• Published 6th Jan 2013
  • 834 Views, 43 Comments

The Elements of Equestria - trooper7051



Valiant has gone off on his own. An ancient evil has awakened on the far side of Equestria, nearby Valiant's destination, and threatens to devour him: body, mind, and soul. Can the combined might of the Elements of Equestria get to him in time?

  • ...
5
 43
 834

Chapter 14

The Elements of Equestria

Part 14

“O.K. let’s recap,” Rainbow Dash said, “Move your hooves and body, so you can use your opponent’s momentum against them.”

“Do not try to force anything.” Trooper added, “Gently guide and redirect their movements away from yourself. Imagine it is a dance, where the pony or creature trying to hurt you is your dance partner, you just have to move quickly. Think of it as you trying to help them by guiding them, gently push them farther in the direction they are already headed.”

“I . . . think I understand.” Fluttershy said nervously, “But couldn’t I hurt somepony if I move them around like that?”

“Not if you do it carefully. As long as you can redirect them correctly, the only thing that might happen would be that they trip and fall. Watch, Rainbow Dash is going to attack me and I am going to redirect her movements.” Trooper said.

The pegasi had decided to conduct their ongoing practice sessions on the ground since Fluttershy was such a weak flier. Trooper and Rainbow Dash stood several paces apart, facing each other, both in a prepared stance. Dash darted forward in a charge. She was coming in with her head down, charging like a bull. As she approached she thrust out her left shoulder and turned her head so as to strike him and throw him back with that side of her body. Trooper waited until she was close, then acted. He lowered his head and leaned to the side, stepping out to his right and bracing. Dash’s momentum sped her right into him. The royal blue pegasus used his head and shoulder to guide Rainbow’s body around and off to his left while he adjusted his flank and hind legs, turning to keep her in front of him. Dash slid against Trooper’s side and found herself still charging off, away from him.

Rainbow Dash stopped and turned around,
“See, Fluttershy, nothing to it.”

“You are a reed in the wind,” Trooper said, “That is what my instructor always said. You bend and sway, gently bending so as not to break. You know how there are never any jagged rocks in a stream? The rocks have been worn away by the water leaving only smooth rounded edges so that the water can flow smoothly around them. Come on over here and I will show you.”

Fluttershy gulped quietly and timidly approached the larger stallion then took her ready stance, Trooper began,
“I am going to move as if I am about to hit you. Do not worry, I will not, but the action is what counts. Use what you already know to read any broadcasts I give off and then redirect the blow away from yourself.”

Fluttershy nodded nervously. Trooper was standing right in front of her, she was not used to dodging in such close proximity and without as much time to prepare. She watched Trooper carefully, studying every inch of him that she could see. The slightest twitch of movement caught her eye, ‘Left side, muscles above his leg and on his knee. He’s going to pull it up in a . . . what was it . . . a hook.’ the thoughts sped through her mind in a millisecond, ‘Use the momentum,’ she thought. Her mind sped up and Trooper’s movements became sluggish, ‘Trooper saw which direction Rainbow Dash was going and kept her directed that way, but away from himself. I should be able to do the same.

Fluttershy ducked her head under and around the swing then stepped to the left, turning the rest of her body as she did. She raised her left leg and gently pushed Trooper’s hoof farther in the direction it was already heading, then stepped back still facing him. Trooper over-extended and stumbled forward, his balance thrown off.

Trooper took several steps and regained his balance then turned back to the custard pegasus mare,
“Exactly right, Fluttershy. Were you inclined to be the fighting type, I would say you have a natural gift for it. Unfortunately, I cannot use such gentle movements. I have to be a physical barrier and so I have to block and strike instead of dodging and redirecting all the time. If you will excuse us, Rainbow Dash and I need to get in some practice ourselves before breakfast.”

Fluttershy nodded and stepped back to watch the two blue hued pegasi face off. Rainbow Dash and Trooper squared off, this time already in close quarters. Dash began with a jab of her right leg. Trooper raised his left hoof and angled the blow away from himself then, using his right leg, he grabbed Dash by the same leg she swung at him and twisted his body. Dash stumbled to the side, but used the momentum to continue the movement until her flank was exposed to Trooper’s face. Dash kicked out with her left hind leg. Trooper held up his hooves and blocked the kick then held onto the leg with his fore hooves and spun again in the opposite direction, using his side and flank to push Dash to the side. His balance was precarious and Dash took advantage of it. She lifted her other hind leg and used the weight of her body to pull Trooper forward. Trooper fell forward, landing on his face then turned and rolled away from Dash, just as she spun around to face him once more.

They squared off again, ‘For a mare I am supposed to be protecting, she certainly does attack a lot. She needs to know how to defend herself too, but how am I supposed to make her learn if I do not attack back? Perhaps I should let Applejack have a go at her.’ Trooper thought. Trooper took several steps back and motioned for a halt.

Rainbow Dash relaxed her stance and raised her head,
“What’s up Troops?” she asked.

“I believe we are too evenly matched, Rainbow Dash. Neither of us can get any better unless we switch opponents. I think Applejack expressed an interest in challenging you, did she not?” Trooper hinted.

The cyan pegasus smirked,
“Yeah she did. Good idea there Troops.”

Trooper watched Dash fly off to where Applejack was sparring with Dr. Mend. The two Earth ponies stopped and spoke with Dash for a few moments before she and Applejack faced off.

Dr. Mend trotted over to Trooper,
“I guess that means you and me, huh?”

“I suppose it does.” Trooper said smiling to himself, ‘Mission accomplished.

*************************************************************************************

Valiant stirred and slowly awoke, ‘I really need to stop hitting my head.’ he thought. He cracked open his eyes and looked around, blinking owlishly, moving only his eyes. He easily recognized the inside of a medical facility as being his current surroundings. He tried to raise his head but found it securely strapped down. He tried moving his hooves but found they were likewise held immobile.

“Hello?” he called, “Is anypony there?”

“Hey there buddy!” an immensely deep voice called from somewhere nearby, “Glad to see you’re awake. Did you sleep well?”

“Is the filly alright?” Valiant asked, knowing where his priorities lay.

Colossus answered as he approached Valiant’s bed,
“She’s fine. You got pretty messed up saving her though. Are you feeling alright?”

Valiant was puzzled, the voice sounded not only friendly but cheerful,
“I guess so, but where are you and why am I strapped down?”

A heavily muscled, mountain of an Earth pony strode up to the side of his bed,
“Heh,” he chuckled, “Sorry about that. You’re strapped down because the nurses said you had to be, so you wouldn’t hurt yourself further. Sorry, but I can’t unbuckle you till the nurses say it’s O.K.”

“How long have I been out?” Valiant asked.

“This is the morning of day three for you here in Haysburg.” Colossus said.

“Who runs the clinic now?” Valiant asked.

“Triage and Trauma, they’re a pair of unicorns.” Colossus explained.

Valiant chuckled softly,
“Not only that, they’re also sisters. Is Trauma still so . . . outspoken?” he asked, not realizing that a quick mind would easily catch on to the fact that he wasn’t a newcomer.

His mind was blurry and he still couldn’t think straight. Fortunately Colossus wasn’t the type to use it against him.

Colossus burst out laughing,
“Oh yeah! You should hear her sometime! I think she’s got a permanent chip on her shoulder or something!”

“Believe me, I know; I grew up with her and Triage. My name’s Valiant, by the way.” he introduced.

“I’m Colossus. You can’t see her, but there’s another pony here too, her name’s Birdie. Don’t expect her to say much. She prefers to stay quiet.” Colossus explained.

Valiant quirked an eyebrow,
“Birdie? That’s a pretty unusual name.”

“She’s an unusual girl, but it’s not my place to talk about that. I’ll let her tell you if she feels like it.” Colossus said.

“Could you run and get Triage for me, Colossus? I’d rather talk to her than Trauma right now.” Valiant asked.

“Sure thing.” Colossus said, “I’ll be right back so don’t go anywhere.”

Valiant smiled at the playful jab,
“I’ll think about it.”

Valiant heard Colossus’ heavy hooves leading away from his bed, then the sound of a swinging door closing. He blinked a few times trying to clear his head. The entire room was completely silent, ‘Colossus sure was friendly. I guess he doesn’t know about me or something. Triage and Trauma have to know by now though. Wow, how stupid can you get? I was blabbing like I’ve lived here all my life. Colossus has to be really dense or something, any other pony would have picked right up on everything I said. I wonder, does anypony still talk about what happened?Maybe that’s why Colossus didn’t seem to be in the know. Wait a second, why are there two ponies in here with me? Colossus said there was another pony in here, but I can’t even hear any breathing.

“Your name’s Birdie right?” he asked.

After receiving no response, he tried again,
“Uh could you come over to where I can see you?” he asked.

Valiant heard the slow, distinctive sounds of metal-shod hooves clanking on the tile floor. His ears guided his eyes. A yellow veil came into view, followed by a pair of eyes that made Valiant’s blood run cold. The eyes were emotionless grey, deep and focused; penetrating almost as if she were looking straight into your soul, judging you. Behind those eyes though, was what truly frightened him, Valiant perceived a depth of raw emotion that ran straight to the soul. It was carefully concealed behind the emotionless mask, but he could sense it just the same. The waves and waves of emotional and mental agony sent shudders through his body. Never before had he ever seen anything so deep and profound; it was like looking at a pony who wanted to die, but refused to give up. The sight made the pegasus stallion feel queasy.

“Sweet mercy,” he whispered before thinking about the words.

Birdie’s eyes narrowed. She turned and clanked away from the side of his bed, still maintaining her silence.

“Wait!” Valiant called, “Please wait!”

He could no longer see her, but her steps had stopped,
“I’m sorry,” he apologized, “Please come back.”

The steps came back and soon Valiant cold see her veil once more, Birdie’s eyes were still narrowed,
“I’m sorry for saying that.”

Birdie didn’t respond in any fashion, so Valiant continued,
“It’s just your eyes; they’re so startling. I wasn’t trying to hurt your feelings.”

Birdie’s eyes softened slightly.

“If you don’t mind me asking,” Valiant began, “Why are you and Colossus in here with me?”

Birdie didn’t say a word.

“Alright then. Colossus did say you didn’t talk much. Would you be willing to nod your head if I ask you some questions?” Valiant asked.

Birdie nodded once very slightly, it could have almost been Valiant’s imagination.

“Do you know about me?” he asked.

Birdie nodded almost imperceptibly.

“Does the rest of Haysburg know?” he continued.

Birdie shook her head slightly.

In a flash of movement, Birdie disappeared from Valiant’s field of view. Seconds later, he heard the doors to the room swing open followed by several sets of hooves.

Colossus came back into Valiant’s view,
“Yep, he’s still awake.”

This is it.’ Triage thought, steeling her nerves, ‘I still can’t believe he came back after everything that happened with Arabesque.’ the thought of the Arabesque’ death still upset her, ‘Heartfelt said he was in love with her. Valiant, what were you thinking?

Triage walked into Valiant’s view, on his left, her expression was empty,
“Have you been forgiven?” she asked sternly, “I need to know, right now. Have you been forgiven for what you did?”

Valiant nodded,
“I have, Triage. After five years, Arabesque forgave me. I had to die to do it, but yes she did.”

Triage’s face showed no emotion,
“Don’t play games with me.” she said, “I’m risking my neck for you. I need to know for sure. Trauma and I have heard of the Valiant-Mend Technique, but I have to be certain.”

“I swear to you, I’m not playing any games. It’s true. How do you think I’m alive after I already said I died? I’m living proof that it works. I was dead for two days before I was revived.” Valiant explained.

Triage carefully examined Valiant’s face for any sign of dishonesty. She found nothing but open honesty, ‘He’s not lying.’ she thought, ‘As hard as it may be to believe, he’s telling the truth.

“I believe you.” she said softly, her face showing the ghost of a smile, “Welcome back Valiant.”

“You could welcome me back better if I wasn’t tied down like this.” Valiant said hinting at the obvious.

Triage shook her head,
“Sorry, but you have to stay like that for a little while longer. I’m going to go get Trauma so we can change your bandages. Then we can see if we can let you up.” Triage said.

“If you need help lifting him,” Colossus began, “I can do it.”

“I know you can, Colossus, but he needs a unicorn to lift him evenly so his back doesn’t bend, it could break open his injury.” Triage said.

“Do you need us to leave?” Colossus asked.

“Trauma would probably be happier if you did, just don’t go very far. Could you run and get her for me please? Oh and send Heartfelt in when she arrives.” Triage asked quietly so Valiant wouldn’t hear.

“No problem,” Colossus said turning to leave, “Come on Birdie, time to go terrorize Trauma some more.”

Triage watched the two friends leave, then turned back to Valiant, the silence was awkward,
“How have you been?” she asked, not able to think of anything else to say.

“I’ve been a lot worse.” Valiant said smiling.

Triage walked a few paces away and began preparing fresh bandages from a cart,
“I’ll bet. How in the world did you lose your wings?”

Valiant smiled ruefully,
“Let’s just say a bear enjoyed a full tummy after I freed him from an avalanche.”

Triage’s head snapped up,
“How did you manage to stave off total hypovolemia? You were obviously exsanguinating from the injuries.”

Valiant rolled his eyes,
“Still using the big words from that medical training seminar, huh? It’s a good thing I was there too, otherwise I would have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. Why don’t we just stick to simple terms, my brain is still a little foggy.”

“Fine then,” Triage said, “How did you keep from bleeding to death?”

Valiant thanked his lucky stars for the reprieve from the medical jargon and answered candidly,
“I wrapped myself up in my blanket. Unfortunately the injuries got infected and I didn’t have any water or any of my healing potion. I was delirious by the time I reached Ponyville. I got lucky, a pegasus mare found me. She took me to a friend’s home and they had the local doctor patch me up.”

“Sounds fun.” Triage said sarcastically, “That doctor did a good job though, the stumps are barely visible.”

“You might have heard of him. He’s the other one that the Valiant-Mend Technique was named for. Doesn’t the name Mend ring any bells?” Valiant said.

“I think so . . . “ Triage was interrupted by the sound of the doors swinging open.

Heartfelt walked in hurriedly, right up to Valiant’s bedside, then stopped when she saw his face,
“So it is you.” she whispered, “You’ve come back to us.”

Valiant’s heart lurched in his chest,
“How’s the orphanage?” he asked, voice cracking.

Growing up, Heartfelt had been the closest thing to a ‘mother figure’ Valiant had. Seeing her again, nearly brought him to tears. He struggled to keep his emotions in check, but the battle was a tough one and he couldn’t keep his voice from cracking.

Heartfelt smiled and leaned over to nuzzle one of the, now grown, colts she thought of as her own,
“Is it true?” she asked, whispering in his ear, “Have you been forgiven?”

Valiant smiled,
“Yes ma’am. That’s the only reason I’d come back.”

Heartfelt knew she was crying, her tears soaked Valiant’s mane,
“Five years, Valiant,” she said, “Five years of not knowing what happened to you. I felt like I lost two of my own foals that day. Don’t you ever do that to me again.”

Valiant smiled warmly, fervently wishing he could nuzzle back his matron,
“I never meant for it to happen in the first place. You don’t have to worry anymore. I’m home.”

Heartfelt laughed through her tears,
“I know you are, Valiant.” she sniffed, “I’m sorry but I can’t stay for long. Molasses can watch the orphans for a little while, but the poor dear gets confused so easily.”

Valiant had been concerned about what had happened to Molasses. Hearing Heartfelt say he was alright, made him feel a great deal better.

The older Earth pony mare lifted her head, wiping her eyes with a hoof,
“Come by when you can, alright? I know you’re going to have problems dealing with the rest of the village, but I’m sure it’ll work out. I have to go.” she said turning toward the doors, “I love you, Valiant. I’m so glad you’re back.”

On her way out, Heartfelt asked Triage,
"You said his face was wrapped up. When did you take it off?"

The unicorn Nurse spoke without turning her head from her work,
"Early this morning we went to change the dressing and found that his face was fine so we only re-wrapped his head."

"Thank you Triage. I'll see you later." Heartfelt said as she pushed open the swinging doors to the ward.

Valiant watched her go in silence, ‘I should have known she, of all ponies, would welcome me back. Maybe this will work out after all.’ he thought.

“So,” Trauma said as she walked through the swinging doors, “He’s awake is he? Come on, out with it sister. I know you’ve been dying to ask. Has he been forgiven?”

“Same old Trauma, huh?” Valiant asked.

“I was not talking to you, thank you very much.” Trauma said, “I don’t have the right to address you directly until I know.”

“I’ve been forgiven, Trauma. I wouldn’t be here if I hadn’t.” Valiant said.

Trauma walked over and peered down at the royal blue pegasus stallion,
“Ballsy move, Valiant. Good luck getting the rest of the village to accept the story. Most of them like you about as much as they like tornados.”

“You never did dance around the difficult topics did you?” Valiant asked smirking.

Trauma shrugged,
“If something needs to be addressed, I address it. There’s no point in being secretive if you’re going to be talking about it.”

“How about being sensitive?” Valiant asked.

“I’m not insensitive, Valiant, I’m practical. I haven’t said a single harsh word to you yet have I? I’m blunt and to the point, I always have been, you know that. I’m sorry if it’s a painful topic for you though.” Trauma said, face softening.

“I’m just glad I have tough skin.” Valiant said pouting playfully.

Trauma chuckled dryly,
“Seems to me, the road is a bit tougher. Just ask your back. Your friend Surf was holding a heavier filly and he’s not half as bad off as you are.”

Valiant’s ears shot forward,
“Surf got hurt?”

“He’s fine, Valiant.” Trauma sighed, “That neon colored charmer was released yesterday afternoon. He’s staying at the Inn right now. You and Surf did a good thing, saving those fillies, but you need to be more careful. You were almost killed.”

“Better me than a filly.” Valiant said.

“I don’t judge one life to be more important than another. If one dies and one lives there’s still the same number of ponies in the world.” Trauma said.

Triage walked over, pulling a cart with her,
“Almost ready.”

“I see a difference, Trauma.” Valiant said, “A filly is young. She has a full life ahead of her. She can grow up, have a great job, get married, have a family, there’s no end to the possibilities.”

“And that’s different from you in what way?” Trauma asked, eyebrows rising, “You can invent countless potions that might save hundreds of lives. You can still get married and have a family too, you know. You always de-valued yourself, Valiant. It used to drive me crazy. You need to wake up and realize you’re not worthless. If I thought you were, I wouldn’t be here tending to you. Now hold still. We need to change your bandages.”

*************************************************************************************

“Bloody, fast-healing pegasus.” Trauma grumbled as she walked out of the I.C.U.

Searcher, Colossus, and Birdie were standing just outside the swinging doors,
“Can we go in now?” Searcher asked.

“When did you get here?” Trauma asked Searcher.

“Birdie came and got me when Colossus was fetching you.” Searcher said.

“Yes, yes.” Trauma said waving a hoof, “I’m heading out to get his discharge papers in order. You’re going to have your work cut out for you. When he steps out of this clinic, all of Haysburg is going to have a conniption fit. Maybe I should start on a death certificate while I’m at it.”

Searcher led Colossus and Birdie through the doors to the I.C.U. Triage was wrapping fresh bandages around Valiant’s mid-riff and head, but the stallion was standing on his own. The unicorn mare was having a slow time of it. Valiant’s back had begun healing quickly and most of his skull fractures had almost completely mended, but the scabs on his back might still break open. The two unicorn sisters both agreed he could be discharged, but with certain conditions applied; conditions such as fresh bandages for several more days.

Triage didn’t notice the three visitors and Valiant had his eyes closed,
“That potion of yours works wonders, Valiant. Trauma and I found a way to condense it so that it works more intensely, but I never thought it could do something like this. Then again, we don’t tend to have a plethora of extreme cases. When a tornado hits, we get either cold bodies or minor injuries. There’s no middle ground with a tornado, you’re either dead or you’re barely hurt.”

“It is indeed an impressive elixir.” Searcher said politely, “I take it this is the stallion who invented it?”

Triage turned her head and motioned the three ponies over, while she continued to work.

“I only discovered it, but yes. Who are you?” Valiant asked wincing slightly as Triage wrapped the bandage a little too tightly in a sensitive place on his back.

“Forgive me, young hero.” the unicorn said bowing, “I am called Searcher. I wanted to meet the pony who caused such an . . . episode and then had the gumption to come back and save a resident of a town that hates him. That takes a lot of guts.”

Valiant smiled mirthlessly,
“Yeah, and they were nearly spilled out all over the road when I did it.”

“You’re too modest, forgiven one. You have character and a lot of it, to be willing to do what you did.” Searcher said.

“You obviously know about my past then.” Valiant stated, cracking open his left eye to take a look at Searcher.

Searcher nodded,
“Indeed I do. I would have used your name but you haven’t told it to me yet.”

“I’m sure you’ve heard it by now.” Valiant said dryly, “Why the games?”

Searcher held up a hoof,
“No games. It’s just my way of being respectful.”

“Call me Valiant, then. What can I do for you?” he asked.

“Actually, I think I can do something for you.” Searcher said approaching Valiant, “But first, I need to ask you a question. Why did you return?”

Valiant was caught off-guard by the blunt question but quickly recovered,
“I suppose, I want to be forgiven.”

“But you already have been, haven’t you?” Searcher asked wryly.

“I mean I want to try to make things right, here is Haysburg.” Valiant said.

“You’re off to a good start then.” Searcher said walking around Valiant, “Unfortunately, I sincerely doubt that most of Haysburg’s residents would be willing to just let go of grudges they’ve been carrying around for five years. Bluntly, dear Valiant, you need to do more to win their approval once again. To that end, I propose an idea: be seen, without being recognized.”

Searcher carefully tested the thickness of Valiant’s legs and chest, nodding to himself, ‘He’s built like an athlete. He’s got strong muscles, yet he’s still wiry and flexible. I’d say he’s a pony who knows how to handle himself, if the stories about the other night were any indication. Exactly as I thought, he can do it; he can lead Haysburg.

Valiant quirked an eyebrow,
“How do you mean?” he asked.

“It’s quite simple, really. Use a disguise to hide your identity while you work in front of the public’s eye. Become the heroic icon that Haysburg needs in this time of crisis. You’ve already shown yourself to be capable, daring, and willing to do whatever it takes to protect your home. Why not continue working toward their forgiveness and getting the recognition you deserve while boosting the village’s morale while you’re at it. Colossus and Birdie are both capable in their own right and my mind is keen, not to mention your friend has his clever devices and methods. He thinks outside the box, as do you; you’ve shown that to be true already. Between all of us, we can save the village and fight off this menace to Equestria. Haysburg needs a strategist, I can fill that role easily enough, but the ponies need a leader, someone they look up to. Birdie, Colossus, and I have already shown ourselves to be useful, but not everypony trusts us. I’ve been talking about the light for a while now, but darkness still festers in far too many hearts for my words to reach them and have any discernable effect. They need reassurance and strong leadership. You and your friend can give them exactly that. You’ll need to use a different name of course; something symbolic and powerful, while still seeming to be accessible.” Searcher paused for dramatic effect, “What say you, Natival?”

“Natival?” Valiant asked, “That’s ancient Equestrian for ‘shadow’. Are you sure that’s appropriate?”

“Absolutely,” Searcher enthused, “Without light there can be no shadows and to have a shadow, something or somepony, has to be standing with light at their back. That’s how Haysburg will see you, as a hero, silhouetted in light, defending them from the beasts from beyond the mountains. What better way to make you sound both approachable and still heroic? Every pony casts a shadow, giving you an air of familiarity, something they can identify with, yet the name makes you sound mysterious.” Searcher chuckled, “Plus, it’s rather ironic that all the letters in your real name just happen to be in ‘Natival’ as well.”

“What kind of a disguise am I supposed to wear anyway?” Valiant asked.

“Surely you have something with you; a cloak, a poncho, something. I can make you an enchanted leg ring to hold the disguise for when you need to don it quickly. I need to stay as anonymous as possible though. If it became widely known that I helped you, it would taint you in the eyes of my opposition.” Searcher said.

Valiant’s thoughts turned to the suite that Eve . . . Luna had her friend custom make for he and the other stallions,
“I do have something, but my face, mane, and tail will be visible. If I could get some black cloth, I could probably tie up and cover my mane and tail. I suppose I could wrap the cloth around my face too.”

“That,” Searcher said, “I can get a hold of easily enough. I can start work on the enchanted leg ring for you today. If you wish, I can even throw some protective enchantments onto it.”

“What do you get out of all this?” Valiant asked suspiciously, “You’re willing to go through a lot of trouble for a former Vagabond.”

“I won’t lie, my motives are somewhat selfish. I’m an archeologist, by trade. If the gryphons take Haysburg, I will have no good place to ferret out the ancient secrets of Equestria. I’ll lose access to the most powerful artifacts and ancient knowledge to be found in all of Equestria. I do care about the ponies of Haysburg though, so don’t think I’m completely self-centered.” Searcher explained.

“Speaking of which, why are the gryphons attacking Haysburg? In the time I lived here, there were never any incidents that even came close to what happened the other night. What changed?” Valiant asked.

Searcher looked boldly at the pegasus stallion,
“Do you have any idea what they’re capable of, Valiant?” Searcher asked,“Ask Birdie sometime. She’ll tell you what they’re capable of: cruelty, torture, starvation, all manner of depravity you have nightmares about. I called one of them out. I asked it what it would do if one gryphon killed another, even by accident. Do you know what it told me? It said they would kill the killer, thereby becoming a killer themselves. I know my history, Valiant. Do you know what caused the Gryphon War? A gryphon killed a mare while it was out hunting and the mare’s husband witnessed the whole thing. It was no accident either. The gryphon intentionally hunted a pony for food. They eat us, Valiant! They may act civilized on the outside, but on the inside, they’re animals! What kind of monster eats meat anyway? Beasts! Eating meat is bad enough, but murdering an innocent pony, a sentient being who thinks and feels, who has hopes and dreams? Unforgivable!” Searcher spat.

Calming himself somewhat, Searcher continued,
“It’s not my place to give you specifics, but I’ll tell you this. Four years ago, I was doing research in the Razor Wing Mountains. I was inside a cave which led to an ancient, abandoned pony settlement inside one mountain when I heard a scream from the mouth of the cave. I went to investigate and stumbled upon a scene which will haunt me till the end of my days. A gryphon had chased Birdie into the cave and the two of them were struggling violently. I couldn’t make her out very well, but her veil and cloak were torn in several places and heavily stained with blood. The gryphon was scrabbling after her like a possessed beast, while Birdie bravely tried to fight the fiend off. I managed to reach her and teleport both of us away. The gryphon flew all around the mountain, screeching something I couldn’t make out. Do you know what emotion that screech sounded of? Sorrow. It was sad to have lost its slave. We had to hide while we snuck away through the mountains. It took days and I lost all of the equipment I had at the time. We nearly died from exposure to the elements, but I would do it all over again. Birdie won’t tell me exactly what happened, but I respect her enough not to pry. I never saw what she looked like until she saved my life. When I tell you they abused her, I’m making such an understatement, you wouldn’t believe! She’s been through more hardships than most twenty ponies I’ve ever heard of. Gryphons are vile, Valiant. They can’t be trusted. I don’t know about everypony else, but I know I don’t go around eating my neighbors. Why do you think they’ve begun taking fillies and colts? The meat is more tender, and younger slaves will last longer! That’s why! I swear by the Light, they will not have Haysburg! Nopony else will have to suffer like Birdie has as long as we can help it. This ends here! WE stop it RIGHT HERE!”

Valiant felt Searcher’s words stir something inside of him,
“You make a sound argument Searcher, but there’s one more thing you need to know about me. I don’t kill. What happened with Arabesque was an accident and I won’t do it again, nor will I allow anypony I see, to do it either.”

Searcher nodded,
“I can understand that, I suppose, but these beasts need to be taught a lesson.”

“They can’t learn anything if they’re dead, can they?” Valiant countered.

“Others will see and learn . . . “ Searcher began.

Valiant cut him off,
“NO!” he said boldly, “No killing! I’ve seen enough of it! You have no idea what it does to you! I had to kill a rabid Lupus once and it was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do. My soul shattered when Arabesque died because of me. It’s a dark path from which there is little, if any hope of redemption. No killing. I’m not going to bend on this, Searcher, and that’s final.”

Searcher’s mind recoiled, ‘He killed a Lupus? What kind of a warrior is he?

“Alright then,” Searcher conceded, “No killing.”

“I’ll do it then.” Valiant said, “I’ll stand with you.”

“You aren’t alone, dude.” Surf said from the doorway, “Trauma came and got me. I totally heard the whole thing bro and I’m with you. Next time they attack, we’ll be ready. Teach me how to fight, Valiant. I’ve seen the kinds of things you can do.”

“You’re right Surf, but you’re thinking on too small a scale. We need to train every pony in Haysburg how to fight. With a whole village of trained, fighting ponies to contend with, those gryphons won’t know what hit them, especially if they’re as strong and tough as Earth ponies.” Valiant said.

“Our weakness remains the same, though.” Searcher pointed out, “Gryphons can fly.”

“True enough,” Valiant admitted, “But I’d like to see any gryphon try to deal with an Earth pony that can fly and drop weighted nets onto them.”

Surf & Turf leapt into the air,
“Dude! That is an awesome idea!”

Valiant looked squarely at the small gathering of ponies,
“From now on, call me Natival.” he said smiling, “Where are my saddlebags?”

*************************************************************************************

Mill Treader watched from a narrow alleyway as Searcher, Colossus, and Birdie left the clinic,
“What were THEY doing there?” the red clay pony asked himself, “Do they know?”

Miller watched as Searcher led his two ‘minions’ into the tailor shop. Mill Treader had dubbed Colossus and Birdie ‘minions’ after Birdie had beat him and forced him to get over a hundred stitches in their confrontation some weeks prior. He hated the cloaked pegasus with fiery passion. He wasn’t prejudiced against pegasi, but Birdie had over-reacted when he challenged Searcher and he wasn’t the type to let something like that go easily. He kept up his vigil until the three re-emerged from the tailor shop. Searcher passed something dark to Colossus, then he and Birdie walked off toward the Mayor’s office. Colossus entered the clinic and came back out a few minutes later then headed to the Mayor’s office as well.

Mill Treader waited for another minute before venturing out of his hiding place and toward the clinic. Something strange was going on and he wanted to know what it was. Ever since Searcher and his minions showed up, Miller had been getting a bad vibe from the trio, especially Searcher. There was just something about him the Earth pony stallion couldn’t identify, that just set his nerves on edge. The problems with the gryphons hadn’t started until Searcher showed up, but Miller seemed to be the only pony capable of realizing it. He saw Searcher as a threat to his home and the ponies he loved. His home was threatened and he felt he had to do something about it. He had some friends who disagreed with Searcher for their own reasons, but their combined mistrust made them able to work as a group. At all times, at least one pony was to be watching Searcher and his minions to see what they were up to.

Miller walked into the clinic and spotted Triage at the reception desk,
“Hello Miller,” she greeted, “How are you today?”

“I’m doing just fine, Triage.” he said leaning up against the desk, “How is our mystery stallion doing?”

Triage looked left and right down the hallway then leaned over whispering,
“He’s been forgiven, Miller. Isn’t that great?”

“That’s a load off my back. I was worried there for a while.” he answered.

In truth Mill Treader wasn’t lying, he had been concerned, but for different reasons that Triage thought,
“So what now? Is he just going to walk out and announce himself to the public? I don’t know about you, but I can’t see that ending particularly well for either him or you; or your sister for that matter.”

“He’s going to announce himself alright, but he’s going to be doing it while in disguise. He’s going to help protect the village and let everypony see him do it for a while so they can watch and understand that he’s changed. He’ll reveal himself after a long enough time and hope for the best. I think it’s got a good chance of working.” Triage said excitedly.

Mill Treader chewed his lip, this was a problem. He wasn’t one of the ponies who hated Valiant, but he didn’t entirely trust him either. Granted, he did save a filly at a steep cost to himself and everypony deserved a chance to redeem themselves, but Miller remembered what had happened with Arabesque too, ‘A wise pony doesn’t forget the past. You can learn a great deal from it. Forgiveness is divine, but don’t subject yourself to unnecessary risk.’ he thought, ‘Valiant deserves a chance and I couldn’t live with myself if I ended up sabotaging his efforts. If Searcher is helping him though, that can’t be a good thing. Blast it all! That unicorn is a clever one. I can’t call him out because Valiant would be caught in the blast. I’d have to reveal what I saw and end up destroying whatever chance he has at being accepted again in the process. What if I misjudged Searcher though? Maybe he is on the level and just wants to help. No, that’s not it. If that were the case, he wouldn’t need to be so secretive about what he’s doing. Triage never mentioned that Searcher was helping Valiant, but the dark thing from the tailor shop had to be something to help with the disguise. He’s helping Valiant alright, but to what end? What is his game?

“Are you alright, Miller?” Triage asked, concerned.

Mill Treader shook his head,
“Yeah, I’m fine; just thinking about some things. These past couples of weeks have been crazy and I get the feeling it’s just going to get worse.”

Triage patted her friend’s muscular hoof,
“It’s going to be alright, Miller. The village is going to be fine, you’ll see.”

Miller’s head snapped up and his ears shot forward in intense interest as the Mayor walked through the clinic’s doors. The Mayor was an older, slightly pudgy, dull orange Earth pony mare. Her mane and tail were faded gold and her cutie-mark was a set of balanced scales. She was not only Haysburg’s Mayor, but its Judge as well. She had started off as just a Judge, but when the previous Mayor had passed away from a stroke, she had been elected to the task.

Triage smiled and greeted her respectfully,
“Good day Mayor. Is there something you needed?”

“Yes, Triage. I’ve heard that this other mystery stallion is ready to be released. I would like to speak with him if that’s alright.” the Mayor asked.

So Searcher asked the Mayor to do something. This can’t be good; if he’s got her wrapped around his hoof, who knows who else he’s influencing.’ Miller thought.

“I’ll go see if he’s presentable.” Triage said rising from the desk, “I’ll be right back.”

*************************************************************************************

Valiant walked out of the I.C.U. wearing his new disguise. Triage had told him the Mayor wanted to speak with him and he figured this was his chance to begin his secret crusade in the public eye. His mane and tail were wrapped in the black fabric Colossus had brought and his muzzle was covered with a piece that wrapped around the back of his head, obscuring the bandages. The black suit and socks, covered the rest of his body. The rubber soles of the socks made his steps completely silent and where the fabric of the suit rubbed together, it made no sound. In his disguise, he was completely unidentifiable save for his voice and the skin around his eyes and neck, but he figured that few if any would make the connection. They would be looking for a pegasus, not an Earth pony, if they were even looking. He truly looked like a pony ninja. At his side walked Surf & Turf. The neon colored Earth pony wore his hooks and hang glider, like he was ready to try out some new extreme sport.

The Mayor was waiting for him in the middle of the hallway. Over her shoulder, Valiant spotted Mill Treader standing next to the reception desk, ‘Good old Miller.’ he thought, ‘He looks like he’s done well for himself.

Valiant walked up to the Mayor and bowed deeply,
“How may I be of service?” he asked deepening his voice.

The Mayor cocked her head to the right, sizing up the mysterious hero,
“Are you the stallions who saved the two fillies three nights ago?”

Surf & Turf smiled and stepped forward,
“We sure are babe, and we’re ready to do it again anytime you need us.”

“I’m the Mayor of Haysburg and you may address me as such. What should I call the two of you?” she asked.

“The name’s Surf & Turf, but you can just call me Surf.” the extreme sports enthusiast chirped.

“You may call me Natival, lady Mayor. Surf and I are at your service. Anything we can do to help, will be at your disposal.” Valiant said.

“If you don’t mind me asking, Natival, why are you wearing that suit? Searcher said he met you, but he failed to give me any kind of description.” the Mayor ventured.

“I have scars, Mayor. I also have significant disfiguring to my body and I wish for them to remain hidden for the time being. I may eventually reveal myself, but for the moment, I would like to keep my anonymity intact. I sincerely hope this won’t become a problem.” Valiant explained.

“I would very much like to know the identity of both the stallions to whom we owe our thanks. I will be blunt with you, Natival. I don’t like having masked ponies running around my village. If something happens, say something is stolen perhaps, I will be looking in your direction first. We here in Haysburg are not the types to go about harshly judging others based solely upon their appearance. I won’t stop you if you wish to help, nor will I intentionally make your time here any more difficult than it needs to be, but let me make myself clear. Birdie has already caused no small measure of trouble and a second masked pony may not go over well with the village.” the Mayor said honestly, “Now with that out of the way, let me say, thank you, Natival for saving little Damson; and thank you, Surf for saving Raspberry. Those fillies owe you their lives and such brave deeds do not go unnoticed in Haysburg. I have arranged for a small celebration to be held this evening, in your honor and to welcome you to our humble village. The celebration is to be held in the village square at six. Can I expect you both to attend?”

“You bet babe!” Surf exclaimed, “I LOVE parties!”

The Mayor eyed Surf in annoyance,
“My name is not ‘babe’, Surf & Turf and I will thank you not to refer to me as such.”

“Uh, sorry Mayor.” Surf said apologetically.

“I’ll be there madam Mayor. You can count on that. I plan to stick around Haysburg for as long as I need to.” Valiant said.

The Mayor smiled and turned to leave,
“I’ll see you then, Surf, Natival. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some things to take care of for this evening.”

The Mayor left without another word, heading back in the direction of her office. Surf and Valiant walked up to the reception desk. Mill Treader eyed Valiant, smirking.

Surf recognized red clay colored Earth pony immediately,
“Hey, you’re the dude who tried to help me up the other night. I’m glad you were there and everything.”

Miller nodded,
“Not a problem, Surf. You did what I couldn’t and for the right reasons. It was my pleasure.” Miller then turned to Valiant, “As for you, Natival was it? That’s a very interesting name. It’s not any name I would associate with most ponies, although one does come to mind and it just so happens that his name has all the same letters, plus he’s royal blue too. You wouldn’t happen to know who he is now would you?”

“Oh stop it Miller.” Triage said, “He knows, Valiant, but he’s also agreed not to say anything. Isn’t that right, Miller?”

“Not a peep to anypony who doesn’t already know. By my count, that’s Triage, Trauma, and Surf obviously. Am I missing anypony?” Mill Treader asked.

“Molasses and Miss Heartfelt know too.” Valiant said.

“Is that everypony then?” Miller prodded.

“The whole village may know eventually.” Valiant said evading the question.

“Yes, I heard that, but are there any other ponies who know who you really are?” Miller said trying to squeeze the answer out of Valiant.

“What’s your problem, Miller?” Triage asked, “You act like you don’t trust him.”

“Can you really blame me, Triage? All this secrecy doesn’t sit well with me. I’m all for letting him help out, Celestia knows we need it right now, but I like straight answers.” Miller said.

“Dude, he hasn’t lied to you about anything.” Surf said.

“No, but he did evade the question when I asked if anypony else knew who he was and I also noticed that you two did as well. What is everypony hiding?” Miller asked directly.

“It’s none of your business, Miller.” Triage said pleadingly, “Please, this is supposed to be a happy time. Valiant’s come home and he’s going to try to help us. Why are you so set against him?”

“I’m not against him, missy. If I was, I would have spilled the beans by now and there would be an angry mob waiting right outside these doors. I’m not against anypony per se, but I am worried about Haysburg. We didn’t have any problems with the gryphons until Searcher and his minions showed up. Since then, it’s been everything but a pitched battle on our doorstep. If he really cared so much, then why doesn’t he want us contacting Canterlot for help? That fiend of his, Birdie, could reach the Princesses in just a couple of days. He doesn’t want Celestia or Luna to know about what’s happening here and I want to know why. We’ve let him waltz right on in here and practically take over the village and I don’t like it. He’s got the only pegasus with wings, for miles in any direction yet he’s not having her send for help. If he doesn’t send word to Canterlot by the next time we’re attacked, I’m going to do it myself.” Mill Treader said.

Triage sighed,
“Miller, you’re blowing this all out of proportion. Searcher doesn’t want to send word because he thinks we can handle this ourselves . . . “

“We’ve already lost seven foals to the gryphons! I’d say we’re not handling it very well!” Miller yelled, “The only reason I’ve waited this long is because I’ve grown up around the gryphons, we all have. I can’t see them harming the foals and I’m hoping they’re going to contact us soon and explain everything. I’m not kidding, Triage, I’ll be gone by the time the air clears after the next attack. I’m going to go visit Princess Celestia personally and explain what’s going on.”

Miller turned back to Valiant,
“Here’s what I was getting at. I saw Searcher and his minions leave here then go to the tailor shop. They come back out and Searcher passes a piece of dark fabric off to Colossus then he and Birdie head on over to the Mayor’s office. Colossus brings it in here then I see you wearing it afterward. Searcher, Birdie, and Colossus know, don’t they? That’s what you three were trying to hide. I was asking in the hope that somepony would come clean about it so I would know who I could trust. Apparently, I can’t trust anypony anymore!”

Mill Treader turned and stormed out of the front doors of the clinic with Triage calling after him. The red clay Earth pony ignored her, ‘He’s got them brain-washed, all of them!’ Miller stopped and looked around at his home town sadly, ‘If I don’t do something soon it might be too late. I won’t let my home be destroyed by some silver-tongued manipulator and his cronies!’ with those thoughts running through his mind, Miller ran back toward his home to pack.

Back in the clinic, Triage watched her friend storm off in a huff,
“Poor Miller.” she said, “He’s convinced that Searcher is some kind of monster.”

“Uh Triage,” Valiant addressed, “Miller’s got a good point though. I wasn’t aware that there hasn’t been any word sent out to Canterlot yet. Princess Celestia has dealt with the gryphons for far longer than any of us have been alive. Notifying her should have been your first priority. Furthermore, he’s right on a second point, Birdie could get there the fastest We might already have the full strength of Celestia’s Royal Guard out here by now, not to mention she would very likely be out here herself to talk to the gryphons. We need to send a messenger to Canterlot right away.”

“Valiant, it’s not necessary,” Triage said trying to placate the disguised stallion, “I can’t explain it well. Go talk to Searcher, he can do a much better job of it that I can. He’s got Haysburg’s best interest at heart, you’ll see. Why don’t you go talk to him right now?”

Valiant nodded,
“Alright I will. Come on Surf, we need some answers.” Valiant looked around for his friend, “Surf?”

“Over here dude,” Surf waved from the front doors, “I’m, like, totally ahead of you there, buddy.”

Valiant turned back to Triage,
“Where can I find Searcher?” he asked.

“He likes to hang out in the village square most of the time.” she said waving to the two stallions already on their way out.

*************************************************************************************

“Attack!” the call went out loud and clear, “From the swamps! They’re attacking from the swamps!”

Valiant and Surf had only just stepped out of the clinic when the call went up. Ponies who had stopped to stare at the two stallions now took off at a dead run, heading toward the swamp side of Haysburg which was not that far from the orphanage. Surf & Turf followed Valiant’s lead, but he could have done without it. Everypony was heading in the same direction already. The swamps bordered on the Western side of the village with rolling hills to the North, the Eldritch Basin to the East, and the road to New Yoke off to the South. The sky was overcast, as it often was given the location, and the afternoon was quickly fading toward evening.

Surf mentally prepared himself for a second bout of pain from rescuing another colt or filly. Valiant ran as fast as he could, legs pumping against the road almost silently. A screech heralded their ears as Birdie zipped past them, heading straight toward the swamps. Colossus and Searcher came up from behind them, falling into step.

“Come on boys!” Colossus yelled, “We’ve got some feathers to ruffle!”

Valiant turned his head and addressed Searcher harshly,
“Why didn’t you send a messenger to Canterlot when all this began!?” he yelled, “We could have backup by this point! If the gryphons are hiding out in the swamps now, any hope he had of sending a message to Canterlot is probably lost! What have you done!?”

Searcher was obviously not used to much physical strain, even being an archeologist who worked in the field,
“I’m sorry my friend!” he called between breaths, “I truly am! I fear my foolish pride may have cost us dearly! You’re right, I should have sent word sooner! When this battle is over, I’ll see if Birdie can get through! They gryphons will probably be watching the ground more than anything else!”

Valiant let the issue be, for the moment, there were more pressing matters to attend to. The four stallions rounded a corner, bringing the orphanage into view. At a glance, it was obviously not the primary target this time. A great number of the homes along the sides of the road had their doors broken down while a sentinel gryphon stood guard outside each one. The sounds of banging and clanging came from within each home accompanied by the sounds of screaming, crying, and fighting. The fastest ponies had already reached the closest gryphons and were engaged in a fierce struggle against the brawny creatures.

Valiant quickly estimated that the ponies engaging the closest gryphons, would win out by sheer weight of numbers,
“They’ve got this, come on!” he yelled.

Farther down the street, Valiant saw Birdie fighting with a gryphon. The scene was one that burned itself into his mind. She had apparently tackled the thing head on. The gryphon flapped its one exposed wing wildly as it lay on its side, trying in vain to shield its head with its front claws while its back claws kicked at the enraged pegasus mare. Birdie was situated on top of the gryphon pounding away at its shoulders and torso with her shod hooves. She had the side of its neck in her, still veiled, mouth and was holding on and thrashing away mercilessly while it screeched in agony. Birdie’s shoes grew more and more red with every strike.

The gryphon suddenly cried out,
“I yield! I yield! Don’t kill me!”

The gryphon’s cries fell on deaf ears. Birdie thrashed her head back and forth, worrying the pleading creature while she continued stomping at it.

The gryphon screeched in terror,
“Stop it! I surrender! Please!”

Birdie was relentless. If anything, she redoubled her efforts. Her hooves flew up and down pummeling the gryphon in a flurry of strikes. Her hooves were a blur as the gryphon’s blood flew in all directions.

Valiant began to veer off toward the scene when Surf cut in front of him,
“I got this bro! Go handle something else!”

Valiant decided to trust his friend and continued on to the next house. Colossus and Searcher took to the opposite side of the street, each heading toward a different gryphon guarding a different house. The charging pegasus stallion peered at the gryphon guarding the house in front of him. The creature widened its stance and turned to meet its challenger head-on. Valiant lowered his head, looking like he was planning to ram it. The gryphon put out its shoulder so as to brace and Valiant jumped. The gryphon had no time to react at such close quarters.

The disguised stallion soared through the air and landed behind the gryphon, in the doorway of the home. He instantly bucked his back legs and sent the gryphon flying onto its face in the street. Valiant looked around and spotted the other half-leone home invader instantly. The gryphon was trying its best to pull open a wooden trap door set into the floor. Valiant smiled, ‘Every home in Haysburg has one of those for when the tornados come. They have three deadbolts on the inside. Pull all you want, you’re not opening that.

Valiant held the element of surprise, the gryphon hadn’t noticed him yet. He charged straight at it and threw his shoulder into its side, knocking it away and into the back wall of the first floor. The gryphon shook its head and turned to face . . . a pair of hooves. Valiant bucked, hard. The gryphon’s head flew back, smacking against the wall.

The royal blue stallion took several steps back opening the way through to the front door,
“Get out.” he ordered narrowing his eyes dangerously.

The gryphon seemed to contemplate trying to fight once more, but thought better of it and bolted through the door in a streak of drab feathers.

Valiant headed back to the entrance to the house, calling over his shoulder to the trap door,
“Stay in there! I’ll come get you when it’s all over!”

He headed outside just in time to see two gryphons come flying out of the door of the house Colossus had entered. The two creatures took to the sky screeching as they went. Looking farther down the street, Valiant saw one gryphon lying on the ground wiping its eyes. From the doorway behind it came the sounds of grunting and angry gryphon calls. Suddenly, with a puffing sound, smoke came billowing out of every window and door. Moments later, a gryphon stumbled out into the street coughing and hacking as it held onto the door frame with one claw. It coughed several more times before its partner, who had finished wiping its eyes, grabbed it and yelled something into its ear. Valiant couldn’t hear the words, but both gryphons took wing almost immediately, heading out over the swamps.

A thunderous herd of Earth ponies descended on the three houses remaining on the street, tackling every gryphon they saw. Valiant watched to see how they handled themselves. The ponies fought with plenty of zeal, but their movements were awkward and jerky. When they tried to buck, most of the time they missed. The gryphons however were obviously outnumbered and began a fighting retreat back toward the swamps. Valiant noticed one gryphon was holding a squirming brown coated colt in its grip. It tried to take off, but couldn’t seem to stabilize in the air and was quickly brought down by the residents of Haysburg. It pulled itself out of the swarming mass of ponies and took wing easily. A second gryphon came darting out of a home carrying bright red filly who hung limply in its claws. This second gryphon took to the air easily, even as Valiant charged at it, ‘That’s why the gryphons the other night couldn't gain any altitude!’ he realized, ‘The struggling motions of the fillies kept them from stabilizing so they could go higher!

The gryphon rose well above the houses and began winging its way back toward the swamps. Valiant cursed his inaction and watched helplessly as it continued rising into the air, well out of reach. A blur of custard yellow darted past him, screaming a battle cry. Valiant had only a split second to register the sight, ‘Birdie?

She soared straight into the gryphon in mid-air, beginning a fierce struggle on the wing. Valiant watched in awe as a beak, feathers, hooves, wings, and claws flew in every imaginable direction. For all intents and purposes, it looked as if the two had physically and violently merged. In a matter of seconds, the two parted. The gryphon screeched and flew off, trailing blood behind it. Birdie turned and flew back toward the mass of gathered ponies. Valiant’s eyes spotted the filly, Birdie held the young red Earth pony in her muzzle.

Birdie didn’t land though, she flew right over everypony’s head, angled toward somewhere deeper in Haysburg. Valiant ran off in the same direction. The fighting was over, but he wanted to make sure the filly was alright and he had no idea what Birdie might do with her. Birdie flapped over businesses and homes, still holding tightly to her tiny, limp burden.

Valiant’s eyes tracked her movements and directions, he could almost keep up with her. The cloaked and veiled pegasus mare landed right in front of the clinic and darted inside. Valiant was relieved but still followed out of sheer curiosity.

He entered the clinic’s doors to a scene which confused him deeply. Trauma and Birdie were both in front of the reception desk. Birdie sat on her haunches rocking back and forth, she still held the filly in her muzzle and Trauma looked decidedly unhappy. The nurse had a rolling bed beside her, indicating she wanted to put the filly on it, but Birdie still held on to her, making her inaccessible to the nurse.

Trauma was standing directly in front of Birdie,
“Set her down this instant, Birdie!” Trauma yelled.

Birdie didn’t seem to register Trauma’s presence, she just kept rocking back and forth, eyes glazed over.

“So help me, if you don’t set her down right now I’ll pry your jaws apart and take her!” Trauma yelled.

“Let me do this.” Valiant said as he approached the two mares.

Trauma looked over to him and grimaced, but stepped back.

Valiant walked up to the still rocking pegasus and stopped in front of her,
“Birdie,” he addressed calmly, “You did well in saving her from that gryphon and I know you brought her here for a reason, but Trauma can’t take a look at her while you’re holding her. You need to set her down now.”

Birdie’s eyes flickered and swung around to focus on the black clothed stallion. Valiant met her eyes and instantly understood, ‘On some level, she knows the filly’s safe, but she doesn’t trust anypony not to hurt her. This isn’t an instinctive reaction, it’s something that’s been formed over time. She wants to help, but she doesn’t know how because she’s too scared.

“Birdie,” he said again, “She’s going to be alright. Trauma just wants to make sure she’s okay. Nopony’s going to hurt her. Isn’t that right, Trauma.” he hinted to the nurse.

Trauma seemed to get the picture,
“That’s right,” she said softly, “I just want to do my job and check her out. I have to know she’s not injured, I’m not going to hurt her, Birdie.”

Birdie’s eyes fixed on the unicorn mare and narrowed, but she stopped rocking. She slowly rose to her hooves and set the filly down on the floor gently then backed away, keeping her eyes trained on Trauma. The nurse didn’t waste an instant. She darted over and levitated her onto the bed then began examining the filly, nosing her over from one side to the other gently, searching for injuries. Valiant could see the little red Earth pony was breathing softly and let out a relaxed sigh.

Trauma looked up quickly,
“Was the gryphon holding this filly in its beak?”

“No,” Valiant answered, “I saw the whole thing. She was held in its claws. As far as I saw, it never reached for her with its beak, why?”

Trauma pointed to the filly’s ribs with her horn,
“She’s got some indentations on her ribs that will probably end up bruising at least, if they’re not broken outright. She might have internal bleeding.”

Trauma lowered her head toward the filly and closed her eyes. Her horn began to glow and an aura of magic surrounded her patient as well.

After a moment, Trauma let her magic go,
“She’s not bleeding internally.” she said breathing a sigh of relief, “Wait here. I’ll go get some smelling salts to wake her up. If her parents show up don’t let them take her anywhere. I’ll be right back.”

Valiant watched Trauma walk away then turned to Birdie,
“I saw what you did to the gryphon in front of that house. You looked like you were going to kill him.”

Birdie’s eyes narrowed at Valiant and she nodded once.

“You meant to kill him?” Valiant asked, “There’s no need for that, he surrendered. Why didn’t you just let him go? Was he one of the ones who hurt you?”

Birdie shook her head.

“Birdie, you can’t hold every gryphon responsible for what happened to you, it isn’t right. Besides, they didn’t kill you. What you were planning to do would have been worse.” Valiant said.

Birdie shook her head once more.

“Are you saying it wouldn’t have been worse?” Valiant asked.

Birdie nodded.

“How would it have been better to kill him? Tell me that?” Valiant snarled, “I’ve seen death up close on two occasions, or have you forgotten? I caused both of them, maybe not intentionally, but the responsibility still falls on my shoulders! I’ve seen it, I’ve felt it! It shreds your soul, like something is tearing you apart on the inside! Do you know what that’s like?”

Birdie nodded; her eyes were full of sadness.

Valiant was taken aback,
“You’ve killed something before?”

Birdie shook her head, her eyes were watering now.

“Then how do you know?” the disguised stallion asked more calmly.

Birdie blinked as tears began spilling from her eyes; her gaze shifted to the filly lying on the bed. A glimmer of understanding struck Valiant like lightning. He dreaded the answer to his next question.

“Did . . . did you have a foal once?” he asked quietly.

Birdie shook her head and slumped to the ground weeping silently.

“I don’t understand,” Valiant admitted, “What happened?”

Birdie didn’t answer. Instead she just curled up into a little ball on the floor and continued to cry quietly.

The sound of Trauma’s hooves echoed down the hallway. Valiant turned his head toward the sound. A scrambling sound caught his attention and he whipped his head back around, following the noise. His eyes caught sight of Birdie’s cloak disappearing out of the front doors of the clinic. As she ran, he heard the her let out a chocked sob before the doors closed behind her.

Valiant instinctively turned and raised his right hoof to call out to her, but she was already gone,
“What happened to you?” he whispered.



AUTHOR’S NOTE: I truly hope the introduction of so many new characters hasn’t caused too much confusion. As always, all comments are welcome and greatly appreciated. I will try my best to honestly answer any questions that are presented to me.