• Published 30th Dec 2012
  • 831 Views, 30 Comments

One Winter Night - Cloud Quake



Short and sweet romance story between Rainbow Dash and a random character.

  • ...
0
 30
 831

One Winter Night

It was a chilly winters night on a rural road winding through the outskirts of Ponyville, the town I have called home for a year or so now. I look to my right and see the mare I'm walking home who just so happened to be a good friend of mine. Rainbow Dash had invited me to a party with her friends who I haven't had much of a chance to get acquainted with and to be honest still didn't know too well afterwards. There was the mare that owned the library, Twilight, the hyperactive one whose name was Pinkie something, the fashion designer Rarity who tried to insist I buy some outrageously high priced item from her shop, and a few others. I had heard a few ponies around town call them unforgettable but the only one I found truly unforgettable was Dash.

As we walk in silence I let my mind wander off to memories of my second day of moving various items into my newly bought house, well, it was probably more of a shack at the time of purchase but that's not the point. I was moving a box containing some books of mine to go on the bookshelf in the bedroom. There was literally no warning as something, or somepony as I would later find out, crashed into the box, sending it flying off my back and into some nearby shrubbery along with whoever it was that had crashed into me at such high speeds. She quickly picked herself up afterwards and went to apologize.

"Hey, really sorry about your books, thought I would have been able to pull up in time to make it over you."

Being a pegasus myself I wasn't the most amazing flyer, but I knew enough from the scenario that she probably wouldn't have made it over me regardless.

"It's not too big of a deal, just help me get these books organized again and we can both keep going on with our days."

She nodded and began to help me stack books back in the box. After a few seconds I could tell an old adventure novel of mine had caught her eye.

"You can borrow that book if you'd like, if you enjoy it enough the first time I might even let you keep it."

"Thanks, but I don't think we've even exchanged names yet, I'm Rainbow Dash, and you are?"

"Cloud Quake, just getting finished up moving in if you couldn't already tell."

At this point we had finished packing up the scattered books and I put the box back on my back.

"I'll see you around and get your book back to you as soon as I finish it."

She quickly took off with the book in hoof before much more could be said. Over the coming days I would find our daily lives crossed paths more than a couple of times. We would stop and chat for a few minutes while on our way to wherever it was we were going at the time, I would ask her how the book was and so on and afterwards we'd continue on with our day until our paths inevitably crossed again. About a week after our first encounter with each other she came flying up to me at a spot where we both knew we'd run into each other telling me about how she'd finished the book and how good it was. At this point I let her keep it since she would clearly get more use out of it then I would. To this day I can't remember the name of that book for the life of me.....

I'm pulled out of my thoughts by the noticeable shivering of Rainbow Dash as she walks beside me. I extend one of my wings uncertainly and put it around her. She walks a bit closer to me and smiles in appreciation as I do so.

"So did you enjoy the party? I hope you got to know my friends a bit better."

I chuckle. "To be honest I don't think I know them much better than I did the first week I was here."

She laughs softly back with me. "They really stick to you once you get to know them though."

"Well at least you've stuck to me as I got to know you over this past year."

She blushes a bit. "Well that might not be the case if I hadn't smashed into those books of yours the day you moved here."

I smile. "I'm glad I got to help you find the book you enjoyed so much though."

"You know I still keep that book in a very special place on my shelf."

"Really, why?"

"Well besides the fact that it's a great book it was given to me by a certain stallion I find very special."

I start blushing at this point too. "A lot has changed between us over the past year, us seeing each other multiple times a day and all, but do you really feel the way I think you do about me?"

She looks at me with a serious yet slightly embarrassed expression. "Well, I guess I kind of do. You've shown me quite a bit this past year, and maybe one of the reasons I stuck to you is something you didn't know about at the time. So I guess the point I'm trying to get across is that, well, I love you..."

I stop walking and look at her while smiling. "You know what Dash, I love you too. I just wish I could remember the title of that book I gave you that most likely started all this."

"To be completely honest with you I wouldn't remember it unless I looked at the book closer, I just kept it in that special spot on my shelf to remind me of you."

I smile and wrap my wing more tightly around her as she walks right up against me while I continue to walk her home on this one winter night.