• Published 17th Jan 2013
  • 475 Views, 26 Comments

Sands of Time - SandShift



A dystopian alternate universe set in the sands of Saddle Arabia. One pony's story of what it takes to be a hero.

  • ...
1
 26
 475

Chapter II

Far as I can tell, I’ve lived my whole life in Saddle Arabia. Every memory I have includes the desert. Most of my memories include the Bazaar. To me, this place was home. Inhospitable, crooked, and dangerous. But it was home.

When I was a colt, I heard many stories— myths, really— of how Celestia would actually visit Saddle Arabia. She was supposed to be as radiant as the sun, and would fight the injustices of the desert. The thought now almost makes me laugh. No one has seen her in many years. Why?

“Because she abandoned us to the damned boars, that’s why!”

That was the most common answer. Though, a more accurate answer would be that she’s too busy defending Equestria from all the other races. Changelings. Boars. Elk. Griffin. Dragons. Even small factions of ponies, like the Roamin’ Empire. Every race got greedy with a warm laser in their hand and new cybernetic enhancements. Every race thought they were immortal.

Least we’re not ruled by boars.

But, growing up in Saddle Arabia wasn’t all bad once you learn a few things: One, you keep to yourself. Two, do what it takes to survive. Three, you don’t buck with guards or royalty. Four, NEVER trust others. They’re just as likely to sell you to slavery as they are to make connections.

The rest is whatever you want it to be. IF you have money. Those who are natives to the Bazaar usually don’t have money. Instead, we’re mostly slaves.

And that’s what I am. What I was, anyways, before I went into The Arena. But I’ve never stopped feeling like a slave. It’s as if I stop being a slave to one person, and transfer to a different owner. You're always owned by something. Enslaved by people, thoughts, ideals, desires. And that's what drives you. To fulfill some insatiable appetite for freedom, in the hopes you can achieve it...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sand."

I snapped out of my reverie. Someone was talking to me. I looked up from where I was staring, which was in this case a small diamond pattern on a rug. I noticed the beige mare for the first time, it seems. She was cute, and obviously young. Her hazel eyes watched me from under her maroon bangs. I also observed her cutie mark was that of an Ace of Hearts. She looked very concerned, and her stance showed she was leaning towards me, as if she was seconds away from checking my pulse.

“Yes?” I replied automatically.

She sighed, relieved as her body settled noticeably.

“You alright? You had me really worried for a moment there.”

I made sure to make eye contact with her and noted she was still intensely watching me.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Just tired. Thanks.”

She seemed very wary of my answer, but she must’ve accepted it after a while judging by her change in topic. “Well, Storm said that I should check up on you. Can I get you anything?”

Ah. Another one of Storm Chaser’s “helpers.” Storms aren’t the only thing that he chases. I let a small smile show on my face at this thought. Storm Chaser was big into female “escorts,” as he’d call it. But despite this one vice, Storm was one of the most dependable ponies a stallion could ask for.

This reminded me of why I came here in the first place. I ought to thank him for getting me out of the Arena quietly. But also, I continued, I need to get out of the Forum… I decided to take stock of the room I was in.

I started looking around slowly, taking in all the minor details as I let the silence grow. Then I realized that the mare was still watching me closely. I decided to finally reply to her. “Nothing you could get.”

She seemed put out by this, and instead started to get close to me. She slowly moved her way around a small rickety wooden table that was placed in front of where I was sitting. “Nothing? You’ve been sitting so stiff and still for a while, still in your armor and everything. Surely there’s SOMETHING I can get you.” As she said this, she sat down next to me on the small straw loveseat, slowly trailing the edge of my armor with her hoof. I stiffened more as she did this, if it was even possible. My reflexes kicked in and I quickly grabbed her hoof with mine and held it.

“Don’t. I’m fine. If you want something to do, tell Storm I need to speak with him.” I then released her hoof, in which case she pouted visibly, but got up and slowly made her way into another room without another word.

Least she’s obedient, I thought. All too soon, I was thinking about her touching my armor, and remembered another mare that did that…

No, I thought firmly. This isn’t the time for thinking about her.

Thankfully, I didn’t have to continue my thoughts as a new pony entered the room. I recognized the strong grey stallion immediately as Storm Chaser. His black mane was cut short in a ragged buzz cut, which gave him a harsher look, but his calm smile welcomed me.

“Well, lookit what we have here. A champion. And one that’s not dead, no less. What can I do for ya, Sand?” He walked over and hugged me warmly before settling down on the seat beside me.

“Good to see you, Storm. I wanted to thank you for getting me out of the Arena. Probably would’ve been mauled by fans.” I said this in a joking way, but I knew that it was a distinct possibility. They’ll love you to death, I thought. Or they’re upset that you won. Either way, it’s best not to get too close.

“Ah. Well it’s no problem, Sandy. Least I could do for a fellow warrior.” Storm continued to smile easily, giving no hint of his inner thoughts. “But, enough of the quiet stuff. We should celebrate the new free stallion! SandShift the champion!” He laughed heartily, clapping me solidly on the back. Then he stood up and started to walk into another room, and asked over his shoulder as he disappeared, “You wanna drink, or maybe some company or two?”

I got up slowly to follow him when I felt a small pain in my left back leg. Grimacing, I reminded myself that I got out pretty lucky with the injuries that I had. However, I knew that I’d probably feel all my wounds for the rest of my life. After a brief pause, I continued to the room where Storm went into, slowly moving the small silk curtain in the doorway and looked into a smoke filled room. Immediately, I smelled burning incense and the sweet odor of tobacco burning. A small hookah den, I noted. This stallion has it all.

Inside the dimly lit den was, among other things, lots of pillows, cushions, and rugs of all shapes and sizes. These were mostly all used by the large amount of ponies that were all chatting away, smoking from the hookahs as they did. I decided not to try and figure out any recognizable faces and instead decided to make it to the other side where a small darkened doorway was where I guessed Storm was located.

Carefully, I made my way through, making sure not to step on any outstretched hooves or bodies. One particular pony was laughing so hard he almost fell against me as I walked by. My first instinct was to counter his movement with my forehoof, but stopped myself quickly. I frowned slightly and pushed him back to his spot, to where his group of friends all stared at me. I was slightly surprised to see one mare was lying on top of another pony, stroking his muzzle. It wasn’t just any mare, but the one that I had sent to find Storm. We quickly made eye contact before I decided to make my through the den.

As I finally reached the doorway, I looked back at her once again and noticed she was whispering to the stallion. He was watching me carefully, and nodded slowly as she stopped talking to look at me. I noticed she seemed a little… Smug? Victorious? Who knows. I quickly turned back to them and entered the doorway.

The room I entered into was pretty barren of any furnishings beside a table, chairs, and a chest. Storm sat slumped with a dark bottle rested on the table with his hoof next to it. His other hoof was wrapped around a cute young mare’s lower back as she leaned seductively against him. Seeing me, he whispered to her before patting her on her flank. She quickly left his side and walked past me. I watched her leave before coming to sit on one of the chairs across from him.

“I had almost thought you’d gotten lost,” Storm joked. He still smiled calmly before taking a quick drink from the bottle in front of him.

“Had to enjoy the sights,” I countered quietly. Realizing that I was more thirsty than I thought, I started to look around for a drink. “About that drink…”

“Oh yeah, where are my manners? Shoulda got you one, too.” He got up and walked over to the chest. Upon opening it, he started rummaging inside. Stopping, he looked back at me. “What would ya like, champ?”

I stood up, still noticing the pain. I ignored it and walked over, looking into the chest. Rows of different colored bottles filled the chest. I selected a small brown bottle and returned to my seat. Storm closed the chest and joined me at the table.

“So,” he started, “How’d ya like to talk about that final battle, eh? Damn good show, if I say so, myself.”

“I had something else in mind.”

“Sure,” he agreed, watching me. “’fore you begin, if this is about Sky---

“No,” I stated firmly. “This isn’t about her.”

“Alright, no big.” He smiled warmly.

“I want out of The Forum.”

His careless smile faltered for a moment before settling again on his face. “Nice joke there, Sand. Anyways, what’s the real reason?” I continued to stare at him until he finally realized that I was serious.

“You can’t be serious, Sand.”

“You know I am.”

Storm stopped smiling, got up and walked over to the chest, and ran a hoof through his short hair. “Luna's hoof, Sand. That’s a gem, there. Ya think bein’ a champ qualifies ya for getting’ out of this place more than any of us? ‘sides, why leave? There’s nothin’ but sand out there.”

I knew he wouldn’t enjoy this topic.

We ALL dream of leaving The Forum and starting a life outside of the slums. Outside of slavery and corruption. Outside of the Arena. But once you’re inside the Forum, you never leave. It’s a death sentence. Sure, you can strike it rich, usually by doing the dirty work. But it’s not the same as being free on the outside world. I only had one reason to leave the Forum.

Sky.

And as he looked back at me, he realized that was why I wanted to talk about this. He pointed his hoof at me, “I knew it. I knew this was about Sky! Why can’t you just get the fact she left and ain’t never comin’ back?” He stopped to breathe, then continued in a more calm tone. “You have it good, here. You’re the first champ in more years than we can count. Any mare here wants ya, and you can have whatever ya want, now. Why give up all this?”

I watched him for a little bit before replying. “I need to settle things…I need to know she’s alive.”

Storm sighed and looked down at the ground for a second before looking up. I watched him and noticed he seemed like he was staring past me, lost in thought. “You’re not gonna give her up, huh? Even after she left you?”

I shook my head. “No one leaves the Forum, but she manages to? How did she do it? She just disappears and no one wonders why.” I continue to watch him and see him still looking past me, slightly nodding his head.

Curious, I quickly start to turn my head but my world descended into darkness as a bag was thrust onto my head. Immediately, I tried to spring to my seat but was forced against the table. I decided to use this to buck my back legs against my attacker, instantly feeling my hooves make contact. I slipped around the table and started to make my way to a wall, quickly trying to pull the bag off my head. My legs made contact with the chest, so I spun around and face the opposite direction, trying to anticipate my attacker.

Where’s Storm?! I demanded inwardly. I didn’t hear any other fighting, so I assumed he was already out cold.

Before I could fully take off the bag, I felt someone punch me in the face. I fell onto the chest, but kicked again. This time however, they grabbed my hoof and pulled me off the chest with a loud thump. The air in my lungs escaped quickly with the impact, and I was left slightly dazed. I didn’t have much time before someone kicked me in the ribs, and I felt screaming pain there. I stopped trying to get the bag off and decided to sweep my attacker’s legs with mine. I instantly felt them fall and took no time in jumping onto them. I started to struggle with them, but was quickly pulled off of them.

What the---?!

I struggled against this new hidden enemy and manage to break free before I was grabbed by the first pursuer, I assumed. Before I could struggle out of their grip, my head was grabbed by another set of hooves which quickly pulled my head to their knee. The pain from the impact was terrible and caused me to stop for a moment. That moment was all they needed, for the held my forehooves back and started to beat me strongly. I struggled as much as I could, but I was fading away quickly.

After the second attacker kicked me in the face, I went limp. I slowly started to lose consciousness, but heard a distant voice calling from the darkness, “You should’ve stayed a hero.” With that, someone pulled my head up, and whispered to me. I barely heard them, but I made out enough of it to recognize his voice, “---- and maybe she never got to leave.” He ended it with a chuckle before letting go of my face.

Hearing Storm talk about her, I felt a surge of energy come from the depths of my being.

TRAITOR! HOW DARE YOU TOUCH HER!

I broke free of my captor despite the searing pain in my body, and I started swingly strongly, making contact. As I continued to fight back, a mighty roar erupted from my throat, and gave me more momentum into finding vengeance.
I grabbed a pony’s outstretch arm, pulled him to me, and found his face, to where I found his neck. Quickly, I pulled his muzzle around until I heard a satisfying crunch from his neck. It proved small satisfaction, but gave time for three bodies to hit me with full force. They each began beating me with what felt like metal bars.

The pain was almost instantly too much to take, and it started to dull as I felt the dark void of unconsciousness start to consume me.

Sky, I cried her name in my brain, painfully trying to reach out to her. But only silence filled my mind…

Author's Note:

Hey! Thanks for reading, I hope this meets expectations. Please comment, suggest new stuff, ideas, criticisms... Random stuff! Hope to see y'all in the next chapter!

~Sand