• Published 17th Jan 2013
  • 2,608 Views, 33 Comments

The Three Knight Errant - Ebony Gryphon



Once, man walked the land of equistria. Many winters have passed, and now they wish to return to close old disputes and become allies. But old prejudices will make this easier said then done

  • ...
28
 33
 2,608

Chapter 13 Tia's lament

Chapter 13 Tia's lament

With a approving nod at job well done, Celestia looked down fondly at the early morning bustling of her kingdom began there day under the warm glow of her sun. But... frowning slightly, she sighed. Really now, that sister of hers... though her behavior had been exemplary, the movement of their respective heavenly bodies was a heavy responsibility. At the very least if she wanted the night off, she could told her. With a shake of her head, she turned from her balcony to her chambers. It was time for chat.

Outwardly her usual gentle but firm visage, her mind slowly went over each word she would use. Since her fathers death, the mere passing thought still causing a dull ache in her chest, Celestia was more less the parental figure of the two. Though most of both their memories were sort of hazy the first few months after that day were a blur, the elder sister was the one who really kept both of them moving. And even many centuries when they returned from their time abroad to assume command over the three tribes, Luna was a bit more awkward, hiding it under her tough exterior. Another slight frown crossed the regal lips as the memories of what happened next. After Discord, Luna more or less shut everyone else out. And Celestia, basking in the glow of the cheers of the masses, did nothing her sisters fall.

Pausing in her stride, her throat grew tight for a moment. She should have known. Her sister was the spitting image her father, and was the only constant in the alabaster alicorns life until that night. Shaking her head, she snorted angrily. You lying stupid little cunt, she berated herself. You didn't want to know. You just sat back as your sister tore herself apart. And then after a mere day of the worthless bleating of cowards, you went to her and not asked, but commanded, in full Canterlot voice, that she stand down, as though she were merely another stubborn peon. But the worst part, the thing that she'd never forgive herself for, was that slap.

Celestia looked down at the palace floor, biting her lip. When her own sister own sister, trembling and lonely came close, trying to offer some feeble excuse, some nonsense about not being loved, Celestia struck her. Not a slight slap to bring her to her senses, a hard blow that sense her across the room. Incensed and justified, she began to force her sisters moon away, and that is what what happened next is what truly brought the birth of that... thing. In her pride and stubbornness, she shattered an already fragile soul. Her sister didn't cry, or stamp her hooves, or even try to get up. She just looked at her, the side of her muzzle already swelling from the hoof blow. And Celestia merely looked back, looked back at all she truly had, the last thing in the whole world that was hers, the last image of who her own father looked like, and with a snort of dismissal, she had walked away, slamming the door of her sister room at her departure.

Ponies always said she was brave, that she had to do it for the greater good. But what no one knew, was that wasn't the reason she banished her own sister. The reason was.... wrath. She had dared to force her moon into the sky again, assuming her new form as she did, and that said her night would be eternal. And taking the elements, Celestia without an instant of remorse or hesitation, banished the one she loved. And it would only be moments later she realized what she had done. Her little ponies thought that it was because of a grand battle which gravely wounded that their beloved princess went into seclusion. No. It was depression. Every day, in the deep dark tartarus she had made for herself, Celestia wanted to die, and even when those horrid months passed, and she returned to rule again, her heart was never whole until a thousand years passed, and her sister was returned to her.

But... even now, her sister assuming her duties, and even her art, once more, Celestia was still hated herself..

Shaking her head, she took a moment to wipe the tears from her eyes with her tri colored mane. Despite this, her sister still had duties, and she needed to perform them. Steeling her heart, she continued her trek, and with a nod and smile at the two guards outside her sisters door, she opened it.

Walking in, she began "Luna..." but stopped short when she saw her countries other diarch. Laying on the bed, fully clothed, Aduros breathed gently in his slumber, but that wasn't what shocked Celestia. What shocked her was her sister, snoring softly, had her head resting on the humans chest, and in her repast, she smiled and cuddled the human, mrrring as she relaxed back into her dreams. But what shocking, what struck Celestia more then anything, was her sisters smile. For the first time since her return, in her slumber, for the first time she looked.... peaceful, happy, like all those years on the moon never happened. And after a moment of watching, Celestia walked away, closing the door gently.

.....

Marcum walked down the halls to the chambers of the other half of the diarchy, worried somewhat. Though he and Celestia were close, neither he nor she were still comfortable enough to share quarters, and since Marcum was neither bold or stupid enough to go there otherwise, he had never been in the sun maiden private chambers.But on his day off, he received a letter, and as quick as he could, he walked down the hall, pausing to knock on the wooden door. As he did, before he could do so, a voice called out "Come in Marcum." Lowering his hand, he shrugged, and walked in.

One of the reasons Marcum was so fond of Celestia was her simplicity. Most monarchs and nobles he knew were disgustingly extravagant, but the princess aside from her bed, the dresser, large mirror, and bookshelves were all pretty... well, simple. Though the books, the human noted with amusement, were probably worth more then most medium sized homes. Seeing the form of Celestia outside the balcony, looking over her kingdom, he let out a low whistle, "So Tia, this is the sort of decadence and luxury I can expect when I run my own country huh?"

Drawn from her thoughts, she looked behind her, a smirk on her lip "Oh? You want to sit on your own throne one day Marcum?"

Grinning, he walked up to stand beside the equine, and idly stroked her mane, and said "Sure, when I'm old and can't fight worth a shit anymore."

Giggling, she gave him a playful tap in the side with her wing. "Oh, fuck you."

He chuckled, and for a minute they just stood there, admiring the view. Still stroking a hand down her neck, he said, "Tia, I'd imagine this isn't a social call."

Pulling away from him, she walked back into her chambers, tone hardening somewhat. "No, its not." As he followed her, she sat down in front of her mirror, and began to run a brush through her mane, getting ready for a walk about town.

"Marcum, I believe Luna is getting.... attached, to your brother." She paused her brushing, and looked back at the shrugging human, and added, 'I mean like you and me."

Nodding, he smirked crossing his arms. "Well, I guess the men of my family have a habit of attracting some seriously dangerous females." As she resumed her brushing, he noted the serious look in her eyes. "Tia... I know for a fact that Aduros loves her, and since seems to feel the same, whats the problem."

Looking back to her mirror, she brushed her mane, and said "Marcum, tell your brother to go back home."

Stunned, he uncrossed his arms. "Tia?"

Looking down, she snapped, "I know. Look, I can't risk it. What if he hurts her, or cheats? When he dies? She'll turn right back to Nightmare moon, and I refuse to risk it." Nodding to herself in the mirror resolutely, she turned to say "That's a ord...' but as she did so, she jumped slightly. While she talking, Marcum had walked from his spot in the middle of the room, and as she was commanding him, he pressed a finger to her lips, "Tia, stop."

Blinking her eyes, she looked at him, a spark of anger at his command, then sighed, pulling her away to look at her reflection again.

"Marcum, its for the best."

He snapped, "Don't give me that shit."

Jumping slightly at the word, she snapped her head back, gasping "Marcum!"

Glaring at her, he said "Tia, whats this really about?"

Frowning, she snapped back "Nothing. I just want to protect everyone."

He scowled. "Fuck that. Tia, don't try to pull that with me."

Incensed, the alicorn jumped to all fours, and stamped her hoof in anger, "How dare you! You forgot yourself sir! You are a guest in my home, you eat at my table, and I show you my family, and this is how you act!"

He snarled back, raising his arms, "Because we're friends..." he lowered his arms down, and looked down, 'and... I thought more than that....' Anger vanishing, Celestia leaned forward, nuzzling his cheek. "We are..." He looked up, his eyes hard.

"No, we're not." Snapping her head back, Celestia fell back on her haunches, and now let out a whimper. "Marcum..." Crossing his arms, he shook his head.

"Tia, we both know how the other feels. But we're not going anywhere, there is no us, if you won't be honest with me."

For a moment, they both glared at each other, both jaws set as the wills clashed in silent battle. Scowling, Celestia snorted, looking down, a scowl across her muzzle. "You know, sometimes i hate you."

Grinning, he replied, "Probably cause I'm just as stubborn as you are." At this she made a very un ladylike grunt, scowl seemingly set in stone. Sighing, he took her the bottom part her muzzle, and gently lifted her head up, and holding her firmly but gently, said softly, "Tia, talk to me."

As she gazed back at the human, her expression softened.

"Damn it..." she pulled away, then pushing past him went to stand on the balcony, "It's not fair."

"What?"

Not looking back, she snapped, 'That without trying he's made her happy!' Scowling, she sniffed. "I... I was horrible to her... I know... And I've tried so hard to make her smile again, but she just retreated into herself once more.. I did everything I should have, so why...." she sobbed 'Why does she love him?'

"Your jealous." While she ranted he had moved to her side, and was petting her again.

She looked down, her cheeks turning red.

Grinning, he patted her on the back. "Tia, your just adorable!" Scowling, she jerked her head back to him, and from her seated position, the alicorn was only a few inches shorter then the human, not to mention had a legendary temper, And none of this intimidated him in the least.

Still chuckling at the glaring equine, he continued, "Your like any parent. Your just nervous that she'll be unhappy, but Tia..." His smirk softened, 'I promise, it will work out.'

For a moment, they only looked at each other, until the alicorn said gruffly, "Marcum."

"Yes Tia?"

Not looking away, the alicorn leaned forward, and kissed him. Eyes widening, he felt her tongue slip into his mouth a moment to twine with his, then she just as quickly pulled away, looking back over Canterlot.

"Thank you."

Numbly nodding, he replied shakily, "Anytime..."

Grinning, she gave him a sideways look "I think you need to cool off."

A flash of light, and the human was gone. Giggling, she decided to chuck him into the pond in her palace gardens.