• Published 3rd Jan 2013
  • 2,247 Views, 38 Comments

Pen Pals - Zoom zoom



2nd Person story starring You and Fluttershy stuck in Froggy Bottom Bog during a monster's hunt. Edited to Teen since I accidentally put in stuff that may be objectionable, but is more likely Everyone

  • ...
10
 38
 2,247

Stone

Dear Fluttershy,

Sorry but I think I need to vent a bit on you this time. Life’s been pretty hard on me lately. I was actually surprised you remembered last week was my birthday and sent over that wonderful cake. It really was the only thing I could enjoy about the day since my mother was mad at me for not coming home to see her and the rest of the family for it. Heck she even guessed right that I’m going to be working through next month to avoid being home for my dad’s birthday too.

She really just doesn’t get it does she? I’ve been working all this time to support the family since dad isn’t around anymore, and she wants me to be reminded he’s gone? I mean geez it took forever just to convince my sister it wasn’t her fault he died. As if you can die from caring for your family too much. Granted she is a, well never mind that. I mean is really shouldn’t make a difference really so I won’t go ranting on that too now.

I guess I just don’t understand her anymore is all. If it wasn’t for my cousin giving me my first job at the time I think we would have starved, and she wants me to remember all that for an entire day? Saying stuff about how I need to just let go and cry about it for once? Well I know you may agree with her but crying isn’t going to keep bread on the table. I’m already over dad, and I want them to be too and to stop trying to bring it up with me. Lucky for me this new apple bucking job is letting me get rid of my stress from all this physically, but I just had to get rid of it all mentally too.

Sorry if this letter showed a side of me you don’t like. But I just couldn’t find anypony else to talk to that wouldn’t just tell my mom what I said and get me another lecture. I can at least trust to where even if you agree with her you won’t try writing too her and I thank you for that.

Hoping to be in a better mood next time,

Blue

Frozen. None of your limbs would listen to you. You cried out to them mentally to move. Everything in your being was telling you to run, nothing, not a twitch from any of your legs. Only your mind seemed to be moving at that moment as not even the great creature in front of you seemed to move. It was just as immobile as you were, but for a very different reason.

Finally after what seem like an eon, the creature before you seemed to have a smile crawl on its stony face. It opened its maw, which your brain also registered was large enough take your head and most of your torso in one bite, no chewing. The breath of the creature was visible, the red cloud gliding for you through the faint light in your horn. The slowly rubble in its throat was made even more gravelly by the rattling pebbles it was made out of. The maw grew ever closer and your legs still did nothing.

That was when a lot happened at the same time. First you heard a snap as a yellow and pink streak rushed the Mountain Lion’s head with such force it popped right off its neck. The red mist of the breath seemed to go away as you felt yourself get lifted off your hooves. Only when your senses fully returned did you notice the streak was Fluttershy, only with a pained expression on her face as the two of you slide on the mossy floor.

By the time you could look down at Fluttershy, she was shivering. You dared a glance at her wing. It wasn’t bleeding but it looked like a total mess. It must have cushioned her ramming into the lion and she had broken her wing now. It was even more pressing that you get your first aid kit now since unlike everything else that would likely just make her sick, this would outright kill her if you didn’t at least set the bone soon. The cold and pain in her wing were all trying to force Fluttershy to fall asleep. This wasn’t good. If she was unconscious for too long who knows how long it would take for her to come out of it. Let alone if she’d come out of it at all. She was fighting back the urge though. It was in her face. She was repeating the same line again and again in a small tone to keep herself awake. The rain hitting the bog surface around you it making it hard to hear but you can just make it out with your faces been so close together. “Have to protect him.”

You had only felt this scared for somepony else once before. It was the day you thought you sister had been sentenced to death. Guards had taken her while you were away. They had found out what she was and had taken her and brought you in for questioning. It had cost you your job, but that didn’t matter. If it wasn’t for Princess Cadence’s order, Bloo would likely have been gone forever, and you’d have gotten far worse than a night in jail and the hospital following that.

Fluttershy still just repeats stuff again, but this time you picked up the other line, “Can’t let him hurt it.” Well that solved everything. Your eyebrow twitched in anger a bit as you suddenly were no longer afraid of what was going to happen with that lion. Heck until now you forgot it was even there because of this mare.

There we go,” you think struggling to slip out from under the mare. She was heavier than you thought, but soon enough she was safely placed while you stood in a way to protect her from the beast. “Here I was thinking she was worried about me for a second. Then again it makes far more sense that you came to make sure the lion wasn’t hurt since it is in a place it shouldn’t be.” You’d almost feel sorry for the thing, if it didn’t just try to eat you. Before turning your attention completely back to the creature, since you know what the issue was now, you lowered your head and whispered what little comfort you could. “I won’t hurt it, well not much. Stay focused on staying awake until I get you all patched up.”

Your limp light of a horn was allowing you to still see the box behind the body of the large Mountain Lion. You even got to see as its head reformed out of other parts of its body. A set of stones shifted off it’s back and limbs to make a head, leaving the body a bit thinner but still very sturdy overall. It looked back at you with a certain face that was more focused on Fluttershy than it was you. And you braced yourself for what you needed to do.

In your time being pen pals, Fluttershy had explained some of her favorite animals and some she was sort of afraid up. However one she seemed really interest in since you traveled and she never saw any was in fact the Mountain Lion. The only read difference besides their usually more docile nature compared to its magical sister the Timber Wolf, was the fact that it couldn’t replace lost stones of itself as fast. It needed heavy amounts of energy and thus usually only could do so once a year or so to repair the damage it normally took and grow bigger till it was too old to do so and then aged like any other creature.

Fluttershy had been mixed on this because she wanted to meet some, but she claimed how it would take too much time away from the animals that needed her care as Mountain Lions were also known to eat any other creature it came across that was made of flesh. That is until you met one a few years back.

True you didn’t take to terrain that would have them, but one who travels cannot avoid mountains for too long and the lions were always going to keep to paths a bit. Lucky for you, you had guides and learned a lot from them as you traveled to the point. One of which was that Mountain Lions had a respect and honor code that kept it from eating food that it thought beat them. You only didn’t decide to take a guide job despite this because, much like being a full on prison guard, it required much more skill in the craft if you had to help others besides yourself constantly. You didn’t have the ability to get such muscle or magic needed to best every Lion in the mountain.

You were not sure how the Lion felt but you knew at least one thing: you had not bested it. Meaning even if it somehow wasn’t mad at Fluttershy, which any normal creature would be so you couldn’t rule it out, you were still fair food. Also there was the fact even if she was likely going for you and only hit the lion by accident; she had hit it from behind. Most honor codes said that was a no-no where you read up on them. Either way you’d be facing this thing down now.

Taking a deep breath and with a new resolve you stared down into the beasts own eyes. Your body was starting to strain again. Sure your training had made you as powerful as a normal earth pony, but that was an untrained average one at best. Any normal pony earth or not was not going to be able to stand the cold, the strain on muscle and the fact you still had not rested enough from drowning. Something was going to give soon but you couldn’t give up just yet. You had a friend to protect first and foremost. And you were not about to go down here after everything that happened.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the much longer wait on a shorter chapter here.

and please feel free to tell me about any mistakes.

I've been working every day lately and the first part of this was so bad I had to rewrite it from scratch so it ended up shorter than I planned to have it since I wanted to have the fight in it too as well as a reply letter from Fluttershy as a back and forth thing.

In the end it seemed better to save that for a final chapter and have the reply be in the next chapter instead along with the way things go.

Hope you do enjoy what I could put out here even though I'm not sure it is as good as the last few chapters and see you guys next chapter.