• Published 26th Dec 2012
  • 1,827 Views, 9 Comments

Tribunal - Carnifaxy



The Canterlot Wedding was just the beginning, Chrysalis little more than a pawn in a game to draw Celestia and Luna to face a foe with an ancient grudge against the alicorns.

  • ...
5
 9
 1,827

Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The three pegasi continued with their flight, stopping only for food and drink. The lands below had grown harsher and more drier, stretching from the mountains to the west and the shore to the east. Clouds became more and more scarce as a result, but with seemingly no life for miles they had little to worry about.

“I wish Celestia told us just how far this place was!” Downdraft's irritation was almost as palpable to the others.

“She did. 'A proper military excursion to or from these lands would possibly take some months due to logistics involved',” Mist snorted out.

“Don't be a smart-flank Mist, and stop your whining Draft. Humans probably did something wrong to be tossed out in lands like these, and the Princess is worried enough about them that we need to do this.”

“Still, isn't it a little odd, Sir? Celestia knew about this place for how long and just know has decided to do something about it?”

“The Princess has her reasons to be secretive. We just have to have faith in her to do the right thing.”

“Hard to not have faith in the Princess, sir,” Downdraft quipped.

Windgust snorted. “The Princess has done a lot for Equestria. She's still just a pony though and can make mistakes. Once you've been in the Guard as long as I have, thinking of Celestia as perfect doesn't tend to stick. Well, unless you're an optimist like Captain Armor. Good stallion, horribly naïve.”

They fell back into an uncomfortable silence, time ticking away as they continued on their travels. Days passed, less time used than if they were on hoof, but the three stopped to set up for rest and food every so often.

It was not until their second week of travel that they had finally caught sight of dark clouds up ahead, the temperature dropping rapidly. The winds began to howl as a snowstorm suddenly enveloped the three pegasi.

“Climb up above the clouds!” Windgust shouted over the wind.

The three scouts pushed their way up through the clouds, using their wings and hooves to move the hundreds of feet up into the air. Once on the upper cloud layer, the pegasi collected their wits only for their jaws to drop.

“Are those...”

“No way!”

“Windigoes.”

Out in the distance the monstrous apparitions of legend were swirling around inside of the clouds, blanketing the land below in frost. If they had noticed the pegasi they made no note of it, intent on turning the land into a frozen tundra.

Windgust turned to the others, a frown on his face. “Look, now I know we have orders but these are windigoes. We can continue onward with our mission, or we can head back to Equestria. I'm not forcing you two into a situation like this.”

“With all due respect, sir,” Mist said with a slow nod, “but the Princess is counting on us to do our duties. I'd fly through Tartarus is that were my orders.”

“Same here sir, we have to do what we have to do and whatnot.”

The pegasi captain merely nodded and motioned for them to follow, diving back down through the clouds toward the ground below. “We'll keep this nice and easy, stay low to the ground until we hit civilization! This is no longer a 'first contact' scenario, we will assume that humans are on the level of ponies and act accordingly!”

“Why the sudden change in parameters, sir?” Downdraft shouted.

“Because if the windigoes are involved than humans will need our help more than our caution!”

*****

Agathon was sitting in the judge seat, head on the desk. His eyes were open and he let out a weary sigh as Gilda brought a tray of food to him, carefully setting down the platter of grubs, raw meat, and wine.

“This stuff's taking too long I guess?”

“A proper trial usually takes about a few months to a year to finally get going. A Tribunal starts as soon as possible, but takes forever to get resolved! Phaitos thinks that the Changelings were in the right to invade Equestria without prior warning, that Tribunal law is about consequences for some actions, not to outright deny certain strategies.”

Gilda took to the seat next to him, nodding as she popped some grubs into her mouth. “What does Slaar think?”

“Oh by the Roc, he's the worst of it! He and Luna have been pressing for Chrysalis to get the full punishment that Tribunal law can dictate, but capturing ponies to suspend and feed off of their emotions is nothing like genocide!”

“It's kinda close though, if they don't let the ponies breed, right?”

“No, it's like how we and the humans keep some animals to raise for food. Cows and pigs are quite intelligent, but they have no civilization, no culture, and so would wind up being food for monsters in the first place.”

Gilda shook her head. “The ponies do have a civilization and culture though, so if the changelings managed to succeed then it's as good as genocide then.”

Agathon picked his head up and opened his mouth, then shut it and gave a nod. “That's true. I suppose you don't have to kill them totally to eradicate their presence from the world. Though in that case we'll need to set up something with the changelings so they don't die of starvation... This is just a complete mess, I never should have accepted the Changelings into the Tribunal in the first place!”

She put her hand on his back and began to rub slowly. “It's okay dad, you thought you were doing the right thing. Anyone else could have done the same thing. Hell, Slaar hates the changelings but he was willing to help them!”

He smiled and gave Gilda an affectionate nuzzle. “That's true, yes. I suppose Chrysalis just wanted her people to survive, which is why Phaitos is supporting her. Still, I'm at a loss of what we can do. The Tribunal is at a stalemate, we don't have nearly enough other nations involved to help break it either.”

“The zebras would probably be more inclined if we weren't invading them every year.”

“Now you know that I have never endorsed the Zebrica invasions, but if the nobles don't get to show off then it'll cause tensions to build up here. Last thing we need is another Aeries War, especially since how different nobles control the different aspects of our industrialization works! Nobles who rule the miners could cut off he flow of iron to the forges, nobles that control the forges could direct the materials to be shipped to their own forces. It'd be utter chaos!”

“Dad, dad! You're worrying about this way too much. Just, relax, okay? I haven't seen you so stressed out until this all started. Once it's over maybe we can make a trip to Equestria.”

Agathon trilled softly and nodded with a smile. “Oh, yes that's a good idea! I haven't seen Princess Celestia since my coronation, and we could maybe get a new trade agreement settled as well! Yes, that's something to look forward to.”

“Maybe Slaar can come along too?”

“I wish, but he's always so busy with his kingdom. He once told me that Mana relies on him more than Equestria does the princesses!”

Gilda giggled softly and shook her head. “Maybe when he finds the time then, if he's your good friend then it'd only be wise for me to get to know him too.”


“This is taking too long Slaar. We need to do this, tonight,” Chrysalis hissed out.

“The Tribunal is deadlocked, so long as I keep agreeing with Princess Luna's side and Phaitos keeps taking yours then we can stretch this ou-”

Her hoof stomped the ground. “No! My people are starving to death, we need to get this plan started! And don't you forget, Mana is beset by all sorts of monsters, if you're not there then it'll succumb! Or do you not want to keep ruling over those petty humans, how they bicker amongst themselves over their foolish worship of Celestia and Luna... Having them die would make it so much easier!”

Slaar glared at the changeling, and pressed up against the bars. “I have half a mind to kill you for thinking I don't care about my people!” He paused and took in a deep breath and turned to the disguised guard. “Tonight, fine. I just hope you remember your role. This is to go off without a hitch.”

“I will not fail my queen.”

With a snort Slaar took his leave through the hidden passage, muttering under his breath. “It is not your queen that you can't fail.”

Once he was out of sight, Chrysalis turned her gaze to her guardian. “He's right, you know. If you make even the smallest mistake it is your life on the line, and I do not like risking my precious children. But, if your death advances our cause than you will be immortalized as a hero.”

“Serving the queen, the hive, that is all a changeling needs,” he said with a bow.

With a flick of her tail she settled back into the hay bed and nodded. “Then do what Slaar has asked of you, and nothing more. You will begin as soon as the moon has risen, understand? This gets done tonight, you know what you must be do.”

“Of course my queen.”

**********

Roland had taken his time in getting reacquainted with Canterlot from the last time he had been to the great city, though Celestia refused to let him wander without a proper escort, namely herself. To throw a human into such a city would bring all sorts of madness, to have the princess along with him would at least calm what fears her subjects would have. It was highly unorthodox, and Shining Armor was against having Roland walk through the city in the first place, but Celestia had convinced the guard captain that a full escort was not required. As such, Shining Armor decided to be their escort into Canterlot proper.

“Oh Auntie, you're going into the city? I was looking to go, there's a new bookstore opening and I'd like to see what they have to expand my collection!” Prince Blueblood said as he swiftly joined the trio, making sure his mane was perfectly set and straightening out his bow tie.

Shining rolled his eyes and let out a sigh while Celestia let out a light giggle.

“Oh nephew, we're just getting the ponies comfortable with Sir Roland, so that he doesn't need an escort all the time. Having the entire royal family might be a good way of doing that actually.”

“Cadance won't be joining us, she said she had some business out in the city to take care of,” Armor said before glancing nervously to Roland.

“Are you worried about my sword? It's a cultural thing, a knight does not go into the presence of their liege without being able to defend them. So long as Princess Celestia is with us, I am honor-bound to carry.”

“I really don't think that is necessary, Sir Roland.”

“It isn't, no, but better to have and not need than to need and not have.”

“Perfectly logical reasoning, shall we go now? Auntie may have the schedule clear for today but we simply must get in as much as possible before the sun sets!”

Celestia put a wing over Blueblood's back, shaking her head as she lead the group into the city. “And to think, some ponies find you a boor, nephew.”

It was quite a shock for the citizens of Canterlot to see their Princess walking without a sizable escort of guards, having only her nephew, captain, and that strange, tall beast with her! Roland was unperturbed by the stares and whispers, merely basking in the radiance that was the noon sun. It was Blueblood that was essentially leading the group along, casually chatting about new styles and artworks that have gotten popular in the last month. Shining wasn't caring much while Celestia merely nodded along.

“Ever since the changeling invasion, a few designers decided to go with glossy black leather and such for some of their latest designs. I myself couldn't be seen in such a thing, but I can understand the inspiration! Oh my, it's almost time for lunch, we should get that settled,” he said, making sure his mane was straight as they stood right in front of the most luxurious restaurant of Canterlot, Ancien Régime.

“Prince Blueblood, I'm not sure this is a good idea, this place is always full of paparazzi,” Armor said.

“Oh, nonsense! Paparazzi aren't going to try bothering Princess Celestia after all!”

“I do not think it is I we should be worried about.”

Roland, for his part, simply frowned. “I will be on my best behavior. I represent myself, humanity, and Celestia after all.”

Blueblood raised an eyebrow. “You represent Auntie? I know you have her cutie mark on your tabard and all...”

“I'll explain when we're inside and seated, only proper to tell a story over food.”

“Of course, of course!”

The sudden appearance of not just Princess Celestia, but also the captain of the guard and Prince Blueblood sent the restaurant into a titter, making sure Blueblood's usual table was open and cleaned up meticulously before the four were offered seats.

The maître d' was swift to join them before they were even fully seated.

“Ah, what a marvelous grouping of guests that have graced our humble eatery! What shall I be getting you all for drinks?”

“Hmm... A bottle of Prench champagne for the table?” Blueblood offered.

“I will just have tea, thank you,” Celestia said with a polite nod of her head.

“I will too, not allowed to drink on the job,” said Shining.

“I'll have some rye whiskey, I remember Canterlot being rather good with whiskey.”

The maître d' coughed nervously and bowed to the group. “I will be right back with your drinks.”

Blueblood shot a curious gaze at Roland. “Whiskey? I could've sworn you were a bourbon stall- er, man.”

“Hah! Bourbon is whiskey. A specific kind actually! But I've always enjoyed rye over corn. You know, Blueblood, I was warned up and down throughout the castle that you were an ass, but you don't seem so bad really! Much more agreeable than those other nobles I've seen come to court with their complaints.”

Blueblood cracked a grin and gave a nod. “Auntie's been helping my family for generations, there's a lot of love and loyalty between us. I'm not agreeable on a lot of things I will admit, but in my position I'm more concerned with making sure things run smoothly rather than amassing more wealth. If that means I have to be an ass, then so be it.”

Shining for his part, bit his tongue back while Celestia patiently waited for her tea.

In due time their drinks were brought out and food was ordered and set, Celestia, Shining, and Roland all ordering a rather simple salad for the restaurant while Blueblood got his a bit more fancier, if having a larger portion loaded to the brim with extras is simply 'a bit more' of course. The prince took a long sip of his champagne before letting out a pleased sigh.

“Excellent, as always. Now, Roland, I believe you were going to tell us a little story? I don't mean to pry. I do, actually, but you've been in Canterlot for some time now and only Auntie knows anything substantial about you!”

Shining cleared his throat. “Blueblood, it's rude to pester a guest with such frivolous things, if he wants to tell us it'll be on his own accord.”

“It's quite all right Captain Armor,” Roland took a sip of his whiskey. “It's a rather long story, not one to be told over a single lunch, I'll keep to the basics though. A thousand years ago I became head of the knights of the Celestian Church. We were rivals of the Lunarians until Nightmare appeared. It sparked a huge war between both religions as we wanted to help Celestia and they were devout to Luna. So through the war, Celestia and I were inseparable until the final battle in the Everfree. As the two goddesses fought in the skies, my brother and I faced each other.”

“Your brother was a Lunarian? I don't think I could ever raise a weapon against my sibling,” Shining said with a frown.

Roland sighed and nodded slowly. “Aye, but that's the difference between humans and ponies. You'd look for every option before resorting to violence while sometimes violence must be met with violence.”

Blueblood nearly spat out his drink. “That's barbaric!”

“It wasn't easy! Oliver and I were dear friends before we chose our goddesses, then rivals to bring glory to our respective churches, then finally foes on the battlefield. It weighed on my heart that I would have to kill my own brother, but that's when the Rainbow appeared. It engulfed us both, along with the Demon. Then I woke up at the castle which was overtaken by nature and made my way to Canterlot.”

Shining slowly stirred his tea. “You call Celestia and Luna goddesses?”

Celestia cleared her throat. “Yes, humans have seen my sister and I as such since we had found them.”

“Why didn't Equestria keep contact with them Auntie? It sounds like they would have been a great help in our conflicts with the griffons over the centuries.”

“Because... I abandoned humanity after sealing Luna in the moon.”

Roland took another sip of his whiskey. “We went over this several times already, and while I disagree I understand why you did it Princess, I probably would have done the same thing in your position.”

“Humans are... different from ponies,” Celestia began, then suddenly found it difficult to continue.

Shining raised an eyebrow and looked to Roland expectantly. With a heavy sigh the human knight continued for the princess.

“As we said before, humans are violent creatures. My brother and I raised swords against each other, and he wasn't possessed by bitterness or hate. All the reason he had was the love of his goddess in his heart. We also require a steady diet of meat as well, and I know how ponies take to humans consuming pork and beef.”

An uncomfortable silence descended upon the quartet as they finished their meals and drinks. They sat as their dishes were collected before Blueblood left a generous tip, then the four getting up and walking out.

“Back to the castle for the evening then?” the prince asked.

“There's one place I would like to see first, if it's still standing.”

Celestia gave Roland a soft smile. “I couldn't bear to have it demolished. It's near the center of town, all the original bricks still in place. Nopony uses it though, at least to my knowledge.”

His mood uplifted, Roland didn't even bother to give thanks, taking off down the road. Shining instantly took off after him, shouting for the human to slow down. Celestia giggled and spread her wings, taking flight after them. For his part, Blueblood let out a drawn-out sigh and began walking in their direction.

“Honestly, they're like children.”

Roland, Shining, and Celestia had all made it to the quaint church, Blueblood trailing far behind. Reverently, Roland placed his bare hand onto the stone of the church wall and lowered his head. His fingers trembled against the solid rock as tears patted against the ground. The Solar Princess walked up to his side, draping a wing over his back.

“Is he...”

“Yes, Turpin is still interred here. Not a thing has been changed.”

He reached for the door and pushed it open. Roland only took a single step inside to notice that the small, humble church was not completely empty. There was perhaps a handful of ponies seated quietly, but the most shocking one was at the podium, dressed in the white and gold trimmed robes of a Celestian.

“Cadance?” Shining Armor walked over to his wife, and she had suddenly realized that they had entered the church.

She cleared her throat softly and put on a large smile for them. “Welcome to the Celestian church of Canterlot. I know this is a shock to you all that I'm here dressed as I am.”

“Cadance, you know how I feel about, this,” Celestia said, making a motion with her hoof to the vestments.

“I do, aunt, I do! It's just, when we first met? How could I not think of you in such a way after that? I went there a pegasus and came out an alicorn, and it was after meeting you. And, this place, it's peaceful and brings happiness to those that know it. I enjoy bringing happiness to others.”

“So, this is where you've been sneaking off to when you have the chance. Can't say I'm entirely surprised and with your position it won't be such a scandal as if some other noble was leading this place,” Blueblood said with a nod. “Well, you all do take care, I have some errands to run.”

Roland walked forward and knelt before Cadance. “For me it seems to be only a few weeks since I had last heard the blessings from a priest, though I know it has been a millenia since. I ask for the blessing, if you'll allow it.”

“It seems unorthodox to ask me to bless you when Celestia herself is right there.”

“Dear Celestia does not view herself as a goddess, her humility is one that needs to be appreciated.”

Cadance looked up to the older princess, Celestia giving a nod of her head. The younger princess walked back to the podium and pulled a vial of water before moving back to Roland. He raised his head up and she sprinkled the water on his brow.

“The dark comes, but the sun will rise to banish the shadows. Monsters lurk, but flee from the righteous. To be a knight of the sun, to be a Celestian, is to steel yourself against your fears and to let the light of Celestia's love and wisdom guide the way. When all seems to be lost, remember that the sun shall shine upon your morrow.”

“The Knight's Prayer, said before battles, to assure victory,” Celestia said as she walked to them. Shining Armor took to his wife's side and embraced her with a smile.

“That was beautiful, Cadance, but why didn't you tell me before about this?”

“It's a private thing really, I didn't think it'd be something you'd be interested in. Aunt Celestia doesn't really seem to approve of it very much, so I never spoke about it.”

“While I do not approve, Cadance, it's good to see that you've been keeping this place in excellent condition.”

Cadance smiled up at Celestia and bowed. “Thank you aunt.”

Roland stood up, looking refreshed. He smiled warmly at Cadance and gave a bow. “If you'll all excuse me, I have an old friend I need to see,” he said as he walked toward the door in the back, leading down into the catacombs.

**********

Night had fallen over Griffdonia after another grueling Tribunal session before the leaders retired back to their rooms. Agathon slumped into his chair, Slaar sitting across from him. They both contented themselves with wine and Gilda's violin, the younger griffon gently playing with a few snags here and there.

“You're rather good, Gilda, especially for how long you've been playing!”

“It's not a useful skill, most griffons prefer martial prowess over other sorts.”

Agathaon scoffed. “It's not griffon nobles I want to show off to. They're easy to please, flash some talons, break some bones and you get all the respect you need. No, it's the Equestrians that I'd like to make a stronger connection with. Our cultures are different, but I've found the ponies to be admirable in their own ways.”

Slaar shook his head as he sipped the wine. “What, us humans aren't good enough for Griffdonia?” he said with a laugh. “I understand Agathon, Mana doesn't have the best offers to the other nations... I need to get back as soon as I can, the windigoes and faeries will have been active without my intervention.”

“Yes, the Tribunal... Slaar, we need to break this deadlock. It's clear Chrysalis is innocent of war crimes. Kidnapping, impersonation, and a sudden sneak attack do not qualify under Tribunal laws, but even then so long as you take Luna's side we can't get anywhere!”

“Are you asking me to side with Phaitos and have Chrysalis freed? You know that her changelings feed upon my humans!”

“Yes, they do, if I were in your position I'd be taking steps to protect my griffons, but the fact of the matter is that the changelings are starving to death while we're locked up in deliberations about if we should free their queen or not!”

Gilda's playing stopped as she looked between the two. “You know, you could try to set up a deal with Equestria. I mean, the changelings are starving, right? Play on the ponies and their pathetic empathy, make it look like the invasion was some desperate act and they didn't think of alternatives. With how you've been treating them, Prince Slaar, it has weight to it.”

The dragon-prince let out a snort through his nostrils. “The laws are right, Chrysalis should not be kept any longer. I suppose then that I will talk with Princess Luna about this then, to make her understand that I do not want Chrysalis free but we have no right to keep her. Well, Equestria does, but they will have to recapture her again.”

Agathon raised his glass, giving a wry grin to his friend. “A toast then, to finally ending this damned Tribunal. Next time we meet for Tribunal business, it'll be to rewrite the damn laws!”

With a laugh, they clinked their glasses together and downed the rest of their wine, settling into their seats. As Agathon began to pour another glass the door to the den was thrust open with magic, the griffon king dropping the bottle with a squawk. There was a whistle of air and a thud, Agathon clutched at his chest before slumping back in his seat.

Slaar's head snapped around, spying the intruder, Night Shade. He shot up out of his seat and towards the unicorn, who looked at the enraged prince with fear in his eyes. As the pony tried to turn away there was a hot flash filling the air, the crack of thunder, and suddenly where the dark stallion once stood only a pile of ash remained.

Gilda was by Agathon's side, blubbering as she tried to shake him awake.

“No no no no no no! You can't be dead, you can't!”

He left her to her grief, walking out into the hallway. The two griffon guards had their throats slashed, and he grimaced. Slaar turned to Gilda and felt his heart torn, seeing her cry over the body of his beloved friend. “Gilda, Gilda! I know this is hard, but right now we need to rally the guards. It was that pony of Princess Luna's that did this, we need to arrest her immediately.”

She was at a loss of words, her eyes red and wet with tears. Her head pushed into Agathon's shoulder as she sobbed, begging for the world to go back to how it was just moments ago. Slaar clenched his fist as several griffons rushed into the room. He turned his attention to them, a stern look on his face.

“King Agathon was assassinated by Princess Luna's guard, Princess Ermengilda will need consoling. Check on King Phaitos and Queen Chrysalis! We don't know how much danger the rest of the castle could be in!”

The guards hurriedly saluted and hurried out onto their assigned tasks, the sudden shock of their king's murder coupled with Slaar's forceful orders sending them out. Slaar moved back to his seat in a daze and landed on the cushion, looking at the glazed eyes of his friend, feeling them accusing him. Gilda continued sobbing over the king's corpse and the prince put his face into his hands, a shudder running down his spine.

'Chrysalis what the hell happened?!'

Author's Note:

So after a totally unnecessary hiatus, here's chapter four of the story! I'm hoping to get more done sooner and to also start putting up a couple other stories soon!