with two loud, arguing business executives, even if she was in a spacious hover-limo.

“There will be no company left if you go through with that plan, Moon, at least none of the company that I founded!”

Trixie huffed. “Mr. Sparkle, where’s the respect I deserve in these matters? You can’t tell me that this meeting is going to run smoothly with the company’s current course. The shareholders are all concerned. There have already been numerous threats from some of our top holders that they’re going to pull out unless we change our business strategy by the end of the year.”

“Moon, you’ve had my respect before because you weren’t pitching crazy at me! How many times do I have to tell you, Sparkle Motors makes motorcycles. Always has and always will. I’ve already started expanding into a small line of luxury hovercars. That’s as far as I plan on going.”

“Don’t be ridiculous. We both know those dabblings are nothing but—”

“Look, I know where this going, Moon. You go down a road enough times and you start to recognize it from a distance. Well let me stop you before you get ahead of yourself. This company is not catering to a dying market and this company is not going to end up in the red if we don’t concentrate on the exploding market of hovercars.”

There was a thick silence. Twilight looked up from her book. She wasn’t about to miss a stare-off. The eyes of Trixie Lulamoon and Crescent Sparkle took up arms, with the two taking their usual stances. The vice president with the narrowed eyes and the owner with the furrowed brow. After several long seconds, Trixie looked away. Twilight smirked and returned to reading.

“I promise you,” said Crescent, “the bike market will never die. The gangs aren’t going anywhere. They’re long-lasting, loyal customers. Something we can count on until this world boils over.”

There was another pause before Trixie broke the silence. “It would be a shame to squander the new technology your daughter has developed.”

“I’m not squandering it. I’m using it in the luxury line.”

“Haven’t we been over this, Mr. Sparkle?”

Twilight looked at her father and chewed on her lower lip. She couldn’t help trying one last time. “She has a point, Dad. What I’ve designed increases a hover engine’s efficiency by upwards of seventy-three percent in comparison with the top companies in the market. If we change our production to concentrate on say…” She gestured searchingly.

“Minivans,” said Trixie.

“Minivans,” continued Twilight, “then we’d dominate the market. And…” She hesitated, knowing the response she was going to get if she continued. “I’d be able to devote more of my time to coming up with hover innovations.”

Crescent rolled his eyes. “I don’t understand what your latest obsession with hover tech is. Whatever happened to the wide-eyed fascination of the motorcycle engine?”

“It made way for progress,” said Trixie. “An example this company should follow!”

“Oh, just pipe it!” Crescent glanced at both of the mares flanking him. “Both of you! I’ve--”

With a lurch, the car dipped and the sound of an engine roared overhead. Twilight watched as a motorcycle drove down the hood of the car and the limo jumped back to its regular height off the ground. In a blink, the surrounding road was filled with bikers. A few eyed the car with pursed lips and hard eyes before zooming past it.

Trixie whispered something sharply. It was probably a curse.

“Now that’s a gang!” Crescent smiled widely as he watched the bikes ride off into the distance. There was a shine in his eyes and with a start, he sat up. “That’s exactly what we need! We need a representative of the gangs, some bikers to really show the shareholders what I’m talking about. They’ll show them what a customer base we have in them.” He pressed the button for the driver intercom in front of him. “Follow those bikers!”

“Bringing those sort of ponies to a respectable business meeting?” The vice president gaped. “We’d be fortunate to convince security not to shoot them on sight! Not to mention their rebellious nature. How could we count on them to represent themselves honestly? How are we even going to convince them to come with us?”

Crescent beamed. “Leave all that to me, Lulamoon. As I’m sure you know, I speak their language, and if they’re a truly respectable bunch, then we can count on them.”

The limo wasn’t fast enough to keep the bikers in sight but there were few turn-offs on Highway 9 and they shortly spotted a small bar right by the road with a horde of motorcycles parked in front of it.

As the limo pulled in, Crescent glanced at his other two other passengers “You two best stay here. Leave this to a kindred spirit.” He winked, hopped out of the car, and walked into the bar.

Trixie sighed. “Your father is going to get himself killed.”

Twilight watched the bar door and shook her head. “He’s reckless sometimes, sure, but he’s safe in there. The biker never really left him.”

“Yes, well, when he retires perhaps he can spend his last years enjoying the wind on his mane again, but until then, he’s got a legitimate business to run, one which he seems intent to run into the ground.” Trixie rubbed her forehead.

“Miss Lulamoon, he’s a stubborn stallion.” Twilight moved to take the seat next to the VP. “You’re not going to change his mind. I could have told you that as soon as I tried to talk to him and got stonewalled. In fact, I think I did. What was that, months ago now?”

“Yes, well, I had to at least try. However...” The business mare slowly looked up at Twilight. “There is still a chance to stop this. It will require subterfuge, but we can force his hooves.”

Twilight shook her head and looked away. “No. No, I can’t. I agree with you, Miss Lulamoon. Motorcycles are a thing of the past or, at least they should be, and Dad’s taking a big risk by not following the market, but I can’t betray him. Mom intended to stick with him until the end and so do I.”

“That’s unfortunate.”

Twilight's spine tingled at the tone used. It sounded like a threat. She whipped her head back. “What? Why?”

Trixie shrugged. “No reason. It’s simply unfortunate. Ah, there they are.”

“Who?” Twilight followed Trixie’s eyes as she looked out the car’s back window. Another troop of bikers were pulling into the parking lot. “Who are they?”

Trixie pulled out a pocketwatch. “And on time? That's better than last time at least. Seriously, you'd think at least one of them would have a watch.”

"What's going on here?" asked Twilight, frowning deeply.

“You can’t tell?” Trixie gestured back towards the window.

Twilight looked at the bikers again. They were dogs, rather large, ugly looking dogs. Before she had time to observe anymore she felt a sharp prick on her neck. “Ow!” Recoiling back, she saw Trixie holding an empty syringe with her magic. “What... did you... do?” She clutched at the back of her neck as thoughts started to blur and her vision dimmed.

“You ask too many questions." Trixie put the syringe back in her suit pocket. "But if you must know, I just made the boldest move of my entire career.” She studied Twilight’s wide eyes and gaping mouth. “Oh, I suppose you mean with the syringe. It’s nothing serious. You’ll just be unconscious in the next few seconds and then I’m plunking you right in the paws of my new business associates. Just a little more time... and... there we go."

Twilight's head fell back against her seat and everything faded.