• Published 2nd Jan 2013
  • 1,175 Views, 15 Comments

Everfree Courier - DVAN56



A guy gets sucked into Equestria to do the biding of the Everfree Forest.

  • ...
6
 15
 1,175

Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

“Welcome to Equestria” Fang said.

We reached the forest edge that morning. The sight of the lands beyond stunned me for a moment. It was a battlefield, one giant battlefield from here to the mountain. I could see the shield around the mountain being hit by something. Small explosions could be seen flashing upon it.

The sky is what really grabbed my attention however. I was looking up between the sky over the Everfree and the sky over Equestria. I wasn't believing what I was seeing but then again I’ve already seen a bunch of unbelievable stuff so far. The sky over Equestria was almost like stagnant water, still and unhealthy. It was as if the forces of nature did not work beyond the forest.

“There is a ruin up ahead, you will sleep there. Day travel will get you killed and you look like you need a rest.” Fang said.

“What about you?” I asked

“Don't need it. One of the perks of being a Timberwolf is we don't need sleep and we don't tire.”

As we entered the ruined town the devastation was clear. The roads were broken, the buildings collapsed in on themselves, all of them had burn marks on them. There were no bodies however, not even a skeleton.

“What happened here?” I asked aloud not even realizing it.

“The Invadors, they loot, destroy, capture. They eat the fallen and save the captured for a later meal. Then they take what they can to fuel their destruction, anything left they burn.” Fang replied, for the first time an emotion other then annoyance or anger was in his voice. It was sadness. I couldn't help but feel a little sad for a moment.

There was one building that was still standing that would serve for the most part as a shelter. It looked more like a dead tree then anything. It was the inside that surprised me though. It was bigger on the inside. I doubled back outside to make sure I wasn't just going crazy......er.

The inside was a mess. Half burnt books littered the floor, stairs to the upstairs were broken, and the walls where scorched. Based on the busted tables and shelves I was sure that this place was once a library.

How was this building still standing. It was a tree filled with books, it should have burned all they way down for crying out loud. I soon no longer cared as I sat down in a corner of the room ready to go to sleep.

Thoughts of why I was here started coming back to me and I pulled out the stone egg to stare at it. What was it really? Why did that forest entity need me to deliver it? How am I even going to survive this trip? What was with that vision at the castle ruin? Just too many questions going through my head.

I ended up falling asleep with the stone in my hand, and awoke in the late afternoon. Fang was watching out the windows making sure noting was moving. He gave a nod signaling it was safe and we went to leave. We got to the door when we heard a sound coming from below.

Both Fang and I froze at the sound. Loud thumps coming up from below us. They started getting louder and moving up-words as if on stairs. Our heads moved, following it. Fang quickly bumped me and we left the library with haste.

He lead my through the town and we eventually came to a railroad. I was honestly surprised to see a railroad, everything up till now had looked medieval at best. Parts of the track were missing but the path it followed was clear.

“This is the quickest way to Cantorlot. Should only take three to four -” Fang was cut off by the sounds of foot steps approaching.

We turned back to look into the town. Again what I saw could only be a creature of myth. A small humanoid with greenish skin, a goblin. There were several of them and they where closing in on us fast.

Not going to lie I was scared. Seeing the creature as a myth and seeing it in reality was different. They were fast and it was plain as day that they had murder on their mind. I instinctively ran and hid in a building that I could only assume was the train station.

I never looked to see how Fang was doing in that fight. I could here the skirmish clearly though. The sound of Fang's claws and teeth ripping his attackers apart. The goblins blood curdiling screeches of terror as they fell chilled me to the bone.

One of the goblins must of noticed I fled into the building. It was coming upon me and by the time I noticed there was nothing I could do to stop it.

In a matter of seconds it leaped to pounce me, its clawed hands ready to tear into me. Just a moment before it made impact I was spared A large clawed hand swatted the goblin away with little to no effort. Severing the goblin in two in the process as well.

This new creature in front of me was big, easily twice my size. It was a lizard of some sort, bipedal as well. Its scales were purple in color, and green spikes running down his back from the top of his head all the way down to his tail.

I was shocked, and scared. Moments right before getting attacked, saved by a more horrifying looking creature. “They eat the fallen and save the captured for later” Fang's words echoed in my head. It was going to eat me, I knew it. I was too scared to move. I closed my eyes waiting for the end.

The end never came though. After a few moments of silence I opened my eyes. The lizard monster was still there. It had a very confused look on its face as it spoke. It even tilted its head.

“What are you?”