• Published 28th Dec 2012
  • 1,585 Views, 21 Comments

Bucking Magnets, How Do They Work?! - SiMoS MCmuffin



Human in Equestria story. Contains light shipping and discovering new found powers.

  • ...
5
 21
 1,585

1 Where am I, part 1

Life's a fickle thing, ain't it....

One moment I'm transporting the new experimental super magnet prototype on the bed of my pickup, when the fiercest storm I have ever seen descends over the horizon. Once the rain started to really come down I had really hard time seeing where I was going while there was lighting striking every dozen seconds.

After what felt like a couple of hours of considerable downpour and ears still ringing from the lighting strikes. The horizon finally seems to start clearing up. I smile inwardly to myself that I finally get to relax after hard concentration on the driving for the past 30 minutes, but as soon as I finished that thought there was a bright flash and the loudest bang I could ever remember.

--------------------

Ache and pain. That's all I could feel... I couldn't feel any of my limbs. I tried wiggling my fingers, but I wasn't sure that I even got them anymore as I didn't feel any sensations from my arms or my legs for that matter.

*Strange... I could have sworn that I was just driving my pickup.* I thought to myself. I slowly opened my eyes, even that felt like hard work, but immediately I wished that I hadn't. From what I could see, it was night and I was in some kind of forest. The big, dark and scary kind. My back seemed to be leaning against a tree with my legs spread out in front of me. I looked around and saw just endless forest and bush in every direction, but something caught my eye. It looked like a mangled piece of the bodywork of my car, it was no bigger than my hand. Panic started to creep into my mind *Where am I!? What time is it?! AND WHY AM I HERE?!*.

A sudden electrical zap noise caught my attention. It sounded like it came from behind me. I tried turning my head, but the tree trunk was in the way and I would have probably snapped my neck, if I tried to peek around the trunk considering the pain I was already feeling. I turned my attention back to myself. I looked at my hands. Both still here and 10 fingers I smiled, but I grew grim as I saw the left forearm twisted at some sick angle at the middle with what I was sure was bone sticking out. Thankfully it seemed that the wound itself had clogged up already, or maybe I was starting to run low with internal liquids to gush through it. At least both of legs seemed to be okay... Well when I say okay, I mean no bones sticking out from anywhere, but my right ankle looked a bit swollen. Must have sprained it... somehow...

After making sure that I wouldn't pass out from the pain from moving I gently rose up and was reassured on the sprained quality of my right ankle. I almost collapsed back to the ground, but quickly leaned on my right shoulder against the tree and placed most of my weight on my left leg. Starting to shiver I realized it was quite a cold night and my outfit of a t-shirt under a hoodie and jeans weren't quite meant for the near freezing temperatures.

*I can do this! I can make it out of here!* I psyched myself. Slowly I made it around the tree while still supporting my self against it and came to a startling scene. Halfway up a tree was the front end of my car on fire with what seemed to be either motor oil or gasoline dripping out from under the bonnet. The backside of my car was nowhere to be seen. Fortunately this little fire didn't seem like it was about to spread, but thankfully it did give of some light to the surrounding area. Next to the tree with my car was quite a hole. I estimated the size to be roughly three meters across and half a meter deep when compared to the surrounding area.

Right in the middle of the hole though was what I suspected to be the source of the electric noise, the experimental super magnet. The magnet was glowing like hot iron while arcs of electricity surged out from it's core every once in a while. I thought back to the storm and was pretty sure that the flash and boom was a lighting bolt striking the magnet, which had then grounded itself through the bodywork of my car. I could only start guessing what kind of current it had induced into the supra conductive coil of the magnet, which then meant that it must have generated absolutely massive magnetic field fluctuation...

Unfortunately I was interrupted from my pondering by a blood curling howl. And I was sure the perpetrator was not far away considering from the volume of the howl. Suddenly every bush around me started to look quite threatening as they would give quite a good hiding place for any predators hungry for some easy meal. Quickly looking around I tried to decide on what direction to head to, but everywhere I looked I just saw more forest. -Well, here goes nothing" I stated to myself and took off in a random direction into the forest.

Speed surely wasn't my biggest strength, as I was semi limping with my right foot; but at least I was making progress... to where ever I was going. Unfortunately it seemed that I needed to pick up my pace as a growl sounded from behind me. Turning around all I could see a pair of yellow eyes in the dark, but as soon I had noticed them another pair popped into my view. and then another, and another, until there were at least six eye pairs watching me intensely.

Adrenaline started to fill my veins as I bolted to the direction I was going, while a chorus of growls and snarls erupted behind me. I was glad that my right ankle didn't give out on me, even though it hurt like hell every time my weight came down on it, but considering being eaten by god knows what I concluded that it was a worthy price. Better alive than dead right?

I ran while hopping over tree roots and bushes and ducking under low branches, but even though I felt like going a mile a minute the crushing fact was that the sounds of my pursuers kept getting louder. Meaning that I needed either go even faster or prepare to fend off whatever that was on a hot pursuit behind me. My clothes weren't able to escape the situation either, getting quite shredded in my hurry along with nasty cuts from thorny bushes on my arms and legs. After couple of minutes of very intense running my ankle really started to give in even though I was full of adrenaline, it started to look like I would be fighting for my life tonight, in an unknown forest against an unknown predator. If worse would become to pass I just hoped that someone eventually found my body, so that my family and coworkers would know what had happened...

A faint glimmer on the horizon brought my attention back to the situation as the vegetation seemed to thin out slowly. I just hoped I was coming to the edge of the forest and not gotten disoriented and made my way back to the burning wreck of my car. In my small moment of hope I managed to unfortunately get my foot caught on a tree root. Causing me to stumble and hit the ground hard with a solid thud, but now wasn't the time to quit! Quickly I tried to regain my bearings, but it seemed that my luck had run out as I was about to start the final dash to the edge of the forest, something latched on to my arm.

I yelled out of pain and anger and turned to see what had started to sample my flesh for it's dinner. I came face to face with what looked like a wolf, but instead of fur the entire canine seemed to be nothing but tree branches intertwined so that It resembled a wolf's form. I was snapped away from my wonderment as the wolf bit down harder on my right forearm. I started to kick the wolf head and jaw in desperation to let it go! I was too close to the finishing line to become dinner now!

On my third kick I hit the wolf in it's neck and it yelped and softened it's grip on my arm, which was just what I needed. With a violent move I tore my arm out it's jaws and started to make a beeline for the forest's edge. I only got couple of steps when another one of those things started pulling my hoodies left sleeve. Thinking quickly I decided that staying and fighting would be a lost cause as I would be most certainly overrun in seconds, so in haste I pulled the hoodie off of me with my right arm in a great big arch, causing big blood splatters to appear on the nearby bushes and trees.

With renewed burst of speed I shot towards the clearing beyond the treeline, just in time to hear the sound of snapping jaws on my heels. 30 yards... 20... 10... 5... I'm out! I entered a big grass field and looked behind only to see the glowing eyes to stay at the treeline and not coming after me anymore. I gave a big sigh of relieve as the eyes started to disappear back into the forest, but just as I was going to start moving out a again to what now looked like a little town I noticed that my little fight had taken it's toll. I was bleeding heavily from my wounds. My left arms fracture wound had reopened and my right arm was bleeding from the wolf's bite wound. *This ain't good. I'm going to bleed out at this rate* I concluded and were starting to shiver even more violently now that I didn't have hoodie anymore either.

Looking at the town I saw just one building with lights still coming out of the windows, it looked like a giant tree house. Except the whole tree WAS the house. Deciding that it was my best bet for help I limped my way to what looked like the front door. Now low on adrenaline I was starting to near the borderline of consciousness. Add to that my feat of running away from the wolves and the mental and physical stress I was in. I was lucky enough to make my way to it.

Giving the door couple of kicks with my left leg and yelling for help . The fatigue finally caught me and I slumped against the door and then to the ground as I leaned my back against it. I hazily remember hearing footsteps... or more like hoofsteps nearing the door and the handle being turned. As the door opened I fell backwards and laid on my back in the opened doorway. Shouts of panic and confusion filled the air and something purple entered my blurred vision. Just before I lost consciousness the purple thing seemed to yelling something at me, but slowly the voices started feeling more distant and my vision slowly started fading to black as I fainted.

Well at least I wasn't going to be eaten anymore... Hopefully...

Author's Note:

Well... the start of a story is always said to be the hardest...
This is my first ever fanfic or story even, but just felt that maybe I should try this.
I try to write so I don't do a lot repeating sentences. Keep it fresh you know.

Comments would be very welcome.
Did you like it? hate it? liked this part? disliked this part? and so on.