• Published 26th Jan 2013
  • 1,066 Views, 11 Comments

The Alicorn: Skyla's Beginnings - magicalmoonbeam1710



A prologue in a story of Epic proportions.

  • ...
15
 11
 1,066

A Story Begins

I stood straight; trying to look strong. Taking into consideration that I had been walking for 4 days without food or rest, I bet I'm the strongest filly in all of Equestria!
But none of that mattered now. I was far away from Equestria; I was in the Valley of the Changelings. Finally, Queen Chrysalis and her son Prince Charger took their seat on the cold stone throne. The throne room was cold with grey stone walls, old stained glass windows and the old grey stone throne. Not very interesting to me.
It was very different than the life I had been living last year, but I was no longer there. The booming voice of Queen Chrysalis shook my very innards.
She yelled "Why is the princess of all ponies here? Do you want us to believe that this small filly is the princess known as Skylee?"
I tried to respond but collapsed and cried "I am the fourth Alicorn princess of Equestria! My name is Skyla, not Skylee, and I know not why I am here! If you would please listen to my story, the story of how I came to be in this place!”
I looked around the best I could, (since I had collapsed and no one seemed to even notice) no one said anything in reply and so I began to remember.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was born in the east wing of Canterlot Castle on the first day of the year. I received gifts from each of the Alicorns: from Celestia, The power of the sun, from Luna, the power of the moon, and from my mother: immense love! The gifts were enough to help me in my life, but not enough to control any of these things.
From the moment I was born, I was supposed to be the best. I was an Alicorn, but I had the strongest of all wings, the wings of my great aunt Celestia and supposedly, a greater knack for magic than my aunt, Twilight.


I lived in Canterlot for over half of my life with my father, mother, and brother Dueling Blades. He was a very powerful unicorn and talented swordsman, his cutie mark was two crossing swords.
Back then, all I really cared about was finding out who I was, like all fillies do. I made it my mission to become the best at everything, to be the greatest pony ever. The best flier and magician, all in hopes of getting my cutie mark; hopefully one that would prove to my mother..... I mean, prove to myself that I was special.
Once, when he was practicing his skill, he saw me looking at him. "Skyla!" he called "What’s the urgency?"
It took me a few moments to ask what I had come for, "Do you think you might be able to help me learn some magic big brother?”
I closed my eyes and hopefully waited for the answer. He replied, "Of course Skyla, anything for my little sis" He grabbed me and gave me a huge hug.
A few minutes after finding my brother, I went to find my aunt Celestia. I was determined to learn to both fly and learn magic so I could get my cutie mark; start learning to rule Equestria, and help all of my subjects the way my cutie mark told me.
I found her on her throne with guards surrounding her, she was writing a letter, to Aunt Twilight I supposed. She looked up and welcomed me warmly, after I stood for a moment, she asked me what I wanted.
I said, "PLEASE teach me how to fly! You are the only one with the same wings and I don’t even know how to flutter like Pegasus fillies!" I was not young at that time. Winter had been wrapped up 8 times since I was born, soon to be nine.

She looked on with a face in mid laugh and called out, "Guards, check the calendar and put down a flight lesson for the next open spot."

My eyes were huge! It seemed all my wishes come true. I supposed I could find any earth pony to teach me how to grow things, and that meant I was almost a full Alicorn! I knew that was not the only thing an Earth pony could teach me, but that’s all I needed at that time.
I dashed out the door to prepare all I thought I needed to help me at the class.

But then, I ran into my mother, Cadance. She eyed me angrily; she was always like this. I had heard from others that she had once been the princess of love, a kind and caring mare beloved by all. Aunt Twilight used to say that she changed when my father died. Now she was a callous, unfeeling creature who was determined to make my life miserable.

"Oh where is the little filly of Canterlot going now?" she lashed in a voice I can’t begin to describe. I cowered down while she made her pass by. She turned back and threw me a snarl. I cringed and she said "You may not leave to see Celestia without my knowledge!"
She had changed after my father died defending us. ‘Brave to the end,’ that’s what I always heard about him. I was not old enough to remember anything about him.