• Published 29th Dec 2012
  • 506 Views, 34 Comments

Bells and Keys - ComradeCthulhu



Twilight accidentally transports the mane six to a version of Earth in another dimension. There they befriend two soldiers who agree to help them get home.

  • ...
 34
 506

Barhedrin

(A small island in the middle of the River Ratterlin, The Old Kingdom)

“I’m bored.” complained Rainbow Dash for the third time that night. She immediately ducked as a rock flew over her head. “What was that for!?” Hayes poked his head out of his sleeping bag.

“Maybe if you could shut up for a few hours, I wouldn’t be so cranky.”

“You’re always cranky.” Another rock zipped by. “Stop it!” Then another voice came from off to Rainbow’s right.

“If you two keep arguing, no pony’s going to be able to sleep!” yelled Twilight.

“We need to finalize the plan anyway. Why don’t we do that?” said Ivan. Hayes sighed, got up, and pulled the book out of his pack. He turned the pages until he found the map of the Old Kingdom.

“We want to get to the Clayr’s Glacier. They can use the Sight to find out how to get you ponies home to Equestria, or whatever it’s called.” He said, pointing at a spot on the map. “Then we just have to do whatever it is that they See. Hey Pinkie, are you even paying attention to my genius plan?” Everyone turned around and saw Pinkie staring out across the water.

“I think I can see something in the trees!” she said. Twilight moved to the edge of the island and looked as well.

“I think I can see something as well. Rainbow, can you fly over and take a look?”

“I’ll be back with information in ten seconds flat!” said Rainbow, just before she zoomed off across the river. Hayes looked at Ivan and rolled his eyes.

“What is it with her and ten seconds flat?” he asked.

“What are you so grumpy about?” asked Rarity. Hayes paused to re-light the fire with a quick Charter spell.

“I don’t know. There’s just something about camping on a freezing, desolate island in the middle of nowhere with seven other people, all of who have ways of getting on your nerves, that just does that to a person. And the island is pretty small for sharing.” He gestured at the campsite. Looking around, the others could see what he meant. The sleeping rolls weren’t that far apart, and after that it was only a few yards to the river. Just then, Rainbow can flying back across the river, looking almost a little scared.

“There are lots of those Dead guys across the river!” she said apprehensively. Hayes cursed and grabbed his weapons. Ivan and the ponies did the same.

“They can’t cross running water, so we should be safe. Right, just in case something happens I’m going to rig a diamond of protection. Everyone else get ready.” He began to draw marks in the sand with his sword. Everyone else formed a circle around him with their weapons drawn. Hayes finished the last mark as the first Dead became visible across the river. He spoke a word, and the diamond filled with golden light.

“Don’t touch the edges, or the diamond will break!” he warned the rest. Ivan, who was trained to be calm under pressure, just gulped and nodded. The ponies just looked like they wanted to throw up. Rainbow and Fluttershy spiraled in the air. Pinkie squinted as she tried to see what the Dead Hands were up to. She saw them struggling to move several large rocks into the river. Then with a start, she realized what they were doing.

“They’re trying to block the river!” she cried. Hayes and Ivan turned to where she was looking, and both cursed under their breath. Rainbow and Fluttershy both drew arrows and knocked them to their bowstrings.

“Don’t shoot. Even an arrow will break the diamond!” Hayes warned a second too late. Fluttershy had already loosed the arrow. As it connected with the place where the diamond ended there was a bright flash, a shattering sound, and then quiet. Twilight rubbed her eyes and saw the Hands placing the final rock in their dam. As the first one began to cross she fired a purple jet of light at it. The blast threw the Hand into the water. It screamed and went under. The other Dead backed off a little. A good thing for them too, as a second later Hayes threw a bold of Charter Magic at the dam, blasting several of the stones into dust.

“Well, I don’ thank anypony will be sleepin’ after that.” said Applejack, sheathing her sword. She was right. The group stayed awake and on guard for the rest of the night. In the morning they packed up their gear and continued on their way. After a few hours, they stopped at a fork in the road. Hayes dug through his pack and removed the Almanac.

“The map doesn’t have anything on it that remotely resembles a fork.” he said apprehensively.

“What should we do now?” asked Twilight. The group sat and thought for a few minutes. Then Rainbow sprang up.

“Why don’t I go scout around? I’ll find out where each road goes, and then we can decide which one to take!” she said. Ivan nodded. Hayes looked at the Almanac again.

“Just be careful. I’m pretty sure one of these goes to Barhedrin.” he said once he looked up. Rainbow saluted and flew off.

“Well,” said Ivan, “we might as well sit down while we wait.” Several more hours passed, and the group began to worry.

“She should have been back by now!” exclaimed Twilight. Ivan consulted his watch. Hayes raised his eyebrows at him.

“And you’re doing that why?” he asked. Ivan sighed.

“Of course. My watch doesn’t work because we’re in the Old Kingdom.” he said. He looked up at the sun instead. It was well past noon. “We should probably go looking for her. For all we know she wandered right up to Barhedrin.” The group packed up their gear and stood up.

“Of course, we have no idea which way she went.” said Rarity sarcastically.

“Then we just go both ways!” said Twilight, “We just need to divide into two groups.”

“Ok, so we have seven people, or ponies, whichever you are, so how about one group of three and one group of four.” muttered Hayes, “Right, Fluttershy, Twilight, and Pinkie go with Ivan. Rarity and Applejack, you’re with me.” The two groups set off down the two roads. Eventually, they both came to a place where the roads joined again.

“Well, that crossroads seems kind of pointless now…” said Fluttershy quietly.

“That was really anticlimactic.” agreed Pinkie.

“And this definitely goes to Barhedrin.” said Hayes. Ivan drew his pistol.

“Right. So judging by this Rainbow’s been captured and we should go help her? Correct?”

“Of course your right! Friends always help each other!” said Pinkie exuberantly. Hayes sighed and muttered something about insomnia, then began to walk down the road. After about a half-hour, they spotted a large tower. Hayes motioned for them to move into the trees while pulling out a pair of binoculars.

“Do you just keep everything imaginable in your bag!?” exclaimed Rarity.

“Who doesn’t?” He noticed Applejack and Pinkie holding their swords in their mouths, “Have you two been doing that this whole time?” They nodded.

“Hey, look what’s happening in the guard’s front yard!” said Ivan, pointing to the grass in front of the tower. Rainbow was talking to another pony, a grey Pegasus with blonde hair. She appeared to be wearing a guard uniform. Her eyes were also crossed…

“Oh no…” sighed Applejack, “It’s Derpy.”

“Whose Derpy?” asked Ivan.

“She can “odd” sometimes. She once managed to destroy town hall singlehandedly.” answered Twilight.

“Can we stop talking and save Rainbow?” asked Fluttershy.

“All right then. Move up behind those rocks.” ordered Hayes quietly. The group snuck forward to the tree line, then darted forward, dodging behind the rocks. Ivan drew his pistol, and Hayes’ hands had tiny Charter marks floating around them. They could hear what Derpy and Rainbow were saying.

“Come on Derpy, just let me go!” whispered Rainbow. Derpy glanced uncertainly at the tower. Several human guards were lounging around the door. One was polishing a sword. Another was spelling arrows.

“I don’t know.” answered Derpy hesitantly, “I don’t think letting prisoners go is in my job description.”

“Just do it! Come on!”

“I don’t know…”

“Hey. Over here.” hissed Hayes. The two turned their heads toward the rock.

“What are you guys doing here!?” exclaimed Rainbow.

“Hey. It’s the other ponies who seem familiar but who I can’t remember.” said Derpy, her eyes crossing even more. Rainbow ducked behind the rock, Derpy following a little uncertainly. Then the worst possible thing happened. One of the guards looked up. He shouted, but no one heard exactly what he said. The guards pulled out crossbows, and two of them drew Charter marks.

“Options?” asked Ivan.

“Just shoot them. No survivors.” answered Hayes.

“Why no survivors?” asked Rarity. She said something else, but it was drowned out my gunfire as Ivan started shooting. Two of the guards went down, and the rest ducked inside the tower. One of the mages dragged a wounded guard in after him and started healing him.

“Should Fluttershy and I fly up and use our bows?” asked Rainbow.

“Maybe not a good idea. I think they might have crossbows.” said Twilight.

“In answer to your question Rarity, we need to kill them so no one knows we’re here. We’re pretty much illegal immigrants, except we’re armed. Move!” yelled Hayes. He rolled to the side as a jet of light took a chunk out of the wall, “Ok, the mages are good, though not as good as me of course.” He ducked as a crossbow bolt shot over his head.

“I think I’ll just hide behind this rock…” muttered Fluttershy. She moved behind an intact section of wall. Ivan ducked out from behind his wall and fired his pistol again. Hayes shot two blasting marks at the tower, blowing two sections of the battlements to pieces. The incoming projectiles seemed to stop after that.

“Do ya’ thank they’re hidin’?” asked Applejack. Just then a white flag poked up from the wreckage of the battlements. Hayes lit it on fire.

“If they weren’t before, they are now.” he said as he turned to Derpy, “Come on, let’s go. Hey, um, what’s your name, wanna come with us?”

“I really can!?” exclaimed Derpy, “Oh my gosh, no one’s ever asked me to come with them before. Except that weird Doctor guy…”

“Doctor? Doctor who?” asked Hayes, “Never mind, it doesn’t matter. Come on, let's get going.” As they reached the treeline, Hayes drew a long and complex killing spell. He put three master Charter Marks into it, then fired it at the tower. It swept through, killing everything, yet leaving the base unharmed. Then he followed the rest of the group down the trail.