• Published 26th Dec 2012
  • 1,827 Views, 9 Comments

Tribunal - Carnifaxy



The Canterlot Wedding was just the beginning, Chrysalis little more than a pawn in a game to draw Celestia and Luna to face a foe with an ancient grudge against the alicorns.

  • ...
5
 9
 1,827

Chapter 15

“You managed to convince the Lunarians to march with my army. The Celestians will as well, per your instructions. A curious thing, for a god to ask their followers to fight against them,” Slaar said as he rechecked the logistics being organized.

Luna let out a mirthless chuckle. “Did I not say before that I seek to gauge you on the field of battle? It is much the same for the others as well. They worship my sister and I, but it is you who rules over them. We shall forgive them their transgressions against us, for they will be doing so by their worldly connections, which we have always put as the most important bonds one can have.”

The prince nodded as snow was being cleared away by the mages. The blizzards had ceased, and the sun was shining through the clouds, steadily breaking them apart. The windigoes had gone quiet, but their presence was still felt.

“The Lord of the Skies has returned to make them go quiet. Not even I could manage this.”

The princess nodded in agreement. “The Sonic Rainboom and the Cry must have clashed and drew his attention. I hope he is the only one of the ancients that have reawakened.”

“At least there are six we know that won't.”

Luna gave the dragon a look with a flash of sadness in her gaze before spread her wings and leaped up into the air to take flight. Slaar watched the way her mane and tail dazzled with stars and let out a sigh as she swooped around.

“If things were different, I would ask if you had to go. But I know you must, and that we will meet again on the battlefield.”

“Do not hold back, Slaar. Come with all your might or not at all.”

His lips curled into a smile. “I will not disappoint.”

Luna nodded and turned back to the sky, her horn glowed brightly before she vanished with a flash. With the lunar princess gone, Slaar turned back to the preparations for the long march ahead. Vincent walked over with a map in hand.

“My prince, we have divined the fastest route up to Equestria. There is a land where the buffalo run through. It is not a hearty land, but the changelings have shared with us their own information and there is a transportation system we can obtain control over at these two towns. They are called Appleoosa and Dodge Junction.”

Slaar took a look at the maps, then at the carts and wagons being loaded up. “Get the mages together. We'll attempt a mass teleportation as far as we can.”


At her hive Chrysalis took stock of what love was gathered up in her absence, along with intelligence from the southern regions of Equestria. Masses of changelings moved around, tending to the larva, spreading stored love to feed the others, polishing and preparing armor.

She had her greatest warriors by her side as they plotted out the marching orders, using various maps laid over one another for as best a route as possible.

“Given Mana's circumstances he will want a single, decisive battle for either glorious victory or humiliating defeat. He can't afford to keep an army out on the road for very long. For that reason, we have planned for operations targeting Las Pegasus, Appleoosa, and Dodge Junction. Gaining control over the southern rails will be vital for further operations deeper into Equestria.”

Chrysalis nodded as she listened to her experienced soldiers and their plans. All sound ideas, certainly.

“I will take our most inexperienced forces to assist Slaar in his foolish gambit.” Chrysalis said as she gazed around the room. “That is not up for debate. You are all fine warriors in your own right. If I fall, you must spread and build your own hives. You all have the potential to become great queens. Let it be written that, for all my faults, my love for my children has never wavered.”


“The Roc is following us, your highness,” her guard said as she watched as the coastline in the distance slowly grew closer and closer.

The griffons having had chosen a route to make landfall between Baltimare and Fillydelphia. The minotaurs were close behind them, their ships being carefully towed by several of the other airships.

“He won't let the airships close. He wants me, and me alone, to try and reach him. Without the prosthetic.”

The guard blinked and furrowed his brow in confusion. “What? How? I mean, you could grab a cloud but you'd still need wings to push it.”

Push... push... Gilda blinked as she turned around, spying the great form of the progenitor.

“I think I know what must be done. But, that will have to wait until we're better situated. Slaar and Chrysalis should be moving their forces from the south by the time we reach Baltimare. We'll need to support the minotaurs from the air.”


King Phaitos stood on the bow of his ship as it cut through along the waves, breathing in the salt-spray. Their sails were augmented by his men rowing, drums beating to keep them all in time. “We shall pillage and raid the coasts as our ancestors had done. We must strike fast and take what we can and torch what we cannot.


Celestia looked upon the plans laid out. She looked up to her assembled generals and nodded. “Begin all military operations immediately. Appleoosa and Dodge Junction are the furthest south and the most vulnerable. We lose those and they gain rail access to the rest of Equestria. Have the Manehattan militia head to Fillydelphia to hold position until we can verify if the griffons will strike there or Baltimare.”

“And leave Manehattan undefended?” One earth pony general asked.

“Manehattan would be hell to try and take for the griffons. It has many large buildings closely packed together. They wouldn't go for it. No, Fillydelphia and Baltimare are both organized in a less dense manner, making them prime targets. Baltimare is the most southern of the three cities along the coast as well, if they want to have all of their forces to link up they need to take that city for its rails.”

Prince Blueblood cleared his throat. “Princess, this may be uncomfortable for me to suggest, but given the forces arrayed against us in such a swift manner and the inevitable loss of the Azures perhaps we should lift the ban on wingblades for the pegasi.”

Celestia closed her eyes and her lips creased into a frown. “We will wait for initial force projections once our forces at the Azures give a report. And give word to all cities connected by the rails that they cannot lose the railyards to the enemy. Destroy them if capture is likely.”

“Yes Princess!”

Author's Note:

Just a little 'here's where everyone is at at the moment', next chapter will be better.