• Published 12th Jan 2013
  • 753 Views, 11 Comments

A Beautiful Twilight - AldenExMachina



twi·light - Noun: The soft glowing light from the sky when the sun is below the horizon, caused by the reflection of the sun's rays from the atmosphere.

  • ...
4
 11
 753

Chapter 1: Her

Chapter 1: Her

The definition of twilight is the soft glowing light from the sky when the sun is below the horizon, caused by the reflection of the suns rays from the atmosphere. That's probably the way she would have described it, but that's not the way I would describe her. She's so much more than that. When I see her my heart skips a beat. My chest feels heavy, like it's filling up with warm water. I take deeper breaths like I'm suffocating. My head gets cloudy and it becomes difficult to think. Time stops with my mind stuck on one thought. Her.

I had only been living in Ponyville for a few months, but it had felt more like years when I saw her. I mostly traveled by myself, doing odd jobs where ever I went and I never stayed in one place for to long until I came here. I liked it her, a place that was so friendly and everypony new each other. It was a welcoming being so familiar with everypony as apposed to being a stranger just passing through. Besides how could I bring myself to leave this place. Leave her. Twilight Sparkle. I first met her at a welcoming party thrown for me at the town hall by a very friendly yet eccentric mare named Pinkie Pie. Another mare named Applejack had told me that Pinkie usually through a party for every new face that entered the town. It was odd at first, I had to adjust to be around so many ponies at once . I hadn't been to a party in so long, let alone a party for me. I felt welcome. It was part of the reason I wanted to stay, but not the entire reason. It felt like the entire town was there, but all I could see was her. Out of every pony in the entire room the center of my attention was that lavender colored mare, with that beautiful two colored violet and brilliant rose mane.

Later on that night she came up to me to say hi. I nearly froze at he sound of her voice. "Hi, I'm Twilight Sparkle, I run the library in town." Her voice ran through my head like beautiful music. It didn't leave for the rest of the night. "Oh hi, I...I'm uhh Alden." I said nervously. I could feeling my heart beating within my chest, something that you don't just generally feel unless it's beating very fast. "Well it's very nice to meet you Alden." she said. "It's nice to meet you too beautiful." You ever have one of those moments where you're thinking something in your head and it slips out when you are talking because you were thinking it a lot at the time, that's what just happened to me. Oh crap, what did I just say! I stood there with a blank face awaiting her response expecting something bad from her shocked face. "Oh my. Thank you."She said with a giggle, blushing. Just like that, I was back. "I..said that out loud didn't I?" I asked feeling stupid, but in a good way. "Yeah you did." she said smiling. We talked for the rest of the night getting to know each other after I broke the ice and we agreed to be friends after that.

Over the next few weeks we hung and formed a pretty close relationship with each other. She introduced me to her friends Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and Spike who to my surprise was a dragon, although not as dangerous and fearsome as other dragons I had encountered in the past, it was interesting to meet a dragon that didn't want to straight up kill you. One day while I was out running some errands I saw her walking home with a ton of books in her saddlebags. If there was one thing I learned bout her over the last few weeks it was that she loved to read, a lot. She had so many books in fact it looked like she trouble carrying them all. I guessed that Spike was busy with some other task or chore and wasn't able to assist her at the time so I (obviously) decided to lend a hoof.

"Hey Twi!" I yelled. "Oh, Hi Alden!" she replied trying to wave. I trotted over to her to offer my assistance. "Hey, do you need any help?" I asked "No no, I'm okay. There not as heavy as they look." she said straining "Twi." I said flatly. "Ok fine. Here just take these ones." she said levitating several books out of her bags. I carefully put them on my back, making sure that they were balanced. I didn't really use my magic that much. It wasn't that I couldn't or didn't like to. I just like to keep my focus on what was around me. Not that I was expecting a surprise attack or anything (unless it was from Pinkie), it was just that traveling alone so long, I learned to watch my own back. You never knew what you could encounter on a dirt road while traveling. On the way to the library we talked. She asked me about my travels. Where I'd went and where I'd been. Where I would want to go in the future. I hadn't talked about those things with anyone before. it was good to vent through a good conversation. To have someone to talk to about those things.

Truth be told I'd done a lot of moving around prior to my arrival to the town. Trottingham, Fillydelphia, Manehatten, Canterlot, Tall Tale, Vanhoover. Even extremely far off places, off the beaten path so to speak like the Frozen North and the Badlands, but at he moment there was no place I'd rather be, safe, good townsfolk, and her. We arrived at the library and I helped her put the books inside on the shelves. I saw Spike sleeping in his basket. I see why she was alone, kid had to get his sleep. He was technically a baby after all. "Thanks for the help Alden, I appreciate it." she said. "Sure, anything for you." I said happy to help. As I was leaving out of the door she called to me. "Oh, and Alden?!" she said "Yeah?"

As I turned around to see what she wanted I was caught off guard as we almost walked into each other. Our faces were so close, but we didn't pull away. We were both stuck gazing into each others eyes for what felt like an eternity. Her eyes were a deep beautiful violet and it was like they went on forever. It was like staring out a window into the galaxy. So much to see that it just went on and on and you wanted to see more. The both of us began to breath deeply I fought the mad urge to lean in closer to kiss her, but I was a gentlemen and I didn't want to take advantage of the moment so I began to slowly back away.

Then out of nowhere while still almost locked in her gaze she am in closer for an unexpected kiss. My heart almost stopped at this, feeling her lips press against mine, and I enjoyed every moment of it. There was a sweet flavor. After a few seconds she pulled away. It was like being ripped from a place of warmth and security as our mouths disconnected. We looked at each other for a few seconds longer, our faces burning bright red. She formed a small, cute smile as she mouthed the words"see you tomorrow" and closed the door. I stood there for a few seconds, turned around, and headed home doing my best to lock that moment mentally in my mind and looked forward for what Twilight had in store for the next day.