• Published 6th Jan 2013
  • 455 Views, 6 Comments

A Land Without Magic - LostGuardianNexor



In the nightmare of machines that is a future Equestria, where unicorns are persecuted for their gift, the son of Twilight Sparkle must reclaim his life and country from the wicked mare behind it all.

  • ...
 6
 455

Intro

I remember back when the grass grew because the earth ponies helped it do so, and the clouds needed to be moved by pegasi. Magic? I'd probably forget unicorns altogether if I didn't have a horn jutting out of my own head.

'Magic' and 'unicorn' are seldom-used words here in modern-day Equestria, and for one reason: earth ponies think magic's an inconvenience.

Okay, let me explain a little better. My name's Comet Sparkle, I'm 17 and I'm a unicorn. My mother's the pony known throughout the old kingdom as the Element of Harmony - Twilight Sparkle. This brought a certain respect when it was learned that I too had a talent for magic, but I wasn't given any special treatment - far from it, in fact. More was expected of me than anypony else, and I always felt like I had inconvenienced my mother despite her affections.

When I was five, there was an event that shook all of Equestria - an event known as the Fall of Celestia, and to us unicorns as the Death of Harmony. A massive explosion ruptured the foundation that held up Canterlot, forcing the royal princesses to use their own magic to keep the kingdom from tumbling down the mountainside. During this moment of weakness, a pony known to us today as Motherboard stormed the castle with a small army of robotic ponies called Ironsides.

Motherboard and her group of mechanical minutemen captured the princesses and locked them away, far from ponykind's eyes and reach. Canterlot fell to ruin, and in the confusion, Motherboard herself claimed the throne.

The evil mare began to spew lies about magic, saying it oppressed those without it and ridiculed the unicorns for making earth ponies and pegasi feel obsolete. The people rallied behind her cries like moths to a flame, and soon unicorns were dragged out of their homes, young and old, and placed in prisons. Their horns were broken off and covered with a metal cap built to block magic energy, and they would be sentenced to live there forever. Children no older than I was, foals even, placed in cages just because they were born with magic. Even my mother was taken in those times, leaving me with only my father and my uncle Spike.

My father kept me hidden from Motherboard, forcing me to grow my mane over my horn so I could claim to be an earth pony just like him. The Ironsides were fooled by the ploy, and ponies who knew my mother and me swore to secrecy.

Six years after her takeover, the land had become a technological nightmare. Ponies more machine than mare roam the street and infest bars, and stallions stand in mile-long lines to see glorious concerts sung by android superstars like P!nkie Pi. Ironsides watch from everywhere, having outgrown their clunky steel shells to look just like us. Spies wait ever-ready to sell out unicorns in hiding, and the toxins in the air have grown so potent as to kill ponies over time.

I'd now this personally. My father passed away three years ago from lungrot, like many in Ponyville dying slowly from the poisonous air. Some of us have the bits to purchase re-breathers to keep their lungs from dissolving while the rest of us have to deal with the feeling of glass shards in our chest. Life's rough here, and nopony's going to do anything to change it. Nopony except us.

I'm a member of the Rebellion, an order of ponies who are through with being enslaved by the machines that surround us. Many of us are the children and friends of those taken, hoping desperately to free our loved ones and find them still alive. I hope my mother's okay, and I'm willing to do anything it takes to see her again.

Luckily, I'm not the only one who feels the pain. My best friends have all lost somepony, our bond similar to that of our parents, three of the six Elements of Harmony. Glow Stick, a friend of mine before Motherboard's rise, is the adopted daughter of my aunt Rainbow Dash and her partner Vinyl Scratch. She lost a mother in this ordeal too, so we share a similar feeling of empathy towards each other. Tool Belt and Copper, twin sons of my aunt Applejack and her husband Flim, lost their little sister Gadget and their father during the raids. Their mechanical skills makes them valuable to our cause.

We are all colts and fillies missing pieces of our lives thanks to that vile mare, and we scramble from the steel hoof of her tyranny to pick up the pieces of a long-lost Equestria.

My name is Comet Sparkle. This is my story.

Author's Note:

My Little Pony belongs to Hasbro.

--

Hurray, intro! I hope you enjoyed this, the rest is coming soon.