• Published 4th Jan 2013
  • 1,447 Views, 96 Comments

Children of the Sunwell - Dizastrous



Three friends embark on a journey to find a cure for their people, their quest leads them to a new land.

  • ...
4
 96
 1,447

9 - Ashal'anore

Chaper 9

Helix moved to attempt to comfort the small yellow ball of fur and feathers that shivered on the ground in front of him. But his movement only caused a muffled cry to emit from beneath the pink mane and yellow feathers. Helix stood, frozen with his hands hovering near the mare, a panicked look painted on his face as he stared at Twilight.

"Fluttershy it's alright, he is a friend!" Twilight cooed at her friend.

The attempt at comforting her friend proved fruitless as Fluttershy still refused to uncurl or do anything aside from whimper where she shivered.

"Hey Twilight, did Fluttershy tell you about Discord leaving yet?" Rainbow Dash called as she hovered in through the open door of the library and came eye to eye with Helix.

Helix looked between the yellow mare to his hands that hovered over the cowering mare, pulling them back immediately and hiding them behind his back, as he looked then at the newcomer. Helix offered an apologetic smile to the rainbow maned pegasus and opened his mouth to offer an excuse for the misleading position he was caught in. The cyan mare gave no chance for the warlock to apologize however as she immediately leapt into action and charged head first into the stomach of Helix.

"Oof" Helix grunted as he was pushed back a couple of steps before managing to catch himself and grab a hold of the mare that headbutted him.

Rainbow Dash strugged in Helix's arms as he gave an apologetic look towards Twilight who seemed stunned by how fast things turned from bad to worse. Helix briefly thought over letting the mare go until a hoof came up and struck him in the nose, causing a stream of blood to issue forth from his nostrils.

"Ow, will you please cut that out!" Helix grunted as he managed to adjust his arms to get all four of the mare's legs locked in his bear hug.

"Let me go, I still need to teach you a lesson for attacking Fluttershy!" Rainbow screamed as she struggled to escape.

"Rainbow, Helix did not attack her! She just got scared!" Twilight yelled while stroking the pink mane of her cowering friend.

"What in tarnation is going on in here?" Applejack called as she entered the library to investigate the source of the screaming.

As the farmerpony saw the cowering form of Fluttershy who was being comforted by Twilight, then the tall stranger holding Rainbow, she knew what she had to do.

"Le'go of her!" Applejack yelled as she charged Helix.

"Wait, no no no no!" Helix exclaimed as he lifted a leg and swatted at the orange mare with a foot, keeping her at bay as he struggled with the cyan mare in his arms.

Applejack evaded the kicks, a look of anger on her face as she circled the warlock, attempting to get into an opening. Helix was fast enough to keep the newest attacker at bay, but as Rainbow doubled her efforts at struggling, he was thrown off balance and fell on his back. Applejack took this opportunity to attempt to kick Helix in the face. The warlock decided however to abandon his grip on the pegasus and roll out of the way, evading the kick. Helix and Rainbow both scrambled to stand up, and the two mares then began circling the warlock.

"Twilight, please call your friends off me!" Helix begged, not wanting to hurt either of the mares.

"Girls, please stop! Helix is a friend, this is all a misunderstanding!" Twilight pleaded, still staying by Fluttershy's side.

Twilight's pleas fell on deaf ears as Applejack and Rainbow attacked in unison. Helix frowned as the two mares closed in, and his hands were wrapped in an aura of darkness as he channeled demonic energy into himself and swatted the mares aside.

"Please cease your assault, I wish you no harm!" Helix pleaded as he raised his hands in what he hopes was an nonthreatening gesture.

"Look out hes gonna' fire a magical blast!" Applejack yelled as she saw the raised hands that were wrapped in a dark magical aura.

Applejack galloped over and threw Twilight on her back with her head, as Rainbow flew by and picked up Fluttershy. The two mares then made for the door and escaped the library with their friends. Helix's jaw hung open at how unwilling the ponies were to give him a chance. Helix then followed them outside, his hands no longer covered in magic.

What greeted Helix was the eyes of many ponies who stared at him, frozen in their daily routines before they turned in for the night. Helix froze, before putting on a kind face for the town in an attempt at recovering from the situation he found himself in with diplomacy.

The four mares that were previously in the library all stared at Helix, Fluttershy only peeking one eye from under her mane. Rainbow had deposited Fluttershy on the ground and began flying higher, and higher into the air. Helix looked after her as she became nothing more than a dot in the sky and shrugged.

"Please, I mean none of you harm. Just ask Twilight, I am a friend." Helix said calmly, not wanting to spook any of the watching ponies.

Many of the ponies who were watching the warlock now turned their attention to the well known and liked purple mare who ran the library. Twilight nodded in consent with what Helix had said.

"Everypony, he is telling the truth so please calm down. This is all a misunderstan-" Twilight began, but was cut off as a sonic rainboom streaked down from the sky and struck Helix, causing the warlock to fly through the streets, and a shockwave to shatter the windows of nearby buildings.

Helix tumbled head over heel toward a building that stood higher than all the others. The building was elegant, and bore a sign proclaiming it as 'Carousel Boutique'. Helix stood up and dusted himself off, hissing as he put a hand to the gash on his temple. He then cast his eyes toward the skies as he watched a rainbow that streaked overhead.

"I am starting to lose patience with that one..." Helix muttered darkly to himself.

Twilight galloped towards him in hopes of stopping Rainbow from attacking him again, but as she approached the rainbow maned mare streaked down from the sky directly at Helix. The warlock wrapped himself in a shell of dark energies before Rainbow struck him, and the pegasus ricocheted off, directly at the large building, crashing through it and causing the top half to go airborne.

Helix watched as the section of the building fell towards him, but sighed in relief as he noticed the trajectory was off and that it was going to miss him. He then followed where it would land and his eyes widened in horror. The falling debris was headed straight for Twilight Sparkle. Helix dashed toward the mare, knowing that he was not going to be able to get her out in time. His body felt as if it were being torn apart as he allowed demonic energies to envelop him.

Horns sprouted from his head, and wings grew on his back, his fingers turning into sharp and deadly claws. His skin turned as black as midnight, his claws, eyes, and the edge of his wings and horns glowing a deep shade of purple. His robe disappeared, the only clothing on his body was a black pair of pants, tattered where his cloven hooves protruded from. Helix had metamorphasised into his demonic form, the ultimate ability a warlock versed in demonology could use.

The demonic warlock stood over the shocked librarian and hunched down over her, shielding himself and her with his large wings as the building's debris came crashing down upon them. Helix gnashed his teeth in pain as he was pelted and felt the weight of the debris. Twilight backed her face as far away from Helix's in fear of the sharp teeth that ground together in his mouth. Helix wished to comfort her, but knew his words would not reach her, as he could only mutter the demonic language in this form.

When Helix felt that the debris had finally ended its descent, he strained his muscles ans stood up, throwing the building's materials off of him. Twilight scrambled away from him and stared at his new form. Helix sucked the demonic energies back into himself and returned to his natural form. But not before all of the townsponies saw him in his metamorphasised state.

Five mares, three of which Helix had met not that long ago converged upon Twilight, hugging her and making sure she was alright. Helix saw that the rainbow maned one had a few gashes that were bleeding, but otherwise had no serious injuries.

The other ponies that were watching did not seem very happy however. Many of them were grabbing various tools, and some even had torches. Helix gulped audibly, not liking where this was going.

"Girls I'm fine... But we need to get him to safety. Everypony looks ready to attack him." Twilight said, her heart still beating rapidly from the near death experience she just suffered.

"But Twilight, he is a monster!" Rainbow complained.

"Yes, that ruffian wrecked my home!" Rarity complained.

"That was actually Rainbow..." Applejack muttered, unable to let a lie go by.

The five mares stared at Twilight, measuring the look on their friend's face. Finally they all sighed in defeat, Fluttershy more of squeaking in acceptance.


"And then they barred the doors and shut the windows while Twilight and I attempted to have the town listen to reason." Helix said, finishing his account on what had happened.

Dizastrous held an expressionless gaze, his eyes boring straight into Helix's. Helix met the gaze with his own glare at what he knew was coming, the six mares and the small dragon holding concerned gazes at the mean looks the two Blood Elves were giving each other. Finally however, Dizastrous's look softened, earning an even meaner glare from Helix.

"Don't you dare..." Helix mumbled.

Dizastrous burst into a barrage of laughter, the sound of his voice vibrating through the floor and causing the black mare to turn her attention towards him, away from the drink she was staring into. Dizastrous fell out of his chair, and began kicking his feet as he rolled on the ground and fought for breath.

"That's what you get!" Dizastrous shouted as he wiped a tear from his eye and stood up.

"Twilight, you sure they are friends? This new guy seems to take an awful lot of joy from that story..." Applejack said with a concerned look to her friend.

"The shiny one seems like a meany-pants to me..." Pinkie said with a frown.

"Oh, I'm the mean one am I?" Dizastrous said in an offended tone.

"Well, you did sort of scare the entire town away, and on top of that you don't seem very sympathetic towards Helix." Twilight offered.

Dizastrous's face fell, and he pointed a finger at Helix as he spoke to Twilight, "He let me fall hundreds of feet when we got here! Him and Weaver just glided off, while I was expected to walk here!"

"Now that doesn't seem right. Helix here as been a perfect gentlecolt, even despite the little scuffle." Rarity said in the warlock's defense.

As the others talked Fluttershy eyed the black mare that Dizastrous had came with. Something was off about the turquoise maned unicorn. She seemed angry, and averted other pony's eyes as if she was hiding something.

Chrysalis locked eyes with the timid Fluttershy, her glare boring into the yellow mare's, causing her to avert her gaze. Chrysalis did not want to lock eyes for fear of giving away her disguise, but the pegasus was staring at her too intently as it was.

Dizastrous noticed something and strode off further into the library and stopped in front of the large map of Equestria that hung open on the wall where it was usually rolled up. He ignored the questioning looks the ponies gave him as he gazed at the map. Twilight slowly approached him and gazed between him, and where his eyes were locked.

"What are you looking for up north?" Twilight asked.

"Checking where towns are supposed to be, along with bodies of water for when I travel." Dizastrous said, waving a hand dismissively.

"Helix mentioned you had a guide, why do you need to see a map?" Twilight asked as she looked back at the black mare Dizastrous had come with.

"Even if a map is inaccurate, you can learn a lot about the land from it. For instance, just because she knows what direction, and maybe even a few roads to get there, how could she have known about this stream that runs a ways off the road if we needed water?" Dizastrous explained.

Twilight blinked, impressed at the insight the Blood Knight had despite the way he acted, "You are a lot smarter than you let on, aren't you?"

"No, all I am good for is swinging my sword and curing wounds. You just pick up some things after you spend enough time living like we did during our tour in the wars. We have seen more than most veterans see in a lifetime, and we are still young for our race." Dizastrous said with a wry grin plastered on his face.

"Oh..." Twilight said dejectedly as she rejoined her friends.

Dizastrous glanced over to where the purple mare sat now, speaking to her friends and Helix. The Blood Knight curled a lip at the sight of how close the friends seemed to one another, and turned his attention back at the map. The area he was looking at, and gesture to while speaking to Twilight was not the area he intended to travel. While he had before looked at the north west, he now looked more to the east, where the crystal mountains sat. He scanned the range until he found the depiction of the castle that had been added onto it.

Dizastrous rejoined the group as they were conversing among each other, he locked eyes with Helix and nodded. The warlock gave a sigh of relief and turned his attention towards the black mare who was being rather unsocial.

"So how did you and Diz meet anyways?" Helix asked hoping to seem friendly.

Helix's efforts only earned a sharp glare from the black mare, and when he turned his gaze towards his friend he saw an equally angry gaze. Helix froze as he realized his mistake, but the six element bearers seamed oblivious to the anger on the black mare's face, only taking note of the Blood Knight's glare.

"Oh come now, she has been quiet as a mouse all this time. Ah'm sure she is just shy like somepony else we know." Applejack said, seeing the defensive anger Dizastrous was giving Helix.

"If you really must know, I rescued her from a large transparent bear. It put up a good fight but I won." Dizastrous said, to take the attention off of his traveling companion.

"Wait... Surely you don't mean an ursa minor do you?" Twilight asked in a joking voice.

"No, I don't belive it was that..." Dizastrous said thoughtfully.

"Come on Twilight, no way somepony could fight and win against an ursa minor. Heck, you could barely move it, let alone fight it." Rainbow laughed.

"I believe I was told it was nearing the age to be considered an ursa major...." Dizastrous finished his comment.

Six pairs of eyes widened as round as dinner plates and stared at the Blood Knight. Dizastrous simply smiled back at them and turned his attention to his unimpressed friend. Helix knew that they had fought tougher foes together, the kinds of monsters this world probably could not even dream of.

"How big was it?" Helix asked.

"A little over a hundred feet I think... It was enough to shatter my knees when I fell off of its face." Dizastrous commented.

"How in the nether did you manage that you fool!" Helix said laughing at the misfortune of his friend, causing the ponies to give him an odd look.

"When I cracked open its skull I was blinded by a spray of blood and brains. Fell wrong, luckily I landed on my feet though, was easier to heal myself with working hands." Dizastrous said chuckling.

"Pardon me asking, but how are you walking around if you had your legs broken not long ago?" Rarity asked in a confused tone. Applejack and Rainbow nodded in unison to this, wanting to hear the answer.

Dizastrous considered how to answer this, and spotted a gash on his friend's head that looked as if it had recently stopped bleeding. Reaching a hand over and touching the warlock, he immediately caused all wounds to be fully healed from Helix's body. Helix sighed in relief as he felt a rib go back where it belonged from when the building fell on him, along with the cuts and scrapes healing across his body.

"How did you do that?!" Rainbow exclaimed, looking at her own cuts and bruises.

Dizastrous lifted a hand in the air and channeled holy magic into it until his spell was ready, and directed it towards Rainbow Dash, healing her as well. Rainbow shuddered as she felt her skin growing back together, the feeling alien to her.

"What kind of magic is that?" Twilight asked, amazed at the power the Blood Knight possessed.

"It is holy light magic, I specialize in the power of retribution, smiting enemies and slaying. But healing others along with myself is still within my power." Dizastrous said proudly.

"Where do you draw your magic from? Helix explained he commands powers he took and copies from some place called the nether, where the demons he commands is from. How about you?" Twilight asked interested in hearing about the new kind of magic.

"I harness the holy light, and bend its power to do my bidding." Dizastrous explained.

"Bend its power? You talk as if it were sentient..." Rarity chimed in.

"It is, the holy light is the living force that the world and all life is created from. Originally I learned to harness its powers by forcing my will over an entity that is known as a Naaru, a being of pure light. Though we no longer need to draw our power from it, that is how the original Blood Knights learned to use light magic." Dizastrous explained.

The six element bearers stared at Dizastrous, gazes filled with concern and disgust that he had treated a being so cruelly, so as to bend it to his will.

"I told you he looked like a meany-pants..." Pinkie muttered to her friends.