• Published 29th Dec 2012
  • 638 Views, 6 Comments

Once Upon a Time in Applaloosa - Pony Bones

  • ...
 6
 638

The Good Son

Sand Blast was so excited he thought he might explode right there on his porch, it had been three months since his last visit with his family but with how busy he’d been lately it felt a lot longer. They were busy themselves as charter members of the Royal Astronomers Society and Sand Blast always looked forward to their visits.

By now everypony in Appaloosa knew about his “shadow” not that they were afraid of Sand Blast for it, they just didn’t know what to do about it. He just wished that they would treat him normally like they used to, now if only he could shut Crazy Wing up long enough to have a normal conversation it might not be so bad.

Pacing impatiently he went over the list of preparations again in his head, he had switched out the clouds in the guest room, living room, and master bedroom, they were getting musty, he had laid out the cloud cots on the roof for himself and his siblings while his parents got his room. He had done the grocery shopping and was ready to feed the Canterlot garrison for a month, he had taken out his trash, washed the dishes…

“Hey how long are you going to avoid the fact that your just staying busy to deny the fact you can’t let me go?” His thoughts were interrupted by his ghostly company, at least he had somepony to talk to and take his mind of waiting for his family.

Ever since Mirage had left for Sweet Apple Acres and Tumble Weed had moved North to Bumpkin Orchards just outside of Seapple Sand Blast felt like he was alone on the Dusty Bolts. Sure Silver Lining and Filly the Kid were still on the team but there was nopony he could talk stallion stuff except for Crazy Wing.

“Crazy Wing if you’re trying to tell me something why can’t you tell it to me straight so I can understand, I told you before I’m fine, I got over your death.”

“Then how come you haven’t gone to visit Fluttershy since she came up for my funeral?”

Sand Blast felt a stab of guilt, his relationship with Fluttershy had really died off, he still wrote her but even his letters were getting less frequent. “The Dusty Bolts really need me right now.”

Crazy Wing sighed and shook his head, “Sand Blast you’re a good pegasus, too good, you need to start thinking about yourself. You always told Mirage how good it was to see him with Applejack, well what about you, when are you going to get yours?”

“It can’t take that much longer, I just need to stick around until High Roller can figure out which way is up. Mirage really dumped his saddle on the poor colt.”

Crazy Wing replied dismally, “Yeah I guess so, just don’t lose Fluttershy Sand Blast you’ll regret it for the rest of your life, maybe even longer.”

Lately Crazy Wing had looked more tired even than Sand Blast he was starting to get the glazed look in his eye, “Crazy Wing why don’t you just rest in peace like you’re supposed to?”

Sand Blast had never seen Crazy Wing snap at anypony in his mortal life but now he barked at him in a way that sounded eerily like Mirage, “I will not! Not until you are at peace, I owe it to you, you owe it to yourself.”

Sand Blast sighed, what was the point in arguing with a ghost? It wasn’t like he could outlive the argument; he just wasn’t ready to admit he hadn’t gotten over Crazy Wing’s death.

Crazy Wing had brought up Fluttershy and for some reason Sand Blast missed her horribly after hearing it from his dead friend. Crazy Wing was right he had not done very well with Fluttershy at all, he would have plenty of catching up to do next time he saw her. He’d have to ask High Roller for some time off so he could go see her, wait no, he couldn’t, High Roller still depended on him.

What the hay was that noise? “SAAAANNNND BLLLLLLAAAAAASSSSSST!” Whoops incoming, brace for impact.

“Ooff!” It was good to see his brother hadn’t lost any of his enthusiasm, catching his breath Sand Blast returned his little brother’s hug, “Good to see you too Orion, Mom, Dad, Aurora.”

His brother had sprouted at least a hand and a half since Sand Blast had last seen him, he still wasn’t as tall as Sand Blast yet but he was still taller than most pegasi. He wasn’t built like Sand Blast either he was cut and leaner than Sand Blast had remembered, “Who are you and what did you do with Orion? You’re not a changeling are you; I heard there was an invasion at Canterlot.”

Orion rolled his eyes, “You gotta be pulling my wing bro, I thought you heard I went to Junior Speedsters Camp.”

Picking up his family’s bags and carrying them into the living room he replied, “How could I not hear about it? You were only the fastest in the class. Please make yourselves at home, the fridge is stocked so help yourselves whenever you feel hungry.”

“It’s good to see you again.” Andromeda said hugging her son,

“I missed you all.” Sand Blast said hugging her back, life was perfect.

“Can we go out and see the town?” Aurora said crow hopping with anticipation,

“It hasn’t changed much since the last time you were here, we have a cemetery now.”

That took all the wind out of his sister’s wings as his Dad Star Lifter gave him a worried look, “How are you doing after losing Crazy Wing?”

“I’ve gotten over it, the Dusty Bolts have really looked after me.”

His Dad gave him the, we’ll talk about this later look, dang it and Sand Blast had been working on his everything is fine face. It worked on the Dusty Bolts which wasn’t saying much.

“Ooh, ooh, I have something to tell you!” Orion said cantering in place,

“You can tell him at your coming of age party tonight, speaking of which what did you have in mind?” Star Lifter asked.

“Nothing too crazy I was just going to take him down to the Salt Lick for some cider you know start a couple hoof fights, pick up some mares, and go swinging from the chandeliers exactly in that order.”

Star Lifter raised an eyebrow before he picked up on the sarcasm, “Heh heh, Sand Blast I think you’ve been in the desert too long your sense of humor got warped.”

“Yeah, how are things at home?” Sand Blast asked deciding to change the subject.

“Dad’s building a new telescope on Ponyville Peak!” his little sister Aurora blurted excitedly.

“That sounds like a lot of fun, if I get the chance I’ll have to help you out.”

“We could use your help, since the return of Princess Luna the Royal Astronomer’s Society has been flooded with work, this telescope is going to be the biggest in Equestria.”

Life was moving on at home without him, and he wanted to be a part of it but he couldn’t give up the life he had made for himself. Maybe just maybe once High Roller had his hooves on the ground he could move to Ponyville help out with the telescope and patch things up with Fluttershy.

The afternoon was spent getting his family settled in and then showing them the additions that had been made to the town since they had been there last, which as he had said wasn’t much just the cemetery. Sand Blast was thankful that Crazy Wing respected the time with his family, probably because he knew they’d give him a harder time about letting his death go.

Finally the time came to take Orion out for a night on the town, Sand Blast had been looking forward to this for weeks and he wanted to know what his brother had tried to tell him earlier.

Flying down to Appaloosa Orion was bouncing off the walls like a colt on a sugar rush. He talked nonstop about his time at junior speedsters camp and how he had bragged to all the other pegasi there about his Dusty Bolt brother.

Sand Blast had been away from his family for so long he forgot how good it felt to have his little brother look up to him. Being the firstborn came with a responsibility he had long ago resigned himself to, at least his brother still admired him for what he did.

Once Sand Blast, Orion, and their Dad had sat down at the bar and had cold mugs of draft cider in their hooves Sand Blast asked, “Alright what did you want to tell me earlier?”

Orion shot gunned his first mug, upended it over his head to show that he had drained it, and belched so Sand Blast added, “If you don’t slow down you’re going to pass out, we got all night might as well take the time to enjoy it.”

Orion was already slurring as he answered, “Who’ssss commmmming of ageeeeee is thisssssss? Ohhh yeaaaaahhh IIII en- urp, excusssse me, enlisssted in the Nnnnight Guaaaard.”

Sand Blast could feel his eyes crossing, “What?”

Sitting as straight as he could his brother tried to focus through the booze, “I enlisted in the Night Guard.” He said with surprising sobriety.

Sand Blast wasn’t sure what to think, legally his brother was old enough to make his own decisions after today and Sand Blast knew he’d be fine as a Night Guard. It was just the minor fact that his brother would be putting his life on the line on a daily basis, Sand Blast waved down the bartender, “Bourbon, we need four horses over here.”

Bourbon eyed Sand Blast nervously, “Are you sure, you’ve never had one before. They hit harder than you think.”

“I’ll look after them.” Star Lifter sighed rolling his eyes, “Who was the one that said, ‘we got all night might as well take the time to enjoy it’?”

Sand Blast watched the bartender with growing concern as he put up his bandana and mixed an unhealthy amount of Rainbow Rum, Tequila, Vodka, Gin, and a hot sauce that the Bison called sky fire. “I don’t know the next time I’m going to see my little brother, might as well make the most of our time. Before we start just so I can remember tomorrow, what’s your occupational specialty?”

“Airrrr Bornnneee Reconnnaissssanccceee P-P-Pony.”

Great his brother had just enlisted into the most dangerous job in the Guard, Night Guard Airborne Reconnaissance’s job consisted of getting as far behind enemy lines as possible look for weaknesses and then soften them up for the main force to come in, their casualty rate was higher than the Dusty Bolts.

Burbon put the eight toxic looking shots in front of the brothers, standing on top of the bar Sand Blast raised his glass, “Attention everypony, my brother just enlisted in the Night Guard, I propose a toast! May the stars shine brightly on you and your squadron and may Celestia have mercy on your enemies because I know you won’t!”

This drew a raucous cheer from the Appaloosans and as one they raised their glasses and mugs shouting, “Celestia have mercy!”

Downing the glass two things happened simultaneously, Sand Blast’s mouth and throat burst into flames as if he had just tried to eat a live phoenix, secondly the room spun underneath him in a way his pegasus reflexes couldn’t control. It might have been a good night after that, Sand Blast really couldn’t remember, he did remember a lot of singing and laughing before he fell asleep.

Author's Note:

Don't try this at home kids.