• Published 4th Jan 2013
  • 1,447 Views, 96 Comments

Children of the Sunwell - Dizastrous



Three friends embark on a journey to find a cure for their people, their quest leads them to a new land.

  • ...
4
 96
 1,447

5 - Kim'jael

Chapter 5

Celestia, Luna, and Weaver walked through the halls of Canterlot Castle, the princess of the sun taking the lead as the others followed her towards where Celestia wished to hold their conversation. Celestia glanced back periodically at the elf, something about it caused Celestia to be on edge.

Weaver while following was taking in the various aspects of the castle, putting particular interest in the stained glass windows they passed. The warlock read into the context given by the windows and hummed to herself, drawing the attention of Luna.

"Those windows depict important happenings over the last thousand years. That one right there depicts my sister and I defeating a great evil known as Discord." Luna explained.

"I take it you two had a falling out in the past..." Weaver commented as she stared at the window depicting Nightmare Moon being banished.

Luna bit her tongue and hung her head slightly, Celestia frowned when she saw this, "Luna grew jealous... She became corrupted and I had to banish her to the moon. But that is in the past, and I have never been happier in the past thousand years now that my sister is back with me."

Celestia kept a close eye on the elf's reaction to hearing this, but Weaver made no facial indications to even caring one way or the other about the incident.

"So what was it that you wished to discuss with my sister and I about?" Celestia asked as they continued walking.

"My friends and I are on a quest of sorts, you see my people suffer a terrible addiction. If our thirst is not sated we will lose our sanity and become mere husks of the people we once were in the face of the madness the thirst brings. Our task is to find a way to end the thirst." Weaver explained.

"Addiction to what? What could possibly cause a craving so vast that it could threaten an entire species with madness?" Luna asked, eyes wide in amazement.

"Magic, we thirst for magic. We can normally feed off a source of great power to sustain our needs for it, but it has become a hassle when we need to travel long distances away from the source. A lot of times, travelers will resort to feeding off the magic of another living creature." Weaver spoke with an impassive face.

"Do your magical energies not replenish themselves over time?" Celestia's tone was curious.

"Yes, it is not quite a need to feed on magic to use it, it is the feeling of holding more magic than we should be able to that we are addicted to. It is the excess of what is needed that we crave. The craving for greater and greater power has made us strong, but it has lead many to darkness and corruption." Weaver's voice sounded hollow as she spoke.

Celestia stopped for a brief moment, causing the other two to halt as well. The princess of the sun looked into the eyes of the warlock, and frowned at what she saw. The elf did not look that old, moved with a sense of youth, but her eyes held a form of wisdom Celestia had only ever seen in the eldest of generals.

"Weaver... How many wars have you fought in?" Celestia asked quietly.

Weaver's eyes squinted slightly as she locked eyes with Celestia, "More than you wish to hear about."

Luna and Celestia shared a glance with each other, their looks somber. The two princesses then in unison started to speak, but stopped as they realized the other was just about to as well.

"No, you go ahead Luna..." Celestia said with a nod.

"Weaver, we have never encountered anything like what your people suffer. The only things that even come close has been Discord's thirst for chaos and the Changeling's thirst to feed on love." Luna said solemnly.

"So you cannot help me is what you are saying?" Weaver said before sighing and running a hand through her hair.

"Well, we do not know of any cures for such a thing, but Discord has lived a longer life then either of us, and he has been known to be able to survive centuries in what he refers to as a 'non-chaotic and hostile environment'." Celestia explained.

Weaver looked back at the stained glass window down the hall that held the depiction of Discord fighting Celestia and Luna. The warlock then looked past the windows to the garden that lay outside with various stone statues decorating it.

"You have him sealed in your garden don't you?" Weaver asked in an accusing tone.

"Well, we do not really believe in killing somepony for their crimes when they could still atone..." Luna explained.

"Trapped in stone for a thousand years... I would have thought death would have been the kinder fate..." Weaver shook her head.

"Well, killing him still did not sit well with us." Celestia said with a frown.

"Is there any chance I could contact him inside of his prison, or is that going to be a dead end in my search here?" Weaver asked with an irritated sigh.

"Well, we were hoping to rehabilitate him actually... If you are willing to wait here in Canterlot while he goes through it there is a chance you could talk to him then..." Luna said looking at her sister as she spoke.

Celestia nodded in approval before turning her gaze back on the warlock, "But you have to promise me you will not harm anypony or break any laws while you are here..."

"Very well, but may I be so bold as to ask for permission to tap into a little of either of your magic should my thirst begin to grow unbearable?" Weaver asked with a sly smile.

The two princesses shared a glance and an uncertain expression before Luna spoke, "Very well, come to me if you absolutely must feed on magic... It does not harm the one you feed on does it?"

"No no, not with the amount of latent magic you hold in yourself. Here let me show you..." Weaver said as she lifted a hand and placed it gently on the side of Luna's face.

Luna recoiled slightly from the touch of the warlock, but it was already too late to stop it. Weaver spread her fingers and flexed them slightly as she pulled magical energies from Luna. In a matter of a second she was done, and Weaver held a floating blue ball of magic the size of an apple. Luna felt a piece of her magical energies missing, as if she had just moved the moon, but not enough was missing to really cause her concern.

"There, that wasn't so bad was it? Your sister and you have an insane amount of latent magical energies in you so you should barely feel a difference." Weaver said with a smile as she eyed the ball of magic before quickly clenching it between her fingers and absorbing it into herself.

Luna watched the display with a sense of mild interest before meeting her sister's stare.

"What is it Tia?" Luna asked at the barely contained giggle Celestia was fighting.

"Your hair..." Celestia made out before having to close her mouth again for fear of bursting.

Luna looked up at her mane and realized it no longer floated in the invisible breeze, and it had lost the constellations in it, instead it hung down like a normal pony's mane did. Luna's jaw hung open at the realization of the fact that the magic taken from her was from the spell that caused her mane to have a divine luster to it.

"Tia!" Luna whined as her sister broke into a fit of laughter.


Helix walked through the darkened streets of Ponyville, humming a tune to himself as he looked around the darkened houses. As he strode on under the cover of night, unseen by the ponies who slept soundly in their homes, he wondered how his friends fared. Dizastrous was surely lost in the wilderness somewhere, hopefully not causing too much trouble, and Weaver hopefully managed to get on good terms with the two princesses.

Helix stopped in his tracks as he felt something pulsing. A strong source of power was manifesting nearby, though it felt as if it was being dampened and hidden, the warlock could easily follow where it came from with his sensitivity to magical energies.

The pulsing he followed brought him to a two story building which unlike all of the other houses, had its shutters closed. Helix frowned as he tried the door and realized it was locked. He briefly considered forcing his way in, but thought better of it. As he turned around to leave he realized that the energies were familiar, they matched the type of magic the Bronze Dragons used when casting time magic.

With a new sense of determination Helix circled the house looking for an opening. He found only a chimney, otherwise all of the windows and doors were firmly shut ant locked. The fact that this house alone seemed to find it necessary to lock up so tight made the warlock suspicious.

"Only one way in then..." Helix said as he began channeling and spell.

The eye of Kilrogg flew up and down the chimney of the house, entering into a family room of sorts. The room itself only held a sofa, love seat, and coffee table, otherwise it was bare. Helix willed the eye to continue onward and search for what was pulsing the magical energy. As the eye floated through the house he noticed many pictures of a cross eyed pegasus, an earth pony, and a unicorn filly.

The eye came to a halt as it found its way blocked by a closed door. The eye emitted fel magic as a glowing green rune appeared on the ground. Within seconds the eye was a pile of ash and Helix stood in the center of the magic circle. Helix then slowly opened the door and walked down a set of stairs that led into the basement of the house. As he rounded the corner he found that the basement was bare, save for a strange blue box which had a door on the front of it.

"What in the nether is this?" Helix said as he walked up to and attempted to open the door, but his effort was in vain as the door refused to budge.

Helix frowned as he studied the box, for the energies were coming from the inside of the box. Helix heard a sound from above him, hooves were rushing through the house and toward the stairway. Helix looked around and dove under the stairs, pressing his back against the wall and looking up through the cracks of the stairs as a pair of hooves descended them.

The gray mare from the photos upstairs hopped from the last step as her wings fluttered in a barely suppressed sense of excitement. Double cocked his head to the side in confusion as the giddy mare seemed to be excitedly taking to herself in anticipation of something.

The door slowly opened, and a golden light flooded the basement from within the box. The brown stallion from the photos stepped out and closed the door behind him, a smile on his face as he saw the mare.

"Doctor!" The pegasus mare yelled as she threw her hooves over the stallion.

"Hey now, I haven't been gone for that long have I?" The stallion who seemed to be a doctor of sorts said.

"Three days, but I'm so happy you're back!" The mare said as they broke the embrace.

Helix could feel the magical energies coming from the stallion, something was different about him. While he himself did not possess much more magic than a normal being, he was cloaked in a rather large amount of it. Also, while similar to the Bronze Dragon's magic, there was a definite difference he could feel while the door was open.

The stallion froze and tensed visibly, causing the mare to give him a questioning look. Helix knew he had been spotted, and slowly crawled out from under the stairs, rising himself up to his full height. His eyes locked with the stallion's.

"You are not from this world are you time traveler?" Helix said, a smile on his face.

The stallion choked on the words he was trying to get out at what the warlock had said, the mare however had whipped around and held a curious look on her face.

"Don't try to lie either, I have felt time magic before, and your reek of it." Helix pressed on as he took a step towards the two ponies.

"H-hey now, don't try anything funny, I'm not afraid to use this!" The stallion said as he pulled a strange mechanical device from a saddlebag on his side.

"I do not mean harm to you, I simply wish to ask a few questions..." Helix said as he slowly reached for the staff on his back.

The movement behind his back was not unseen by the stallion however who pointed the device at the warlock's feet and activated it. Immediately the engineering rockets in his boots activated and misfired, causing Helix to slam into the ceiling, bursting into the room above before falling to the floor next to the hole he caused.

"Kim'jael..." Helix muttered in Thalasian as he clutched his head where a gash bled profusely.